• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First ever DriveClub direct feed racing footage (GamesCom)

Forza looks like a cartoon when put next to Drive club lol.

Forza 5 just looks so clean and sterile, not that it looks bad, some shots look amazing. Just that Drive Club looks more photo-realistic.

pipa.png

x72.png

80z2.png

mdqm.png

bn9q.png

Omg Driveclub you're reflections! So real! So reflecty!!!!

At least give Forza a fair shake. Both games look fanatastic, and one is rendering twice the frames than the other. (which is apparently not an issue anymore now that Driveclub has reflections or something) One has a realistic model, one as a hyper-stylized baked model. A lot of it comes down to personal taste but DC doesn't "blow it out of the water" and it's not "an entire generation ahead!"

reflection2gesvu.gif

That reflection is a lot easier to do than the dash reflection. Forza doesn't even look like the windscreen exists in-car.

Hoo-doo

Banned

At least give Forza a fair shake. Both games look fanatastic, and one is rendering twice the frames than the other. (which is apparently not an issue anymore now that Driveclub has reflections or something).

reflection2gesvu.gif

Baked lighting VS dynamic lighting is a big difference.

Forza looks good, Driveclub looks almost photorealistic.

Just hope that not all of DC tracks are nature based. Hope to see some City driving in some sort of form.
I bet we will. Personally I'd always rather see a beautiful countryside than city blocks though. I've gotten enough city based racing games over the years.

PG2G

Baked lighting VS dynamic lighting is a big difference.

Forza looks good, Driveclub looks almost photorealistic.

Photorealistic... and then you notice that the animation is terrible

The difference between 60 fps and 30fps in racers and fighting games is night and day.

KOHIPEET

One thing I find strange is that Forza doesn't look better than back at E3, while DC is like being an entirely different game?

Is it just me?

I know that it is possible that Forza is the same build

RoKKeR

Forza is more polished atm, DC isn't. DC will win in November

"Will win". What doest that mean. Sales? Review scores? Graphics?

]And I'm sorry to keep posting Forza stuff but in this video alone you see all of the windshield reflections that Driveclub has, dense/detailed environments, etc. etc. I just don't see why it's cool to shit on Forza 5now that Driveclub doesn't look like shit.[/URL]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJi8tAJ6noY

Kane1345

One thing I find strange is that Forza doesn't look better than back at E3, while DC is like being an entirely different game?

Is it just me?

I know that it is possible that Forza is the same build

All first party games look better since E3, hell even Knack looks better. KZ: SF is looking ridiculous right now.

GodofWine

The night scenes in the videos look so good...

They have what..probably 3 months of polishing to do before it releases, assuming this demo was sliced in July?

..Wake me up, when November (14th) ends...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Actually I think it is just really hard to design realistic looking lighting and shading. There is as much artistry to it as there is science. Polyphony's artists are obviously there.

I would like to pay the upgrade price from the PS+ version but I want a physical copy.

well then buy the physical copy and get 50% off a years sub to PS+ - still a good deal :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Photorealistic... and then you notice that the animation is terrible

The difference between 60 fps and 30fps in racers and fighting games is night and day.

which is ironic because DC will actually *have* night and day :p

MoneyHats

Banned
That reflection is a lot easier to do than the dash reflection. Forza doesn't even look like the windscreen exists in-car.

That's funny, clearly you haven't seen that Forza video because a few seconds later you see the dash reflections and shadows, and dare I say it looks even more impressive than Drive Club's because the shadows look smoother, the ones in DC you can see a little shimmering.

Man, this game... I was right when I started to get hyped right after the reveal. In Evo I trust :)

So happy I'll be able to get the PS+ version and then upgrade, too! Lots of people to play with on day 1 :D

KOHIPEET

]And I'm sorry to keep posting Forza stuff but in this video alone you see all of the windshield reflections that Driveclub has, dense/detailed environments, etc. etc. I just don't see why it's cool to shit on Forza 5now that Driveclub doesn't look like shit.[/URL]

Some of the vegetation in that video seems like it's not even lit at all. I agree that F5 has better framerate, slightly better IQ, but everything else just looks worse than DC.

(also I think, F5 has higher contrast, hence the better IQ. But that results in the so called "cartoonish" look).

In terms of winning. I don't like that term. Almost every game should win.

Amazing. The sense of speed, the lighting, everything. I can't wait for this game!

Actually I think it is just really hard to design realistic looking lighting and shading. There is as much artistry to it as there is science. Polyphony's artists are obviously there.

I would like to pay the upgrade price from the PS+ version but I want a physical copy.
This is my issue. I think I'm just going to go for it on disc, fuck it.

IN&OUT

Banned

It's not shitting when you simply state a fact. Forza environments just doesn't look as good as DC plus lightning is inferior. end of story.

just look at the footage or even the gifs then you can see the difference.

Rushy

I still want to know what role (if any) Talbot plays in this game. I understand Urtone does all the video editing (duh, it's obvious as hell) but despite my lack of Evolutions historical knowledge (I'm very much uneducated in that regard) I still think there's more behind the design and feel of the game than what Rushy and Rodgers have mentioned at the press events.
To clear up a few roles.

Eamon Urtone does work on the project as a video editor (and he's fantastic!), but Richard Weaver is the lead video editor on DRIVECLUB - https://vimeo.com/weavermonkey

Ged Talbot has been involved with the handling, but we have a very experienced team involved with developing it. With people from PGR, GRID 2, GT, MotorStorm, WRC, Wipeout, TT Superbiks, IndyCar Series and more working on it.

