• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6 has "wet weather, 3D puddles and night races" + more

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
More Touring Cars is absolutely great news!
An often requested class of mine. Hopefully, Turn 10 includes more classic Touring Cars, and yes, I'm talking about classic Aussie Touring Cars such as these..

vPU3rTF.jpg

Clock is ticking Turn 10. Our nation is waiting for you to deliver unto us the promised ones..

*drools*

The noise of that thing too!

Lug Nuts

Banned
On a totally serious level, the motion for tyre movement in modern racing games is still "faked," because even at a 360hz refresh rate for the physics engine, wheels moving at full speed exceed the 60 fps display information. I have a feeling the tyre branding on the side makes that harder to fake.

How does Pcars and GT6 deal with it? Or is that a different refresh rate?

_machine

Both have custom shaders on top of the actual model, which naturally doesn't actually spin at the full speed due to technical limitations. I believe both use a custom blur texture baked from each tire texture that is then animated in the shader. Just a week to Gamescom, I'm pretty excited about trying out the game.

Gestault

No sims I'm aware of have a fast enough refresh rate (it's not really practical to do it fast enough for wheel-spin). I'd just assume their rendering solutions are different. It's a challenge, but definitely not a barrier.

Mascot

Both have custom shaders on top of the actual model, which naturally doesn't actually spin at the full speed due to technical limitations. I believe both use a custom blur texture baked from each tire texture that is then animated in the shader.
Mmm. Maybe that is still a limitation of the Forza graphics engine. I can't believe T10 are oblivious to sidewall branding, so there must be a genuine reason for the continued omission.

willbsn13

Somebody on the Forza forums claims that Dan said in an interview Career mode races will be longer than the 2-3 laps races in FM5's career (not just the inclusion of endurance racing) but hasn't put a source for that interview as he hasn't replied yet. Hopefully we'll get some confirmation on this soon

Somebody on the Forza forums claims that Dan said in an interview Career mode races will be longer than the 2-3 laps races in FM5's career (not just the inclusion of endurance racing) but hasn't put a source for that interview as he hasn't replied yet. Hopefully we'll get some confirmation on this soon

Would be nice if so. Even an extra lap or 2 would make a big difference for a scrub like me.

willbsn13

Would be nice if so. Even an extra lap or 2 would make a big difference for a scrub like me.

Ideally a slider would be great. Gives everybody the maximum choice of length of races. Im hoping they've added this in, but won't be torn if they don't. We'll see at gamescom I guess

Mascot

Excellent!

Ideally a slider would be great. Gives everybody the maximum choice of length of races. Im hoping they've added this in, but won't be torn if they don't. We'll see at gamescom I guess

Yep - give us the choice to play how we want.

Lug Nuts

Banned
Yep - give us the choice to play how we want.
Speaking of which I hope they allow us to do proper custom races offline like you can do in private online lobbies, like choose the ammount of AI cars, which cars they drive etc, teams, loads of specific rules. Forza 4's system was great it's just a shame it was locked behind a paywall.

saladine1

Oh, God no, I just caught onto the lack of tyre brandings...again!

For goodness sake Turn 10, for the love of all things turbo charged and engine swapped, please, just tell us why this seemingly simple feature isn't available in the Forza universe...

Please...!!?1?2#

Fox Mulder

all i want is the option. If someone is happy with 2 laps, great for them. Let me bump career races to an hour if I want to. I don't see why that would be so difficult.

Pcars makes it easy to sit down and have fun at a track with a car for a bit in career, not hop around every 5 minutes. Plus a career with short races highlights how few tracks forza has compared to a game like pcars.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Oh, God no, I just caught onto the lack of tyre brandings...again!

For goodness sake Turn 10, for the love of all things turbo charged and engine swapped, please, just tell us why this seemingly simple feature isn't available in the Forza universe...

Please...!!?1?2#

Even if it was generic tyre branding... Just something please.

Cursor hovering over the Ultimate, but I'm not sure I can justify it. There are already so many cars in-game - I don't need them all. I didn't even buy the car pass for Forza 5 (IIRC you couldn't buy a digital bundle with it included).

But I really do hate seeing an amazing car, then the 'DLC' sign next to it. If I could turn those cars off, I'd be happy - but I don't like not having a full game.

Also, £50? Come on T10. All other first party / third party exclusives are £45.

Mascot

all i want is the option. If someone is happy with 2 laps, great for them. Let me bump career races to an hour if I want to. I don't see why that would be so difficult.

My ongoing suspicion since FM2 was that longer races might expose flaws in the AI balancing, but with Drivatars back I guess that should no longer be a consideration. Maybe it's just down to design philosophy, catering to all players at the expense of more 'hardcore' players. I've no idea why choice can't be introduced though.

terrible

Banned
Has T10 mentioned anywhere if the magnetic grass effect has been removed or toned down significantly?

I've been playing a fair bit of Assetto Corsa and Project Cars along with Forza 5 lately and the way you get pulled off the track and into the grass or dirt just by going near it in Forza really makes it annoying to drive compared to those other games. It makes me afraid to use all the track in Forza. I'm surprised at how rare of a complaint this seems to be.

Has T10 mentioned anywhere if the magnetic grass effect has been removed or toned down significantly?

