• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fixing 97% of Vita's Wi-Fi problems - Solution inside

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
That has to be a localization overlook. No one thought that would be an apt description right?

LX_Theo

Banned
That has to be a localization overlook. No one thought that would be an apt description right?

Well.. Technically, the sleep mode is called standby mode in the settings... And that happens to be mentioned right above it. So... I think everyone gets a little bit of the blame here. Bad decision in their front. Reading comprehension fail on everyone else's side, lol

Thanks.

Just had my first decent remote play session over the Internet. My PS4 is 100km away and not wired in. Played Farcry 4 for an hour and other than a couple of stutters it could have been a native Vita game. Seriously impressed.

Can't wait to get home to check if remote play will be usable from my bedroom now.

Tizoc

Thanks.

Just had my first decent remote play session over the Internet. My PS4 is 100km away and not wired in. Played Farcry 4 for an hour and other than a couple of stutters it could have been a native Vita game. Seriously impressed.

Can't wait to get home to check if remote play will be usable from my bedroom now.

How the heck do you do that? Was your PS4 on when you left?

How the heck do you do that? Was your PS4 on when you left?

Just left in standby. Remote play switches it on for you over the Internet. The future, it's fantastic :)

Edit:When I say not wired in I mean not wired in to the router. Wireless connection.

baconcow

How did I miss this? A+. Seems it has been known for a while in that other topic, but completely poorly worded by Sony.

Rootbeer

Banned
I've had my vita since launch day... never knew this. Holy hell what a difference it makes. Everything in the store is loading so much faster. Can't wait to test this on some updates.

There were tons of people that didn't know that all PS3's are compatible with PS1 discs.

I had several game developer friends who, for years, didn't know about the "press triangle to bring up menu" on XMB, even though there's a prompt any time you move around.

For my part, i just read this option correctly and disabled it ages ago.

But I'm always wary of power save settings in general.

Skeptor

Wow, this helps explain my half baked remote play experience so far, despite being in the same room as my router :/ Props to OP and Vashetti

I've had a vita for a while and had to enable this like somebody said earlier because I was having WiFi problems... Now I have to disable it for Remote play. Eff yew Sony.

Ambient80

Fascinating. I'm not sure they could have worded that any worse. This absolutely fixed the issue I was having. Thanks for the thread!!

keeth

Neo Member
This is great. My Vita, which I've had since January, is now seeing more usage in the last eight hours than in those months. Thank you, OP and other folks!

Just looked into my settings and there it was, checked like a motherfucker.

Oddly enough I don't think I perceived a difference in download speeds but I might be wrong.

WarpathDC

Thank you OP I've been playing Injustice at 60fps without a single hiccup. I've been having random artifacting and latency for months. Between these tips and the update I am loving this.

Downloaded God Of War Ghost of Sparta on my ladies so so Internet in 15 minutes (about 1.1 gb). This setting has changed the game for me, I've never had anything download that fast on her Internet.

Make sure to change this setting on the PSTV too, as it was checked on both my PSTV AND VITA.

hesido

Well.. Technically, the sleep mode is called standby mode in the settings... And that happens to be mentioned right above it. So... I think everyone gets a little bit of the blame here. Bad decision in their front. Reading comprehension fail on everyone else's side, lol

Well, it's not a simple comprehension fail. The setting has to be meaningful in itself without you having to get a grip on the terminology on the rest of the menus, plus, whether it's above it or not does not change it as power save mode may indicate a broader setting that encompasses the stand-by mode (Stand by is a power save setting, and "keeping wi-fi on during power save") As I said, it's a bi-stable phrase. "Use Wi-Fi in Power Save mode" is bad wording no matter how we put it. But wording is not the only problem here. The feature sucks balls and it's hindering Wi-fi performance for a hell lot of people. So even a more descriptive title such as "Power-saving Wi-Fi" wouldn't help it, as necessary on-screen warnings that this could screw your days of Vita are not there.

And no wonder it has been translated to my own language from English wrong (it means exactly "keep wi-fi on during power save")

May16

There were tons of people that didn't know that all PS3's are compatible with PS1 discs.

I got called a liar when I said that my PS3 had never been online. Someone said "Ha! Yeah, you're lying. You couldn't play games because you wouldn't have the firmware."

I said that I just update the firmware with the games, as they all contain their minimum firmware updates right on the disc.

I was called a liar liar pants on fire by several people. They didn't just not know, they outright didn't even believe.