We're not a particularly large team at all, but we've got nothing but very talented individuals working on DRIVECLUB :)

Ran rp

I tried to find a better forza gif that didn't have the camera. Both titles looks great but drive club is doing so much more, the environments are just packed. Maybe if forza was 30fps.

I chose that Forza clip because both players were making a similar turn at a similar time of day with similar scenery and similar windshield reflection and dashboard shadows, haha. It'd be great if someone found that gameplay without the video in the corner.

MoneyHats

Banned

At least give Forza a fair shake. Both games look fanatastic, and one is rendering twice the frames than the other. (which is apparently not an issue anymore now that Driveclub has reflections or something) One has a realistic model, one as a hyper-stylized baked model. A lot of it comes down to personal taste but DC doesn't "blow it out of the water" and it's not "an entire generation ahead!"

reflection2gesvu.gif

Can you make a Gif of that same video a few seconds later? It shows some pretty impressive dash reflections that imo are even more impressive.

Hoo-doo

Banned
To clear up a few roles.

Eamon Urtone does work on the project as a video editor (and he's fantastic!), but Richard Weaver is the lead video editor on DRIVECLUB - https://vimeo.com/weavermonkey

Ged Talbot has been involved with the handling, but we have a very experienced team involved with developing it. With people from PGR, GRID 2, GT, MotorStorm, WRC, Wipeout, TT Superbiks, IndyCar Series and more working on it.

We're not a particularly large team at all, but we've got nothing but very talented individuals working on DRIVECLUB :)

And it shows, you guys did a tremendous job!

IN&OUT

Banned
To clear up a few roles.

You guys are doing a great job. game look phenomenal!

GHG

To clear up a few roles.

Keep up the good work, DC looks excellent, great improvement over E3. One criticism I would have is that the windshield looks too "clean" as such. It would be great if it (along with the car) progressively got more dirty (flies, and dust splatters, etc) throughout the duration of a race. Apart from that its looking very convincing so far.

Korezo

To clear up a few roles.

Please don't let grid 2 people touch gameplay..

That is still the most real gif ever

I just know GT5 does not look like that in gameplay

Erm... that's taken from a direct feed gameplay video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAFPPg0OCPI

GT5 does the overcast lighting setting like no other game.

Is this salt I'm tasting?

Technical achievements do not come down to personal taste. Hell even the gif you posted is proof of that. That is the "easy/cheap" approach to reflection that really only works with hood cam. DC is doing sooo much more then Forza that even at 30fps ends up being more impressive. Whether you prefer one game over the other, that comes down to personal taste, and there's no wrong choice.

Kane1345

To clear up a few roles.

Thanks for clearing that up Rushy, now can we have the night time racing footage please? :D

To clear up a few roles.

Awesome job! Please release an uncompressed video to download, youtube 1080p quality sucks.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Keep up the good work, DC looks excellent, great improvement over E3. One criticism I would have is that the windshield looks too "clean" as such. It would be great if it (along with the car) progressively got more dirty (flies, and dust splatters, etc) throughout the duration of a race. Apart from that its looking very convincing so far.

I like that idea. A small touch like that would go a long way.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Forza 5 just looks so clean and sterile, not that it looks bad, some shots look amazing. Just that Drive Club looks more photo-realistic.

I love the small details in DC that gives it a real look. I mean, they even made a part of the road that was repaired by filling in cracks with tar:

NGhvNZ9.jpg

Now that's a crazy attention to detail.

I love the small details in DC that gives it a real look. I mean, they even made a part of the road that was repaired by filling in cracks with tar:

NGhvNZ9.jpg

Now that's a crazy attention to detail.

Just noticed the red road on the radar. I wonder if this ends up being a huge area with multiple paths that change depending with each race (ala hot pursuit).

I don't even know which track it is... and i have the game.

DLC track, probably why you don't know it.

nib95

Banned
That's funny, clearly you haven't seen that Forza video because a few seconds later you see the dash reflections and shadows, and dare I say it looks even more impressive than Drive Club's because the shadows look smoother, the ones in DC you can see a little shimmering.

Really? Dash reflections seem much more realistic in DC.

PSY・S;78088269 said:
I posted this in the Killzone thread but people keep linking it here, which makes sense lol

5Cj7.gif

3El1.gif

Drive Club on top, Forza 5 below.

Anyway, OT.

Which will have a 24h cycle in GT6, and anyone that's seen the Ring in GT5 knows what that means when it comes to lighting. :p

Just noticed the red road on the radar. I wonder if this ends up being a huge area with multiple paths that change depending with each race (ala hot pursuit).

I've kinda expected it to be a bit like PGR where they've mapped out large areas for multiple tracks in each country. We know of UK, Canada and India so far.

AngryBird

Banned
DC look better, but to my understanding (and impressions I got) DC seems to be using less fake stuff/techniques, or more taxing techniques which result in more realistic visuals.

Seems to me like some people are not understanding or ignoring this and simply go for IQ.

F5 is very good at IQ mind you, but certain things look so fake that make it look last gen compared to DC. Like that completely un-aligned reflections on the hood , dear lord hope they fix that!

I saw this game running live at Gamescom with the GT6 booth nearby and GT didn't look much worse. Not hyped for the graphics, but I hope the gameplay will make up for it.

Top Bottom