• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Formula 1 2017 Season |OT| Japanese Horror Story - Sundays on Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBT85

Are they really gonna 'dump' Bottas like that? Thanks for 2 years of filling in the gap of Verstappens contract, goodbye.
Does anyone think he's on the same trajectory as Max and Danny? He's been given an opportunity to prove that he can be and he's got about 27 races to prove it.

Razgreez

For some, entirely subjective reason, I feel Daniel would be a better fit for Mercedes. As long as Mercedes is strong Hamilton is not going anywhere and the combination of Dan and Lewis against the evil red empire and Max (perhaps with Bottas as his backup - not forgetting the Le Clerc factor)... I'm salivating at the prospect (as long as Mercedes wins :D).

I'd love RIC at Ferrari. He's easily my favorite driver on the grid and I don't necessarily care about them. That said, I'm still not sure if he's truly #1 material or if he's going down Webber's path.

Singapore extended their contract until 2021

I like the idea of the race, but the lack of overtaking opportunities suck. 5 of the last 7 races were won from pole or something.

DBT85

I'd love RIC at Ferrari. He's easily my favorite driver on the grid and I don't necessarily care about them. That said, I'm still not sure if he's truly #1 material or if he's going down Webber's path.
I'd put both Max and Danny above webbah/button etc, probably even Rosberg. All fast but didn't have the cutting edge for me even if 2 are wdc. Danny takes souls regularly enough already.

Lach

First time watching Singapore FP. It's weird seeing it in daylight.

[edit] whoever is in charge of the on screen graphics really likes that graph with all of Max's DNFs this season.

Is it safe to assume that if Ferrari don't show a marked comeback against Mercs performances at the higher power circuits, that the WDC is basically over?

What if we reach Q3 and Merc are 1-2?

DBT85

Is it safe to assume that if Ferrari don't show a marked comeback against Mercs performances at the higher power circuits, that the WDC is basically over?

Less high power more slow corner tracks like this. If Merc get pole with some comfort then the title will be difficult with the coming races.

This I think mercs aero upgrade isn't coming till the next race.

Razgreez

If Mercedes are able to make the US tyre work consistently then it will be really hard for Ferrari to come back. It's been their (Mercedes's) achilles all season. I hope they can even though it will potentially mean a less exciting season end. As much as I love the excitement of a tight championship the in-race battles haven't reflected the same level of competitiveness on most occasions. Performance has either swung one way or the other

Announcement about to happen

15054682696085.jpg

15054682839497.jpg

Sauber is going to be thrilled that they won't come in last in the championship next year!

Edit: Alonso should actually be somewhat interested in driving the rest of this year now-- Can work on the chassis while safely at the back of the field.

Zeknurn

Horner just told Sky F1 that there will be another power unit announcement in a few hours soon unrelated to Porsche, Honda and Renault, and when pressed further he said that Red Bull already has a great partnership with a manufacturer and it's not hard to it figure out.

Ark

Presumably it's Aston Martin. Though why you'd choose them over the powerhouse of Porsche is beyond me.

Prepared to eat crow.

DBT85

Horner just told Sky F1 that there will be another power unit announcement in a few hours unrelated to Porsche, Honda and Renault and when pressed further he said that Red Bull has a great partnership with a manufacturer already and it's not hard to it figure out.
Thought he said soon rather than a few hours?

Hope he doesn't mean Renault as great relationship hardly cuts it these days lol

Not sure why any new engine manufacturers would come in at this stage with new regs due in 20 or 21.

BigAl1992

Horner just told Sky F1 that there will be another power unit announcement in a few hours unrelated to Porsche, Honda and Renault and when pressed further he said that Red Bull has a great partnership with a manufacturer already and it's not hard to it figure out.

Aston Martin, maybe? We'll see in a few minutes.

Zeknurn

Thought he said soon rather than a few hours?

Hope he doesn't mean Renault as great relationship hardly cuts it these days lol

Not sure why any new engine manufacturers would come in at this stage with new regs due in 20 or 21.

You're right, he said soon.

And yeah it's Aston Martin.

Par Score

Hopefully we get a Red Bull 1-2 this weekend to dent Vettel's advantage.

Vettel 3rd and Hamilton 4th leaves them tied on 250 a piece, which is cute.

