• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catvoca

Banned
Gummy - Brockhampton
nother 🔥 video. cant wait saturation 2
tumblr_mit78840dI1rdulq4o3_500.gif

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Summary of A Waste of Time's Live Roc-A-Fella Celebration:

5:40 - Starts
6:00 - Biggs comes out, talks eaaaarly Roc Strategizing, "Best Out" parties, loading up picnic baskets full of cristal, AF1s unifying boroughs
18:15 - Biggs talks how Hip Hop got his name
13:50 - Biggs talks Jay Z/DMX battle, mentions Jay beating LL
15:45 - Biggs talks Hip Hop's legacy in Hip Hop
16:25 - Hip Hop comes out, talk about Jay throwing money into the audience as a concert ritual and Hip Hop knowing exactly where to stand in the audience to grab it lmao, how him and Biggs got into A&Ring
24:00 - Some talk about In My Lifetime (song), how Bad Boy, B.I.G. and Jay all came together before Reasonable Doubt came together, playing Monopoly with a quarter mill on the table with no album out
27:15 - Recording of Brooklyn's Finest
28:30 - Talk when/if they've seen Jay write
30:20 - Lenny S comes out
35:10 - When was the first time they saw anyone throw the Roc up?
35:50 - How Streets Is Watching came together, feeling the pressure from Bad Boy when things like Reasonable Doubt and Illmatic didn't sell well
39:50 - What early Roc-A-Fella offices were like, passing on signing Fab, how they got it popping
41:35 - "Ain't No _____"
44:20 - Lenny S recalls being Jay's fake DJ for several tours before getting just
46:55 - Signing Foxy Brown, Emile,
47:45 - Young Guru comes out, Guru being one of the only people engineers that Pro Tools at the time, how that and concentrating everyone into Bassline did wonders for their efficiency and label, talk living at Bassline and showering at hotels
55:50 - Why they chose to partnering with Def Jam over being signed by them
56:15 - Just Blaze comes out, how they found him: "We got a producer, and he can do beats like Swizz Beatz for $5000," his value as a producer that didn't need to sample at the time, they clown him for playing video games, Pro Tools' role in Amil's project, how his career took off
1:01:50 - Just talks "Keep It Real Wednesdays," Jay originally saying [unnamed producer] is doing the whole Blueprint 2 but all of the beats sucking, then Guru arguing with Jay about making Blueprint 2 a double album, basically how Blueprint 2 and Keep It Real Wednesdays came together to save the project. "A lot of your favourite producers got laughed out of the room, but then some people off the street got on the album immediately;" "That was like Fight Club for a lot of people;" "If they liked the beat, they cut a check" If you haven't heard about Keep It Real Wednesdays before, this bit is a must listen for some hip hop history
1:07:20 - Hip Hop talks how a legendary beat tape from Kanye changed the whole sound of The Blueprint, H to the Izzo being for Ghostface (Cam also got on it), Ain't No Love being for DMX, Takeover being for Beanie Sigel. Jay doing songs to every song on the tape on Friday and Saturday. Talk about several other major non-Jay joints on that tape too.
1:09:20 - "That was the beat tape where he never had to make beat tapes again," them calling Just next to get some soulful shit and Jay snatching songs intended for Prodigy (Prodigy being the first person to rap on U Don't Know, Busta too) and Ghostface/Wu
1:12:45 - Rappers' shifts at Baseline
1:16:20 - Freeway, Young Gunz & Jim Jones come out
1:17:55 - Just talks about how Oh Boy came together, Jim: "I don't think we were supposed to have that beat"
1:19:20 - "Bleek turned down a lot of heat, FYI:" An early Oh Boy, Whoa, Oochie Wallie, and more, they continue the story about Oh Boy. "Dame heard it and said we're shooting a video to it Friday"
1:22:00 - Dipset being at Cam's house in New Jersey after Cam recording Izzo and was about to put it out as a single, and them all watching the BET Awards and seeing Jay perform the song, Jim: "Ayo, we wanted to KILL Kanye!" (Basically A&Rs at Roc-A-Fella were shopping the same beats to different artists)
1:23:00 - Chaka comes out, talks directing a lot of the videos, developing a lot of the business behind Roc-A-Fella (FYI she is president of Roc Nation today), moving all of State Property into one house "It was just a bunch of beards and Muslim oils coming towards you"
1:28:50 - Chaka talks the family atmosphere
1:35:50 - Just/Freeway talk Philadelphia Freeway, State Property coming out of a failed Beans/Bleek album
1:39:45 - Just notes that Freeway's Flipside was supposed to be the first Jay/Bey records
1:43:00 - Impromptu performance of Can't Stop, Won't Stop by Young Gunz
1:45:50 - Jim talks how Dipset went from Epic to Roc-A-Fella, they talk how Come Home With Me came together, they argue about when Juelz got on Hey Ma, Hey Ma and Oh Boy changing their lives
1:56:20 - How Dipset and State Property came together, Cam telling Dipset to come with the bars every day when recording with them
1:58:50 - A story about Bigface by Chris & Neef, talks Biggs' role in Tough Luv
2:01:45 - Jim Jones getting $9k cheques a week from engineering, getting director of photography cheques #hustle
2:04:50 - Everyone's reactions to hearing Takeover, talk multiple versions, Nas hearing the incomplete version and responding before Jay added the Nas-specific verse. "It was more about Prodigy than it was Nas"
2:06:25 - "Who was at Summer Jam- who made that call to Michael Jackson?"
2:07:35 - [gratuitous pausing] I swear I don't get NY dudes
2:08:50 - Hip-Hop meeting Kanye West for the first time in '96, originally going there meeting with No I.D. who said he had nothing for Jay, but recommended Ye, none of Ye's beats sticking with Jay until This Can't Be Life
2:11:15 - "Did everyone on this stage have a moment where Ye went up to you, said 'I can rap,' and then rapped forever to you?"; how Ye brought songs to them, Hip-Hop and Biggs seeing Kanye's potential early
2:13:30 - "What does Dame not get enough credit for?;" "Dame would split a 2 million dollar overhead 8 ways [between his staff]"

