• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For ARG enthusiasts/conspiracy believers - "BadSelfEater"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plum

I think it's more of a case that the IP has been associated with malware in the past. If you give it a thorough combing, finding a detail like that lends a bit more credibility towards being something serious.

If it installed Malware onto your computer wouldn't it have been found out by now? I'm pretty sure there's a cross-section of people who would believe/follow this kind of thing and people who know enough to properly detox/protect their PCs. Like the rumors of a virus, if this really was that malicious why would they be targeting such a niche demographic?

lol no

It will most likely be nothing, honestly.

That's what they all say!

reckless

I think it's more of a case that the IP has been associated with malware in the past. If you give it a thorough combing, finding a detail like that lends a bit more credibility towards being something "serious."

Just looking this up quickly, the IP address is owned by Digital Ocean which is just a cloud service, the badselfeater website itself uses WHOIS guard so can't really get info from it.

Someone found this in Louisville yesterday, at this location. It was posted on Instagram by a random but it appears to be real and not a copycat display.

aObniXz.jpg

Later, around the 18 hour mark on the countdown, the website changed to a deep grey/black colour palette. The same song plays but a different video follows it, this one, which is an exceprt of a speech JFK gave on April 27th 1961 about secret societies.

"The very word secrecy is repugnant in a free and open society and we are as a people inherently and historically opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths and secret proceedings. We decided long ago that the dangers of excessive and unwarranted concealment of pertinent facts far outweigh the dangers which are cited to justify it. Even today, there is little threat of opposing a secret society by imitating its arbitrary restrictions. Even today, there is little value in insuring the future of our nation if our traditions do not survive with it and there is great danger that an announced need for increased security will be seized upon by those anxious to expand its meaning to the very limits of official censorship and concealment - that I do not intend to allow to permit to the extent that it is in my control.

And no official of my administration, whether his rank is high or low, civilian or military, should interpret my words here tonight as an excuse to censor the news, to stifle dissent, to cover up our mistakes, or to withhold from the press and the public, the facts they deserve to know.

For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy that relies primarily on covert means for expanding its sphere of influence - on infiltration instead of invasion - on subversion instead of elections - on intimidation instead of free choice - on guerrillas by night instead of armies by day. It is a system which has conscripted vast human and material resources into the building of a tightly-knit, highly efficient machine that combines military, diplomatic, intelligence, economic, scientific and political operations. Its preparations are concealed not published. Its mistakes are buried, not headlined. Its dissenters are silenced, not praised. No expenditure is questioned, no rumour is printed, no secret is revealed."

(full speech).

Just over 11 hours left...

Lots of weird theories, new info popping up all the time but this is the only concrete stuff since last time.

Monocle

Cool imagery. It would be dumb as hell to take any of the conspiracy stuff seriously, but I appreciate the iconography.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Art school dropout? Has anyone mapped the locations these things pop up in yo see if this would require more than one person?

Allforce

Art school dropout? Has anyone mapped the locations these things pop up in yo see if this would require more than one person?

So far we have Galveston TX, Louisville KY, Chicago IL, and Yale University in CT (not sure where Yale is exactly, I know the northeast).

So I don't think it's just some kid with too much time.

Media

Yeah this is definitely a group of people. I could imagine it being an ARG team more for the spread of locations than anything.

Here's a good theory about what this might be.

"The Minerva Initiative is a Department of Defense (DoD)-sponsored, university-based social science research initiative launched by the Secretary of Defense in 2008 focusing on areas of strategic importance to U.S. national security policy.
The goal of the Minerva Initiative is to improve DoD's basic understanding of the social, cultural, behavioral, and political forces that shape regions of the world of strategic importance to the U.S."

Their annual conference is today and tomorrow: http://minerva.dtic.mil/mm16.html

One of the people speaking is Vladimir Barash from "Graphika, Inc". His topic is Tracking Critical - Mass Outbreaks in Social Contagions.

His linkedin page has this:

"I am a researcher at the intersection of the social and computer sciences. The focus of my research is the diffusion of social contagions (rumors, virally marketed products) through social networks, but my interests extend more broadly to social media analysis, social network analysis and agent-based modeling. I believe strongly in doing applied research - I think that social science has reached the point where it can help us predict social phenomena at a large-scale level and inform policy decisions accordingly."

And this is his start up website description: "Graphika identifies social communities and influencers within them, mapping spheres of influence on topics & content co.’s care about most.

