• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XVI | Prologue DEMO

GymWolf

Gold Member
That Malboro fight, goddamn

The music, presentation, combat, banter between teammates ...

This boss was so hype

Oh, and dont fool yourselves: this is a 30 fps game

It seems locked in Quality mode, while in Performance mode it struggles while also looking very blurry.

Quality mode is that good kind of 30 fps: perfectly framepaced without skips. Controls like a dream. And has good motion blur.

Loving every bit of it
One of the bosses is smoking addiction?

I dipped my toes with the combat during lunch. I got to beat the Malboro and my impressions are a lot different than what I expected. The game has glimpses of DMC's combat but it is slower and more methodical where button-mashing won't take you too far. I actually like their approach to combat, it's not totally free-form like comparable character action games but it's damn well refined.

Last edited:

MikeM

Game has RT, but not sure what kind yet.

- PS5 Quality Mode: 2160p/30fps (upscaled from 1440p)
- PS5 Performance Mode: 1440p/60fps (upscaled from 1080p)

RT on both modes? Wild. Too bad the 60fps isn’t a lock. VRR to save the day?

skit_data

Hooly shit, what a demo. It's impossible not to buy this game now. They knew exactly where to end off to make it literally impossible not to wanna pick the game up and continue day one of release. Well done, Square Enix, this demo convinced me this will indeed be one of the best gaming experiences this year.

That last part was fucking heavy. I presume Clive was the Ifrit unless I got it all confused? Shit was heartbreaking...

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
People saying this looks great i feel like im taking crazy pills. This looks like a ps4 game with shitty unstable performance
The game looks worth 30fps... let alone to think there is 60fps mode is a nice addition.
Vrr helps some.
You think people would be more upset if starfield offered poor 60fps mode? They did the right thing and just offer 30fps.... so there is less to complain about

SkylineRKR

Hooly shit, what a demo. It's impossible not to buy this game now. They knew exactly where to end off to make it literally impossible not to wanna pick the game up and continue day one of release. Well done, Square Enix, this demo convinced me this will indeed be one of the best gaming experiences this year.

That last part was fucking heavy. I presume Clive was the Ifrit unless I got it all confused? Shit was heartbreaking...

Dude, its so fucking great I regret having to go on holiday 22, but I can play it all morning and some afternoon I guess.

Yes he is Ifrit. And he doesn't like it nor does he have control. The mother I saw coming, she was a cold bitch from the get go

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I'm a HUGE 30fps guy.

what-huh.gif

SkylineRKR

It's really insane that FFXVI and Forspoken came out of the same company in the same year.

I actually enjoyed Forspoken for what it was, mainly the parkour and nuking of enemies. But yes, FFXVI is on a whole different level in terms of cutscene direction, VA, world building and everything... to me it makes sense Square isn't going to waste money and time on Luminous Studios and Forspoken if they can also pump out games like this, and I liked Forspoken.

Things I like:

Dark "Game of Thrones" like story.
The music was great.
The graphics were really good on my oled tv.
I enjoyed the early game toned down combat.

Things I didn't like:

Too many cinematic cut scenes.
cinematic fights.
cinematic evade.
cinematic attack.
cinematic doors.
cinematic walking in the intro.

Overall the demo was decent. The challenge mode kind of soured my expectations for the late game combat. I couldn't tell which enemies I was attacking(Lock on could use some work). I was able to get through the mob of enemies by just mashing all the buttons. The camera not being wide enough also made it very difficult to keep track of all the enemies. I couldn't tell who was targeting me during combat and that just made the combat feel very chaotic with no flow.

Well, That's my first impression of the game so far. My biggest complaint is the combat, but maybe in the final game the combat will grow on me. I'll purchase the game with my expectation in check now and I think this game can become a decent FF game.

Last edited:
Was kind of lukewarm through the demo regarding plot and setting, but I must admit the last scenes have me VERY intrigued to see where this goes and also simply understand how the hell the Eikons work. I guess the user loses control and there is always a ton of collateral damage? Are Japanese stories going back to everything being an allegory for nukes? (I hope) Gameplay felt fantastic, but I'm just glad that the story and setting finally hooked me because it didn't until then.

Also, I think some of the framerate stuff was intentional - during the Eikon fight there were some low FPS parts that looked too consistently low, like they locked at 20 fps. During fights I didn't really notice many drops at all (30 fps mode).

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
It's really insane that FFXVI and Forspoken came out of the same company in the same year.

Almost as if they were made by different developers with different approaches to game design.

The game runs fine on my console 🤔

PERFORMANCE mode is definitely not locked at 60FPS (dunno if it was trying to or said it would), but GRAPHICS mode was pretty flawless; if it was 30FPS it was a smooth 30FPS.

People saying this looks great i feel like im taking crazy pills. This looks like a ps4 game with shitty unstable performance

. . .stop it. The aliasing alone sets this apart from what was being delivered on the PS4; at BEST you can say this is FFXIV, punching well above the fidelity you'd think the engine was capable of, but certainly not something they would try on last generation consoles. The character models for the normies for sure vary wildly (Clive, Joshua and Benedict Eggs look terrible - the Lord Commander, Titan dominant and several others look decent), but everything else is clearly doing its best to deliver fidelity that isn't "ps4 game" quality.

Last edited:

jm89

Was gonna play the demo, but don't like waiting another week after playing the beginning bit, rather just play it without pauses when it launches.

Gonna clench my butcheeks and hold on for another week.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Also the whole “damage sponge enemies” complain was for nothing, other than bosses, most normal enemies went down pretty fast.