So many great anecdotes.

codhand

6:00 - Biggs comes out, talks eaaaarly Roc Strategizing, "Best Out" parties, loading up picnic baskets full of cristal, AF1s unifying boroughs
16:25 - Hip Hop comes out, talk about Jay throwing money into the audience as a concert ritual and Hip Hop knowing exactly where to stand in the audience to grab it lmao, how him and Biggs got into A&Ring
24:00 - Some talk about In My Lifetime (song), how Bad Boy, B.I.G. and Jay all came together before Reasonable Doubt came together, playing Monopoly with a quarter mill on the table with no album out
35:50 - How Streets Is Watching came together, feeling the pressure from Bad Boy when things like Reasonable Doubt and Illmatic didn't sell well
39:50 - What early Roc-A-Fella offices were like, passing on signing Fab, how they got it popping
44:20 - Lenny S recalls being Jay's fake DJ for several tours before getting just
47:45 - Young Guru comes out, Guru being one of the only people engineers that Pro Tools at the time, how that and concentrating everyone into Bassline did wonders for their efficiency and label, talk living at Bassline and showering at hotels
56:15 - Just Blaze comes out, how they found him: "We got a producer, and he can do beats like Swizz Beatz for $5000," his value as a producer that didn't need to sample at the time, they clown him for playing video games, Pro Tools' role in Amil's project, how his career took off
1:01:50 - Just talks "Keep It Real Wednesdays," Jay originally saying [unnamed producer] is doing the whole Blueprint 2 but all of the beats sucking, then Guru arguing with Jay about making Blueprint 2 a double album, basically how Blueprint 2 and Keep It Real Wednesdays came together to save the project. "A lot of your favourite producers got laughed out of the room, but then some people off the street got on the album immediately;" "That was like Fight Club for a lot of people;" "If they liked the beat, they cut a check" If you haven't heard about Keep It Real Wednesdays before, this bit is a must listen for some hip hop history
1:07:20 - Hip Hop talks how a legendary beat tape from Kanye changed the whole sound of The Blueprint, H to the Izzo being for Ghostface (Cam also got on it), Ain't No Love being for DMX, Takeover being for Beanie Sigel. Jay doing songs to every song on the tape on Friday and Saturday. Talk about several other major non-Jay joints on that tape too.
1:09:20 - "That was the beat tape where he never had to make beat tapes again," them calling Just next to get some soulful shit and Jay snatching songs intended for Prodigy (Prodigy being the first person to rap on U Don't Know, Busta too) and Ghostface/Wu
1:17:55 - Just talks about how Oh Boy came together, Jim: "I don't think we were supposed to have that beat"
1:19:20 - "Bleek turned down a lot of heat, FYI:" An early Oh Boy, Whoa, Oochie Wallie, and more, they continue the story about Oh Boy. "Dame heard it and said we're shooting a video to it Friday"
1:22:00 - Dipset being at Cam's house in New Jersey after Cam recording Izzo and was about to put it out as a single, and them all watching the BET Awards and seeing Jay perform the song, Jim: "Ayo, we wanted to KILL Kanye!" (Basically A&Rs at Roc-A-Fella were shopping the same beats to different artists)
1:23:00 - Chaka comes out, talks directing a lot of the videos, developing a lot of the business behind Roc-A-Fella (FYI she is president of Roc Nation today), moving all of State Property into one house "It was just a bunch of beards and Muslim oils coming towards you"
1:35:50 - Just/Freeway talk Philadelphia Freeway, State Property coming out of a failed Beans/Bleek album
1:39:45 - Just notes that Freeway's Flipside was supposed to be the first Jay/Bey records
1:45:50 - Jim talks how Dipset went from Epic to Roc-A-Fella, they talk how Come Home With Me came together, they argue about when Juelz got on Hey Ma, Hey Ma and Oh Boy changing their lives
1:56:20 - How Dipset and State Property came together, Cam telling Dipset to come with the bars every day when recording with them
2:01:45 - Jim Jones getting $9k cheques a week from engineering, getting director of photography cheques #hustle
2:04:50 - Everyone's reactions to hearing Takeover, talk multiple versions, Nas hearing the incomplete version and responding before Jay added the Nas-specific verse. "It was more about Prodigy than it was Nas"
2:08:50 - Hip-Hop meeting Kanye West for the first time in '96, originally going there meeting with No I.D. who said he had nothing for Jay, but recommended Ye, none of Ye's beats sticking with Jay until This Can't Be Life
2:11:15 - "Did everyone on this stage have a moment where Ye went up to you, said 'I can rap,' and then rapped forever to you?"; how Ye brought songs to them, Hip-Hop and Biggs seeing Kanye's potential early
2:13:30 - "What does Dame not get enough credit for?;" "Dame would split a 2 million dollar overhead 8 ways [between his staff]"

