• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XV: The English Voice Cast

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Given the small cast, I wouldn't assume any of them die/leave until perhaps the very end of the game.

And I still think that assuming Chapter 0 takes place right at the end is a mistake.
Part of the plan was probably to have a larger segment of the game take place after a timeskip. Wouldn't be surprised if it was reduced or cut down.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Could happen.
I think the trigger will occur after whatever occurs in Insomnia in the Chapter 0 part. Insomnia is right next to hammerhead and the starter area.

It will also help
cut down development time by having a second version of the same world instead of having double the size of a world to achieve the same volume of gameplay.

KupoNut

Part of the plan was probably to have a larger segment of the game take place after a timeskip. Wouldn't be surprised if it was reduced or cut down.

I've been thinking with the opening loading screen doing a story throwback to FF1, that maybe the world will be shrouded in darkness, literally
(which would be the Plague of the Stars Tabata mentioned before where days gradually become shorter.)

Maybe we get to play in the same locations again near the end, but with a darker/destroyed/tainted style to them.

Koozek

I've been thinking with the opening loading screen doing a story throwback to FF1, that maybe the world will be shrouded in darkness, literally
(which would be the Plague of the Stars Tabata mentioned before where days gradually become shorter.)

Maybe we get to play in the same locations again near the end, but with a darker/destroyed/tainted style to them.

"Go back and kill every boss in his "Dark" version again!" padding section incoming :D

Voror

"Go back and kill every boss in his "Dark" version again!" padding section incoming :D

Ugh,that could be irritating unless the bosses are like transformed with different tactics. Have we really seen a full boss fight for this game though? I think the closest were glimpses of Titan and maybe Levi.

Koozek

Ugh,that could be irritating unless the bosses are like transformed with different tactics. Have we really seen a full boss fight for this game though? I think the closest were glimpses of Titan and maybe Levi.
"Kill every Dark Summon infected by the Plague of Stars!" then :p

Koozek

I'm just worried how I will play this game with cringefest going on and my wife in the same room.

RustyNails
with arms wide open / under the sunlight / welcome to this place / i'll show you everythaaaang
(Today, 06:09 PM)

Loved that song as a kid :D

NateDog

I have always gone with the intention of playing XV with Japanese dubs (especially after playing Type-0 in Japanese and then hearing some of the English VA in comparison) but if I played it in English the missus might actually sit and watch and enjoy it (thus giving me more time with it too). Not sure I can deal with some of the type of lines we heard from some of the first English footage though.

The only JRPG that never gave me cringe fest was FF12.

I liked XII plenty.

But the dialog made me cringe frequently when they over-indulged the faux-Elizabethan (Too late, and to their sorrow, do those who misplace their trust in gods learn their sad fate -- while prepping for battle, sure buddy. Want to embed anymore clauses in there in the meantime?).

Also, Ashe's skirt and Fran's battle thong.

Lots of other less cringeworthy jrpgs. Say, Suikoden, or FF VI.

Ishida

Banned
I liked XII plenty.

But the dialog made me cringe frequently when they over-indulged the faux-Elizabethan (Too late into sorrow do those who misplace their trust in gods learn their sad fate -- while prepping for battle, sure).

Also, Ashe's skirt and Fran's battle thong.

Lots of other less cringeworthy jrpgs. Say, Suikoden, or FF VI.

Or Chrono Trigger.

PLENTY of cringe in FFXII, it's not even funny.

"I'M CAPTAIN BASCH FON RONSENBURG OF DALMASCA"

Fuck that noise.

Noticed it too and it looks way better now, imo. Subtle but effective change.

Someone on Twitter made this:
yg1lab4.gif

Source: https://twitter.com/0408mark58/status/768049030723010561

Nice

KupoNut

Hmm. I kind of prefer the earlier version, but it's not really that noticeable for me so I don't mind.

EDIT: Wait, never mind. New version looks better. Something about her eyes... or the area around it?

