• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 at gamescom - Spa confirmed

amar212

They should completely change how their color grading and light temperarure system works.

The Kojima Production presentation about Fox Engine and lighting engine is a great showcase of what games that goes for realistic lighthning should be doing.

Everything starts from grayscale white balance and building a color-grading through proper light-temperarure values. Once you have that 3 groups of parametres properly foundated, everyrhing will look as it should.

Klocker

ok I see the graphics and physics will be great but pleas t10 if you won't tell us about cars/tracks/// please tell us about features

how will the best laps be counted in regard to stats per car? what stats will there? can I have a best lap for every car I run in the game based on class? Can I compare that to my friends cars and times of similar class?

are you adding more depth to those parts? details?

adelante

Customizable color grading would be a welcome feature in general but like with film and photography, developers have their own distinctive look and feel for their games. In Forza4's case, Turn10 seems to like this "bleach bypass" look a lot (as evident in their promo shots)... It's a neat, stylistic approach for sure (one that photo retouchers like myself would sometimes use on portrait shots... and film directors with war movies) but the desaturated look detracts the realistic qualities from the graphics.

With GT5, Kazunori went the opposite direction and developed a look that mimicked "the best and most aesthetically pleasing conditions" that would make great lighting/temperature for phototaking and it really shows in a lot of screenshots taken of that game.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
So, there is new (proper ingame?) loading screen. Looks good. Also Dan is good driver, all right. The part where he driver in 3rd person side-view and still perfectly passing all these corners...

i laughed at that too.

p3tran

Banned
ok I see the graphics and physics will be great but pleas t10 if you won't tell us about cars/tracks/// please tell us about features

how will the best laps be counted in regard to stats per car? what stats will there? can I have a best lap for every car I run in the game based on class? Can I compare that to my friends cars and times of similar class?

are you adding more depth to those parts? details?

touche!
this is one of the things I am more interested in upgrading from f4.

Please listen Helios, and forward this to the t10 team member that does the leaderboards:

I wanna know if my mk5 GTI class C, is the fastest golf gti class C in tsukuba.
and in another leaderboard, in laguna seca.
I dont care if an american muscle car that used a rear spoiler just to drop to class C, smokes everything because it has 100kgs of torque in C class. or maybe i care, but for sure I dont want the leaderboards to show that car only.

I want to know how MY GOLF does in relation to ALL OTHER GOLFS.
the same about my class D mini cooper works, and the same for my S class ferrari, etc.
or, I want to know if I am the best lamborghini tuner/driver.

will turn 10 make it happen?
will the leaderboards be UPGRADED to hold more information about the cars we prefer?
I mean, Dan has said numerous times that this time, the entire career is played out differently, just so you can hang on to your favorite car.
will the leaderboards show the same love to our favorites?

i mean, will the cloud power (servers) be put to full use here? book-keeping is serious business in racing ;)

thx

eso76

The trailers for F5 look great in both displays, Prague is oozing with delicious colour compared to anything seen on F4, hope Amalfi gets the same treatment.

So, goes back to looking like a track from classic ridge racer like it did in fm3 ?
Eek, don't listen to this man, T10!

(I'm afraid the only treatment amalfi is getting is the axe :/ )

eso76

I'm not talking about boosting the saturation like F3's Nurburgring GP, I just want more unique colours in there.

You're right, reality has colours, but Forza apparently still struggles with lighting and correct color grading, to the point it needs to be desaturated to look a little more realistic.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
at this point i think its safe to say that the art director behind forza's look isnt going for photorealism. forza has that CG movie , photoshoped vibrant stylized look to it. something beyond reality and i dont think its an accident.

turn 10, i need this in fm5. even if its DLC. i will pay good money.

6167050331_0880b0c64f_o.jpg

Mascot

For sure we are consulted but obviously whilst we can offer feedback the major decisions are ultimately made by the wheel makers themselves. You're best off putting forwards your questions to them as to whether they'll be adding clutch/H-shifter functionality in the future for the announced wheels, as these really aren't our questions to answer.

Thanks Helios. If I worked for Turn 10 I think I'd be mightily disappointed that Microsoft have licensed clutchless FFB wheels, meaning he clutch will only be used by gamepad players*. It seems like a massive step backwards from the previous gen.

*not including pressing a button on the steering wheel, which is downright silly.

saladine1

at this point i think its safe to say that the art director behind forza's look isnt going for photorealism. forza has that CG movie , photoshoped vibrant stylized look to it. something beyond reality and i dont think its an accident.

turn 10, i need this in fm5. even if its DLC. i will pay good money.

While FM5's Forzavista is the best looking thing i've seen, I've also resigned to the fact that photo-realism(on track) isn't their aim.

For me, GT5 (photomode/replay) can look real life in so many ways and more often too than FM4. Again, FM4 looks great but there's hardly any confusion between reality and virtual.

Anyway, there's talk of some open wheel footage tomorrow....

Man, even if they're having issues with aliasing and stuff now I'm not really worrying. I'm still hyped. I remember telling SarBear in the other thread about seeing the SVT Cobra's getting recorded for sound. I want to get a glimpse at dat car list and see if my dear SVT Cobra is going to be in the game finally ;-;

Just think. Forzavista 1080p SVT Cobra, plus that glorious new Audio hopefully emphasizing that delicious Eaton supercharger whine... Droollll

Metzhara

Racing the track in Prague on "Forza 5" made me remember those great times I had in the "Project Gotham Racing" series. Visually, I enjoyed that game a great deal. That was a series I loved to pieces. I am a super Forza fan... but I, too, loved PGR.

Damn you to those monsters who crushed you.

