• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fixing 97% of Vita's Wi-Fi problems - Solution inside

thenexus6

Well what I mean is I don't need it to load up my on my TV screen and everything. There should be another state the PS4 goes into between rest mode and complete on.

Afrikan

Well what I mean is I don't need it to load up my on my TV screen and everything. There should be another state the PS4 goes into between rest mode and complete on.

what do you want pn your TV? just turn it off or a different input than your PS4.

if what you really mean is not having your TV turn on when you are away from home, then you can't use that HDMI link setting that allows you to control both you TV and PS4 with TV remote. i forget what it's called. But it's the reason i don't use it.

edit-HDMI DEVICE LINK

MoxManiac

With that stupid wi-fi power save off I was able to get a stable direct remote play session two floors up from my PS4. Amazing.

Luigi87

Wow, this thread definitely helped me.
Switching my security from TKIP to AES finally allowed for 60fps.
... odd that security of all things was slowing me down.

hesido

I see some artefacting and some dropped frames at the beginning, overall seems OK?

Wow, this thread definitely helped me.
Switching my security from TKIP to AES finally allowed for 60fps.
... odd that security of all things was slowing me down.

Also this, this is very important. Vita doesn't handle TKIP well, like at all. This has been proven twice for me when I changed modems (that defaulted to TKIP each time).. Also this TKIP to AES information is very hard to come by. I don't remember if I saw it in a forum or found it myself..

edit: This seems to have been known since 2012 (the tkip issue).. Just get rit of it.
DieH@rd, if you're still reading this this can be added to the OT.

And this whole time I just thought my WiFi connection(s) were bad. This dramatically improved the signal strength, range, download speeds and Remote Play connection on both my Vita and PSTV.

Previously, I could play the PS4 (in our theater room) via the PSTV (in our bedroom), but it was sketchy at best, usually with a few connection issues, low res, noticeable input lag. That one god damn setting and it's like night and day. I just ran around DA:I for like 35 minutes without a single issue.

Ambitious

Even after disabling that option, performance is still pretty bad for me. Must be my network, though I've no idea what the issue could be. Usually, RP performance is almost bearable for a minute or so, then it lags and artifacts really badly for 5-10 seconds. Rinse and repeat.

crimilde

Banned
Goddamnit I've had a Vita for 2 years now and I never knew... Of course I had the setting turned on. Much better now. Thanks OP!

rjc571

Banned
I unchecked that setting but my Vita's download speed is still pretty slow at 10.8 Mb/s. Is this fast enough to get 60 fps streaming with PS Now?

BigDug13

Just played using direct connect. So smooth ...

I need to try this. It was horrible before the settings change. Maybe it's doable now. Used to be that running through my router was better performance than sitting in the same room as PS4 with direct connect. Made zero sense.

Thanks for the tip. Just tested it by downloading something and it was indeed much faster.

Sony should address this misleading label in a future update probably.

hesido

Judging by the responses, I can say that Sony is actually losing money because of this stupid setting not titled appropriately and not working properly when turned on. It makes the online experience worse, causes disconnects on PSN store, and I think it's fair to say that a few may be turned off from actually buying stuff.

Thanks for the tip. Just tested it by downloading something and it was indeed much faster.

Sony should address this misleading label in a future update probably.

Actually, they had a different labelled setting called “Disconnect Wi-Fi Connection Automatically”. Guess what you had to do to fix your connection problems, for dropping Wi-Fi. You had to turn that god damn setting "ON". I can't find it now in settings so that was removed somewhere along the way, my Vita UI is not English any more so I can't make sure.

Oh, a google search did fine:
  • [Use Wi-Fi in Power Save Mode] has been added to [Power Save Settings].
  • [Disconnect Wi-Fi Connection Automatically] has been removed.

They did this with 2.10 patch, in April 2013.

So they actually replaced "Disconnect Wi-Fi automatically" option that you had to turn ON to fix your dropped wi-fi connection, with "Use Wi-Fi in Power Save Mode" that you had to turn OFF to fix your dropped wi-fi connection. Talk about incomprehension.

Ogawa-san

Disabled it then played DoA5 for a while to test it out. For once it didn't have that annoying, persistent audio delay that pops up after a while and doesn't go away until I reconnect, so I guess it worked.

liquidtmd

Banned
Actually, they had a different labelled setting called “Disconnect Wi-Fi Connection Automatically”. Guess what you had to do to fix your connection problems, for dropping Wi-Fi. You had to turn that god damn setting "ON". I can't find it now in settings so that was removed somewhere along the way, my Vita UI is not English any more so I can't make sure...