DBT85

McLaren end Honda deal

McLaren Technology Group and Honda Motor Co. Ltd announce they will discontinue their partnership for the FIA Formula One World Championship (F1) at the end of 2017 by mutual consent.

The McLaren Honda Formula 1 team will continue to compete for the remainder of the 2017 FIA Formula One Constructors’ and Drivers’ World Championships.

Both Honda and McLaren will confirm their future plans in the sport in the near future.

Shaikh Mohammed bin Essa Al Khalifa, McLaren Group Executive Chairman and Executive Committee principal, commented:

“Honda is a great company which, like McLaren, is in Formula 1 to win. Although our partnership has not produced the desired success, that does not diminish the great history our two companies have enjoyed together, nor our continued efforts to achieve success in Formula 1. At this point in time, it is in the best interests of both companies that we pursue our racing ambitions separately.”

Takahiro Hachigo, President & Representative Director of Honda Motor Co. Ltd, commented:

“It is unfortunate that we must part ways with McLaren before fulfilling our ambitions, however, we made the decision with a belief that this is the best course of action for each other's future. On behalf of Honda, I would like to express my sincere gratitude to fans who have been very supportive of the team as well as the drivers, team members and everyone involved who shared with us in the joys and disappointments since we began preparing for our return to F1 in 2015. Honda will continue the fight together with McLaren all the way to the end of the 2017 season, and then continue its F1 racing activities in 2018 and beyond.”

Zak Brown, Executive Director, McLaren Technology Group, said:

“There has never been any doubt over Honda’s commitment and energy to the mission of success in Formula 1. They are proven winners and innovators. For a combination of reasons our partnership has not flourished as any of us would have wished. It is certainly not for the want of effort on the part of either Honda or McLaren, but the time has come to move ahead in different directions. As fellow racers, we hope to see the great name of Honda get back to the top – our sport is better for their involvement. I know this view is shared by everyone in the sport.”

McLaren sign Renault
McLAREN RACING AND RENAULT SPORT RACING CONFIRM PARTNERSHIP

Engine supply partnership agreed for the 2018, 2019 and 2020 F1 seasons
10:35
Renault Sport Racing and McLaren Racing are pleased to announce they have agreed an engine sup-ply partnership for the 2018, 2019 and 2020 seasons. The deal will see Renault Sport Racing supply McLaren with Formula 1 power units, while also establishing a close working relationship with McLar-en’s engineers and technicians.

Despite a combined Formula 1 presence that stretches back to 1977 (McLaren Racing has contested 814 GPs; Renault 591 in its role as an engine manufacturer), this will mark the first time that the two brands have ever collaborated.

For McLaren Racing, the reason for the partnership is evident: Renault has demonstrated its ability to build championship-winning engines, for its own team as well as customer teams.

For Renault Sport Racing, it provides the manufacturer with a second top-level Formula 1 team able to provide it with top-class feedback in relation to the development of its engine.

McLaren Renault is a partnership that will challenge for victory.

Shaikh Mohammed bin Essa Al Khalifa, Executive Chairman and Executive Committee principal, McLaren Group:

“Renault is a manufacturer that, like McLaren, has Formula 1 deeply woven into its DNA. It introduced the concept of turbo-charging to modern F1 back in 1977, has won grands prix with and without turbo power, and has been a consistent pioneer and developer of new technologies in Formula 1.

“And while a Renault-powered McLaren is a new and exciting concept in Formula 1, what’s most im-portant is that this partnership gives us the equal opportunity to compete alongside the other Renault-powered teams.

“At McLaren, we have the motivation, the desire and the resource to be a competitive force in 2018; now Renault power gives us the ability to take a significant step further up the grid.

“Today’s announcement starts a fresh chapter in the McLaren story – and we can’t wait to get started.”

Zak Brown, McLaren Technology Group Executive Director:

“Today’s announcement gives us the stability we need to move ahead with our chassis and technical programme for 2018 without any further hesitation.

“As an organisation, McLaren has always worked extremely hard to form lasting partnerships with its technical suppliers. We’re convinced that we can bring real value to Renault Sport Racing as we work alongside it to develop this current power unit into a regular race winner.”

