• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - Review Thread [Second wave of reviews coming in]

takriel

Ok so I started watching his stream after I posted. Seems like he is getting whooped and he is pissed about it.

He is missing LOTS of important stuff in his gameplay. He is not using Warp points to refill his MP and health, he is not using his MP one bit, not using Royal arms, not switching weapons on the fly to mix things up, he is heavily relying on elemancy and tech strikes. He is not well stocked up on potions and he is not warping out of enemy attacks at all.

Either he is rushing or not paying attention.

Thing is, games should be more self-explanatory. People not knowing how to play a game properly is never a sign of good game design.

Don't try and make your game mechanics complex by adding a ton of things to do, but rather focus on a few deep mechanics that can be grasped quickly but need some time and practice to be mastered.

Dark Souls is a nice example of this.

Jamiaro

Ok so I started watching his stream after I posted. Seems like he is getting whooped and he is pissed about it.

He is missing LOTS of important stuff in his gameplay. He is not using Warp points to refill his MP and health, he is not using his MP one bit, not using Royal arms, not switching weapons on the fly to mix things up, he is heavily relying on elemancy and tech strikes. He is not well stocked up on potions and he is not warping out of enemy attacks at all.

Either he is rushing or not paying attention.

Damn it. :/

I was hoping that he'd pay a little bit more attention. Gonna join the stream now too.

Kevtones

Kinda feeling some magic here.

Been around since 7 but never at launch. Played them all.

I like it. Great ideas everywhere. Some bad ones too.

Spotify integration needs to be a thing in a game like this.

zkorejo

Thing is, games should be more self-explanatory. People not knowing how to play a game properly is never a sign of good game design.

Don't try and make your game mechanics complex by adding a ton of things to do, but rather focus on a few deep mechanics that can be grasped quickly but need some time and practice to be mastered.

It was explained just fine to me. Nothing I said is complicated, it was all explained pretty early on in the game.

Warp points are pretty big and glow blue with a triangle prompt. Really hard to miss. Stocking up on potions before starting missions is common sense. And warping, well you have a power you know well about and was used pretty much the entire time in the movie (which he has seen)... use it!

EDIT: Now he is retrying the level and doing much better than the last time.

It was explained just fine to me. Nothing I said is complicated, it was all explained pretty early on in the game.

Warp points are pretty big and glow blue with a triangle prompt. Really hard to miss. Stocking up on potions before starting missions is common sense. And warping, well you have a power you know well about and was used pretty much the entire time in the movie (which he has seen)... use it!

EDIT: Now he is retrying the level and doing much better than the last time.
He has improved in battle from what I can tell and if he is willing to stick this far with the game, I am sure he is enjoying it to some extent :p

If you see me playing FFXV and getting my ass kicked by the mobs, you will think I hate it too.

FF7R will be fine. Nomura is focusing on FF7R more than KH3.

I've assumed that co-director Tai Yasue has been doing a lot of the heavy lifting on the KH series in recent years, probably more than he gets public credit for. Nomura has been out of the public eye for such a while that it's hard even as a diehard SE fan to tell how much he's responsible for and how much is just name recognition.

zkorejo

He has improved in battle from what I can tell and if he is willing to stick this far with the game, I am sure he is enjoying it to some extent :p

If you see me playing FFXV and getting my ass kicked by the mobs, you will think I hate it too.

Oh yea he sure is enjoying. Early on, he took 2 mins to give his impressions. He says its a good game that is pretty challenging at times, something he is not used to because of WRPGs.

I think it's definitely something that has to 'click' with said person.

It's extremely old and all, when I first played Episode Duscae, I could not stand the combat, then I tried again and instantly fell in love with it.
Yup. I played all three demos actually and hated it each time, but in the actual game, it clicked with me. I can't fault AJ for not clicking with it yet.

AngryNeox

Neo Member

Well the warp mechanic is very simple yet he doesn't understand it completely.

Also this game has it's origins in turn based games with tons of items and stats. If you fail to take a look at all your items it's your own fault I guess.

AndersK

So is it good !? Worth buying right now ?

Only reason not to (if you're interested) is to wait for framepacing patches or a price drop (as most other AAA games this year.).

As to being good, it has issues, mostly narrative-related, but I think its better than expected? The best I can say is that it's a very different game, can't say I played something like this before. Better than the sum of its parts, with a weird charm to it. But YMMV.