So they actually replaced "Disconnect Wi-Fi automatically" option that you had to turn ON to fix your dropped wi-fi connection, with "Use Wi-Fi in Power Save Mode" that you had to turn OFF to fix your dropped wi-fi connection. Talk about incomprehension.

Sonys Technical Wording Team

hqdefault.jpg

Bishop89

holy shit.
Ive had this on since launch since I figured i couldn't download anything if it went to sleep mode.

Wow at the wording... jesus christ.. how many years have i had it like this, 3 or 4? LOL......

Everything is much faste now....shit...

Stike

...and suddenly, download speeds improved by factor 10 and remote play range has improved significantly!

Vita UI team just shot themselves in the foot...

Zyrox

Well....shit. And here I thought for the last 2 years that my Vita's WiFi was just terrible. Great. That is absolutely shittastic wording.
Thanks for the heads up OP.

androvsky

Judging by the responses, I can say that Sony is actually losing money because of this stupid setting not titled appropriately and not working properly when turned on. It makes the online experience worse, causes disconnects on PSN store, and I think it's fair to say that a few may be turned off from actually buying stuff.

Actually, they had a different labelled setting called “Disconnect Wi-Fi Connection Automatically”. Guess what you had to do to fix your connection problems, for dropping Wi-Fi. You had to turn that god damn setting "ON". I can't find it now in settings so that was removed somewhere along the way, my Vita UI is not English any more so I can't make sure.

Oh, a google search did fine:

They did this with 2.10 patch, in April 2013.

Had a Vita since it launched, no wonder I was confused. Holy crap Sony.

hesido

Thanks.

Took a while to find the setting in power save settings, might want to add that to the OP.

Just did... You're right, if one's having wi-fi problems, one would tend to peek at the wi-fi settings part.

Had a Vita since it launched, no wonder I was confused. Holy crap Sony.

Well, to give them credit, they removed the setting that 99% of people that would keep turned on to fix (in vain) their connectivity problems with a phrasing maybe 50% of people could understand the actual meaning and 25% of people who could guess the connection between the "low power wi-fi mode" and their connection problems.

How about putting a "turn this off if you are having connectivity problems" right inside that menu Sony.. Or even better, for people constantly dropping connections, suggest that automatically? The latter is asking too much though.

CLEEK

But beware, this will not solve all problems!

Check your airspace for 2.4Ghz WiFi signal congestion. People in building appartments can often catch 20+ WiFi signals, which can interfere with Vita. Vita settings have a feature of changing channels. Use that to pick best possible channel.

Install InSSIDer (freeware) and get a visual representation of all the wi-fi signals in your home. You can then pick the channel with least completion. Change the channel on your router, so all your wi-fi devices get the benefit. You can also move around your home and see how you own signal varies from room to room. Most homes will be wi-fi black spots, even though they're in range of the router.

SURGEdude

Went from 0-1 bar to a solid 3 after hours of fucking around with my network equipment and finally just putting up with the wiipad like range of direct connection.

It blows my mind that people at Sony had to have been reading endless complaints and accusations of cheap ass parts and shitty design for the last 3 years but they were so disinterested in Vita so as not to even issue a quick comment to the press, reword the setting, or just change the default to something that would benefit most users.

In most UI design where the factory presets are conceived the goal is to be in touch with some basic expectations a customer will have, and try to present the product in the best light to the widest number of people. This encourages good word of mouth and reduces returns by buyer who assume it's just broken or that Sony is run by lazy/greedy fucks who are totally out of touch with consumers.

"Thanks for buying our amazing new handheld. Be prepared for a new level of graphics and control which when connected to a PS4 offers great new ways to game"*

****This statement is contingent on if you can find the games in stores or instead are willing to pitch a tent near your router and camp there while the glacial download stutters and disconnects struggling to transfer the digital game you paid full retail directly to us. But remember before you get the privilege to pay us more money for saving us money you will first need to acquire a insultingly overpriced almost-microsd card we specifically created to take advantage of our very best customers as cynically and overtly as possible.