-Adam

p3tran

Banned
TeamVVV part 5 - controller and new physics.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3nkbAuOzqY

Mentions aliasing issues :(

he mentions aliasing and flicker in menus, and that aliasing is less when in race.
maybe Alan can chip in when he sees this.

1080p does not provide for a completely jaggies-free visual environment.
personally I have noticed jaggies in places like the honeycomb rear grates and the parts where the door touches the frame, mainly inside the garage in closeups or the pre-race screen.
while racing, it seems to be clear enough. as clear as 1920x1080 should be anyway.

do we know what AA solution they will be using?

p3tran

Banned
Maybe we don't have 1920x1080 native, and more like 1600x1080 - would explain menu issues and stuff.

haha that would make Dan and the gang a whole lot less credible, as they have stated it is 1920x1080 numerous times.
i dont think so

and of course, if you can have the racing part of the game 1080p/60, i dont see one reason why you cant have a static room with a single car running at half the framerate with double the AA, and more.

eso76

he mentions aliasing and flicker in menus, and that aliasing is less when in race.
maybe Alan can chip in when he sees this.

1080p does not provide for a completely jaggies-free visual environment.

Yep, plus sitting at PC monitor distance.
Will be fine on your screens at home

derFeef

Still, 1080p even without any AA at all would not produce such reaction imo. Could have been the TV's or scaling issues for sure, but who knows.

HELIOS!

p3tran

Banned
Still, 1080p even without any AA at all would not produce such reaction imo. Could have been the TV's or scaling issues for sure, but who knows.

HELIOS!
1080p without ANY AA at all has jaggies. i expect forza to have some decent form of AA.

Mascot

Remember how shit PGR3 looked on the official demo pod Samsungs? It was aliasing hell. That was down to scalers on the displays or just badly set-up displays. I'm sure FM5 will look great on all of your televisions.

ekim

People complaining about resolutions and jaggies probably sit very close to their TV.
I really can't see a huge difference between 720p and 1080p on my 47" TV and I'm sitting 9-10 feet away from it. If I get closer - sure, I see the difference.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I doubt we'll see any aliasing in the final version. Specially at a proper sitting distance.

I'm sure those demo builds are fairly old.

p3tran

Banned
I really can't see a huge difference between 720p and 1080p on my 47" TV and I'm sitting 9-10 feet away from it. If I get closer - sure, I see the difference.

NOOOO! dont say shit like that, or this generation is doomed from day 1!! :D

the difference is there, and its is more than double the pixel density.
0.9 megapixel to 2.1 megapixel is quite significant.

Krilekk

Banned
NOOOO! dont say shit like that, or this generation is doomed from day 1!! :D

the difference is there, and its is more than double the pixel density.
0.9 megapixel to 2.1 megapixel is quite significant.

I'm pretty sure you can't tell the difference either. 10 feet is a LOT.

Forza 1 on it is disgusting, going back to F4 after an hour is like going 4K, literally cannot see aliasing (unless you go looking for it) for a good half hour.

Seanspeed

Banned
People complaining about resolutions and jaggies probably sit very close to their TV.
Racing games like this are best experienced closer up, I think. More immersive and you can usually drive better.

It's a tab on the FM site.

You log in and depending on your tier you can claim in game money and unicorns for FH/FM4.

Claiming them doesn't affect next month's rewards but you might have missed out on the Mines R34 and a few million credits, this time I got the M3 GTR and another GT500.

p3tran

Banned
It's a tab on the FM site.

You log in and depending on your tier you can claim in game money and unicorns for FH/FM4.

well, fuck!! it says I'm driving since 2007!!! now that is offensive :D
should it also bring my forza 1 og xbox data,or is it 360 only?

it says tier 5, but I'm missing a little stuff from f3, f4 and fh. only forza 2 gives full marks.
still top of my f/l, but McKane, Diablohead and masscot are close. I'm like 4582pts gross.
is that good? what do I get? :D

p.s.
oh, you can drill down some stuff... haha nice..
from a first look, apparently, Russtic has put double(!) the time in horizon than me, :D
and a good 40(!) people on my current f/l got full marks for F4 days, mileage, level etc. 8)

so what do we win? :D

well, fuck!! it says I'm driving since 2007!!! now that is offensive :D
should it also bring my forza 1 og xbox data,or is it 360 only?

it says tier 5, but I'm missing a little stuff from f3, f4 and fh. only forza 2 gives full marks.
still top of my f/l, but McKane, Diablohead and masscot are close. I'm like 4582pts gross.
is that good? what do I get? :D

p.s.
oh, you can drill down some stuff... haha nice..
from a first look, apparently, Russtic has put double(!) the time in horizon than me, :D
and a good 40(!) people on my current f/l got full marks for F4 days, mileage, level etc. 8)

so what do we win? :D

Think you are tier 5 by the score.

2m F4 credits
2m FH credits
M3 GTR
GT500
CRX (Horizon)
SL65 AMG Black (Horizon)

Hoping to see the 360 CS soon, it's the only unicorn I wanted.

p3tran

Banned
Think your tier 5 by the score.

2m F4 credits
2m FH credits
M3 GTR
GT500
CRX (Horizon)
SL65 AMG Black (Horizon)

ONLY 2+2 million credits??? what is this? Scrooge McDuck Reward System? :D
Come turn10, dont be a cheap son of a bitch!! :))
players leaving the 360 with a top tier level should leave it as BILLIONAIRES, and buy & gift expensive cars worth 2 million each left and right!!
my combined f2/3/4/h garage/funds is in billions of credits, easily. I cant even put gas in them cars with this petty change you are rewarding us with 8)

Top Bottom