And his Thesis:

"THE DYNAMICS OF SOCIAL CONTAGION Vladimir Barash, Ph.D. Cornell University 2011
Social contagion is a subset of contagion which includes all social phenomena that can and do spread via social networks. The notion of how something becomes popular is very relevant to the concept of social contagion. Rumors, fads, and opinions can spread through social networks like wildfire, “infecting” individuals until they become the norm. This thesis investigates the dynamics of social contagion, employing a combination of formal analysis, simulation, and empirical data mining approaches to examine the processes whereby social contagion spreads throughout social networks."

Just another crazy theory while we await the countdown.

Media

Here's a good theory about what this might be.

"The Minerva Initiative is a Department of Defense (DoD)-sponsored, university-based social science research initiative launched by the Secretary of Defense in 2008 focusing on areas of strategic importance to U.S. national security policy.
The goal of the Minerva Initiative is to improve DoD's basic understanding of the social, cultural, behavioral, and political forces that shape regions of the world of strategic importance to the U.S."

Their annual conference is today and tomorrow: http://minerva.dtic.mil/mm16.html

One of the people speaking is Vladimir Barash, Graphika, Inc, his topic is Tracking Critical - Mass Outbreaks in Social Contagions.

His linkedin page has this:

"I am a researcher at the intersection of the social and computer sciences. The focus of my research is the diffusion of social contagions (rumors, virally marketed products) through social networks, but my interests extend more broadly to social media analysis, social network analysis and agent-based modeling. I believe strongly in doing applied research - I think that social science has reached the point where it can help us predict social phenomena at a large-scale level and inform policy decisions accordingly."

And this is his start up website description: "Graphika identifies social communities and influencers within them, mapping spheres of influence on topics & content co.’s care about most.

And his Thesis:

"THE DYNAMICS OF SOCIAL CONTAGION Vladimir Barash, Ph.D. Cornell University 2011
Social contagion is a subset of contagion which includes all social phenomena that can and do spread via social networks. The notion of how something becomes popular is very relevant to the concept of social contagion. Rumors, fads, and opinions can spread through social networks like wildfire, “infecting” individuals until they become the norm. This thesis investigates the dynamics of social contagion, employing a combination of formal analysis, simulation, and empirical data mining approaches to examine the processes whereby social contagion spreads throughout social networks."

Just another crazy theory while we await the countdown.

I can at least confirm the government has used ARGS for training/recruiting purposes. I used to work for someone who did it.

Interestingredients theory, but I think that the super political anti-government rhetoric is a bit much for a DOD arg.

Capra

The more I think about it, the weirder the whole incident with the dummy and the t-shirt seems. Apparently it was enough to set off one of the FB account's admins, but once they calmed down or once the others saw it all mentions of the incident or the dummy were removed. So evidently that bit wasn't part of the narrative being spun in the lead-up here. It was a pretty juvenile moment for Mr. Teeth (equating stealing a dummy's t-shirt to stealing clothes off an actual person) but at the very least, showed that there is passion here for the message being conveyed. It also seems to be the one misstep in this whole thing. I would think that something like the Minerva Initiative, a narrative created as a social experiment, either wouldn't have any real passion behind the message we're seeing here or would be too tightly-controlled to let something like that happen.

My money's on a collaborative art student project. Guess we'll know in sub 6 hours.

I'm going to go for Phase 2.
I'm thinking this too, most likely. "Mr. Teeth".." Mr. Robot". Also, they've been putting plenty of easter eggs websites this season, and there was a similar "countdown" earlier in the season. I don't think it's AHS, the tone doesn't fit, plus the released art and footage for AHS suggest aliens amd sci-fi.

Boem

I actually think this kind of stuff is always harmless fun, but there are way too many people (not here on Gaf) taking this way too seriously - actually getting scared/making sure they get supplies/take a gun when they go out tomorrow. I've been reading up here and there and some people are just..jeez. People can be so gullible, and that's the only scary part for me.

Whatever this turns out to be - tv show/game/art project - people will be disappointed as they always are, but I don't really know what they expect. If it's anything less than Obama introducing aliens it won't be enough. People like Snowden don't generally lead up to their revelations with a thought-out ad campaign like this. That only happens in movies.

But hey I'm liking this. Not expecting anything though.

New countdown clock for 7PM tonight. :/

I'm in a different time zone but it still says 2 hours and 40 minutes for me. I don't think anything's changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom