• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FPS running on GZDoom, taking inspiration from F.E.A.R. and DOOM - Introducing "Selaco"

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
How of the original id tech 1 is still present in GZDOOM? Because this looks quite impressive for a DOOM mod.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Selaco is a brand new original shooter running on GZDoom, featuring thrilling action set pieces, destructibility, smart AI and a fleshed out story taking place within an immersive game world.

Throughout the video you might have noticed that there is a very slight camera tilt present on the screen. We get that this might seem a little weird in a video like this, especially without seeing proper context of what happened before it. The idea was to make the earthquakes feel more 'real' by adding a slight screen tilt to the screen (also known as a Dutch Angle), giving the illusion that the facility was actually crumbling down on top of you combined with some changes to how physics react to the game world.

We should have disabled this effect before recording to video to make it seem less confusing / weird. Rest assured, only a small portion of the campaign is like this and options have been added to disable the effect entirely if you please.

Thanks for watching our video and we are looking forward to sharing more soon!

- Altered Orbit Studios

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
holy shit, they squeezed out everything from that engine

Scotty W

Banned
How of the original id tech 1 is still present in GZDOOM? Because this looks quite impressive for a DOOM mod.
I don’t know much about tech, but I have played Doom for many years.

My impression of gzdoom is that the tech is basically the same. I think gzdoom is a limit-removing port which removes certain limits like size and object number constraints. The reason it looks so much better seems to be certain lighting effects and support for hi-res textures.

I don’t think it can do room over room, but there are certain tricks in the base Doom engine which kind of allows this.

But as I said, I am very ignorant about this stuff, so if Graph Zall sees this please forgive me.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Contents Of This Video

00:00 What Is Selaco?
01:44 Graphics & Atmosphere
03:28 Secrets $ Easter Eggs
05:06 Gameplay
06:21 Movement
07:53 Weapons
12:13 Enemies
14:02 New Difficulty Modes?
15:52 Conclusion

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Selaco will remain in Early Access until all 3 chapters are finished and we feel satisfied with the overal quality of the game. We anticipate that each chapter will take between 12 to 18 months to finish. In-between the release of these chapters, we plan to actively update the Early Access build with additional polish, game modes, and bug fixes.

By our estimates, we expect to leave Early Access in late 2026.
Just as the retro FPS trend started to wane, they entered the early access phase, and the game isn't expected to be completed until 2026. They seem to be a bit late.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
It's my FPS game of the year.

It's Half-Life + FEAR + Doom 3 in a sweet condensed package with 2 free expansions coming down the line at a steal of a price at $25 and only takes up 1.13 GB of space with day 1 open mod support.

Makes all those $70 AAA shooters look mediocre in comparison. And the game just oozes Atmosphere.

Unlike most Early Access games you get essentially a full game and when it leaves Early Access is when they will release Chapter 2(first expansion).

Not only that you have 7 difficulty modes alongside mutators that will change how the game plays in different ways for additional challenge. And soon they will add a Randomizer mutator that will change enemy and item placement across each map.

I've been craving a FPS adventure game and damn is it good.

All maps become interconnected as you progress through the game's train/tram system so if you missed any secrets as you play you can always go back for them. This game is fantastic.

The amount of quality, engagement and soul this game has is unbelievable.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Lottas stuff to catch up anyway. Have you played Wrath yet?
Nope, how has that one turned out?

I still have to play the DLCs for both Amid Evil and Ion Fury, so yeah... lots of catching up indeed. :goog_relieved:

simpatico

Ok. This is living up to the hype. Already seeing evolution from the demo (that I played too many times). I hope someone makes an OT.

The boomer shooter evolution is exciting. This is really next level. See all that content on the main menu is a blast from the past too.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Selaco is NOW available on Steam!

Selaco was a miracle for the refugees of Earth. A beacon of hope in their darkest hour. Dawn lost everything when Earth fell and dedicated her life to protecting her new home. Hope burned bright, but something lurked in the shadows.

The Early Access contains:
- 31 open levels (excluding Secret Level)
- 11 fully upgradable weapons
- 14 challenging
- Full open-source modding support

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

For those playing, how's the optimization? I remember the demo being way more demanding than what I would expect from a GZDOOM powered game.

Buggy Loop

For those playing, how's the optimization? I remember the demo being way more demanding than what I would expect from a GZDOOM powered game.

It got a huge performance boost from the demo I found.

Explosions and particles can still tank performances on a steam deck at high settings but as the video shows down, can also be locked 60. My little time spent so far on desktop is capped at my gsync framerate monitor of 120fps. If it ever dropped I probably didn't notice it from the huge splashes of gore and shit flying everywhere.

Buggy Loop

BTW, you get 24% off if you buy the bundle with Mullet madjack

Don't sleep on it, 98%

8NYjB9W.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm so happy it finally came out. It's been on my radar for years. I don't have time to check it out in any real way so i'll wait to play it for the future, but I'm glad it's finally here. Love the boomer shooter/immsim-lite elements blending together.

Congrats to the team. I look forward to picking it up in the future.

simpatico

7800x3D and GTX1080

Playing 1080p with all the heavy experimental features turned on (muzzle flash shadows, flashlight shadows, extra volumetric fog) and it's stapled to the 165hz refresh rate of my monitor.

simpatico

That's a good way to describe Trepang 2. It's more crude, less refined and the levels are designed with less finess than Fear 1. It's really "we have Fear at home".
It's also made by 3 dudes on a shoestring budget. Games like that, Dusk, Amid Evil and Selaco give me a ton of hope. Once AI game dev tools are common place, how much more are these guys going to be able to give us? We really don't need publishers for much longer.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

It's also made by 3 dudes on a shoestring budget. Games like that, Dusk, Amid Evil and Selaco give me a ton of hope. Once AI game dev tools are common place, how much more are these guys going to be able to give us? We really don't need publishers for much longer.
Another one that impressed me was HROT, one czech dude made the game and engine from scratch

Denton

Very dumb to release this with early access label if it has full campaign and high level of polish. Will just needlessly antagonize people who do not like EA and do not bother find out what is in it.

Top Bottom