• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XVI | Prologue DEMO

Nautilus

Banned
Well I dont agree with six being soft storytelling like at all but I get what you mean with 7 to 10. But really compare the nes games to snes games to ps1 games to ffx and tell me they are basically the same? I wouldn't even call the atb battlesystem turn based to be honest.

Do you know that xvi is the first medival setting since ffix? That's the setting the franchise started with.
Not the same. They carry a DNA between all of them(Turn based -Yes, ATB is turn based - being fantasy setting and pretty alien, etc). Being different outside of that was a strenght, so long as it maintained the skeleton it was always known for.

And XVI is a "true" medieval setting as far as I can see. While IX was a highly stylized medieval setting.Hell, you even go to other planets and different dimensions, you have a giant mechanized castle.That's not conventional medieval.

Hugare

That Malboro fight, goddamn

The music, presentation, combat, banter between teammates ...

This boss was so hype

Oh, and dont fool yourselves: this is a 30 fps game

It seems locked in Quality mode, while in Performance mode it struggles while also looking very blurry.

Quality mode is that good kind of 30 fps: perfectly framepaced without skips. Controls like a dream. And has good motion blur.

Loving every bit of it

Last edited:

Fabieter

Not the same. They carry a DNA between all of them(Turn based -Yes, ATB is turn based - being fantasy setting and pretty alien, etc). Being different outside of that was a strenght, so long as it maintained the skeleton it was always known for.

And XVI is a "true" medieval setting as far as I can see. While IX was a highly stylized medieval setting.Hell, you even go to other planets and different dimensions, you have a giant mechanized castle.That's not conventional medieval.

You can summon big eikons don't think that's so truly medieval. There are and will be fantasy parts. Well I dont get it. It just seems to be nostalgia to me.

Aion002

Since Mass Effect Andromeda I stopped pre-ordering games... But after this demo:

Excited Lets Go GIF by NOW WE'RE TALKING TV SERIES

Toots

Gold Member
I don't get Nautilus Nautilus acting surprised about gay sex.
Gay sex is a staple of FF since at least FF7 and its three infamous gay sex instances (Honey Bee inn, Gold Saucer ride with Barrett, and of course the Cloud x Zack x Sephiroth love triangle which is in itself the most gay thing to ever come out of Japan, apart maybe from Gachi)

Yeah this went from wait for a sale to day 1 for me, demo convinced me. Feels better than it looks
I'm honestly surprised people looked at stuff like this and thought it didn't look good to begin with. Combat looks visceral and probably the most enjoyable in an action oriented FF game and the art design of the locations are incredible.
ffxvi-final-fantasy-xvi.gif
ffxvi-final-fantasy-xvi.gif
picture_ex_01.jpg

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Not impressed with performance mode, at least in the castle. Hopefully it's just an isolated area and not what the rest of the game will be like. Fluctuates a bit too much for my taste. So much so that it's actually giving me a bit of a headache

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
You can summon big eikons don't think that's so truly medieval. There are and will be fantasy parts. Well I dont get it. It just seems to be nostalgia to me.
I hope you are right.

And its not nostalgia. Its expectations. Not everything needs to be for everyone, the same way that not everything needs to stop being about what it once were. If people change what you like about something, especially when that same people can find the same(and better) stuff elsewhere, I will complain. Its just natural.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Just finished the Prologue demo. Holy fucking shit what a difference in the quality of writing and dialogue between this and the last two mainline entries. XVI so far feels like it was written by people who actually studied writing and literature.

Combat feels good, will try Eikonic Challenge later.

Can’t be overstated how this really does make the previous FF look like they were written by people with no clue.

Nautilus

Banned
I don't get Nautilus Nautilus acting surprised about gay sex.
Gay sex is a staple of FF since at least FF7 and its three infamous gay sex instances (Honey Bee inn, Gold Saucer ride with Barrett, and of course the Cloud x Zack x Sephiroth love triangle which is in itself the most gay thing to ever come out of Japan, apart maybe from Gachi)
???????????????????????

Since when is that love triangle even a thing, outside of some very horny fans? Plus, the honey bee inn stuff is used for comedic purposes and has (almost) zero sexual (gay) connotations, and the Barret stuff I don't remember, but I'm pretty sure its a camaradie thing, and not sexual.

Methos#1975

This boss was so hype

It seems locked in Quality mode, while in Performance mode it struggles while also looking very blurry.

