• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First ever DriveClub direct feed racing footage (GamesCom)

untitled-1rkszx.gif

Which video shows this car? (Alfa 4C)

I don't remember seeing it.

Prologue

I always wonder why F5 looked a bit better to me but after having those gifs side by side, its more of an art style choice. On top of that, the colors in Forza are really saturated, giving the picture more pop(unnecessary pop).

Will be interesting to see how they both run on day 1. Both are shaping up to look great.

AndyD

aka andydumi
One subtle but nice thing I noticed is that the HUD is also affected by the car's suspension, so it moves a touch around the corners of the screen. Much better than a fixed HUD like other games, it just adds that extra bit to the immersion somehow.

GodofWine

What we've been shown looks good, but nowhere near as good as this trailer which is a shame really.

I dunno, it looks the same to me, minus the choreographed camera work and editing together of cool parts. Graphically, it looks like the game footage.

We do still need a perfect quality direct feed video though.

ButchCat

I dunno, it looks the same to me, minus the choreographed camera work and editing together of cool parts. Graphically, it looks like the game footage.

We do still need a perfect quality direct feed video though.
I don't know, it might be the lack of DOF and motion blur but the textures look like they are up-ressed in the trailer.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Are we there yet. Are we there yet. Are we there yet. Lol.

completely offtopic: I LOVE how this little 5 second scene from one episode of The Smurfs, which had fucking hundreds of episodes overall, and was aired in a time and age where hundreds of other cartoons craved for attention, still is up in peoples' minds and is immediately recognized by anyone who ever watched that episode.

Hell I'm German and even I recognize it.

/nostalgia offtopic

edit: I really hope you were actually referring to that. I would feel so stupid if you didn't.

nib95

Banned
completely offtopic: I LOVE how this little 5 second scene from one episode of The Smurfs, which had fucking hundreds of episodes overall, and was aired in a time and age where hundreds of other cartoons craved for attention, still is up in peoples' minds and is immediately recognized by anyone who ever watched that episode.

/nostalgia offtopic

edit: I really hope you were actually referring to that. I would feel so stupid if you didn't.

Lol, a lot of cartoons and shows have used it. Smurfs, Mulan, Shrek etc etc. It's an almost culturally poignant inside joke about impatience lol.

On a side note, just watched the new time of day FB vid, looks awesome.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=169003049952072&set=vb.423631211054578&type=3&theater

Can't wait to see sunset driving and then night time too!

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Lol, a lot of cartoons and shows have used it. Smurfs, Mulan, Shrek etc etc. It's an almost culturally poignant inside joke about impatience lol.
Smurfs started it! End of discussion! lalala!

Theecliff

Banned
Some interesting things from the Facebook video comments:

Q: I love the racing games, another game of this new gen is possible to play against the AI of the friends (forza 5). I will buy the ps4, but that feature is amazing. have you thinking about adding something similar? thx
A: We haven't revealed anything like that....yet. But playing with your friends even when they're not there is a very big part of DRIVECLUB! ;)

Q: To be fair what's lacking for me is any sense of speed. Will this be addressed?
A: Yes, the visual effects will improve day by day all the way up to November :)

Q: Looks great! Just stick to the 30fps, add some AA and fix those pop-ins. :)
A: This is footage of the game at alpha. It will look better and smoother by November :)

Q: Despite it being in alpha stages, after the research I've done and footage etc I've seen their is nothing that strikes me as really unique or gives it an identity - I think it will likely be an overall solid experience but for the most part it's all been done before (racing/gameplay wise) and it's nothing I'm excited about but just something I'll play when I'm bored to pass time in brief intervals. But if it's free on PS+ then why not.
A: You've only seen a glimpse of what's going in DRIVECLUB so far - and only in time trial events too. There's much more to see, outside of the driving and the racing! The clubs and challenges and playing with friends is what makes DRIVECLUB truly special. :)

I can't find it, but this part of the Scotland track has a beautiful sunset as well.

Also, I'm just now noticing the guard rail got deformed real time. O_O

dce3201304rjzyo.gif

The car is going 100 mph and that is such an unrealistic crash for that speed. When are we gonna get realistic crash physics :[

velociraptor

PSY・S;78088269 said:
I posted this in the Killzone thread but people keep linking it here, which makes sense lol

5Cj7.gif

3El1.gif

Drive Club on top, Forza 5 below.
Forza IQ looks tremendous.

Cockpits look so smooth, as do shadows.

Shaneus

Ugh, the E3 demo was so shit. Evolution are crap, they'll never have the game looking any good in time. Game looks like arse. Can't believe they're only 35% done. LOL 30fps.