Karak

Has the ACG reviwe been posted? Overall a positive review that also addresses the enormous issues with the game. No score given. He still talks too fast :(

Actually I did give a score
That's what most streamers do. Their primary focus is on entertaining their audience. Understanding gameplay fundamentals is secondary.
I have been insanely lucky then:) For the most part the ones I watch weren't only good they knew secrets of whatever game they were playing to the point that they easily instructed while streaming.

Back to Mighty 85 on OC

kLy06an.png

ethomaz

Banned
Two more reviews added...

Trusted Reviews 4/5
For all its flaws – the dodgy camera, the lack of dungeon save points, the magic system, the bitty, oddly-structured plot – Final Fantasy 15 is the best single-player Final Fantasy in a decade. The new combat system is more action-oriented, but still surprisingly tactical, while the new focus on open-world exploration brings the game and its world to life. Crammed with character, choice and interest, it’s an RPG where the good times keep on rolling down the road.

Easy Allies 4.5/5
The burden of expectation weighs heavy and in that sense Final Fantasy XV is not a cure-all that will please everyone. At the same time, the game feels like a leap in the right direction. At its end, we aren’t thinking about story inconsistencies or derivative side quests. We’ve found ourselves attached to a group of four friends and we’re thankful for the adventure.

dracula_x

Wired – https://www.wired.com/2016/11/final-fantasy-xv-review-kinda/
lol

WIRED WOULD LOVE to be presenting you with our review of the 10-years-in-the-making RPG Final Fantasy XV, the sort of timely analysis you may be seeing elsewhere on the internet this lovely November morning. However, for reasons unbeknownst to us, the game’s publisher Square Enix declined to allow WIRED to review the game in time for its release. This practice is becoming increasingly common, and while we can only speculate as to Square Enix’s reasoning for leaving us out of the review fun, we’re happy to do so: perhaps our willingness to call it like we play it (and maybe even mourn it—twice) doesn’t fit neatly into their hopes for glowing release-day accolades.

^ honestly, I don't understand this. What's the point of gaming press then?

dracula_x

Seems like SE blocked sites that give less than average metacritic scores to games... to be fair that shows a lack of confidence from them.

SE didn't "block" them. They didn't send a review copy before release – this is the main reason why we probably won't see review from Wired.

the game’s publisher Square Enix declined to allow WIRED to review the game in time for its release

ethomaz

Banned
SE didn't "block" them. They didn't send a review copy before release – this is the main reason why we probably won't see review from Wired.
There are another article talking about that few days ago.

SE is really trying to block some sites/magazines that usually give lower score than Metacritic.

ethomaz

Banned
People who actually care about reviews usually don't buy games at launch. So, ^ this is OK.
You will be surprised how reviews/metascore affect sales of games.

Better reviews = more sales.

Not just Square Enix but others publishers are trying hard to limit reviews to post launch to not affect sales...

dracula_x

You will be surprised how reviews/metascore affect sales of games.

Better reviews = more sales.

Not just Square Enix but others publishers are trying hard to limit reviews to post launch to not affect sales...

Of course, nobody like to lose money, it's a business after all. I can't blame publishers for that.

PlayerOne

Banned
Easy Allies 4.5/5
The burden of expectation weighs heavy and in that sense Final Fantasy XV is not a cure-all that will please everyone. At the same time, the game feels like a leap in the right direction. At its end, we aren’t thinking about story inconsistencies or derivative side quests. We’ve found ourselves attached to a group of four friends and we’re thankful for the adventure.

See, that is the thing a lot of games miss out on. A lot are so focused on telling something that they forget what makes the game enjoyable. People do not look for crazy detailed facial animations and wall-of-text lore. I think Japanese games capture something in terms of characterisation, settings, and world-building that Western games just could not tap into. Still, the most memorable worlds and characters are from JPN games. I just think they can build a world that does not rely on obsessively minding every rendered detail on each frame.

bronson

Of course, nobody like to lose money, it's a business after all. I can't blame publishers for that.
You can absolutely blame the publishers for being duplicitous, since in many cases they're more than happy to make deals for preview coverage, only to shun those same sites when it comes to review time.

Eolz

So, what has been the feeling since the MC score dropped back down to 84? I remember a lot of people betting earlier on.

MogCakes

HW may be another story, but ARR is 80 to 90% filler

(...)

Imagine if a single-player Final Fantasy was like this. (XIV being an MMO should not be overlooked, especially how it chooses to blend MMO and traditional aspects - for example, predecessor FFXI had story content and level progression completely separate.)

I know well your opinion on XIV from the game's launch (and your comparisons of it to XI) and disagree entirely. ARR's story has many optional sidequests, but the main storyline strikes a balance between seemingly inane fetch quests and story content. Your figure of 80% to 90% is a flat lie. I will agree, however, that it drags out many of its story quests into multiple parts that are solely there for padding out playtime. That doesn't detract from the plot itself, which I believe is one of the better FF plotlines. You downplay how invested people were at the finale of the vanilla story despite the terrible design of the dungeon cutscenes.

That also describes a bunch of games. My point is if those quests made up the majority of the game's main quest (until post-release updates, expansion).

The majority of ARR's MSQ is talking to NPCs and killing monsters or boss encounters, not fetch quests. In just about every FF, progression of the game outside of combat is talking to NPCs or watching cutscenes, or moving your characters across the world.

Vanilla XIV story sucks. It's 90% go here and collect bullshit. Heavensward is great.
Blatantly false. Heavensward's gameplay outside combat is the same as ARR's sans method of traversing the world (and only after doing optional sidequests to complete the crystals that unlock flight). Go to place, talk to NPC, watch cutscene. Some quests even have you do odds and ends for other characters - the same as ARR.

The biggest issue is the story, which they tried to keep the same but at the expense of a lot of cuts since the original idea was to be a trilogy of games.

Otherwise yeh, it is not comparable to something like RE4 whose entire story was scrapped multiple times and rebooted even if the basic gameplay remained the same with over the shoulder camera.

When Versus XIII was still Versus XIII was it really meant to be a trilogy?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
When Versus XIII was still Versus XIII was it really meant to be a trilogy?

Its just speculation. We don't even know what the original script of Versus entailed in the end to begin with, let alone whatever plans Nomura had for the project in that way going forward.

We know 15 the end product retained some similar recognizable elements and certain concepts from those days, but that's about it.

Its just speculation. We don't even know what the original script of Versus entailed in the end to begin with, let alone whatever plans Nomura had for the project in that way going forward.

We know 15 the end product retained some similar recognizable elements and certain concepts from those days, but that's about it.

I'm suggesting that we be wary of excusing FFXV under the pretext that it's truncating three games. That seems really unlikely to me.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I'm suggesting that we be wary of excusing FFXV under the pretext that it's truncating three games. That seems really unlikely to me.

Its very implausible i agree, impossible even for anyone to know if it was the case to begin with.

What we do know, is that Tabata significantly rewrote the story with help from the new script writer, and changed character priorities and motivations around. Deleted people, and added people as well.

What we also know is that even this rewritten Tabata scenario suffered significant cutbacks and neutering due to time and budgetary constraints, to the point where many of the real time footage and cut-scenes in previous trailers never made it into the game proper at any point.

THey suffered significantly in development of this project.

Yes, it was MOST certainly going to be a trilogy.

This can be seen right at the end of the E3 2013 trailer.

A-World-of-the-Versus-Epic.jpg

Square Enix trademarked it back in 2013

Hashimoto replied that Final Fantasy XV is a large scale game and many stories may come at a later time.
Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2013/08/0...at-more-final-fantasy-xv/#6zqQG03ri6qpDRWm.99

Yes, it was MOST certainly going to be a trilogy.

This can be seen right at the end of the E3 2013 trailer.

A-World-of-the-Versus-Epic.jpg

Square Enix trademarked it back in 2013

This doesn't excuse shit, though. It was truncated: fine. It was truncated poorly: there's the problem. If it wasn't truncated and the existing story doesn't resemble what Nomura envisioned for his multi-part series that's also fine, but again that doesn't excuse poor quality and execution on the story they chose to tell instead.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
IGN Japan - 7.8

Pros: Fusion of fantasy, steam punk and modern aesthetic worldview.
Fresh open world with a focus on traveling.
Characters can take pictures in the game.
Cidney pumps your gasoline (lol).

Cons: Story/characters.
Reliance on outside media such as the movie, anime, etc.
Some controls.

2San

This doesn't excuse shit, though. It was truncated: fine. It was truncated poorly: there's the problem. If it wasn't truncated and the existing story doesn't resemble what Nomura envisioned for his multi-part series that's also fine, but again that doesn't excuse poor quality and execution on the story they chose to tell instead.

This is what I say about FFXII and Xenogears, but people give those games a pass for some reason. Don't get me wrong I still like xenogears, but the 2nd disc was a huge disappointment. FFXII was a bore for me, but that's mostly due to the combat.

Top Bottom