• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fox News Insider: "We Just Make Shit Up!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hylian7

.....and yet my family still watches it. At least they have the sense to change the channel when Glenn Beck comes on though, I'll give them that one.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Anslon said:
What? This is news to me. It makes sense, but what color is it really? I go by the superman version, and each time I see him fly into space, he's always kicking it to a yellow sun.

On a side note, I have an uncle who swears by fox news. He offered me furniture to help out my house when I first got one but I turned it down. I made up a reason to be nice, but I had a feeling his view had been so skewed by fox that even the furniture would lean to the right.

The sun's white from space since it's so bright and emits light from pretty much the entire visible spectrum but it has stronger peaks near the yellow wavelength so that's why it looks yellow after the light gets refracted in the atmosphere.

LQX said:
And of course an "insider" would not make shit up.

Do you doubt what is said? Because what he is saying doesn't require inside knowledge . . . it is all on-its-face apparent by merely watching Fox with an objective view.

Is there one conserative in this thread that actually feels that Fox News is really that terrible? It's like everything else out there. If you feel like your point is being given some emphasis of not being all that bad (liberal of conservative) then you immediately find value in it. I'm a conserative and I don't really care for news channels anymore like this, but I don't think they are all that bad honestly. I personally can't stand to watch the left leaning MSNBC, read liberal blogs, etc. because they give legitmicay to something I personlly don't believe in or care for. Nobody really goes to these channels or websites to have their opinions challenged, and come out of it saying, "Maybe I was wrong with my opinion on that." So what's the point? They attract republicans / conseratives. Whoopdidoo. They just keep winning the news ratings race with their formula, and that's all that matters in the end.

jambo

L4Uw4.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
HocusPocus said:
Is there one conserative in this thread that actually feels that Fox News is really that terrible? It's like everything else out there. If you feel like your point is being given some emphasis of not being all that bad (liberal of conservative) then you immediately find value in it. I'm a conserative and I don't really care for news channels anymore like this, but I don't think they are all that bad honestly. I personally can't stand to watch the left leaning MSNBC, read liberal blogs, etc. because they give legitmicay to something I personlly don't believe in or care for. Nobody really goes to these channels or websites to have their opinions challenged, and come out of it saying, "Maybe I was wrong with my opinion on that." So what's the point? They attract republicans / conseratives. Whoopdidoo. They just keep winning the news ratings race with their formula, and that's all that matters in the end.

As long as you're making money, anything goes!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
HocusPocus said:

I can't tell. Are you joking?

Gaborn

Although it certainly fits the impression you get of their coverage, I'm leery generally of trusting anonymous ex-employees who may have an ax to grind.

beat

Cloudy said:
We needed an insider for this? lol
Consider the last couple of paragraphs of the story, where the insider was floored that legitimate criticism of Fox News as not really news gathered all the actual news orgs to circle their wagons around FN.

minus_273

Banned
LQX said:
And of course an "insider" would not make shit up.

are you doubting an anonymous insider on a left wing site that confirms to the T everything every leftist thinks about fox news? whats the matter with you?

i get the feeling this article is fake and is just preaching to the choir

Articate

Banned
Treo360 said:
in other news, water is wet, and the sun isn't truly yellow from space.

But yeah, I thought we already knew this.

Yes it is. It is a yellow star by definition. Main sequence, Hertzsprung-Russell diagram. Yellow. It's just that from space, if you'd try to look at it, it'd be so bright that you couldn't make out a color, just white. But it is yellow.

Belfast

Gaborn said:
Although it certainly fits the impression you get of their coverage, I'm leery generally of trusting anonymous ex-employees who may have an ax to grind.

Never got that mentality. I mean, I can see where the skepticism comes from, but it seems like one of those instances where you were exposed to one case in which someone was trying to stir the pot and you'd never believe it again.

But I'm not sure that means that the employer should get any leeway for their actions, either, and in this case, it's really just confirming things you could surmise from watching 2-3 hours of Fox News on television.

"Well, he could have an axe to grind!" Maybe he deserves to.

Topher said:
I like the look on this guy. He says "I'm shocked", but his expression says otherwise. Like he knew it all along.
Fox News doesn't have any credibility. Making stuff up wasn't far from the truth after all.

HocusPocus said:

Me. Odd thing is, the early parts of that piece reflect what I saw in the channel; for the first 3 years or so, it was exactly what it proclaimed itself as: right-leaning news. Then the Fair and Balanced kicked in, the rah-rah-rah talk, the fixations on imaginary gaffes of liberals and fixations on bullshit spin for conservative gaffes, and I stopped watching in disgust.

