• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#FreeStelllarBlade petition demanding game's original clothing hits over 50k signatures

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
If you don't mind the added input delay then sure but I personally don't think it's worth it for a tiny bit of some thigh or booba you can just get on a different costume anyway. It's your own call though.

The day 1 patch adds options to disable the thick film grain and CA, both of which are generally effects which degrade the IQ.

So it's the toss-up of either playing a cleaner looking game, or maybe some unaltered costumes (of which there are dozens in the game so you'll be cycling through them anyway).

Its impressive to lack self awareness to that extent.
I listened to this grummz guy on a podcast. I think he said something about a "Full win" or something like that. He has been at the center of the anti-woke DEI and of course this petition/movement or whatever. that's his agenda, at the same time, the "angle " against censorship is being used as a vehicle to "send a message" to the other side....that's the actual goal.

Toons

I listened to this grummz guy on a podcast. I think he said something about a "Full win" or something like that. He has been at the center of the anti-woke DEI and of course this petition/movement or whatever. that's his agenda, at the same time, the "angle " against censorship is being used as a vehicle to "send a message" to the other side....that's the actual goal.

Uve never heard of this guy another blessing of not being on Twitter. But any time you have someone like that at the forefront if should out up alarm flags.

I doubt he even thinks this "petition" is going to do anything but if it does you'll never hear the end of it.

But if we're at the point where this game is "woke" then there's no room left to go lmfao.

Im interested to see how he maneuvers the games success and reception, because there's always a spin in the end to try snd spin things in his favor.

Madflavor

I've noticed Shrift Up has been pretty silent since launch. I'm wondering if the whole situation spooked them. This is their first rodeo into console gaming, and the game has gotten great reception and has likely done well sales wise. It's unusual for any dev in their position to be this quiet.

I'm still thinking we'll hear something from them before the week's end.

ToneyJ

I've noticed Shrift Up has been pretty silent since launch. I'm wondering if the whole situation spooked them. This is their first rodeo into console gaming, and the game has gotten great reception and has likely done well sales wise. It's unusual for any dev in their position to be this quiet.

I'm still thinking we'll hear something from them before the week's end.
Yeah i feel bad for them being dragged into this bullshit. Should have been a time to celebrate.

Last edited:
Uve never heard of this guy another blessing of not being on Twitter. But any time you have someone like that at the forefront if should out up alarm flags.

I doubt he even thinks this "petition" is going to do anything but if it does you'll never hear the end of it.

But if we're at the point where this game is "woke" then there's no room left to go lmfao.

Im interested to see how he maneuvers the games success and reception, because there's always a spin in the end to try snd spin things in his favor.
he wants the game to succeed. in fact, he says that the target is Sony. especially Sony NA..

This petition needs 100,000 to begin able to print it and send it physically to Sony...or something like that.

he also said that to Korean/Japan they need to send actual letters because those carry more weight.

and he has this fucking 8 step plan or whatever

The director of the game follows him....

Now...because this is not censorship, the chance for success is extremely high. the devs can simply make an statement and make it an option in the game to access those outfits/gore.

and you are right. this is going ot be the victory of the century agianst woke. And all those YT channels (which are basically 99% anti DEI/Woke) are going to push it hard.

I guess the studio should make and statement in the next 2-3 weeks. we shall see

Crayon

Yeah i feel bad for them being dragged into this bullshit. Should have been a time to celebrate.

And it could have. :.(

I blame influencers for running with the ball. I think they could have got just as many clicks covering this as a laughable attempt at censorship.

Yet, when they were all championing the game, I was all for it. How fucking stupid I was. Oh look, the reactionary gameosphere has made Eve their mascot! Great! I just want more publicity for the game I like derp derp derp. What could possibly go wrong.

So actually, may be they don't have as much of the blame as I thought. Next time I'm going to be more wary of these guys.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
And it could have. :.(

I blame influencers for running with the ball. I think they could have got just as many clicks covering this as a laughable attempt at censorship.

Yet, when they were all championing the game, I was all for it. How fucking stupid I was. Oh look, the reactionary gameosphere has made Eve their mascot! Great! I just want more publicity for the game I like derp derp derp. What could possibly go wrong.

So actually, may be they don't have as much of the blame as I thought. Next time I'm going to be more wary of these guys.

I think it is best to remember that folks like Grummz aren't the figure head or voice for the majority of folks who are just kindly asking for a toggle/return of the original versions of the costumes. The vast majority of folks are asking respectfully and still enjoying the game.

Last edited:

Madflavor

he wants the game to succeed. in fact, he says that the target is Sony. especially Sony NA..

This petition needs 100,000 to begin able to print it and send it physically to Sony...or something like that.

Personally I don't think it's reaching 100k. The number of signatures has begun to slow down.

Now...because this is not censorship, the chance for success is extremely high. the devs can simply make an statement and make it an option in the game to access those outfits/gore.

I guess the studio should make and statement in the next 2-3 weeks. we shall see

I think if Shrift Up were the ones that 100% made the decision to change the outfits, then yeah it's likely they'll rollback on the changes or provide a toggle to switch between versions. But that's a big IF, because I'm still leaning way more toward this being a decision made by Sony. We like won't get full confirmation.

Crayon

I think it is best to remember that folks like Grummz aren't the figure head or voice for the majority of folks who are just kindly asking for a toggle/return of the original versions of the costumes. The vast majority of folks are asking respectfully and still enjoying the game.

If it's the vast majority, I can't hear them. They could be massively drowned out. That happens all the time.

I have my doubts that it's the vast majority, though. Or at least, the vast majority of the energy being put into this. I'm not even sure who grummz is, but I've got a 100 thumbnails on my feed that are making more of it than just some costume options they wanted.

In fact, one of the steady refrains is that it's not about the changes themselves but that they were made at all.

I understand what you're saying and again, it might be true. But I've seen that same reasoning used as a smoke screen. Particularly by the woke army. It could be a motte and bailey rhetorical strategy at work. Hard to pick out, since the actual phenomenon of the loud majority is all over the place.

Last edited:

Three

I think if Shrift Up were the ones that 100% made the decision to change the outfits, then yeah it's likely they'll rollback on the changes or provide a toggle to switch between versions. But that's a big IF, because I'm still leaning way more toward this being a decision made by Sony. We like won't get full confirmation.
Second time you typed it so just to point out the studio's name is Shift Up not Shrift Up.

Personally I don't think it's reaching 100k. The number of signatures has begun to slow down.
yep.
well, the studio has a history of these kind of controversies and Sony was not involved.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
If it's the vast majority, I can't hear them. They could be massively drowned out. That happens all the time.

I have my doubts that it's the vast majority, though. Or at least, the vast majority of the energy being put into this. I'm not even sure who grummz is, but I've got a 100 thumbnails on my feed that are making more of it than just some costume options they wanted.

In fact, one of the steady refrains is that it's not about the changes themselves but that they were made at all.

I understand what you're saying and again, it might be true. But I've seen that same reasoning used as a smoke screen. Particularly by the woke army. It could be a motte and bailey rhetorical strategy at work. Hard to pick out, since the actual phenomenon of the loud majority is all over the place.
That is fair, most of us are absolutely being drowned out. Take a look in this thread alone and the other and you will see the majority of folks who are kindly requesting a toggle and are a bit annoyed by the false promise. However, people get immediately shut down and insulted, called incels, losers, pathetic, etc - usually by the same folks who constantly bring up Grummz and attribute him to the entire group.

There is a reason why folks like Pejo have bowed out of the thread a while back, because they were immediately insulted and demeaned by those who refuse to actually engage in honest discussion. The self-same folks who claim "no one should care", but show they are the ones who care the most. Just in the opposite direction.

Madflavor

Second time you typed it so just to point out the studio's name is Shift Up not Shrift Up.

My keyboard is drunk.

well, the studio has a history of these kind of controversies and Sony was not involved.