I've been playing a fair bit of Assetto Corsa and Project Cars along with Forza 5 lately and the way you get pulled off the track and into the grass or dirt just by going near it in Forza really makes it annoying to drive compared to those other games. It makes me afraid to use all the track in Forza. I'm surprised at how rare of a complaint this seems to be.

I remember reading that the new tire walls are essentially a replacement for the quicksand in older games. So now it's more of a physical block on some tracks instead of a magical power reduction.

Mascot

I remember reading that the new tire walls are essentially a replacement for the quicksand in older games. So now it's more of a physical block on some tracks instead of a magical power reduction.

Won't those tyre walls all be destroyed by the end of the first lap though?

terrible

Banned

I don't really mean the quicksand though, I mean the magnetic pull the edges of tracks seem to have. Like just touching a bit of grass while going down a straight pulls you completely off the track and into the dirt. I haven't experienced that in any other game other than Forza.

Mascot

I don't really mean the quicksand though, I mean the magnetic pull the edges of tracks seem to have. Like just touching a bit of grass while going down a straight pulls you completely off the track and into the dirt. I haven't experienced that in any other game other than Forza.

It's a genuine physical effect (more grip on tarmac, less on grass, turning moment induced), but waaaaaaay overblown in FM.

terrible

Banned
So you think they're trying to simulate a real life effect but they've just overdone it?

In Assetto Corsa and PCars there's just basically a loss of grip when you do that, and even then it only really becomes an unmanageable problem if you're putting two tires in the dirt. Just touching it or driving near it thankfully doesn't ruin your day like in Forza.

Fox Mulder

So you think they're trying to simulate a real life effect but they've just overdone it?

In Assetto Corsa and PCars there's just basically a loss of grip when you do that, and even then it only really becomes an unmanageable problem if you're putting two tires in the dirt. Just touching it or driving near it thankfully doesn't ruin your day like in Forza.

and I like how the AI flies over the dirt and grass like it's nothing, while I live in fear of it.

robatw

the question is. what wheel should i buy for this game.. the new logitech 920 or the thrustmaster tx?

The Logitech is pretty expensive, but the TX has a lot of bad reputation (breaks a lot)

The TX has had some reliability problems but getting a replacement was easy and I've had no problems with the it since.

The Logitech is too expensive for what is it imo.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I'd assume that most of the walls themselves are solid, and that the tires that fly around are just detachable ones that sit on top.

Well unless they have solid walls right up to the entry and exit apexes on Eau Rouge and the like, what's the point?

God, corner cutting is so hilariously rampant online in FM5 and it really appears T10 is doing even less about it.

Fox Mulder

Well unless they have solid walls right up to the entry and exit apexes on Eau Rouge and the like, what's the point?

God, corner cutting is so hilariously rampant online in FM5 and it really appears T10 is doing even less about it.

corner cutting turned me off from online. I got tired of seeing stuff like people entirely cut the final turn on the le mans short track for the win.

I'm not a game developer, but huge cheat spots on a race track is baffling to me. Make an invisible wall if you have to keep people from obviously driving off track. They fuck you hard for getting bumped in the quicksand grass at the first couple of turns at Road Atlanta, but someone can just cut an entire corner and benefit somewhere else.

theWB27

Now that I've finally been able to play forza 5 I have to say the flappy paddle/sticks not being animated sticks out like a sore thumb.

It's a small detail, but I don't understand why they haven't animated this yet.

Has anyone noticed if they're animated in 6?

Mascot

Now that I've finally been able to play forza 5 I have to say the flappy paddle/sticks not being animated sticks out like a sore thumb.

It's a small detail, but I don't understand why they haven't animated this yet.

Has anyone noticed if they're animated in 6?

I thought they were animated in FM5..?

well, the hand motions are...but maybe he is saying the hand makes the shift motions but the paddle itself (as part of the car model) doesn't move.

It is a very....particular....gripe imo

LoveCake

Does anyone know if there are going to be any special/limited/collectors editions at retail for Forza 6?

I keep looking & cannot find anything about it, i'm tempted by the VIP version on the Xbone Live store, not 100% about going digital though.

BADNED

Does anyone know if there are going to be any special/limited/collectors editions at retail for Forza 6?

I keep looking & cannot find anything about it, i'm tempted by the VIP version on the Xbone Live store, not 100% about going digital though.
No. Retail is getting only standard edition, no specials at all!

Gek54

It's a genuine physical effect (more grip on tarmac, less on grass, turning moment induced), but waaaaaaay overblown in FM.

No way, that effect is much more true to life than what other games are doing. You should have to fight increased rolling friction of grass that is trying to turn your wheels toward it.

OrangeOak

Have they said anything about driving model?
I hope there is more grip in Forza 6 than 5. I can't really push cars in 5 on wheel. They are sliding too much.

LoveCake

I went digital only on the XB1 after saying I wouldnt. It's just pretty convenient and I really only spend $60 on games I know I'll play for awhile anyways, like Forza, gta5, and horizon 2.

When i got my X1 it was the Sunset Overdrive white one & it had a code for the game & also Forza 5, i had enough credit to get the digital version of Forza Horizon 2 as well, the only physical X1 game i have is Ryse.

So i think i will have no option but to get Forza 6 digitally.

Still strange that there is no physical SE/CE/LE-edition versions.

Top Bottom