Muzicfreq

Banned
xMMDK7V.gif

That is the worst place/label for a setting like this! Thank god I learned of this before my trip in a couple months

creid

So many people here ignored FAQ in the official Remote Play thread that was made year and half ago when PS4 was launched, and was bumped on regular basis since then. There is a step by step instruction of what needs to be done to make sure RP has best performance possible, and Vita Power Savings trick was clearly mentioned.

edit - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=683245
Actually, it isn't clearly mentioned. From that thread:

2. Turn off wifi Power Settings in your Vita. By default its turned ON.
The option is called "use Wi-fi in Power Save Mode", and it's under "power save settings" not "Power Settings".

hesido

Well since this thread is wi-fi specific and not remote play specific , it attracted the attention in a different way and saved a few extra people. I wish we could spread this information more efficiently, this thread will die down in a day or two and a lot of people would still not be subjected to this information.

Sony's just got to deal with this.. In a next update, they should....
  • Disable the power save mode of wi-fi by default
  • Put that in change log so power users can keep track of what changed
  • Apologize for screwing the Vita experience of thousands of people
  • Have that setting properly titled
  • Duplicate the setting in wi-fi preferences
  • Add a warning: "this should be disabled if you are having connectivity problems".
  • Add another warning when turning it on: "ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT SHITTY WIFI PERFORMANCE JUST TO EXTEND BATTERY LIFE BY 35 MINUTES".
  • After a few drops or continously low connection quality (which Vita can easily track and poll the connection quality at regular interval) suggest the users to turn that off.

hesido

Does this affect the PSTV? It may fix a long standing problem I've had...

I guess it does..

Downloaded God Of War Ghost of Sparta on my ladies so so Internet in 15 minutes (about 1.1 gb). This setting has changed the game for me, I've never had anything download that fast on her Internet.

Make sure to change this setting on the PSTV too, as it was checked on both my PSTV AND VITA.

Vashetti

Banned

What?!

What kind of reasoning went into having the setting turned 'on' on the PSTV? It runs on a power cable, you don't need to worry about draining a bit of power for better Wi-Fi.

WTF, can't imagine how many RP experiences have been ruined by this default setting.

What?!

What kind of reasoning went into having the setting turned 'on' on the PSTV? It runs on a power cable, you don't need to worry about draining a bit of power for better Wi-Fi.

WTF, can't imagine how many RP experiences have been ruined by this default setting.

Sony been sabotaging the Vita from day one, at this point i think the console and it's demise is some kind of insurance scam Sony's trying to pass off.

shandy706

LOL

That doesn't even make sense. Mine is hardwired over LAN, but I tried Wifi first, so no problems.

Now I know why Wifi on my PSTV and my Vita sucked from our back bedroom. I had to sit in the same room as the router to do streaming games. Doh!

At least this helps out my Vita, I'm leaving the PSTV hardwired.

hesido

I've had my setting unchecked since forever and the wifi performance is still crap. OP LIES.

Try changing your routers wi-fi security to AES (WPA2) if possible. OP loves you.
What?!

It absolutely makes 0 sense. I think we should get used to Sony being Sony.

MattyG

Banned
Didn't work. I just want to remote play, that's all I ask :(

It's probably because my router is on the other side of the house from my PS4 and I don't have the house wired up for ethernet. Boooooo

mothball

If my router's WPA2 is using TKIP+AES, will the Vita use AES or should I just set it to AES only?

edit: looks like speed test speeds have improved with only AES, so it does have to be set manually.

hesido

So this stops the Wi-Fi from shitting the bed the moment I put the system on stand by?

Explanatory edit: This setting is related to general wi-fi problems that are not related to the standby state.
This stops Vita from shitting the bed, the sofa, and the round table by the music set, when always.

The setting has nothing to do with standby, it puts the wi-fi chip in a low power state that reduces signal strength so much that anybody not having problems with it is either extremely lucky, or actually wearing the wi-fi router as a prop.

Ogawa-san

I think he means that old issue where all downloads would pause when the screen went off, manually or after idling.

If that's the case the answer is no. I've tried that option on and off, no dice. It's been a while since I downloaded something or bothered trying to fix it, though.

DansDans

It doesnt fix the Vita TV remote play - mine is choppy as hell (VTV is direct connected to the modem using LAN as they are right next to each other, but the PS4 is wifi as its in a different room) - I havent tried remote play since the firmware updates, but before the update it was just way too choppy (PS4 and VTV are about 5 meters apart)

It doesnt fix the Vita TV remote play - mine is choppy as hell (VTV is direct connected to the modem using LAN as they are right next to each other, but the PS4 is wifi as its in a different room) - I havent tried remote play since the firmware updates, but before the update it was just way too choppy (PS4 and VTV are about 5 meters apart)

If they are 5 meters apart a direct connection should work pretty good. But you'll either have to wire up the ps4 or only play offline.

Top Bottom