Sure but Sony have their own history of pulling this crap. I'm thinking it was Sony, but I'm hoping I'm wrong and that it was Shift Up so it'll increase the chances of change being made.

Toons

he also said that to Korean/Japan they need to send actual letters because those carry more weight.

and he has this fucking 8 step plan or whatever

The director of the game follows him....

and you are right. this is going ot be the victory of the century agianst woke. And all those YT channels (which are basically 99% anti DEI/Woke) are going to push it hard.

If this whole anti woke thing has gone so far as to be attacking this game of all things then there's no where else to even go.

I think he's trying to set a precedent snd again, that's a misunderstanding of how the east views all of this ideological stuff. They have an entirely different set of ethics and values and don't give a rats ass about western sentiments in general.

I for one am hoping the studio ignores this crap like the big guys other there like Nintendo tend to do. Its all noise and goes away when the next hot topic comes along.

xiskza

Its really disgusting that Sony is caving into the demands of woke activists and ESG scores to censor freaking costumes they deem inapporpriate. The west really is pitiful these days

Sure but Sony have their own history of pulling this crap. I'm thinking it was Sony, but I'm hoping I'm wrong and that it was Shift Up so it'll increase the chances of change being made.
This is why this conversation is so baffeling.

Sony has a history of pushing boundaries in the gaming industy. at the same time, they are a business and sometimes goes beyond Sony's power.

usaNTix.jpeg

H1TcW1c.jpeg

Q24wmxR.jpeg

g0KdsJp.jpeg

etcetera.

Now. could be some "wokie" on the payroll in a position of power? sure. but Playstation's culture has always been driven by pushing the medium forward. The very existence of Stellar Blade as a PS exclusive and how Sony market the hell out of this game is a testament of this.

Crayon

That is fair, most of us are absolutely being drowned out. Take a look in this thread alone and the other and you will see the majority of folks who are kindly requesting a toggle and are a bit annoyed by the false promise. However, people get immediately shut down and insulted, called incels, losers, pathetic, etc - usually by the same folks who constantly bring up Grummz and attribute him to the entire group.

There is a reason why folks like Pejo have bowed out of the thread a while back, because they were immediately insulted and demeaned by those who refuse to actually engage in honest discussion. The self-same folks who claim "no one should care", but show they are the ones who care the most. Just in the opposite direction.

I have to ask if you want the costumes back completely for their own sake or because you think it's wrong for them to have been changed? I don't think there can be a significant portion of people who only want the two costumes because they liked them better the old way. For most, there must be some ethical aspect. Something to do with the principal of the thing. I think most posts I'm reading here are saying that. And I think all these youtubers are saying that.

Three

Sony has a history of pushing boundaries in the gaming industy. at the same time, they are a business and sometimes goes beyond Sony's power.

usaNTix.jpeg

H1TcW1c.jpeg

Q24wmxR.jpeg

g0KdsJp.jpeg

etcetera.

Now. could be some "wokie" on the payroll in a position of power? sure. but Playstation's culture has always been driven by pushing the medium forward. The very existence of Stellar Blade as a PS exclusive and how Sony market the hell out of this game is a testament of this.

Honestly this "western"/Sony thing is way overblown. People kept trying to blame HQ in California for some stuff in DMC5 too. Then bizarrely that was patched in the US but not some other regions because it's likely some region specific thing in a country they made it available in just meant it wasn't possible. The friction clearly wasn't coming from California though. Then they say it like the west sucks vs the east in terms of artistic freedom too. More games are censored in Japan than they are in the west. BG3 had sections of the actual game cut out, also had gore removed and had nudity removed. Same with Shift Ups previous game Destiny Child. Absolutely no backlash about censorship in the east, complete silence there. This whole thing is about culture wars where a group of people always seem to think decisions are being made by some woke purple hair who's ideology they don't like, the boogeyman. It has little to do with actually fighting censorship in games which is far more prevalent in other parts of the world.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I have to ask if you want the costumes back completely for their own sake or because you think it's wrong for them to have been changed?
You can read my posts previously where I explained my views more in depth. I feel the costumes looked better and I don’t believe this was “artistic decision” but more likely a mandate pushed by Sony given their history since 2016.

I don't think there can be a significant portion of people who only want the two costumes because they liked them better the old way.
For most, there must be some ethical aspect. Something to do with the principal of the thing. I think most posts I'm reading here are saying that. And I think all these youtubers are saying that.
For some it may only be based on the principle of anti-censorship. For others, such as myself, it is for both principle and preference of design. There are folks who only want them back because they prefer them, as stated by a few in the thread.

The important point is to not make generalizations and immediately insult/dismiss people because of some rage baiting YouTuber or social media grifter. Not saying you are doing this, just a general statement on the ongoing “discussion” a handful of folks in this thread continue to do alongside gaslighting and strawman argumentation.

Last edited:

Madflavor

etcetera.

I know Sony has pushed boundaries in the past, but that doesn't erase all the times they've censored games. Here's an extensive list of all the game's they've censored over the years:

Stellar Blade existing on the PS5 is practically an anomaly, and I'm grateful that Sony picked it up. They showed off their game to Sony and they loved the look of the gameplay enough to invest in it. But that doesn't mean they were probably cool with the hyper sexualization going on, and in likelihood, found some of the outfits to be too much.

This is beyond cringe and not really woke like some are saying, however I hope if this was at Sony’s direction, that Sony doesn’t constantly influence and force creators to change their vision for their games.

it's likely some region specific thing in a country they made it available in just meant it wasn't possible
exactly
This whole thing is about culture wars
yep. that's what I have been saying
actually fighting censorship in games which is far more prevalent in other parts of the world.
yep.

The bright side is that one, the game is actually great. second, it seems it's going to be a comercial success and most importantly the significance of being a Korean game having the full support of Sony, this is actually amazing for reasons the very same director stated in one of the making of videos.

I know Sony has pushed boundaries in the past, but that doesn't erase all the times they've censored games. Here's an extensive list of all the game's they've censored over the years:

found some of the outfits to be too much.
which is absurd

Three

Stellar Blade existing on the PS5 is practically an anomaly, and I'm grateful that Sony picked it up. They showed off their game to Sony and they loved the look of the gameplay enough to invest in it. But that doesn't mean they were probably cool with the hyper sexualization going on, and in likelihood, found some of the outfits to be too much.
That list is absolutely dumb though:

The Last of Us Remastered (PS4) - Dismemberment is removed from multiplayer (Europe), gore toned down and cutscene camera angle changed (Japan)

Region: EU, JP
Uncensored Alternative: NA

South Park: The Stick of Truth (PS4) - Entire scenes blocked out, described instead of shown

Region: EU, AU
Uncensored Alternative: NA (all platforms)

Clearly this isn't a Sony decision and is related to regional ratings/laws (likely Germany and Australia)

Last edited:

Moonjt9

I don’t think this is censorship. I mean there are a ton of sexy outfits and more revealing things in the game. I’m very much inclined to believe the dev made changes(or finished incomplete work) as a design choice as he said, and people are freaking out for no reason.

Three

The Playstation brand is fully Westernized now and has been for a while after the move to California back in 2016. So it's no surprise that SIE is heavily geared towards the "global standards" of homogenization these days.

"Instead of allowing Japanese published games to use the Cero rating system all games must adhere to ESRB"

Logically what is whoever typed that out trying to say? it doesn't make any logical sense.

All games must adhere to CERO in japan and ESRB in North America.
ESRB doesn't prohibit anything that CERO allows so even if they "adhere to ESRB" it means nothing is prohibited compared to CERO. CERO has complete blocks on certain types of content. As far as I know ESRB doesn't and has a more lenient AO rating that can depict gore, nudity, torture, etc.