Mr.Phoenix

And you expect anyone to take what you are saying seriously?

From what I have noticed, the game in performance mode locks to 60fps only when you are in combat. like once there are enemies on screen, it just locks to 60fps. Once you kill the last enemy the framerate goes back to being all over the place. Strange.

Fbh

Had to go home during my lunch break for something unrelated and used the opportunity to check this out for a bit (played until right after you finish that tutorial fight)
Really liked what I played, IMO it looks great, the music is amazing and the story seems really interesting. Can't really speak much about the gameplay since I just got to the tutorial fight, but at least it felt smooth and responsive (though you can see the game take a notorious visual hit as soon as battle starts to keep those 60fps.

That QTE battle right at the beginning was a bit silly though
Also the framerate outside of combat is kinda shi, game looks nice but not nice enough to run this badly.

So I feel this demo has better world and character building than the entirety of FFXV, and hell, FFXIII combined. What about you guys?

Haven't finished the demo yet but one thing that instantly caught my attention is how much better the dialogue and voice acting is compared to 90% of JRPG's.
It's a bit over dramatic but in a way that fits, sort of like historical fiction. But it doesn't have all the usual quirks of anime dubs you get in most JRPG's, no annoying high pitched voices, ridiculous over acting, awkward pauses, cringe lines or those constant "reaction sounds".

For the first time since Japanese voices became and option in JRPG's I'm actually considering playing one in English.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

I had no intentions of purchasing the game as I've never been into FF but after playing the demo it's a day one for me. The story has pulled me in. Visuals can look very excellent at times but I really hope they improve stability of 30fps mode. 40fps would be perfect if they could manage but I won't hold my breath. Overall this was a great demo.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Performance mode on this is atrocious...Holy poop.

They need a day one patch for this or atleast pray that it's been much improved for launch.

It feels like wild fluctuations to like 40 fps or below in the opening area jist after the tutorials...I can't believe an exclusive is running this bad in performance mode. Makes me think this game is a 30fps game.

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
The demo is good! I'm pleased with the graphics and story. I started with Japanese with English subs but switched to English across the board when I realized their lips seem to be synced only to English.

Shtof

And you expect anyone to take what you are saying seriously?

From what I have noticed, the game in performance mode locks to 60fps only when you are in combat. like once there are enemies on screen, it just locks to 60fps. Once you kill the last enemy the framerate goes back to being all over the place. Strange.
Tbh makes sense, locked framerate is most important during combat.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Fuxk me...before retiring to your room justt run to the balcony that has the sun shining through from outside...shit feels like 15fps or something...what is this performance mode. Ps5 is on its knees.

Game looks incredible though...looking forward to playing some sections 😆

Last edited:

Aenima

Just finished the demo, and the only thing i dont like, is that it ended.

Combat feels sooo good, when you start pulling parries and timelly dodges that allows conterattacks, is super satisfying, all that concern about bullet sponge enemies are for nothing, as normal enemies die pretty quick and just bosses and mini bosses (they have a stagger yellow bar) take longer to kill, but these are the most fun battles as well as its here that you pull your flashy moves.
Game visuals looks good but i have seen better on PS5, still the visuals mixed with art direction is all very pleasent to the eye.
Played in performance mode (60fps) and only in the castle the framerate drops quite a bit. It seems that alot geometry plus alot of NPC have a impact in performance (so inside cities), but during combat always felt smooth. Other zones outside the castle, felt good even outside combat.
Story gets interesting pretty fast, i was already reading the world and factions lore, and the demo ends in a part where you just want to know what happens next.
This is also the best writting and voice acting i seen on a JRPG.

If the full game keeps delivering in story and combat as the initial hours of the game did, its gonna be one of the best Final Fantasy games ever.

Pre-Ordered the physical version.

Last edited:

Bojji

RT on both modes? Wild. Too bad the 60fps isn’t a lock. VRR to save the day?

Wtf is has RT? Didn't even noticed it.

Rt shadows are on for sure, you can see detailed shadows of characters and blurred shadows of distant objects.

Performance is bad in performance mode, goes out of VRR window constantly. Game needs option to disable RT entirely and lock to 60fps.

Graphics is medicore, as expected.

This game is probably amazing (and i will buy it at launch) but from technical side this demo is crappy in my opinion. They had one year of polish and performance is this bad...

Last edited:

Quantum253

Sweet mother of next gen, what is this beginning?

The OST, the graphics, holy shit.

Game looks so fucking clean on performance mode.

Its Beautiful Reaction GIF
I played a bit of the demo on a break. It looked okay, but now I'm wondering if the OLED calibration is off. I went through the HDR settings and it didn't seem to change much. Overall, it looks good but I wasn't liking the jitter and twitchy camera movements. However, going from Performance to Visual was like walking in mud

Aenima

It's taking a lot of willpower not to download this demo right now because I want to go in as blind as I can..

Breathe World Series GIF by MLB
Its the beginning of the game, so just see the demo as early access to the full game. You can transfer the demo save to the full game to keep playing from where the demo ended.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
I thought the demo was fucking excellent. Really can’t wait to get my hands on the whole game. Everything looked great too, supremely detailed characters, dense enviroments, huge fucking boss battles. It helps that the combat is very fun. The story is very good as well, im way invested and without spoiling anything, fuck THAT person, what a despicable character. Im also happy to see ff finally grow up? The characters speak and behave like adults, not anime teenagers. It’s really refreshing to see. I really think this could end up being the best one since 12. It definitely shits on 15 from a great height.

Top Bottom