• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FYI: Demon's Souls free on US PS+ starting tomorrow

Camjo-Z

All the bodies, dead horses and charred black spots on the bridge could have been a sign. A lot of the time there are visual cues to give you a hint of the dangers ahead. Not always of course, but pay attention to your environment, and the player messages/bloodstains and you will be a little more prepared.

I'm expected to figure out that some dead horses and black spots mean that the thing that appears to be sleeping far away and can't see me is suddenly going to come over and chase me down!? Welp.

And I wasn't connected to the internet until I looked online and realized that there are messages and such scattered around if you turn it on... that probably would have helped.

RobertM

I'm expected to figure out that some dead horses and black spots mean that the thing that appears to be sleeping far away and can't see me is suddenly going to come over and chase me down!? Welp.

And I wasn't connected to the internet until I looked online and realized that there are messages and such scattered around if you turn it on... that probably would have helped.
It doesn't chase you, it has a predetermined path and you can actually hear it coming, and so what if you didn't see it coming? You died, you've learned, those are the crucks of the game. Also, before you even get to the bridge, there is a path that leads you to a dragon who's sitting on a butt of a cliff with items scattered around. Honestly this is a rather tame thing to complain about anyways.

Ocaso

If you are a ragequitter, you may not get along with this game. But just keep in mind, whenever you die, it is because of your actions.

Yeah, this is BS. The game is riddled with traps and ambushes that are next to impossible to predict, particularly if you're offline. There are ways to avoid these if you know about them and it's not impossible to survive many of them on your first try, but there are cheap deaths littered with the fair ones as well.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Not enough people online or something. The isn't that fun doing everything single player for the 12th time ;_;

So fuck that dragon part. Made it to the end of the bridge ...killed by fucking archers because I had to take off my armor to run fast enough ugh.

IrishNinja

B5kvEhv.png

bwahahaha...the real demons souls begins here

Raoh

So fuck that dragon part. Made it to the end of the bridge ...killed by fucking archers because I had to take off my armor to run fast enough ugh.

even with heavy armor you can time it well. there are safe spots where as soon as the dragon passes by you can run and be at the other side by the time the dragon makes his next run,.

does this game have an equivalent to dark souls' ring of sacrifice?

on one hand i'm dying less because i have a near infinite supply of healing moons, but half health and no ring might make retrievals hard. in dark souls, death might've happened more often, but they were meaningless since you can stock up on rings so early in the game.

EasyMode

does this game have an equivalent to dark souls' ring of sacrifice?

on one hand i'm dying less because i have a near infinite supply of healing moons, but half health and no ring might make retrievals hard. in dark souls, death might've happened more often, but they were meaningless since you can stock up on rings so early in the game.

There's nothing that's equivalent to the ring of sacrifice, but there is a ring in the first level that
increases your max health to 75% in soul form.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Yeah, this is BS. The game is riddled with traps and ambushes that are next to impossible to predict, particularly if you're offline. There are ways to avoid these if you know about them and it's not impossible to survive many of them on your first try, but there are cheap deaths littered with the fair ones as well.

I don't think there are enough people paying attention to the visuals and the sounds, especially the sounds. I know a lot of people got mad when the game first came out with an arrow to the back, but looking down and ahead to see a trip plate kept me safe. A good surround sound system told me there was an enemy ahead in all but a few encounters.

Raoh

I don't think there are enough people paying attention to the visuals and the sounds, especially the sounds. I know a lot of people got mad when the game first came out with an arrow to the back, but looking down and ahead to see a trip plate kept me safe. A good surround sound system told me there was an enemy ahead in all but a few encounters.

This.

Reminds me of the complaints about socom 4 and cover. The cover system wasn't the problem, people running down open paths like it was a call of duty game was the problem. Infinite lives and small hand slaps on the wrist penalties in games has made people disinterested in anything remotely challenging.

thats not NG+

regular NG Demons Souls is easy outside a few fights :/

NG+ is brutal. Fuck the maneaters.

Also when I started NG+ I had over 300 000 souls
for doing the evil deed at the end
only to lose it all in my first two deaths. I gave up. Only came back to the game after a month or so.

So coming from Dark Souls I just found out that parrying is really damn easy in this game. I assumed it would be a lot harder to pull off like backstabs. This just made the game a lot easier. You can even parry the red eye knights.

Also, the regular kite shield is actually quite good. Great stability when upgraded.

So coming from Dark Souls I just found out that parrying is really damn easy in this game. I assumed it would be a lot harder to pull off like backstabs. This just made the game a lot easier. You can even parry the red eye knights.