Quality mode is that good kind of 30 fps: perfectly framepaced without skips. Controls like a dream. And has good motion blur.

Loving every bit of it
It's definitely not locked, I noticed quite a bit

Whitecrow

Banned
You can tell who didn't properly calibrate their OLED TVs. Goddamn.
I dont know why are you saying that.
But I did, and I dont find the graphics specially mind-blowing for a ps5 game at this day and age.

Looks very good at some times, and bad at others. And the combat is a particle shitfest, and sometimes in the fortress you cant even distinguish the enemies.

The same in the phoenix vs ifrit set piece. Clarity, and background visibility leaves a lot to be desired. Imho.

Waifus

Banned
PC version would have been so good at 4K. Performance mode is kinda rough and those low res clouds... Game is gonna be really good though.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I am going to give my 2 cent on the demo then not talk about the game anymore as it is obviously not for me.

pros:
Graphics - good
Soundtrack - excellent!
Art theme - excellent!

cons:
button mash - bad
QTEs - worse
INTERACTIVE MOVIE AT ITS WORST!! - HORRIBLE!!!

There is nothing here in terms of gameplay that is remotely worthy of a main FF title. precision doge is easy enough, just mash x and dodge until you win. CINEMATIC STRIKE! lol QTEs are lame. Cutscenes every other min. If I didn't start skipping them It would have been at least 2 full hours of cutscenes to 15 mins of gameplay. then there is the horrible summon fight. (triangle) to fire R1 to dodge. that's it.. it's light interactive QTE that goes on far too long.

Sorry I just cannot get behind this travesty but again I will no longer speak of it since there is nothing to be accomplished by constant moaning. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

begotten

Actually felt compelled to log in and say that this game feels like a genuine GOTY candidate.

Presentation is stellar and the story is very interesting. Combat is satisfying as hell and I was right, you need to play it not watch it.

Hopefully Performance Mode is better on launch.

Also good to see Nautilus is still wasting their life away posting rather than playing games or even going outside.

Nautilus

Banned
Actually felt compelled to log in and say that this game feels like a genuine GOTY candidate.

Presentation is stellar and the story is very interesting. Combat is satisfying as hell and I was right, you need to play it not watch it.

Hopefully Performance Mode is better on launch.

Also good to see Nautilus is still wasting their life away posting rather than playing games or even going outside.
The reason I'm not playing the demo is because I'm out and about(working)

But sure, keep telling yourself anything to make yourself feel good lol

PanzerCute

I am going to give my 2 cent on the demo then not talk about the game anymore as it is obviously not for me.

pros:
Graphics - good
Soundtrack - excellent!
Art theme - excellent!

cons:
button mash - bad
QTEs - worse
INTERACTIVE MOVIE AT ITS WORST!! - HORRIBLE!!!

There is nothing here in terms of gameplay that is remotely worthy of a main FF title. precision doge is easy enough, just mash x and dodge until you win. CINEMATIC STRIKE! lol QTEs are lame. Cutscenes every other min. If I didn't start skipping them It would have been at least 2 full hours of cutscenes to 15 mins of gameplay. then there is the horrible summon fight. X to fire R1 to dodge. that's it.. it's light interactive QTE that goes on far too long.

Sorry I just cannot get behind this travesty but again I will no longer speak of it since there is nothing to be accomplished by constant moaning. 🤷‍♂️
This is the first 2 hours of a JRPG, so of course there is a shit ton of cutscenes and the gameplay is barebone as it will evolve for dozens of hours.

What an empty post.

Croga

Finished the demo, really enjoyed it. Makes me even more pumped to get the full game and continue the story.

Didn't bother with the Eikonic Battle extra part, as I have been on media blackout for the game and would rather get those additional abilities and stuff to try out naturally as the game progresses.

Overall, very impressed.

But the gay sex! How dare they?

So ridiculous that this weird subsection of gamers are afraid of gay people in their games.
There is no gay sex, there isn't even any homosexuality hinted at in the demo. Not sure where that lie is coming from. I've beaten both parts twice.

We know Dion is gay in the full game but really who cares? You knew it was in two years ago.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

This boss was so hype

Loving every bit of it

The bolded is what I needed to read. I'm a HUGE 30fps guy, but thought 60 fps was going to be necessary on a game like this. So happy to see it runs great at 30fps.

Top Bottom