Suck it, haters and doubters.

The more I see of this game, the more I can basically conclude that this IS PGR, but with a different name and EA/NFS' Autolog. And it's not in cities. But other than that, even down to the aesthetics, it screams Bizarre/PGR.

And I have no problem with that whatsoever.

Forza IQ looks tremendous.

Cockpits look so smooth, as do shadows.
Probably the biggest thing that sicks out about it right now... that the shadows are hard and not blended or blurred or whatever. If they could do that as well, there honestly wouldn't be much to set it apart from real-life footage (other than anything that represents a player like a human or something).

I can't find it, but this part of the Scotland track has a beautiful sunset as well.

Also, I'm just now noticing the guard rail got deformed real time. O_O

dce3201304rjzyo.gif

If you look closely you can see the guard rail popout a lot for a split second before comes back in.

ypo

PSY・S;78088269 said:
I posted this in the Killzone thread but people keep linking it here, which makes sense lol

5Cj7.gif

3El1.gif

Drive Club on top, Forza 5 below.

I like how much the lighting changes in that 5 second gif alone. Forza looks like cartoon in comparison.

lighting is what makes or break next-gen games for me and I approve the lighting of Drive Club

I am tired of ''realistic'' games with unrealistic lighting that is always dark.

Thumbs up for Drive Club

Shaneus

Rushy posts on another forum, rllmuk and created his own DriveClub thread. From the rllmuk forum, I've lifted a few quotes from a journo called McSpeed who attends quite a number of racing game events.

*Specifically bolded for Shaneus and other PGR fans 8)
lTffeRM.jpg

I still want to know what role (if any) Talbot plays in this game. I understand Urtone does all the video editing (duh, it's obvious as hell) but despite my lack of Evolutions historical knowledge (I'm very much uneducated in that regard) I still think there's more behind the design and feel of the game than what Rushy and Rodgers have mentioned at the press events.

I'm so glad we're getting a PGR-like racer at the launch of a new console, though. I got my Dreamcast with MSR, Xbox with PGR, 360 with PGR3 and it was looking like I wouldn't be able to play something that let me fang the hell out of a car without wading through needless "sim-lite" crap. Yes, this is literally the only reason I'm buying a PS4 at launch. And yes, despite having PS+ I'll be buying a hard copy of this game.

I wanna be the playboy douche who races expensive cars like a dick against his playboy douche friends and doesn't really give two shits about upgrading or tuning... just tell me how awesome I was at taking that corner and I'll be happy.

adelante

http://i.minus.com/iWCi8O08d90ic.gif[//IMG][/QUOTE]

Heh it really shows off the metallic properties of the car body extremely well (usually in other racers, reflections on the back of cars are [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4MkMb3ehUY"]just lightened/softened, not diffused[/URL]...but then again, it does depend on the body material). My only gripe is that the shadows casts by trees in cockpit view seem a tad sharp; as opposed to the soft ones in Forza 5 ([URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08fIrWr9Zvg"]. Mixed with the harder shadows casts by the car and its interior elements[/URL] (which actually has slightly blurry edges and are not completely sharp) the whole effect does look a little more realistic imho.

astraycat

That was actually the only thing that bugged me to be honest. Realistic shadows should appear blurrier the further away they are from the caster, so the ultra-sharp shadows from the trees looked a bit off-putting. It's called the penumbra:

800px-Diagram_of_umbra%2C_penumbra_%26_antumbra.png

Example in Crysis 3:
penumbra.jpg

Other than that though, it looks really, really good. Loved the environments.

The sun is actually kind of weird as a light source. It may be huge, but it's so far away that the rays that reach the Earth may as well be parallel. This means that sunlight will actually cast rather crisp shadows with a very thin noticeable penumbra, if any. Other considerations, like the inverse-square falloff, can usually be disregarded as well due to the suns size and distance.

onQ123

/nostalgia offtopic

I think most people remember it from the Simpsons

http://youtu.be/U2qrbR-D3GQ

Ok... this thread has done it. I've tried to contain my hype for this game. Motorstorm: Pacific Rift is one of my favorite racers ever (and MS1 +Apoc were also fantastic). I love evolution. But it's a launch game and it was looking rough early on and it's a change in style and I was worried that.... NO. FUCK IT!

IM ALL IN.

Game looks amazing. If it isn't amazing I will be heartbroken. HEARTBROKEN. You got me, Evo. You got me with your goddamn reflection in the windshield!

So dumb to be so hyped for a launch game but I don't care. THIS GAME IS GOING TO BLOW MY SOCKS OUT OF MY ASS.

Top Bottom