So many great anecdotes.

tumblr_nwsym1rK6g1uic0joo3_400.gif

Yo GAF....this New Gaf Collab track is coming out DOPE....

I already got some instrumental ideas lined up for some more after this if reception is good.

Detox

DeNaun aka Mr. Porter is up on Rhythm Roulette. I really like him, I hope he knocks it out the park.

edit: He did his thing with just one song. He's Eminem's hype man (and Alchemist was his tour DJ). Don't ask me why Em raps over trash.

DGPAuGEVYAECP48.jpg:large

A Waste Of Time's Roc-A-Fella Celebration Podcast is out. Kareem “Biggs” Burke, Just Blaze, Lenny S, Kyambo “Hip Hop” Joshua, Chaka, Young Guru, Freeway, the Young Gunz and Jim Jones

Video coming later. Stoked to listen.
Bless up

Jay Sosa

since beezy is my new favorite rapper and signed with e40, I checked out the other dudes signed there.. and came across this dude (who I knew was murdered couple of years ago but somehow never bothered to listen to any of his stuff)

long story short, how in the world did I miss this back then..

https://youtu.be/LJPmhL_PM7E

https://youtu.be/rc_fM9MwHb4

https://youtu.be/xa9ySP-TJxQ

that production :D

oh, and I also learned that there's a bay area rapper named j.stalin :D

So many great anecdotes.

definitely going to listen after work, thanks

A_Dang

Looking for a little help here!

I've been trying to dig into and find the most "forward-thinking"/experimental hip-hop from the past year or so, I'm talking about stuff like Death Grips or artist that push further than that.

I'm coming from outside of the genre, and I am finding it really difficult to find. The more experimental the better, I'm not going to get thrown off by anything being tough to get into. I want to listen to the underground influencers of where hip-hop can go as a genre.

Thanks for any pointers of where to look or suggestions, I really appreciate it!

HiiiLife

Looking for a little help here!

I've been trying to dig into and find the most "forward-thinking"/experimental hip-hop from the past year or so, I'm talking about stuff like Death Grips or artist that push further than that.

