• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Blade Runner 2049 impressions

Sounds fucking great. Absolutely cannot wait.

This is dumb. Star Wars isn't going for the same thing as Blade Runner, not even remotely. Nor do I even understand what the "live-action Lego movie" dig is supposed to tell me... Because The Lego Movie is a fucking masterpiece.

Because people are dumb.

Star Wars isn’t even science fiction – it’s space fantasy filled with mysticism and mythological heroes and villains.

Also, smart people can enjoy both without feeling the need to bash one for the sake of the other.

I hated the original Blade Runner it was boring.

66154010.jpg

jon_i634

Banned
The IMAX version is 2D.

The 3D version was created without the involvement or intent of the cinematographer Roger Deakins. Avoid!

Hell yeah hell yeah! I saw Dunkirk in 2D IMAX and it was pretty great, looking forward to this! I saw some movie in 3D IMAX a few years back and it wasn't great, so I've avoided it ever since.

Are there any scenes filmed on IMAX film? Wondering if I want to go to IMAX or Dolby for this

Shot on Alexa Mini digital camera, no film.

It's kind of annoying how IMAX is trying to make it look like the framing of the 'scope version will be substantially compromised; I'm certain that is not the case. It will be interesting to see the differing composition choices.

CD'S BAR

I am so shitting excited for this.
I was cautiously optimistic but holy cow wasn't expecting this. Granted they are first impressions but seems like this has a good chance to average 80s on rt and mc, dare I say 90+.

Stoked beyond belief. Watched the first trailer and I've been in the dark since then. Got tickets to watch this on premiere day, so needless to say I'll be there day one.

I don't know what that means. But looking at that GIF above, IMAX seems to be the way to watch it. Would a Dolby theater have that "standard' aspect ratio?

That's a marketing GIF, don't get too worked up about it.

I'm going to ATMOS for my first screening and then I'll probably check out the IMAX digital version for my second screening.

It is a damned shame that ATMOS and IMAX can never be combined.

I'm inclined to agree that I do not expect anything on this magnitude, however I don't think it's fair to say it's literally not possible. Great filmmaking is not a lost art, contrary to what certain nerds will tell you.

It's not lost per se, but something was lost. For example, the smoke, humidity and heat of the city street sets of the original were inhuman conditions, and that influenced the tone and performances of the film. Scott would have a fiasco on his hands if he pulled that today, he nearly did then. A lot of this argument is self evident, which makes this point annoying to myself as much as it is to those who want modern filmmaking to be just as meaningful.

Ashhong

That's a marketing GIF, don't get too worked up about it.

I'm going to ATMOS for my first screening and then I'll probably check out the IMAX digital version for my second screening.

It is a damned shame that ATMOS and IMAX can never be combined.

But the IMAX will have a bigger AR right? I'll probably try that first and then Atmos after

It's not lost per se, but something was lost. For example, the smoke, humidity and heat of the city street sets of the original were inhuman conditions, and that influenced the tone and performances of the film. Scott would have a fiasco on his hands if he pulled that today, he nearly did then. A lot of this argument is self evident, which makes this point annoying to myself as much as it is to those who want modern filmmaking to be just as meaningful.

Man, art doesn't become meaningful because of the circumstances of it's creation. It becomes meaningful because of the completed work, that's it. 'Lest we consider The Revenant the greatest film this decade (it's a bad movie).

There's any number of wonderful, meaningful, nuanced films coming out every year.

duckroll

I don't know what that means. But looking at that GIF above, IMAX seems to be the way to watch it. Would a Dolby theater have that "standard' aspect ratio?

You're falling for IMAX's marketing bs. The film is not shot in Imax nor is it designed for it. The aspect ratio might be a little different but more != better unless it was intentionally designed.

Top Bottom