Ideally they should've gone for something in the middle, almost feels like she's glowing or instanding on a light floor tile

Gbraga

Altissia changes in one video. Didn't notice the city is larger now or the splash effects.

I can't wait to see how the 2013 setpiece will look like in-game, please be good!

I was wondering, is this scene cut from the game? Didn't see anyone mentioning it, and it wasn't in the 50 minute trailer. Not to mention "you think they'll be okay?" doesn't match with the changes made to the english dialogue, like them already knowing Regis is dead from the newspaper.

Unless this scene is actually later in the game, on their way to Altissia?

Tyaren

Leviathan got also some antialiasing in the meantime. ;)

It seems they were/are still building Altissia. This is how it was supposed to look like in the beginning:

resize.php

In the earliest environment trailer it looked a lot smaller and less detailed though. Notable are also the giant angel statues and the Campanile (Venice's famous bell tower) that are missing:

174_160519003345_8.jpg

At a later stage in development the angel statues are there...

29200671015_557ef85b3e_o.jpg

But the Campanile is still missing. But it seems they have already build it's base (that big, plain block). So it will probably be there in the end. ;)

artsi

The Altissia in that Leviathan cutscene could also be a static set piece, considering how simple the buildings look.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The only JRPG that never gave me cringe fest was FF12.

I wouldn't call it cringey. I'd say it was not so exciting for me coz it tried to be a WRPG.

I did finish it though, but the environments are I dunno... Not as exciting.

Asd202

Leviathan got also some antialiasing in the meantime. ;)

It seems they were/are still building Altissia. This is how it was supposed to look like in the beginning:

In the earliest environment trailer it looked a lot smaller and less detailed though. Notable are also the giant angel statues and the Campanile (Venice's famous bell tower) that are missing:

It was also surrounded by waterfalls before.

Tyaren

Yes, but they added some of those too. You can already see them in the Platinum Demo running down the surrounding cliffs. But they are still a bit measly and more like trickles.

maxresdefault.jpg

But since the city looks better every time we see it I am optimistic it'll look alright in the end.

By the way, I hope they are not going to destroy the city that badly in the Leviathan fight... Would be such a shame...

Inviusx

Is it just me or does Matthew Mercer sound exactly like Troy Baker?

Is there a word to describe that type of voice?

Asd202

Yes, but they added some of those too. You can already see them in the Platinum Demo running down the surrounding cliffs. But they are still a bit measly and more like trickles.

maxresdefault.jpg

But since the city looks better every time we see it I am optimistic it'll look alright in the end.

By the way, I hope they are not going to destroy the city that badly in the Leviathan fight... Would be such a shame...

Well they were much bigger before and looked far better.

Voror

Finally watched the whole thing last night. I do actually like all the VAs. And I cannot figure out why they aren't having Ignis' VA just use his normal speaking voice which would be so much better.

I think Ardyn was my favorite. Dude seems to be having so much fun.

Philippo

Finally watched the whole thing last night. I do actually like all the VAs. And I cannot figure out why they aren't having Ignis' VA just use his normal speaking voice which would be so much better.

I think Ardyn was my favorite. Dude seems to be having so much fun.

This, so much this.

Akainu

Or Chrono Trigger.

PLENTY of cringe in FFXII, it's not even funny.

"I'M CAPTAIN BASCH FON RONSENBURG OF DALMASCA"

Fuck that noise.
PLENTY OF CRINGE!

Got anymore?

But the dialog made me cringe frequently when they over-indulged the faux-Elizabethan (Too late, and to their sorrow, do those who misplace their trust in gods learn their sad fate -- while prepping for battle, sure buddy. Want to embed anymore clauses in there in the meantime?).

This is cringe to you?

Akainu

Oh yeah! Like Vaan, Penelo and Ashe's designs, the design of that girl at the bar, Larsa's design...

What qualities as cringe these days is pretty weak. Even designs i find silly hardy qualify as cringe. Oh well different strokes i guess?