Also, the regular kite shield is actually quite good. Great stability when upgraded.

Yup. People also don;t pick up on this but some of the regular looking weapons and shields, dare I say generic, are sometimes the best. For instance in Dark Souls the crest shield is hugely under rated. 100% block against physical, 80% against Magic and 77 stability when upgraded its a beast. Walk through dark bead users like its nothing.

RedSwirl

With the
dragon bridge thing, luckily the first time that happened to me I managed to dodge roll backwards just in time.

Defunkled

I've played through Dark Souls twice but have never even touched Demon's Souls. Can I apply some of the things I learned in Dark Souls to this game? Just downloaded it (thanks PS Plus).

I've played through Dark Souls twice but have never even touched Demon's Souls. Can I apply some of the things I learned in Dark Souls to this game? Just downloaded it (thanks PS Plus).

Yeah, but the combat is a bit more methodical in this game. If you attack a knight and he blocks, you're going to get staggered and he's going to fuck you up.

And there's no poise stat so it changes the flow of combat.

jns

You can, but be prepared for a few differences in mechanics which may or may not bother you depending on how you played Dark Souls. There's no jumping, no Estus and most importantly, spells can become effectively unlimited use. DeS handles everything with grass which you can grind and stock up on if you choose making the game much easier imo.

Still an absolutely brilliant game, and only just sits behind Dark Souls for me although I find most people who played DeS first prefer it.

My advice is not to break the game with any of the dupes or grind too much. As a Dark Souls player, you should be able to make it through the game without 'gaming' the system.

Guevara

After 100 hours of Dark Souls DeS was pretty easy for me, especially the first 1/3 or so. I beat it in ~20 hours (but still had a great time with it).

Mileena

Banned
I love to tell people to not beat themselves up when they lose 80k+ in 1:1 on NG plus. Because it can happen.

The jump in difficulty is so crazy that it makes you almost immune to regular NG runs. Not to say Old King and select black phantoms can't still be royal pains in the asshole.

I played Dark first so I found the difficulty in Demons to be a bit underwhelming. Being familiar with the combat and your Souls knowledge will bring you far in the first game.

i disagree on both accounts. maybe i'm just used to dark souls, but parrying is way easier in that game. it's more timing than reaction. in demons, it seems more reaction than timing. as for backstabs, dark had better targetting/lock-on. in demons you can run circles around everyone for free.

but both seem less satisfying in this game. simple pokes and whiff punishes feel much better in this. dark, you had to abuse rolls quite a bit. in this game, it seems more about just proper spacing.

Defunkled

Thanks for the replies! I just took down the Tower Knight. I'm finding that the patience and cautiousness I learned from Dark Souls is definitely helping me out here.

any recommendations on a good build for both pvp and the main game? I picked a royal but not sure if using magic will be too OP? I heard a knight with faith is good because you can heal? Any suggestions? I used a spear/shield and a bow and arrow/pyro build in dark souls and liked that a lot.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I've had this since Atlus dropped it in 2009 but this weekend I finally beat the maneaters in a legit fight. No summoning (I waited and nobody came) and the arrow trick doesn't really work anymore. I was pretty proud of myself. Thank Umbasa for that big cauldron, fire pit, whatever thing in the middle of the stage.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
The best game of this game for free? Sounds like a great deal!

Also agree with every post saying that DS is better than DkS. It's not even a contest.

Yep, the only thing DkS has on DS are the cool looking amours. The weapons is DS are FAAAAR superior to DkS, and to me weapons are more important than how cool your armour looks.

Stupid Euro PS+, somebody asked on euro blog whether they were planning on bringing it to PS+ since the US got it, and the guy said maybe...

Zertez

Hope this buys even more time for Demons Souls servers. As great as the single player game is, it is even better online with others.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
Dark souls is much easier for one big reason......bonfires. Its also less newbie friendly, the rewards are harder to get (pure white/black tendencies), and the black phantoms are a million times more difficult. Seriously the black phantoms in dark souls is the biggest disappointment for me. Oh yeah and the bosses were unique (dark souls used several bosses much simliar to demons souls and the same strategies could be employed making it easier for demons souls vet).

Yep, the black phantom of the pyro npc, the guy in sewage where giant mices are, Mildred in Blight Town etc were piss easy to kill. But the black phantoms in Demon's are really hard, especially that BP of the Satsuki guy in 4-1. Garl Vinland's sister was also hard because her weapon totally ignores the shield so you have to rely on evading but you can't even roll properly in the swamp even she can.

Top Bottom