William F. Buckley Jr. must be spinning in his grave. Hook up turbines to him for free green energy!

Jonm1010

Banned
minus_273 said:
are you doubting an anonymous insider on a left wing site that confirms to the T everything every leftist thinks about fox news? whats the matter with you?

Even if it was, one only needs to spend 30 minutes watching foxnews to see that what is written about foxnews in that article represents exactly what is seen on the network

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Who was it again that said that MSNBC is EXACTLY like Fox News, minus the lying?

I used to greatly enjoy Fox News. But as Bush's term started coming to an end, they got more and more rough and right-leaning.

by 2006, they were hard to watch for me. by 2007, I had to stop. It was too ridiculous. It's only gotten worse since then.

Gaborn

Belfast said:
Never got that mentality. I mean, I can see where the skepticism comes from, but it seems like one of those instances where you were exposed to one case in which someone was trying to stir the pot and you'd never believe it again.

But I'm not sure that means that the employer should get any leeway for their actions, either, and in this case, it's really just confirming things you could surmise from watching 2-3 hours of Fox News on television.

"Well, he could have an axe to grind!" Maybe he deserves to.

Sure, and I'm not saying anything they said is untrue. All I'm suggesting is that the fact it's from an unnamed anonymous source no longer employed by Fox makes me question how much of it is accurate, and how much of it is exaggerated to make their ex-boss look worse.

Part of what bothers me I guess is the preaching to the choir aspect of this story. If I was an ex-employee of Fox and I wanted to blow the whistle I'd go to a directly competing news organization like CNN, the ex-employee chose Media Matters, a site essentially dedicated to partisan reporting (that is, reporting on the worst of right, not the left at all). Even if the employee is total being honest in their claims, the fact they chose a partisan source to release the information to brings their motives more into question.

Again, I'm not questioning the accuracy of the report, I think it fits in with a lot of what we SEE of their reporting, but I do think the possibility exists they overstated some of their claims.

This shit's coming to Canada soon.

8Na3u.jpg

How's it going to be just like FOX News?

- It's being led by the former communications director of our current Prime Minister, a Conservative

- The government just passed a law last week greatly reducing the requirement for news stories on TV to be true (surprise, surprise...)

- It's run by a chain of right-wing newspapers that pander to the uneducated and uninformed

- It's going to be "unapologetically patriotic"

So ya, the exact same channel.

leroidys

HocusPocus said:

Let's try this again.

A staffer at said news station has revealed that their main perogative is to make stuff up that is damaging to the other team rather than report the news, and you don't see a problem with this? This is different than political slant. This is photoshopping opponents faces to make them uglier, implying that a christian man is a muslim, a citizen is not a citizen, certain non-profits are communist plants, etc. This is fine now? It doesn't have anything to do with your politics, it is flat out reporting LIES and calling it NEWS.

minus_273 said:

minus_273
This is what Objectivism
does to people

(Today, 04:29 PM)
Reply | Quote

How about looking at objective reality . . .

Government statistics show that rape has been going down.
http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/glance/tables/viortrdtab.cfm

But when Fox News wants to do a 'those crazy video games are bad' story, they do this:
Carole Lieberman, a psychiatrist and book author, told FoxNews.com that sexual situations and acts in video games -- highlighted so well in Bulletstorm -- have led to real-world sexual violence.
“The increase in rapes can be attributed in large part to the playing out of [sexual] scenes in video games,” she said.
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/02/08/bulletstorm-worst-game-kids/

That's not news . . . news would require fact-checking. They are not interested in the facts. They are interested in spin. Go ahead and call the article a fake if you want . . . but you can't dispute the reality I just pointed out. And happens again and again, and again and again, etc. on Fox.

lunarworks said:
This shit's coming to Canada soon.

8Na3u.jpg

How's it going to be just like FOX News?

- It's being led by the former communications director of our current Prime Minister, a Conservative

- The government just passed a law last week greatly reducing the requirement for news stories on TV to be true (surprise, surprise...)

- It's run by a chain of right-wing newspapers that pander to the uneducated and uninformed

- It's going to be "unapologetically patriotic"

So ya, the exact same channel.

HARD
STRAIGHT

THROBBING

Dead Man

Unsurprised. Nice to see it in writing though.

Edit: So why do news organisation in the US get away with this? Is there no truth in news laws?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom