• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6 Announced for Xbox One

Megasoum

Banned
I kinda get both sides of the argument.

Yes, Motorsport and Horizon are chalk and cheese in racing terms, but from the naysayer perspective, the consumer is ultimately seeing the name Forza on a yearly basis now.

I assume that's what they mean.

It's still more diversified than COD or AC

truth411

Forza 5 received none of the extra opened power and efficiency that other games have benefited from.

I'm not seeing that as much of a Game changer, 1080p@60fps is expensive for the X1. They should do weather, 3d crowds, day/night cycles, actually having some form of AA (Forza 5 had no AA). It would be better to keep 60 fps and drop resolution, it would still look better than Forza 5 by simply adding AA.

Edit: GT5 was @ 1280x1080 and looked really good.

Hoje0308

Banned
As a newcomer to the Xbox brand, I'm very much looking forward to this. Wheels are already cheap and will be even more so by release.

And no, I'm not gonna bother with Forza 5. I'm still addicted to Driveclub and Project Cars and Formula One aren't too far off.

Megasoum

Banned
Yeah... all this talk today plus the fact I got my TH8A ealier this week really makes me want to continue my FM5 career.

Anion

I'm not seeing that as much of a Game changer, 1080p@60fps is expensive for the X1. They should do weather, 3d crowds, day/night cycles, actually having some form of AA (Forza 5 had no AA). It would be better to keep 60 fps and drop resolution, it would still look better than Forza 5 by simply adding AA.

As a fan, I agree with that. But I kinda doubt that is going to happen because of the massive bad press they will get for that. And that would be terrible

Forza 5 had MSAA2X, on top of 1080p and a locked 60fps... That's impressive on its own for a launch title. Yeah there were some downgrades compared to the E3 reveal, but there were also some improvements. I don't doubt that with more time they will be able to surpass the E3 demo and then some, at the same resolution/framerate.

(And going by the SDK docs, on Xbone, if you manage to hit MSAA 2X, upping it to 4X comes almost free if you use the esram properly, so perhaps they could even hit that)

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
It's still more diversified than COD or AC

I don't think you got the point of my post. I'm not arguing either way. I don't like racing games much and I definitely dont' like Sim racers, so Forza/GT aren't my thing.

While I'm well aware how different they are (I said so in my post), I was simply saying I can see where the milking argument comes from.

In the end, J6P just sees a "Forza" game every year. In the same way they see a "CoD" game every year. Now while each CoD game isn't vastly different from the last, they're still different, but they're also still CoD.

They should do weather, 3d crowds, day/night cycles, actually having some form of AA (Forza 5 had no AA). It would be better to keep 60 fps and drop resolution, it would still look better than Forza 5 by simply adding AA.

Weather and day/night cycles would be fantastic. I'm hoping these are included. Also, forza 5 does indeed have post processing AA (at least according to my eyes and digital foundry). One thing is for sure, it is certainly much smoother and less jaggy that forza 3/4 and gt 5/6 which, I agree, look quite good.

Megasoum

Banned
I don't think you got the point of my post. I'm not arguing either way. I don't like racing games much and I definitely dont' like Sim racers, so Forza/GT aren't my thing.

While I'm well aware how different they are (I said so in my post), I was simply saying I can see where the milking argument comes from.

In the end, J6P just sees a "Forza" game every year. In the same way they see a "CoD" game every year. Now while each CoD game isn't vastly different from the last, they're still different, but they're also still CoD.

Sure I see you point. The thing is that the only common thing between Forza Motorsport and Forza Horizon is the "Forza" part in the name. Other than that it's two completely different franchises.

I don't think releasing a new game in a franchise every 2 years is considered milking it.

I think Forza 4 and 5 did more to harm the brand than Horizon did. Took the franchise into Madden/Gran Turismo territory of iterative cash-ins.

skyfinch

day mother fucking one! Turn 10 did an outstanding job launching fm5 on xbox one at 60fps 1080p (fuck the haters who bash the cardboard cutouts). If the jump from fm2 to fm3 is any idication of what 5-6 is going to look like, we are in for some serious eye candy.

synce

It's mostly the same tracks and cars, why WOULDN'T it release every year? Turn 10 is actually competent, they're not taking 10 years trying to cram 3,000 Skylines into this shit.

I kinda get both sides of the argument.

Yes, Motorsport and Horizon are chalk and cheese in racing terms, but from the naysayer perspective, the consumer is ultimately seeing the name Forza on a yearly basis now.

I assume that's what they mean.

I wonder if they find the dozen or so Driveclub threads annoying?

truth411

Forza 5 had MSAA2X, on top of 1080p and a locked 60fps... That's impressive on its own for a launch title. Yeah there were some downgrades compared to the E3 reveal, but there were also some improvements. I don't doubt that with more time they will be able to surpass the E3 demo and then some, at the same resolution/framerate.

(And going by the SDK docs, on Xbone, if you manage to hit MSAA 2X, upping it to 4X comes almost free if you use the esram properly, so perhaps they could even hit that)

Don't hold your breath lol.
Edit: in reference to Forza 5 initial reveal trailer.

Megasoum

Banned
they sure release these fast. I'm getting guitar hero vibes

It's mostly the same tracks and cars, why WOULDN'T it release every year? Turn 10 is actually competent, they're not taking 10 years trying to cram 3,000 Skylines into this shit.