Curb your enthusiasm is like the definition of cringe to me. Nothing in FFXII makes me feel like that.

And whats your problem with Penelo? Her design is nice.

And admit it you just wish you have vaan's rock hard abs. :p

Philippo

I hope we get another Voice Cast trailer, we need to know the voices of :
Iedolas
Ravus
Aranea
Cid
Fucking Gentiana ffs
Cindy and Iris too i guess...

Otherwise it feels like they're 2nd or 3rd tier characters.

I hope we get another Voice Cast trailer, we need to know the voices of :
Iedolas
Ravus
Aranea
Cid
Fucking Gentiana ffs
Cindy and Iris too i guess...

Otherwise it feels like they're 2nd or 3rd tier characters.

I'd guess that all of those mentioned *are* 2nd or 3rd tier characters. The trailer we got gave us all the major players (so far as we know) and (I assume) the main villain.

PLENTY OF CRINGE!

Got anymore?

This is cringe to you?

Yes. It's overwritten. They want people who probably couldn't accurately parse three lines of Skakespeare or Marlowe to feel as if they're listening to a serious, layered, deeply inter-textual style of dramatic dialog, but still be able to understand what's going on.

So they end up with needlessly flowery language that flies too high to come off as realistic speech, but not high enough to be particularly rich or interesting or worthy of second thought.

This is particularly evident in the Judge's lines, which are much worse than most of the main party's.

I don't dislike AO Smith - he did a great job with the Bestiary, for example. But I think XII's translation gets way more credit than it deserves.

Philippo

I'd guess that all of those mentioned *are* 2nd or 3rd tier characters. The trailer we got gave us all the major players (so far as we know) and (I assume) the main villain.

Ssshh don't ruin my "Ravus is the Sephirot of this game" fan-dream yet.

And i'm still not convinced Ardyn is the main villain.

wmlk

Ssshh don't ruin my "Ravus is the Sephirot of this game" fan-dream yet.

And i'm still not convinced Ardyn is the main villain.

Ardyn's looked more interesting than Ravus since the first time I saw him. People were in love with his design in the reveal thread.

Man, the E3 2013 character line-up reveal was so good. It felt like a huge modern fantasy family drama. I think it helped that I didn't get to see the characters actually move and do things to break the illusion.

wmlk

The waterfalls look like shit unfortunately. Altissia's been a dream (literally dreamed that I drowned in Altissia lol) since E3 2013. I'm not as disappointed about how it looks, but I wish the waterfalls were louder in the audio mixing. Those waterfalls weren't very loud in Platinum Demo.

The waterfalls look like shit unfortunately. Altissia's been a dream (literally dreamed that I drowned in Altissia lol) since E3 2013. I'm not as disappointed about how it looks, but I wish the waterfalls were louder in the audio mixing. Those waterfalls weren't very loud in Platinum Demo.

Waterfalls are my biggest disappointment with Altissia so far too :-(

SoulUnison

Banned
This is cringe to you?

Sometimes I feel like "cringe" is just a blanket term people put on anything that even slightly disagreed with them.

"What's this medieval fantasy world bullshit? Why are people speaking in a setting-appropriate manner? CRINGE."

Falk

that puzzling face
I think anyone who's had to sit through the "begging for nethicite scraps from his master's table" monologue for the umpteenth time trying to RNG a good start in the 53rd different time you fight him in FFRK would be absolutely sick of it.

Sometimes I feel like "cringe" is just a blanket term people put on anything that even slightly disagreed with them.

"What's this medieval fantasy world bullshit? Why are people speaking in a setting-appropriate manner? CRINGE."

I think people are pretty precise with "cringe" actually. Most seem to use it when they feel uncomfortable because they feel something quite different than what they believe the author/actor/director intended them to feel.

For instance, when a character who is supposed to come off as sexy comes off as yucky. Or when the dialog is apparently written so as to sound like Elizabethan high drama, but sounds more like neckbeard repertory theatre.

Top Bottom