Oh and after you swallow all of that yet still decide that the platform is so good even our total callus dismissal of common feedback and refusal to see you as more than the totally strategically abandoned redheaded step-kids of PS4 owners we now court, there is still more.

We know customers exist who will still desire to spend piles of money filling up our their 32GB cards and left wanting more. To these most valued customers we must simply admit we just don't feel like sending a few boxes of 64GB cards able to last last for years while reaping huge profits. The reason is simply having a guy FedEx them so you can buy them on your continent instead of putting the hassle of and cost of importing on you would go against the way we have built our Vita business model.

In short dear Vita fans and human wallets we look forward to emptying and disguarding:

Fuck you, jump through this hoop, give us money, now go do our product distribution for us so you can give us more money, and yes you can still go fuck yourself. Thanks for choosing the PSVita!

Ok so I unticked the option and put it into high on the settings and what a difference. The picture has been perfect with no bluriness whatsoever and the gameplay feels so much smoother. I already loved remote play and this has just made it even better.

TheBoss1

Great news. I wonder if there's a setting to fix the PS4's shitty WiFi. I still cannot fathom how my PS3 gets 80+% signal compared to my PS4's ~50%.

TheBoss1

Went from 0-1 bar to a solid 3 after hours of fucking around with my network equipment and finally just putting up with the wiipad like range of direct connection.

It blows my mind that people at Sony had to have been reading endless complaints and accusations of cheap ass parts and shitty design for the last 3 years but they were so disinterested in Vita so as not to even issue a quick comment to the press, reword the setting, or just change the default to something that would benefit most users.

In most UI design where the factory presets are conceived the goal is to be in touch with some basic expectations a customer will have, and try to present the product in the best light to the widest number of people. This encourages good word of mouth and reduces returns by buyer who assume it's just broken or that Sony is run by lazy/greedy fucks who are totally out of touch with consumers.

"Thanks for buying our amazing new handheld. Be prepared for a new level of graphics and control which when connected to a PS4 offers great new ways to game"*

****This statement is contingent on if you can find the games in stores or instead are willing to pitch a tent near your router and camp there while the glacial download stutters and disconnects struggling to transfer the digital game you paid full retail directly to us. But remember before you get the privilege to pay us more money for saving us money you will first need to acquire a insultingly overpriced almost-microsd card we specifically created to take advantage of our very best customers as cynically and overtly as possible.

Oh and after you swallow all of that yet still decide that the platform is so good even our total callus dismissal of common feedback and refusal to see you as more than the totally strategically abandoned redheaded step-kids of PS4 owners we now court, there is still more.

We know customers exist who will still desire to spend piles of money filling up our their 32GB cards and left wanting more. To these most valued customers we must simply admit we just don't feel like sending a few boxes of 64GB cards able to last last for years while reaping huge profits. The reason is simply having a guy FedEx them so you can buy them on your continent instead of putting the hassle of and cost of importing on you would go against the way we have built our Vita business model.

In short dear Vita fans and human wallets we look forward to emptying and disguarding:

Fuck you, jump through this hoop, give us money, now go do our product distribution for us so you can give us more money, and yes you can still go fuck yourself. Thanks for choosing the PSVita!
Amazing stuff! So true 😂

Reallink

Another gotcha is that PS4 to Vita direct connection will also potentially broadcast the same channel your router's using (e.g. if your router is using channel 1, PS4 may also broadcast the remote play network on channel 1, rife for interference).

hesido

Ok guys. Gotta sleep. Keep this thread alive to save a few more Gaffers. I'll add additional suggestions to the original post without diluting the importance of the major fix.

I'm getting madder with each unsuspecting Vita user who had no idea they had to turn this off. It's astonishing how wide spread this issue can potentially be and the incalculable amount of damage that this has done to the Vita as a platform. Bad word of mouth, the handheld that can't connect to Wi-fi spots that's supposed to be pushing digital releases...

Obviously people with wi-fi problems would tend to click and respond to this thread so we can say very little about the percentage of people with actual problems, but given how fast we got to page 4 is quite telling.

Also from some response here, I'm pretty sure there are many more people with *just* good enough Wi-fi which could benefit from this, who'll never read this but won't be getting full benefit of remote play (less blocking), faster downloads (more inclined to make digital purchases), and overall smoother experience. The damage that Sony did to Vita is not calculable indeed. I'm not even being over-dramatic.

Top Bottom