Last edited:

Toons

Honestly this "western"/Sony thing is way overblown. People kept trying to blame HQ in California for some stuff in DMC5 too. Then bizarrely that was patched in the US but not some other regions because it's likely some region specific thing in a country they made it available in just meant it wasn't possible. The friction clearly wasn't coming from California though. Then they say it like the west sucks vs the east in terms of artistic freedom too. More games are censored in Japan than they are in the west. BG3 had sections of the actual game cut out, also had gore removed and had nudity removed. Same with Shift Ups previous game Destiny Child. Absolutely no backlash about censorship in the east, complete silence there. This whole thing is about culture wars where a group of people always seem to think decisions are being made by some woke purple hair who's ideology they don't like, the boogeyman. It has little to do with actually fighting censorship in games which is far more prevalent in other parts of the world.

Yep.

And the thing is? Oftentimes the stuff that gets removed has nothing to do with ideology but cultural significance of a thing.

China for example has a long running practice of restricting films that show undead people, corpses reanimated or similar ghouls becayse of a cultural superstition surrounding its portrayal.

Korean lands often will censor or remove portrayals of samurai or the naming of characters after samurai, because there's still a significant cultural stigma following the atrocities Japanese samurai committed during ww2. To the point where even toys with the naming "samurai" will get renamed to "warrior" or something.

The "censorship" angle has been completely subverted and forced into an ideological perspective, when editing of content happens everywhere and it happens for a variety of reasons other than ideology. And it doesn't help that again, we have actual censorship going on presently and no ones even talking about that.

Madflavor

which is absurd

I mean I don't know why you're saying "But what about Xbox and Nintendo?" I have the same criticisms towards them.

That list is absolutely dumb though:

Clearly this isn't a Sony decision and is related to regional ratings/laws (likely Germany and Australia)

Pretty great list actually. Guy put a lot of work into it and it's very informative.

Three

Pretty great list actually. Guy put a lot of work into it and it's very informative.
It's a great list and I'm not faulting the guys great work in creating it. It's a great list of seeing censored games in general regardless of reason but it's a dumb list to look at for "all the games Sony has censored" because those are almost all regional rating board censors and not Sony censoring things.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
ESRB doesn't prohibit anything that CERO allows so even if they "adhere to ESRB" it means nothing is prohibited compared to CERO. CERO has complete blocks on certain types of content. As far as I know ESRB doesn't and has a more lenient AO rating that can depict gore, nudity, torture, etc.

ESRB has a pretty gnarly enforcement system where any infraction results in a fine to the publishers the severity of which increases sharply based on the cumulative number of total infractions across their portfolio within a certain time-frame.

Its why bigger publishers are exceptionally strict about compliance. They push out a lot of titles per year, so any fails (even something harmless like having something labelled as a wine bottle in a title that doesn't check the alcohol tick-box on the ESRB content-list) add to the annual strike-count meaning that the next error(s) could be extremely costly!

Its no joke, especially if you are working on a kids or family product its very easy to overlook something that exists only in a text localization database.

Three

ESRB has a pretty gnarly enforcement system where any infraction results in a fine to the publishers the severity of which increases sharply based on the cumulative number of total infractions across their portfolio within a certain time-frame.

Its why bigger publishers are exceptionally strict about compliance. They push out a lot of titles per year, so any fails (even something harmless like having something labelled as a wine bottle in a title that doesn't check the alcohol tick-box on the ESRB content-list) add to the annual strike-count meaning that the next error(s) could be extremely costly!

Its no joke, especially if you are working on a kids or family product its very easy to overlook something that exists only in a text localization database.
Yeah, the penalty is to stop them from misrepresenting their content as the ESRB doesn't sit down and play the games for themselves but relies on what the publisher tells them is in the game. If they are releasing in Japan it would never hit ESRB to ever result in a fine so 'adhering to it' doesn't make sense in that context other than maybe having to disclose additional information about what's in their game based on the ESRB standard. This doesn't affect them for CERO rating though so it doesn't change the content and they can't get fined for misrepresentation. If they want to release in North America then they need to go through the ESRB and represent their content correctly regardless though.

Top Bottom