Jérôme Stoll, President of Renault Sport Racing:

“This is a strategic decision for Renault Sport Racing. It is the first time that Renault will work with McLar-en and we are proud to have reached an agreement with an organisation that has such a rich Formula 1 history. This alliance is not only technical and sporting, but also comes with marketing and communica-tion benefits. We know that McLaren will push us hard on track and this competition will be to the benefit of all.”

Cyril Abiteboul, Managing Director, Renault Sport Racing:

“We are pleased to confirm a new partnership for Renault Sport Racing and McLaren Racing and excited to embark on this new relationship of these two historic brands in Formula 1 cooperating together for the first time. This agreement is perfectly in line with our mid-term strategy and with our objective to be in a winning position as a team in 2020. We are looking forward to seeing the Renault brand on next year’s McLaren and racing our new partners on track. McLaren is an inspirational team with two talented drivers which should not only support our engine development efforts but also act as a reference and an exam-ple in the ongoing construction of our chassis operations. This is an exciting new beginning with a championship-winning team that is hungry to return to glory.”

Toro Rosso announce Honda
Toro Rosso and Honda together from 2018
SCUDERIA TORO ROSSO TO JOIN FORCES WITH HONDA
September 15, 2017

Scuderia Toro Rosso is pleased to announce that it has reached a multi-year agreement with Honda Motor Co. Ltd. to run Honda power units starting from the 2018 Formula 1 season.

Franz Tost (Team Principal):

"Everyone in our team is very much looking forward to working with Honda. Ever since its founder Soichiro Honda entered his motorcycles in events, racing has always been a central part of the company's ethos. It's a very exciting challenge and I hope that both parties will gain a great deal from it as we develop together. Honda has a long history in Formula 1, dating back to 1964 when it first entered the sport with its own team and, as an engine supplier it has taken five Drivers' World Championship titles and six Constructors. This heritage, together with the full confidence that we have in Honda's capabilities to succeed, make me strongly believe that we will achieve a fruitful future together.'

James Key (Technical Director):

"We are very pleased with our new partnership with Honda and the opportunities this presents, and we start to work immediately. It will be a question of adaption of our plans rather than a wholesale change and we are in the process of re-planning our design and production activities in conjunction with Honda to ensure that we both hit all our important deadlines. There are some challenges to face given the time of year but Toro Rosso has faced many difficult tasks with timing in the past and has the flexibility to deal with it. We will be working hard not to only re-design the PU installation but also ensure that this has minimal or no effect on the ongoing development work for 2018 – that is our current target. The architecture of the car will change in line with the PU requirements and our chassis and gearbox designs are currently under review to be adapted accordingly, similarly we will be working closely with Honda on the performance aspects of the PU installation that the chassis will influence to ensure we maximise the potential of the package as a whole from the outset. We look forward to a strong, stable and proactive partnership with our colleagues at Honda."

Takahiro Hachigo (President & Representative Director of Honda Motor Co., Ltd.):

"Toro Rosso is an experienced team with a youthful energy and history of nurturing the stars of the future. Everyone at Honda is looking forward to working with Toro Rosso, and we are excited to start this new chapter in our Formula 1 journey with them. I would like to express our appreciation to Liberty Media and the FIA for their cooperation toward the realization of this partnership. Honda and Toro Rosso will work as one team to strive for progress and a successful future together. We appreciate the support of our fans as we begin this challenge."

BigAl1992

And Finally:

Renault Sport F1‏Verified account @RenaultSportF1 25s25 seconds ago
More
Carlos Sainz joins @RenaultSportF1 for 2018

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Loaned to Renault for just 2018.

So I guess Palmer keeps his 2017 seat for now.

Sainz to RBR in 2019 I guess.

chadskin

Horner just told Sky F1 that there will be another power unit announcement in a few hours soon unrelated to Porsche, Honda and Renault, and when pressed further he said that Red Bull already has a great partnership with a manufacturer and it's not hard to it figure out.

If that's really Aston Martin, I doubt it's anything else than a rebranded Honda, Mercedes or Ferrari PU akin to the TAG Heuer deal.

xrnzaaas

The only surprising thing is that they didn't fire Palmer straight away. Or I dunno, maybe it was just wishful thinking by people disappointed in his performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom