• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 ┇ 2024 ┇ Plan N for Next Season™

xrnzaaas

Yeah Red Bull suddenly started looking more vulnerable, especially with how it handles the tires. Max way okayish on the medium compound, but clearly struggled on the hards. Checo was a sitting duck during first stint and didn't even try to fight back.

Wouldn't mind if McLaren joined the fight for the wins, even though I'm not a fan of Lando and I'd be happier to see Oscar taking the fight. ;)

Last edited:
There should be no way an F1 driver could have the capacity over a race weekend to also drive in an online 24hr race. F1 is clearly too damned easy these days.
I’m not the biggest Max fan, but the way I see this is that he’s just that good, he’s almost inhuman.

Also factor in that he’s so young, in the prime of life. I remember in college I would stay up all night, go take an exam (and ace it) then go do a workout for an hour, and finally go to my part time job. Felt fine.

It’s a combination of youth and determination imo. He’s raising the bar on what humans can accomplish, and that, to me, is rather amazing.

That said, I really hope this Ferrari dream team comes together in 2025 and they get Lewis his 8th title in 2026.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I’m not the biggest Max fan, but the way I see this is that he’s just that good, he’s almost inhuman.

Also factor in that he’s so young, in the prime of life. I remember in college I would stay up all night, go take an exam (and ace it) then go do a workout for an hour, and finally go to my part time job. Felt fine.

It’s a combination of youth and determination imo. He’s raising the bar on what humans can accomplish, and that, to me, is rather amazing.

That said, I really hope this Ferrari dream team comes together in 2025 and they get Lewis his 8th title in 2026.

It's also that the cars are now so refined to the point of absurdity that they do not require the strength, skill or endurance to drive, the same way the cars of over a decade and more required. This is not to say that they are 'easier to drive' per se (5G is still 5G), but they are certainly far more capable of handling tough conditions, abrasive track surfaces, high chicanes, and mechanical/electronic issues. Racecraft is now far more about managing systems that control and smooth out these elements than it is about on-track positioning, or the ability to drive around a problem.

Max is no better than any of the other greats of the sport. But he does have the advantage of the most advanced F1 car of all time.

Last edited:
It's also that the cars are now so refined to the point of absurdity that they do not require the strength, skill or endurance to drive, the same way the cars of over a decade and more required. This is not to say that they are 'easier to drive' per se (5G is still 5G), but they are certainly far more capable of handling tough conditions, abrasive track surfaces, high chicanes, and mechanical/electronic issues. Racecraft is now far more about managing systems that control and smooth out these elements than it is about on-track positioning, or the ability to drive around a problem.

Max is no better than any of the other greats of the sport. But he does have the advantage of the most advanced F1 car of all time.
This shit ain't checkers. There's levels to this.

Raven117

This.

But man...go watch some older F1 races from the 80s and 90s...LOL. That is some bonkers racing.

Paasei

MCL38_Render%20

This McLaren looks so damn good. I know it’s for Senna and Brazil, but man, got some flavours of my hometown The Hague as well.

I know we are only half way through but jesus this is the most BORING Monaco race yet. The top 5 are all being told to slow down, keep others at bay from the chance of doing a pitstop. As martin said...is this car racing or what? Yeah its a chess game with management but literally hearing radio teams telling their driver that they can even slow down more, no need to race hard.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
They gotta do something about Monaco specifically. Holy shit. Leclerc winning his home race for the first time is the most boring race ever.
If there was no red flag in the first lap we would at least get a few pit stop and strategies. Here they were just all driving slowly to not kill the tires till the end.

The first 10 finished in the same order they started/qualified, boring.

Paasei

If there was no red flag in the first lap we would at least get a few pit stop and strategies. Here they were just all driving slowly to not kill the tires till the end.

The first 10 finished in the same order they started/qualified, boring.
Where you start is where you end. That's Monaco. Even with pit stops it's very rare that it isn't the case. It really needs specific ruleset or maybe even drive in less wide cars so you can properly duel for spots or whatever.

It's such a shame as well, really. I truly am happy for Leclerc finally winning his home race, but it was hard to get excited for him after seeing the race. What I tend to like about F1 is that so many drivers are likeable, and especially in these moments you get happy for them. But just not this time.

Last edited:
Happy Leclerc won!

Monaco is always boring, nothing new. I’ve said it before but the track needs to be updated or removed. Cars are too big now, making an already difficult to pass on track, even harder.

xrnzaaas

The rule about changing tyres during the red flag period should've been modified. At least with 1 mandatory pitstop something could still happen after lap 1.

I'm happy for Chales though, he broke the "curse" and finally won at home.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
It's such a shame as well, really. I truly am happy for Leclerc finally winning his home race, but it was hard to get excited for him after seeing the race. What I tend to like about F1 is that so many drivers are likeable, and especially in these moments you get happy for them. But just not this time.

I preferred it when the drivers were hard bastards, who couldn't stand each other... and the racing was good.

Raven117

I preferred it when the drivers were hard bastards, who couldn't stand each other... and the racing was good.
Those days were awesome, but just the nature of the sport has changed.

It’s way less “a bunch of psychos racing rockets” with minimal safety concerns.

Top Bottom