• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 at gamescom - Spa confirmed

guessing time: making of vidoc on ALMS + fm5, announcement of several ALMS tracks, track laser scanning, up to date ALMS cars, real driver input, 3 class races, hints at more cars on track from footage, etc etc.

that would classify as big to me ;)

Call me a pessimist, but that seems like a stretch considering the ALMS as we've known it will sadly cease to exist at the end of the year, when it merges with Grand-AM. I wonder if the new USCR series will continue the association with Forza, although I have to say, I shudder at the thought of Daytona Prototypes in the game.

As for next week's news, the Formula 1 Italian Grand Prix is next weekend, so it will be a perfect time to announce-- but not show-- Yas Marina. :p

Looking great there. But man turn down the sun glare...
That always looks more overpowering in off-screen footage, it won't be as bad when it's hitting your eyes instead of a CCD. That said, it'd be nice if they'd show an atmosphere other than sunshine so bright it makes the sky white. I know the point is realism rather than beauty, but I wouldn't mind seeing a little golden-hour drama in the mix.

It is so annoying isn't it? Supposed realism, but lens flare through a first person view. They aren't the only guilty party of course. Games like Battlefield even throw in dirty marks on the screen. Last I checked, my eyes don't have dirty splodges all over them.

Notice in that video it is the old Kinect sensor hooked up to the machine?

ManteoMax

8pBaNHyOFKesjvthmZeP.png

It is so annoying isn't it? Supposed realism, but lens flare through a first person view. They aren't the only guilty party of course. Games like Battlefield even throw in dirty marks on the screen. Last I checked, my eyes don't have dirty splodges all over them.

It may not be the best way, but together with all the glare it is a way of simulating what you experience when driving toward the sun on a bright and sunny day (and this summer gave me plenty of such occasions). Your TV screen will never be capable of producing such an squint-inducing effect naturally since it's not a strong enough light source.

Majanew

Banned

Notice in that video it is the old Kinect sensor hooked up to the machine?

You're wearing a racing helmet with a visor in FM5. And some of the soldiers in BF3 are wearing goggles/sunglasses. So there ya go. ;)

My big gripe is the amount of glare on the road. It needs toned down. The overall lighting in Forza has always been a weak spot visually, for me. Doesn't look realistic/natural.

eso76

This week's news might seal the deal for me.
I need to preorder before 9/15 (free Forza deal!) and I just need a little something to push me over the fence.
Do it T10, a trailer showing a decent amount of tracks and cars.
Make me eager to throw my money at Microsoft.

This week's news might seal the deal for me.
I need to preorder before 9/15 (free Forza deal!) and I just need a little something to push me over the fence.
Do it T10, a trailer showing a decent amount of tracks and cars.
Make me eager to throw my money at Microsoft.

What's this about free Forza?

For sure we are consulted but obviously whilst we can offer feedback the major decisions are ultimately made by the wheel makers themselves. You're best off putting forwards your questions to them as to whether they'll be adding clutch/H-shifter functionality in the future for the announced wheels, as these really aren't our questions to answer.

Can you at least confirm a clutch can be used with a wheel setup?

It's an option for control pad users.

p3tran

Banned
I think that an option to map the clutch to a button on the wheel will definitely be there, like it was in previous forza's for wheels with no clutch.
I would not worry about that..

p.s
Helios, are this weeks news gonna be like ..Friday-ish?
and more importantly, are they in readable form or in watchable form?

until then,
ken block doing the f4 corkscrew:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8StTb-S-lCM&hd=1
old physics style 8)

HeliosT10

I think that an option to map the clutch to a button on the wheel will definitely be there, like it was in previous forza's for wheels with no clutch.

p.s

until then,
old physics style 8)

Latter part of the week is the current plan, and as for the media type it's a bit of everything really.

eso76

Latter part of the week is the current plan, and as for the media type it's a bit of everything really.

So, monday is the first day of the week.
Tuesday is the first day of the latter part of the week.

(always suspected it was going to be thursd/friday)

p3tran

Banned
domain names seem to verify our findings... :)

p.s.
thanks Helios, how about a pic until then?
like a fat v8 on bathurst or something ;Ppp

saladine1

p.s

until then,
old physics style 8)

This guy has some very well made videos!

Maybe i'm just too easily pleased, but FM4 looks absolutely fantastic!

Oh, and Bathurst 1000 will start 10th October. So if, when, Turn 10 decide to announce it, that would be the ideal time. Obviously, we as fans would rather see it earlier but whatever, I'll take it any which way....

G Rom

I think they forgot turncarloversintogamersandgamersintocarlovers.com. :p

Bathurst 1000, nice one though !

Could the reveal be related to Monza due to F1 GP ? Monza + Ferrari blow out would be the best !

eso76

Went back to play FM4 last week and it does look great.
From the little we've seen so far, I think color palette/wise it looks slightly more realistic than 5, which seem to have gone back to FM3 colourful look. We'll see though

I don't think less colourful=more realistic, some tracks were almost totally drained of it and never looked convincing.

From what we've seen of the direct footage from trailers the colour range, pallete and temperature is pretty good, the offscreen videos vary a lot.

p3tran

Banned

Oh, and Bathurst 1000 will start 10th October. So if, when, Turn 10 decide to announce it, that would be the ideal time. Obviously, we as fans would rather see it earlier but whatever, I'll take it any which way....

yeap, this guy is talented all right.
other guys doing good videos exist too, like this guy here:
1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5jxMvmKLho&hd=1
2) www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9by0UEAOOU&hd=1

and yeah, forza looks, but more importantly PLAYS fantastic 8)
and horizon, it very easily took best arcade racer/best open road racer category too.

Last time i checked my eyes did not create lens flare effects staring at the sun. Lenses do. This is stuff that should not be in a sim.

Shame the car glass does. Driving on a non cloudy day without sunglasses sucks ass.
Especially in the morning or in the evening when the sun is rising or setting.

eso76

I don't think less colourful=more realistic, some tracks were almost totally drained of it and never looked convincing.

From what we've seen of the direct footage from trailers the colour range, pallete and temperature is pretty good, the offscreen videos vary a lot.

idk, lighting and palette look rather convincing here.

http://youtu.be/Jqmcf9meUcc?t=23s

FM5 laguna seca, i don't really know though, since the only direct feed we have obviously have color issues)

Also, what are the chances Xbone DVR can export files to USB ? in a format i can edit ?
I always wanted to do a montage myself, but having to upload single clips and download them to be able to do some editing always put me off

idk, lighting and palette look rather convincing here.

http://youtu.be/Jqmcf9meUcc?t=23s

You know I think it has a lot to do with which display you play it on.

On my monitor bumping up the backlight can bring out the colour and lighting, it kind of 'pops' and you get more of a feeling of intensity of the sun but my projector which is the main display looks flat and dull, Tsukuba fares pretty well though.

The trailers for F5 look great in both displays, Prague is oozing with delicious colour compared to anything seen on F4, hope Amalfi gets the same treatment.

Top Bottom