• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - Review Thread [Second wave of reviews coming in]

It's not a good idea to compare metacritic score of games in different generations. Reviewers are far more strict on scoring and use a lot more of the scale now compared to past generations. Many games that would've scored in the low 90s in previous gens would get a mid to low 80 these days with current scoring standards/scale being used.

Yeah had FF13 been released in today's environment there's no way it would have gotten anywhere close to 80.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Combat, enemy encounters and bosses most likely wouldn't.

other than that who knows.

We already know tabata got rid of tons of stuff, even from his own version, so its hard to make a claim like the game would have ended up anywhere near the same in the end as what Nomura had planned. I don't think it ended up how Tabata really wanted it himself, not really.

I think the main point is that we'll never actually know the exact circumstances...and i would pay a million dollars to get a manifesto of the exact timeline of events from when they started development on FNC up until FF15's launch the other day

Ridesh

Banned
I know that blacklisting a site is very much within a publisher's prerogative, but blacklisting a site because their review score was lower than the current average on Metacritic is pretty depressing, especially since a 75 score is great. Very classy, Koch Media.

At any rate, I'm really glad that XV is reviewing well, I'm enjoying it myself. Something like the above situation does feel a bit shit, though, sigh. I guess I always had hoped that kind of smackdown doesn't happen from publishers.
Yeah, this deserves a thread, I would do it myself but my english is not fluid enough to make a quick translation of the article.

Tyaren

I disagree. Most reviewers grade games, and for all intents and purposes 13 was a decent enough game. It was just a bad Final Fantasy.

That is exactly what I always use to say:
Final Fantasy XIII is a good game, it is just a bad Final Fantasy.

farisr

I disagree. Most reviewers grade games, and for all intents and purposes 13 was a decent enough game. It was just a bad Final Fantasy.
yeah, don't agree with the "nowhere close to 80" part. It probably could've gotten mid to high 70s. The combat system was fun, the graphics and music were great.

The level design would've gotten more criticism, and the story reception would be a mixed bag.

StereoVsn

yeah, don't agree with the "nowhere close to 80" part. It probably could've gotten mid to high 70s. The combat system was fun, the graphics and music were great.

The level design would've gotten more criticism, and the story reception would be a mixed bag.
I fully disagree. Dialogue and VA were horrid, the entire cast except for Sazh was unlikeable or outright terrible, level design was... what level design? Storyline itself was not just bad but it wasn't really told properly.

The only two somewhat good features were combat (highly controversial in itself) and art direction/design. I don't see XIII getting beyond mid 70s if it were released this year.

Edit: Personally I would have rated it 6/10. I never finished the game (or got past say 2/3) on PS3 or PC in multiple attempts.

That is exactly what I always use to say:
Final Fantasy XIII is a good game, it is just a bad Final Fantasy.

I usually call it a 'fun' game because I think there are still plenty of weird design decisions that keep it from being considered a legitimately good game.

It wasn't horrible, but it was missing almost all of the elements that actually make FF special.

Considering the reviews and feedback from friends, I am probably gonna pick the game up sometime after I return from PSX. No hurry as I am still playing Persona 5 at the moment.

Karak

AngryNeox

Neo Member
Angry Joe is hating it so far, expect a low score from him.
He complained about not being able to fast travel to new locations. But forgot that he could fast travel to the closed location next to it.

Also seems like he doesn't know Elixir heals you including your lost max health. Urgh, makes me sad. :(

I'm super glad the game is doing well and people are enjoying it. I don't think putting this whole project back together was easy for Tabata. I'm only on chapter 2 so I can't comment on the game as a whole but I'm really enjoying it so far. The opening could have been what versus's opening was though (the invasion) instead of a car in the middle of nowhere. I get that was what KG was for but an actual invasion like Stella and Noctis at the party would have been great. Ah well, it doesn't matter now. I'm just happy the game is with me and I want to enjoy it fully.

Karak

He complained about not being able to fast travel to new locations. But forgot that he could fast travel to the closed location next to it.

Also seems like he doesn't know Elixir heals you including your lost max health. Urgh, makes me sad. :(

I honestly had to stop watching streams. People aren't even getting the very basics and bitching about it.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Tabata took an aimless project shaped it into something remotely playable and actually good.

Dude deserves vacations and a big fat raise.

Him and YoshiP are the real MVP at SE.

Watching AngryJoe stream this is a living nightmare. There's a difference between not understanding certain mechanics and being dumb as dirt.

He entered a boss fight with a big robot, gets the ability to use a summon. He then spends 5 minutes complaining it makes no sense and isn't working while he runs away from the boss arena. Can't say I have much interest in his review of the game after seeing him struggle to understand the game's mechanics when he's already about a third of the way through the game.

Not looking for someone to be an expert at the games they cover but at least to have some competence.

ramyeon

Watching AngryJoe stream this is a living nightmare. There's a difference between not understanding certain mechanics and being dumb as dirt.

He entered a boss fight with a big robot, gets the ability to use a summon. He then spends 5 minutes complaining it makes no sense and isn't working while he runs away from the boss arena. Can't say I have much interest in his review of the game after seeing him struggle to understand the game's mechanics when he's already about a third of the way through the game.

Not looking for someone to be an expert at the games they cover but at least to have some competence.
I have this issue with a lot of streamers. They're often too busy doing commentary or reading chats that they miss stuff the game clearly tells them to do and then start blaming the game for it. Very frustrating.

JORMBO

Darkness no more

I got stuck at this part for a few minutes today. It kept telling me to hit the left trigger to do the summon. It didn't work and I was wondering what I was doing wrong for awhile. It didn't actually summon until I held the trigger in for about 5 seconds.

Looks like he is enjoyed it atleast. I expect 7 from him at most, which is alright. If he enjoys the ending and post-game content, then ,maybe 8.

I got stuck at this part for a few minutes today. It kept telling me to hit the left trigger to do the summon. It didn't work and I was wondering what I was doing wrong for awhile. It didn't actually summon until I held the trigger in for about 5 seconds.

I can get being a little confused by it since I tried tapping it a couple times. The problem is it didn't work for him so he starting mashing R2 instead and left the boss area and end like 2 rooms away from it while still tapping. Pretty comical.

Wagram

Thought it was hilarious when he called the stock car music terrible, which included like 3 FF OSTs.

UberTag

I honestly had to stop watching streams. People aren't even getting the very basics and bitching about it.
That's what most streamers do. Their primary focus is on entertaining their audience. Understanding gameplay fundamentals is secondary.

Trace

Banned
Angry Joe can't play a game properly?

What a shock.

He's a nice guy but his grasp of gameplay mechanics at times leaves much to be desired.

AJ does have a rough time with certain mechanics at times, but in fairness, I think the game doesn't do a great job explaining itself, even with the tutorial. Easily one of my least favorite introductions to a battle system considering that I actually rather enjoy it.
Is it cheating to bring up Pokemon? People always complain about that because *insert excuses*.
Game that has a heavy kid bend? I think Pokemon being turn-based is pretty easy to understand.

Makikou

PS for the thread: W3 battle system is shot and serviceable at best... FFXV is indeed better than it but serviceable too... both are not inspiring battle systems.

I hate W3 combat a LOT, I literally can't play that game since it does not click at all.

FFXV on the other hand, it feels great and just clicked with me. Still learning to use the Wait mode but i'm all in for Action. Using the Greatsword feels so meaty in FFXV while the added speed of using a normal sword can really be felt. I have no issue with dodging either and the block + parry is actually understandable in how it works.
Only thing I've yet to crack is how to reliably perform link-strikes.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Tabata took an aimless project shaped it into something remotely playable and actually good.

Dude deserves vacations and a big fat raise.

Him and YoshiP are the real MVP at SE.

Let's not make up narratives. Tabata had a project thrust upon him by higher ups after Nomura's ejection, no doubt, but let's not make it as if he was someone holding up the project with his unique talents.

AJ does have a rough time with certain mechanics at times, but in fairness, I think the game doesn't do a great job explaining itself, even with the tutorial. Easily one of my least favorite introductions to a battle system considering that I actually rather enjoy it.

I think it's definitely something that has to 'click' with said person.

It's extremely old and all, when I first played Episode Duscae, I could not stand the combat, then I tried again and instantly fell in love with it.

Aters

Has the ACG reviwe been posted? Overall a positive review that also addresses the enormous issues with the game. No score given. He still talks too fast :(

Let's not make up narratives. Tabata had a project thrust upon him by higher ups after Nomura's ejection, no doubt, but let's not make it as if he was someone holding up the project with his unique talents.

I think "actually getting job done in a timely manner" is a unique talent, a rare one too when it comes to Square Enix. I agree that he's not much of a creative type though. He'd make a good producer if you ask me so a raise is really not a bad idea

Shatohin

Neo Member
So I started playing yesterday. And it seems broken in terms of smoothness of the picture. Many people including Digital Foundry complained and waiting for the patch that fixes stuttering.
Yes, and overall textures and menus is complete garbage.
Great achievement for 8 years of development.
Only HDR works great.

Before you ask - yes I have tried Optimized video setting - looks like PS3 graphics on 65" TV, no thanks...

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I think "actually getting job done in a timely manner" is a unique talent, a rare one too when it comes to Square Enix. I agree that he's not much of a creative type though. He'd make a good producer if you ask me so a raise is really not a bad idea

Tai Yasue should be given credit for having the same role on Kingdom Hearts. Nomura might still be in charge, but having a game planner who knows how to coordinate a project seems to do wonder for his games.

zkorejo

I almost always agree with AJ's reviews. Plus he also always gives the score as I do. I am predicting a 8.5 (or 8 if he doesnt give .5s)

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
A game going through development hell and resulting in an 84? That's nuts.
Resident Evil 4 went through development hell too.

Jamiaro

I almost always agree with AJ's reviews. Plus he also always gives the score as I do. I am predicting a 8.5 (or 8 if he doesnt give .5s)

I'll let his review decide if I'll buy this or not. Some of the streams I've watched have made me feel.. dunno, uncomfortable a bit, I guess? Fighting seems good and all, but all the camera-posing, boybandish looks etc seems so weird for me.

I hate W3 combat a LOT, I literally can't play that game since it does not click at all.

FFXV on the other hand, it feels great and just clicked with me. Still learning to use the Wait mode but i'm all in for Action. Using the Greatsword feels so meaty in FFXV while the added speed of using a normal sword can really be felt. I have no issue with dodging either and the block + parry is actually understandable in how it works.
Only thing I've yet to crack is how to reliably perform link-strikes.
Link strikes - attack an enemy from behind while close to party members. It's another reason this battle system is so much deeper than most give it credit for. Positioning is key, and relative to your own allies as well as enemies.

Yes, you can mash or hold circle to victory against trivial enemies. Good luck to anyone trying that at night time or against bigger hunts though =P This battle system is easy to learn but hard to master. Very skill based, which for a FF game will be divisive, but I love it.

RE4 gets rebooted plenty and is not even the same game conceptually, FFXV tries to retain its Versus elements.
The biggest issue is the story, which they tried to keep the same but at the expense of a lot of cuts since the original idea was to be a trilogy of games.

Otherwise yeh, it is not comparable to something like RE4 whose entire story was scrapped multiple times and rebooted even if the basic gameplay remained the same with over the shoulder camera.

zkorejo

I'll let his review decide if I'll buy this or not. Some of the streams I've watched have made me feel.. dunno, uncomfortable a bit, I guess? Fighting seems good and all, but all the camera-posing, boybandish looks etc seems so weird for me.

Ok so I started watching his stream after I posted. Seems like he is getting whooped and he is pissed about it.

He is missing LOTS of important stuff in his gameplay. He is not using Warp points to refill his MP and health, he is not using his MP one bit, not using Royal arms, not switching weapons on the fly to mix things up, he is heavily relying on elemancy and tech strikes. He is not well stocked up on potions and he is not warping out of enemy attacks at all.

Either he is rushing or not paying attention.

Top Bottom