• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Blade Runner 2049 impressions

snacknuts

we all knew her
I have actually never seen the original Blade Runner, so I just rented it on Google Play and will be watching it tonight. The trailers for this have made me very interested, so I am glad to hear that it's apparently great.

I am serious. I find it highly overrated. It's not a bad movie, but it's not that great. It's beautiful to look at but incredibly shallow (though it seems to think that it's much more interesting than it actually is).

4bUV7Ls.gif

This doesn't surprise me. The original Blade Runner isn't especially great or interesting (the visuals and soundtrack notwithstanding, which deserved to be put in a way better movie). I am starting to eagerly anticipate this one, however.
I thought this recent video was a short basic primer on what made Blade Runner unique and interesting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tbvMzqk3F4
Blade Runner was the first film to take the thematic elements of classic film noir and bring them into a sci-fi, dystopian future. This video analyzes those elements and examines why the private detective of classic film noir is the perfect fit for the world of Blade Runner.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
I'm just comparing it to Mad Max because it is a sequel to an old movie that never had wide audience appeal. Fury Road didn't exactly light the box office on fire so I don't see why Blade Runner can't do similar business.

I don't think it has enough appeal to reach Mad Max's numbers.

ezekial45

Banned
That Michael Green kid is having quite the year.

Alien Covenant was a bit of a dud, but I blame that mostly on Scott's ideas for what kind of story it should be. But yeah, he's done a hell of a job with most of his output this year. American Gods was amazing, and Logan was fantastic, so Blade Runner turning out well makes him a pretty solid guy to have on big films like this.

Ninjimbo

First impressions don't mean shit anymore especially from blowhards in the media. However, it's Denis and he has never made a bad film. I expect something that's at least competent.

I thought this recent video was a short basic primer on what made Blade Runner unique and interesting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tbvMzqk3F4

I saw that a while ago and it's a great analysis. Yes, the movie is structurally interesting, it's beautifully shot, it has an amazing soundtrack. That's basically undeniable - that and the fact that it's such a culturally relevant movie, paving the way for the whole cyberpunk aesthetic. What completely turns me off is the annoyingly uninteresting way it deals with very interesting ideas (e.g. what it means to be a human, the whole concept of Replicants...). I just kept thinking that everything could have been explored so much more, so much deeper. It's just frustrating because everything else was there, but it didn't engage me as much as, say, Tarkovsky's Solaris (which I had seen a few days prior to that). It's just incredibly frustrating.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Wow, I didn't expect the reactions to be this positive. I generally don't get excited for movies any more but I've got a good feeling about this. Definitely day one.

Dash_

First impressions don't mean shit anymore especially from blowhards in the media. However, it's Denis and he has never made a bad film. I expect something that's at least competent.

Peter Bradshaw's raving about it, so my hype is rising.

I saw that a while ago and it's a great analysis. Yes, the movie is structurally interesting, it's beautifully shot, it has an amazing soundtrack. That's basically undeniable - that and the fact that it's such a culturally relevant movie, paving the way for the whole cyberpunk aesthetic. What completely turns me off is the annoyingly uninteresting way it deals with very interesting ideas (e.g. what it means to be a human, the whole concept of Replicants...). I just kept thinking that everything could have been explored so much more, so much deeper. It's just frustrating because everything else was there, but it didn't engage me as much as, say, Tarkovsky's Solaris (which I had seen a few days prior to that). It's just incredibly frustrating.
...The video released 4 hours ago

Anyway, isn't that kind of like criticizing Traffic for not going into its themes with the same depth as The Wire? Blade Runner is exploring its themes through the lens of cyberpunk sci-fi noir, but it's still a sci-fi cyberpunk noir. Solaris is a philosophical rumination of its themes, solely focused on exploring those questions.

Sanke__

Fuck yes
Never doubted Villeneuve

Side note: if this and Dune are both good, does Villeneuve become the God of sci-fi for the rest of time?

Metalmarc

A good Cyberpunk Movie in 2017 cool, I am excited by that
(But there again I liked Ghost in the Shell)

Oh yeah Talking about isn't Ruiner out today too? And the Blade Runner Anime

What a Time to like Cyberpunk.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Blade Runner 2049 is the Anti-BronsonLee of Sci Fi movies.

Put that in the poster.

Addi

Oh, hype is rising!

Watched Blade Runner again last week, Director's cut on 35 mm. I definitely liked it more this time around, just flowing with the vibe a lot more.

Top Bottom