• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FYI: Demon's Souls free on US PS+ starting tomorrow

patsu

Pure White will open up some paths usually blocked/broken (when the world tendency is other shades). You can get some special items by revisiting these paths.

Pure Black World Tendency will open up other paths too. There are some overlaps between PB and PW special items.

But yes, PBWT has more fearsome monsters and hence, more drops.

eXistor

How is this game superior to Dark Souls again? I liked Dark Souls (never beat it though), but I keep hearing that this is superior.

Depends who you ask. Personally I love Dark Souls a fair bit more than Demon's Souls, but it's mostly down to level-design. I absolutely adore Dark Souls' interconnected world and I vastly prefer it to the individual (but still gigantic) levels of Demon's Souls. Both are classics though.

patsu

Some NPCs appear as black phantoms in PBWT, and as human in PWWT. You can talk to them when they are in human form. They will attack you when they are in BP form.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
How is this game superior to Dark Souls again? I liked Dark Souls (never beat it though), but I keep hearing that this is superior.

-Magic is an MP system, not a charge/slot-based D&D like system. Made Mages worthwhile even if Magic is still "crazy broke" in Dark Souls, you didn't need to resort to melee or running past enemies as a mage-class mage.
-Dedicated Servers even if the back-stabs are still just as bullshit
-No poise system
-Left-handed characters can be made (IIRC no matter what you can't make left-handed characters in Dark Souls since the left-hand is used for wants and shields. Otherwise swords and the like is right handed/two-handed only), even if "left-handed" options aren't there and you do have a slight negative penalty using weapons in your left-hand.
-Only three forms for co-op/PvP: Human (host), soul form (co-op), soul form invader (PvP) not "Convents" that while a neat idea spread the base out too much and to where the Matchmaking system (which was horrible) faltered trying to find players in the same convent and stuff to PvP/Co-op with.

It's really small minor details but if you've played Demon's Souls you'd understand. Dark Souls isn't bad, but it isn't as good as Demon's Souls to me and a small vocal minority of people.

Chris R

But I already have Demon's Souls!

I guess the spike in people playing it will give me good reason to delve into it for more than the 45 mins I've played of it so far. It would be nice to finally beat a level and be able to level up at some point lol

Izuna

Banned
Luck is the resistance equivalent here. It's pretty much useless bar for one weapon (blueblood sword) that scales damage with your luck stat.

It might not intuitively make sense, but you don't need a shield at all for this part. You can run up and not get hit by any of the arrows as long as you don't stop, and then roll through an arrow while heading to the knight on the right, and then once he takes out his sword just stand your ground and deal with him with your preferred method.. parry/riposte, combustion, force, kick, etc. I always thought the room with the painting guardians on the rafters was more annoying than the archers.

The arrows weren't really a problem personally, I just dodged through them. It's just how horribly balanced the difficulty of this one part was. I don't think anything killed me after until I met the Hydra (optional). I just want to say it's like these areas are designed to kill the player at least once.

educator

So what is Microsoft going to do? If my estimates are correct, they'll cut 20% off the price from an already overpriced and old game that nobody wants.

I have a PS3 but mainly play on the 360, but SONY is doing everything just right pretty much all the time. Getting sick of Microsoft's bullshit!

-Magic is an MP system, not a charge/slot-based D&D like system. Made Mages worthwhile even if Magic is still "crazy broke" in Dark Souls, you didn't need to resort to melee or running past enemies as a mage-class mage.
-No poise system
-Left-handed characters can be made (IIRC no matter what you can't make left-handed characters in Dark Souls since the left-hand is used for wants and shields. Otherwise swords and the like is right handed/two-handed only), even if "left-handed" options aren't there and you do have a slight negative penalty using weapons in your left-hand.
-Only three forms for co-op/PvP: Human (host), soul form (co-op), soul form invader (PvP) not "Convents" that while a neat idea spread the base out too much and to where the Matchmaking system (which was horrible) faltered trying to find players in the same convent and stuff to PvP/Co-op with.

It's really small minor details but if you've played Demon's Souls you'd understand. Dark Souls isn't bad, but it isn't as good as Demon's Souls to me and a small vocal minority of people.

Small vocal minority? lol no.

Whoever says that Dark Souls is overall a better game than Demon's Souls is just plain wrong.

AlexBasch

A friend says Demon was actually hard and Dark is kiddy, dumbed down for Xbros bullshit.

Then again, he's got both Platinums for those, so while he may not be right, he has some grounds to talk about them, haha. I just started Dark a few days ago, but I might switch completely for Demon depending on how it feels once it's downloaded.

Since people are discussing World tendencies, for completion purposes, a Pure White Tendency event is preferable to Pure Black, because it's much harder to manually achieve Pure White than it is Pure Black. In fact, you can screw-up and make it impossible to achieve Pure White on a single playthrough, requiring you to continue into New Game + to attain Pure White. Pure Black can be achieved very easily using Stones of Ephemeral Eyes.

And add me to the Demon's > Dark camp. I Platinum'd both and loved both, but Demon's edges Dark for me. Suckiest thing in Demon's though is the carry weight limit. I was fucking pissed the first time I came across the Wood armor set, tried to pick it up, and was forced to leave it behind because it was too heavy to carry. I'd be fine with it if the loot didn't disappear while you left the world to lighten your load.

A friend says Demon was actually hard and Dark is kiddy, dumbed down for Xbros bullshit.

Then again, he's got both Platinums for those, so while he may not be right, he has some grounds to talk about them, haha. I just started Dark a few days ago, but I might switch completely for Demon depending on how it feels once it's downloaded.

Dark souls is much easier for one big reason......bonfires. Its also less newbie friendly, the rewards are harder to get (pure white/black tendencies), and the black phantoms are a million times more difficult. Seriously the black phantoms in dark souls is the biggest disappointment for me. Oh yeah and the bosses were unique (dark souls used several bosses much simliar to demons souls and the same strategies could be employed making it easier for demons souls vet).

AlexBasch

Dark souls is much easier for one big reason......bonfires. Its also less newbie friendly, the rewards are harder to get (pure white/black tendencies), and the black phantoms are a million times more difficult. Seriously the black phantoms in dark souls is the biggest disappointment for me. Oh yeah and the bosses were unique (dark souls used several bosses much simliar to demons souls and the same strategies could be employed making it easier for demons souls vet).
Oh shit, I can't help but feeling happy as fuck when I find a bonfire. This sounds like a bigger challenge just from that.

Already downloading, after that I'll put Dark on hold, this looks more interesting and difficult.

Boss Man

I have both platinums as well, and basically he's not lying but he is exaggerating a lot.

You should play Demon's first. A lot of Dark is lifted from it in a half-hearted way that does sort of an injustice to people who play both. Better to experience the creative, original thing first. Otherwise it won't feel the same.

People who talk like "X Souls shits all over Y Souls" are just exaggerating though. They're both great games.

Ostinatto

foul-bachelor-frog-meme-generator-complain-about-difficulty-in-games-don-t-play-demon-s-souls-ea308d.jpg
downloading now

-No poise system

-I don't think the poise system was necessarily a bad thing. Heavy armours like Brushwood were useless in DeS because the costs just outweighed the benefits.
-You couldn't make a left handed character. You couldn't block with a shield in your right hand. Left hand was primarily for wands and shields in DeS too and a weapon if you were dual-wielding.

I do prefer Demon's Souls too and I truth be told I never finished Dark Souls despite beating DeS at least half a dozen times and making a couple of character builds just for PVP. I gave up around the time I beat Lost Izalith and put off going back. then I got a new PS3 and never started again. It was very disappointing considering how great Demon's Souls endgame was. I hardly ever got summoned for co-op and only really played PVP by the forest or darkmoon covenant rings even though I bought the game at launch because that's when I thought it would be most active. But I could easily match up with someone in DeS a year or more after release.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
^ Poise is terrible :mad:

I hate all my low level charas. Guess I'll make a new one. Too bad low level blueblood isn't viable.

Robot Pants

I was thinking of replaying this lately. Now would be a great time I suppose since there will be a bunch of new players.

Luck is the resistance equivalent here. It's pretty much useless bar for one weapon (blueblood sword) that scales damage with your luck stat.
I remember my first DS playthrough I put so many points into Luck thinking "wooo! I'll get drops off EVERYTHING! \o/" :/

That reminds me though I did want to do a build for that sword.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I remember my first DS playthrough I put so many points into Luck thinking "wooo! I'll get drops off EVERYTHING! \o/" :/

That reminds me though I did want to do a build for that sword.

Favourite weapon in both games I think. Good idea.

kuroshiki

I have both platinums as well, and basically he's not lying but he is exaggerating a lot.

You should play Demon's first. A lot of Dark is lifted from it in a half-hearted way that does sort of an injustice to people who play both. Better to experience the creative, original thing first. Otherwise it won't feel the same.

People who talk like "X Souls shits all over Y Souls" are just exaggerating though. They're both great games.

Although though, Dark Souls doesn't really feel like an 'improvement' over Demons soul. I don't think DarkSoul touched 'another player invades another's' thrill as good as Demons' at all.

Subjective... they are both great. I think DeS is pretty consistent all the way through while Dark does come apart a bit at the end.

But DeS... there is just something so special about it. I can't describe it, walking around the world, the nexus... the NPC's, and mostly the sound effects. It feels very strange and alien in a way that Dark Souls just didn't capture. DeS feels very unique. Some things are better, some worse. For an example of worse, DeS carry limit... arrghhhh!

But if it is free on PSN+ now... I'm not a subscribed and have the disc version, but man I hope there is a big influx of players for it! Get some good summons going :D Damn, I'm gonna load it up right now!

Well, can't say I didn't try.

I can see why someone would like this game, but truthfully, it's not my kind of game. I don't really enjoy the dungeons and dragon type games. Same reason I couldn't get into Skyrim or Dragons Dogma.

Bye bye Demon Souls....

Exr

to anyone having trouble, get Mirdan Hammer in 2-1 then upgrade it in blessed. It's OP as fuck

Yeah this absolutely. Mirdan hammers moveset is so good and it smashes through guard pretty fast. Excellent weapon for PvE and PvP.

Replicant

Well, can't say I didn't try.

I can see why someone would like this game, but truthfully, it's not my kind of game. I don't really enjoy the dungeons and dragon type games. Same reason I couldn't get into Skyrim or Dragons Dogma.

Bye bye Demon Souls....

Ah shit. I'm similar to you in that regard. So should I even bother downloading this? It's pretty huge size (8GB IIRC). I already 'purchased' it but I'm not sure about downloading it now. I too don't like dungeons and dragons stuff, which is why I was never into Dragon Age but love Mass Effect series.

i-Lo

I loved playing dark over demons and I think it has to do with:

• Amount of souls that can be collected is greater in dark souls
  • The world overall is less depressing compared to demons souls (valley of defilement and 3-2, omg)

androvsky

Ah shit. I'm similar to you in that regard. So should I even bother downloading this? It's pretty huge size (8GB IIRC). I already 'purchased' it but I'm not sure about downloading it now. I too don't like dungeons and dragons stuff, which is why I was never into Dragon Age but love Mass Effect series.

Depends on what you don't like about dungeons and dragons games. If you can't stand Elf vs. Dwarf politics and tons of nerdy backstory, you'll still probably like Demon's Souls. If you just don't like plate armor and dirty castles, then maybe not so much.

Oh shit, I can't help but feeling happy as fuck when I find a bonfire. This sounds like a bigger challenge just from that.

Already downloading, after that I'll put Dark on hold, this looks more interesting and difficult.

Not only that but when in soul form (80% of the game) your HP is halved unless you use a ring where you only get 75% of your HP. However that uses one of your ring slots.

Oh and there are only a finite amount of shard archstones to turn you into human so don't waste them.

-I don't think the poise system was necessarily a bad thing. Heavy armours like Brushwood were useless in DeS because the costs just outweighed the benefits.
-You couldn't make a left handed character. You couldn't block with a shield in your right hand. Left hand was primarily for wands and shields in DeS too and a weapon if you were dual-wielding.

I do prefer Demon's Souls too and I truth be told I never finished Dark Souls despite beating DeS at least half a dozen times and making a couple of character builds just for PVP. I gave up around the time I beat Lost Izalith and put off going back. then I got a new PS3 and never started again. It was very disappointing considering how great Demon's Souls endgame was. I hardly ever got summoned for co-op and only really played PVP by the forest or darkmoon covenant rings even though I bought the game at launch because that's when I thought it would be most active. But I could easily match up with someone in DeS a year or more after release.

I think the poise system is unnecessary and greatly flawed. The advantage of heavy armour should be high defense. Theres so many exploits in the poise system its ridiculous.
I feel the same way about Dark souls endgame. It greatly looses momentum. I mean you have to take down the four lords so your getting all pumped but the areas and boss fights are soem of the worse in the game and pretty short. Being in the darkmoon is worse thing ever....the blue eye orb hardly works and you only get a meagre amount of souls. Just go to Oolacile township or undead burg and turn human. There should be invaders coming every now and then for pvp. The battle of stoicism is pathetic, havent got a single match there.

Does this game have summoning players online for killing bosses? That really broke all of the bosses in Dark Souls once I started doing it.

Vitacat

Hmm, this game is quite enjoyable so far. I like it.

Oddly, I played Dark Souls a few months ago for a couple of hours and... did not enjoy it. Maybe it was meant to be played by players who had already mastered Demon's Souls.

I say give it a shot. Try and get at least past the tutorial before placing judgement on it.

But yeah, if you are not a fan of games similar to Dragon's Dogma, Dragon Age or the Oblivion franchise, it might not be your cup of tea.

Top Bottom