... They've been releasing a new Forza game every 2 years exactly for the last 10 years. They haven't changed the schedule or the rythym of releases.

Don't hold your breath lol.
Edit: in reference to Forza 5 initial reveal trailer.

Why not. E3 demo looked close to the reveal trailer. It's 2 years later, the Kinect reserve is available and the dev tools are way better. I expect it to look pretty damn good and run at 1080p 60fps.

Agreed. It's a well known fact that the SDK for the X1 was pretty generic at launch, and Turn-10 still did a nice job with Forza-5. Playground Games did an amazing job with FH2, and clearly they did not have access to the latest SDK, being that it was released in December.

I would expect with further SDK improvements and implementation of D3D12, Forza-6 should be impressive.

Aeqvitas

Is this a comment born from ignorance, thinking that the 2 horizon entries are even similar racing games?

Or is it just an excuse to try to downplay something because it isn't on one's preferred platform?

It feels like when I hear people complain about Apple releasing a new ipad or iPhone every year, and say that is why they like Android (even though there is a new flagship android phone almost every month).

I think racing games are rare enough on the market that you don't need to worry about over saturation...

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
I think Forza 4 and 5 did more to harm the brand than Horizon did. Took the franchise into Madden/Gran Turismo territory of iterative cash-ins.

this-cannot-be-real.gif

Forza 4 (91 MC)
Forza 5 (79 MC)
Forza Horizon 1 (85 MC)
Forza Horizon 2 (86 MC)

are some of the best rated racing games and critically acclaimed.

Two years is abnormal to you?

For this kind of driving game yeah, but FM6 is needed as FM5 was obviously rushed to hit that launch window so it should be the game people wanted from the series. What the team have done with FM is fantastic and it is the type of game if you properly get into you can play for years, the tracks are pretty much the same from game to game and the cars are pretty much the same as well so what's under the hood really makes the difference and a release date every two years doesn't really give enough time to make this meaningful and starts to feel like a FIFA or Maddden game.

The flaws for me started to become noticeable in FM4 and the series is now relegated to the wait until they fix them just like GT (PD they still haven't fixed the flaws) or buy them every few releases.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Please no microtransactions.

(I know this is false hope.)

Are the Horizon studios different than the ones that make these games? They sure like to put out these games now eh.

Let's see if they cut down on the micro transactions now.

Shocking!

I hope they tone down drivatar and microtransactions nonsense. Maybe get day/night and next gen weather

What was wrong with the micro transactions, as long as how much you earn in CRs is okay then whats the problem with micro transactions?

P.S Drivatars need to return with avengence.

rrc1594

For this kind of driving game yeah, but FM6 is needed as FM5 was obviously rushed to hit that launch window so it should be the game people wanted from the series. What the team have done with FM is fantastic and it is the type of game if you properly get into you can play for years, the tracks are pretty much the same from game to game and the cars are pretty much the same as well so what's under the hood really makes the difference and a release date every two years doesn't really give enough time to make this meaningful and starts to feel like a FIFA or Maddden game.

The flaws for me started to become noticeable in FM4 and the series is now relegated to the wait until they fix them just like GT (PD they still haven't fixed the flaws) or buy them every few releases.

That's the best one doe

Deviousx

As a fan, I agree with that. But I kinda doubt that is going to happen because of the massive bad press they will get for that. And that would be terrible

As long as Turn 10 keep it at locked 60FPS, then a slight resolution drop is fine with me. I don't think a resolution drop will receive that bad of a reception from people as long as the features like night racing and weather look good. Couple that with MSAA and/or decent post-AA and the image-quality should not take that bad of a hit.

But I am pretty sure Turn 10/MS will push for native 1080p @ 60FPS no matter what.

Wereroku

FM5 has a 79mc rating?

I didn't know it dropped that low.

It got shit on real hard for it's original stupid ass micro transaction design. However they basically fixed all of that and more but with MC original reviews are all that count.

What was wrong with the micro transactions, as long as how much you earn in CRs is okay then whats the problem with micro transactions?

P.S Drivatars need to return with avengence.

To be fair Drivatars are super ymmv. I was watching a friend play a while back and one of the bastards just straight plowed into him. It was fucking insane we really thought it was a real person just trolling the shit out of him.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
With that Windows 10 even coming soon, I wouldn't be surprised if this or another game were announced for PC.

It'd be interesting to see them bring Forza 6 to PC. Especially with Project Cars still not out yet. If they announced that at the Windows X event which is... what... next week? Next month? It'd be hilarious for a competition sake.

Though, I'd personally want them to bring Horizon 2/3 to PC over Motorsport.

Noobcraft

It'd be interesting to see them bring Forza 6 to PC. Especially with Project Cars still not out yet. If they announced that at the Windows X event which is... what... next week? Next month? It'd be hilarious for a competition sake.

I think PC should just get it's own Forza Motorsport titles, separate from the console releases. Forza Universe or something with more customizability than you can offer on a console (mods, track customization, etc.) There is clearly demand for racing sims on PC with high production values.

Then again, I think Polyphony should do the same thing. It would be cool to see.

I can see them doing Motorsport and Horizon for XBOne only, and then another different title for PC. Maybe not a Forza game, but another new racing game

kpaadet

Don't forget Turn10 is a big studio, like Ubisoft big, them releasing a new driving game where is main template is basicly the same seems fine to me. What annoys me is that some forget that in relation to Polyphony, there is no way they can produce games as fast when they're like half the size.

Top Bottom