I'm coming from outside of the genre, and I am finding it really difficult to find. The more experimental the better, I'm not going to get thrown off by anything being tough to get into. I want to listen to the underground influencers of where hip-hop can go as a genre.

Thanks for any pointers of where to look or suggestions, I really appreciate it!

Yeezus by Kanye.

Look up Shabazz Palaces projects.

The Cold Vein.

Some examples.

Edit. Also just saw you said the last year. Whoops.

Reckoner

I don't really care if Tyler is being real or not on Flower Boy. I've been loving the shit out of this project. Love the artistic vision he got here and the instrumentals are so smooth I can blast it all day.

A_Dang

Yeezus by Kanye.

Look up Shabazz Palaces projects.

The Cold Vein.

Some examples.

Edit. Also just saw you said the last year. Whoops.

I've already dug into Shabazz Palaces too, pretty good stuff, and I'll check out The Cold Vein.

Again: I'm largely ignorant when it comes to the genre, what makes Yeezus "experimental"? I've never listened to much Kanye, and I know it was a very influential album.

Edit: Some additional info: I've already dug into Death Grips and Shabazz Palaces. I also have brushed into The Rapper Viper (of the "You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack" fame, which I do find some real artistic value in) as an example of "Outsider Rap" or something, and I stumbled into A7PHA, which I've enjoyed but have no idea where they fit. These are some examples of what I (in my limited experience) consider fringe/genre pushing/experimental, and what I'd love to find more examples of.

I've already dug into Shabazz Palaces too, pretty good stuff, and I'll check out The Cold Vein.

Again: I'm largely ignorant when it comes to the genre, what makes Yeezus "experimental"? I've never listened to much Kanye, and I know it was a very influential album.
Yeezuz was not a very influential album. It was experimental compared to his past albums.

The production is more aggressive and electronic with Daft Punk assisting on a few tracks. Less traditional song structure (although the song writing isn't very good).Dont go in expecting Death Grips or something super Avant Garde. Overall though as an album, its like a 6/10.

Best song was Black Skinhead
https://youtu.be/q604eed4ad0

A_Dang

Yeezuz was not a very influential album. It was experimental compared to his past albums.

The production is more aggressive and electronic with Daft Punk assisting on a few tracks. Less traditional song structure (although the song writing isn't very good).Dont go in expecting Death Grips or something super Avant Garde. Overall though as an album, its like a 6/10.

Best song was Black Skinhead
https://youtu.be/q604eed4ad0

Thanks!

And yeah, the more Avant Garde the better for what I am looking for.

Dizzee Rascal and Kano are other artists from the UK grime/garage scene I'm familiar with that may open some more space to explore...

Dereck

Thanks!

And yeah, the more Avant Garde the better for what I am looking for.

Dizzee Rascal and Kano are other artists from the UK grime/garage scene I'm familiar with that may open some more space to explore...
Dalek, Saul Williams, Koreatown Oddity, Antipop Consortium

A_Dang

Dalek, Saul Williams, Koreatown Oddity, Antipop Consortium

Checking out The Koreatown Oddity right now, and really enjoying it. I've listened to some Dalek and will check out Saul Williams and Antipop Consortium.

Thanks for all these suggestions!

Icolin

Banned
Wow, what happened?

From Modbot:

Most of you should be aware of what happened last week. It is clear that there is a deep rift between what this community wants and what NeoGAF is. If the spamming of gifs is so important to you, feel free to do it elsewhere. We do not discourage members who want to continue to hang out with banned users on other platforms. Please do so and continue the tradition of this community there, because PopGAF is now officially closed. We cannot and will not harbor a community that feels closing redundant or derailed threads or discouraging gif spams to be some sort of anti-LGBT action. It's hurtful, insulting, and ridiculous.

whew

rip popgaf i hope gafhop is next
RIP, PopGAF. Everyone there was good folk.
Okay, but what specifically happened last week?
Last week, someone created a thread that used PopGAF jargon and gifs, causing the thread to become a dumpster fire of hate against PopGAF and their gif spamming. That led the mods to warning them to stop with the gif spamming, which is an essential part of that thread, and people didn't like that. More specifically, a couple members interpreted it as the moderation team being anti-LGBT because of how the gifs were a part of the way that LGBTQ members on the Internet "speak", and how GAF as a whole hates on PopGAF doing that thing even though people post the same set of gifs in certain threads e.g. banderas.gif etc. That, coupled with those insinuations, basically got it closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom