• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icolin

Banned
Is Travis coming out with another album this year?

He said Astroworld is coming soon. What soon means to him is a mystery.

Worth noting that Rodeo and Birds released in September, a year apart (September 4th 2015 and September 2nd 2016 respectively), so...

ASTROWORLD FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 1ST 2017 RELEASE DATE CONFIRMED

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.

Worth noting that Rodeo and Birds released in September, a year apart (September 4th 2015 and September 2nd 2016 respectively), so...

ASTROWORLD FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 1ST 2017 RELEASE DATE CONFIRMED
I really hope so. I still love that he re-did Day & Night with Cudi. That was so awesome.

Moonkid

Not expecting much from Astroworld or the Quavo collab. Expectations are low
so they'll be surpassed :')
Somewhere in between Mike Dean-soon and Culture album coming soon.

Eos

I'ma have to order it Rodeo > DBR > Owl/Birds
It's crazy how well DBR holds up, straight flames from beginning to end. Mamacita, Quintana pt.2, Skyfall, Don't Play, Drugs You Should Try, Basement Freestyle, Backyard, and Bacc. :wow:
Is Travis coming out with another album this year?

We need that Quavo collab tape

I remember y'all flamin me for hatin she will by Danny. I just can't stand any of these type a songs. Gettin dome or givin. A line or two is cool. But 5 minutes? Sike.

Sex rap can be very cringe if not done right. Ask Nas

As varied as this community's taste is, Pop-GAF was nice because people there enjoyed talking about folks like FKA Twigs, Bjork, Susanne Sundfor, Kelela and more. This community basically just recycles the same memes until they're deader than a horse at a glue factory with a hint of music discussion.

tumblr_inline_nkemq0wwqS1qfc7n4.gif

Dereck

So, I'm watching Kuso, Flying Lotus's movie, and during the movie there was a transition that had this flame ass beat, I looped it a little bit so you guys could check it out.

Wish he went back to beats like this in the future, probably won't though.

http://dopefile.pk/er6o4tasfb3r

HiResDes

Sex rap can be very cringe if not done right. Ask Nas

tumblr_inline_nkemq0wwqS1qfc7n4.gif
I definitely didn't see much discussion about those artists you just named, remember posting some shit and everyone responding who like I was back on KTT. Definitely a more entertaining thread in its prime than ours though

FZZ

Banned
I definitely didn't see much discussion about those artists you just named, remember posting some shit and everyone responding who like I was back on KTT. Definitely a more entertaining thread in its prime than ours though

what was GAF-Hop's prime anyways?

when PD was still here?

Nibel

This is a good thread, stop hating

This thread is the Drake of NeoGAF threads, gets shat on by everybody and yet everybody keeps checking
wowrwjxf.png
this is power you are playing with son
wowrwjxf.png
gaf-hop and pop-gaf are two sides of the same coin
wowrwjxf.png

Numb

This is a good thread, stop hating

This thread is the Drake of NeoGAF threads, gets shat on by everybody and yet everybody keeps checking
wowrwjxf.png
this is power you are playing with son
wowrwjxf.png
gaf-hop and pop-gaf are two sides of the same coin
wowrwjxf.png

It ain't easy reaching the professionals over at Kpop-Gaf tho tbh

Dereck

I need me a milli let's get it
I always say I need a milli
I probably won't stop 'til I cop me a milli
When I touch a milli, I cop me a bentley
So let me stack up cus my pockets look empty

tgmoag4.gif

Looked up in my pocket, one dollar in my wallet
Fuck saving money, bitch, I'm finna buy some chocolate
I'm the fucking shit bitch, i'm only being honest
Young Ugly God, I'm a mothafuckin' prophet
Young Pussy Bacon, drink water off the faucet
Booty Gang Captain fold your bitch like a omelette

tgmoag4.gif

That was the 90s era of this thread. The "Throw executives out of windows, mad rapper, 6XL white tees, sagging + oversized jeans, classic album every other week, diss tracks flying, we might actually murder you right now, lurkers scared to post" era. Back when the thread could pop off for like 5+ pages in 20 minutes at random. You never knew if you were going to walk into a great discussion, rams headbutting each other, or the forum equivalent of 12 straight sex skits on an album.

But there's nothing more pathetic than pining over the old days in GAF OTs. I've seen it happen many times over, and it doesn't really help improve things at all. Our prime is whenever we say it is, and we've outlasted all the other fuckery threads which has to count for something. Lose yourself in the moment. We can do anything we set our minds to, man. Mom's spaghetti he's nervous.

Summary of A Waste of Time's Live Roc-A-Fella Celebration:

5:40 - Starts
6:00 - Biggs comes out, talks eaaaarly Roc Strategizing, "Best Out" parties, loading up picnic baskets full of cristal, AF1s unifying boroughs
18:15 - Biggs talks how Hip Hop got his name
13:50 - Biggs talks Jay Z/DMX battle, mentions Jay beating LL
15:45 - Biggs talks Hip Hop's legacy in Hip Hop
16:25 - Hip Hop comes out, talk about Jay throwing money into the audience as a concert ritual and Hip Hop knowing exactly where to stand in the audience to grab it lmao, how him and Biggs got into A&Ring
24:00 - Some talk about In My Lifetime (song), how Bad Boy, B.I.G. and Jay all came together before Reasonable Doubt came together, playing Monopoly with a quarter mill on the table with no album out
27:15 - Recording of Brooklyn's Finest
28:30 - Talk when/if they've seen Jay write
30:20 - Lenny S comes out
35:10 - When was the first time they saw anyone throw the Roc up?
35:50 - How Streets Is Watching came together, feeling the pressure from Bad Boy when things like Reasonable Doubt and Illmatic didn't sell well
39:50 - What early Roc-A-Fella offices were like, passing on signing Fab, how they got it popping
41:35 - "Ain't No _____"
44:20 - Lenny S recalls being Jay's fake DJ for several tours before getting just
46:55 - Signing Foxy Brown, Emile,
47:45 - Young Guru comes out, Guru being one of the only people engineers that Pro Tools at the time, how that and concentrating everyone into Bassline did wonders for their efficiency and label, talk living at Bassline and showering at hotels
55:50 - Why they chose to partnering with Def Jam over being signed by them
56:15 - Just Blaze comes out, how they found him: "We got a producer, and he can do beats like Swizz Beatz for $5000," his value as a producer that didn't need to sample at the time, they clown him for playing video games, Pro Tools' role in Amil's project, how his career took off
1:01:50 - Just talks "Keep It Real Wednesdays," Jay originally saying [unnamed producer] is doing the whole Blueprint 2 but all of the beats sucking, then Guru arguing with Jay about making Blueprint 2 a double album, basically how Blueprint 2 and Keep It Real Wednesdays came together to save the project. "A lot of your favourite producers got laughed out of the room, but then some people off the street got on the album immediately;" "That was like Fight Club for a lot of people;" "If they liked the beat, they cut a check" If you haven't heard about Keep It Real Wednesdays before, this bit is a must listen for some hip hop history
1:07:20 - Hip Hop talks how a legendary beat tape from Kanye changed the whole sound of The Blueprint, H to the Izzo being for Ghostface (Cam also got on it), Ain't No Love being for DMX, Takeover being for Beanie Sigel. Jay doing songs to every song on the tape on Friday and Saturday. Talk about several other major non-Jay joints on that tape too.
1:09:20 - "That was the beat tape where he never had to make beat tapes again," them calling Just next to get some soulful shit and Jay snatching songs intended for Prodigy (Prodigy being the first person to rap on U Don't Know, Busta too) and Ghostface/Wu
1:12:45 - Rappers' shifts at Baseline
1:16:20 - Freeway, Young Gunz & Jim Jones come out
1:17:55 - Just talks about how Oh Boy came together, Jim: "I don't think we were supposed to have that beat"
1:19:20 - "Bleek turned down a lot of heat, FYI:" An early Oh Boy, Whoa, Oochie Wallie, and more, they continue the story about Oh Boy. "Dame heard it and said we're shooting a video to it Friday"
1:22:00 - Dipset being at Cam's house in New Jersey after Cam recording Izzo and was about to put it out as a single, and them all watching the BET Awards and seeing Jay perform the song, Jim: "Ayo, we wanted to KILL Kanye!" (Basically A&Rs at Roc-A-Fella were shopping the same beats to different artists)
1:23:00 - Chaka comes out, talks directing a lot of the videos, developing a lot of the business behind Roc-A-Fella (FYI she is president of Roc Nation today), moving all of State Property into one house "It was just a bunch of beards and Muslim oils coming towards you"
1:28:50 - Chaka talks the family atmosphere
1:35:50 - Just/Freeway talk Philadelphia Freeway, State Property coming out of a failed Beans/Bleek album
1:39:45 - Just notes that Freeway's Flipside was supposed to be the first Jay/Bey records
1:43:00 - Impromptu performance of Can't Stop, Won't Stop by Young Gunz
1:45:50 - Jim talks how Dipset went from Epic to Roc-A-Fella, they talk how Come Home With Me came together, they argue about when Juelz got on Hey Ma, Hey Ma and Oh Boy changing their lives
1:56:20 - How Dipset and State Property came together, Cam telling Dipset to come with the bars every day when recording with them
1:58:50 - A story about Bigface by Chris & Neef, talks Biggs' role in Tough Luv
2:01:45 - Jim Jones getting $9k cheques a week from engineering, getting director of photography cheques #hustle
2:04:50 - Everyone's reactions to hearing Takeover, talk multiple versions, Nas hearing the incomplete version and responding before Jay added the Nas-specific verse. "It was more about Prodigy than it was Nas"
2:06:25 - "Who was at Summer Jam- who made that call to Michael Jackson?"
2:07:35 - [gratuitous pausing] I swear I don't get NY dudes
2:08:50 - Hip-Hop meeting Kanye West for the first time in '96, originally going there meeting with No I.D. who said he had nothing for Jay, but recommended Ye, none of Ye's beats sticking with Jay until This Can't Be Life
2:11:15 - "Did everyone on this stage have a moment where Ye went up to you, said 'I can rap,' and then rapped forever to you?"; how Ye brought songs to them, Hip-Hop and Biggs seeing Kanye's potential early
2:13:30 - "What does Dame not get enough credit for?;" "Dame would split a 2 million dollar overhead 8 ways [between his staff]"

So many great anecdotes.

wow, nice summary, thanks,

damn bleek, you really turned down the Whoa! beat? Glad Black Rob killed it anyways, the remix was even better!

Not surprised jigga stealing all the dope beats,heh, surprised he let Freeway get away with Flipside, then again Jay-Z really didnt need that anyways.

Dont know if they mentioned it but What We do is still one the best Just Blaze tracks ever and one my fav productions of all time. Glad Freeway kept that one too.

Oh Boy was a infectious classic that pretty much cemented Camron mainstream wise back then. Dipset movement back then was so nice, didnt take themselves too seriously and always had funny quotables and amazing ear for chipmunk/soulful beats.

Knew about Heart in the City being for DMX originally but Takeover beat was originally for Beans? damn

All In all , Just Blaze and Kanye West were the best things to happen for Roc A Fella circa 2000. So many classic records

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I wish I could find some videos I've seen on the topic, but rappers of all statures pass on songs that end up being hits. Jay has passed on a number himself.

It's hard to even fathom the form songs would take for those they didn't end up with, and so hard to distance yourself from the familiarity bias that comes with it. But it must suck to pass on something that ends up making someone else's career, even if it may have been a bad fit for you.

Alpende

Listened to the A$AP Twelvyy just now and his voice kind of reminds me of Vince Staples. Gonna re listen tomorrow, I liked it the first time around.

xHiryu

this ugly god tape has no business being as good as it is lmao

shits classic, had me laughing a few times:

Damn, I am the G.O.A.T, admit it

Bitch your house got roaches, I ain't going, bitch I can't

Icolin

Banned
this ugly god tape has no business being as good as it is lmao

shits classic, had me laughing a few times:

Damn, I am the G.O.A.T, admit it

Bitch your house got roaches, I ain't going, bitch I can't

Yeah, shit's fucking hilarious.

Come here baby put your phone number in my gadget
"Little Dick Clique", until they lay me in a casket

xHiryu

Yeah, shit's fucking hilarious.

Come here baby put your phone number in my gadget
"Little Dick Clique", until they lay me in a casket

lmaoooooooooo

Niggas is bitches I don't fuck with niggas, I can't fuck with niggas like racists,
Hoes on my dick I put gold on my wrist now my neck really cold like a penguin,
I pipe your bitch with this ice on my wrist cause she see my dick hard like the pavement,
I got that guap now these bitches gon' flock B, I got your main bitch in amazement

3gXZPFX.gif

even Wiz's verse is good, the fact that he produced more than half the songs is nuts. the production and the fact that its under 30 make this a very easy listen.

Here's what I think about Ugly God's "The Booty Tape."

First off, it's a lot better than I was expecting. I was expecting really stereotypical boring mumble rap and I got something a lot more interesting that. The mixtape is very self-deprecating, which is a nice thematic change of pace from the rest of the "mumble-rap" genre. Yes, he's talking about fucking your bitch and how many diamonds he has, but he's also saying he's ugly, he got money from FAFSA, he has a small penis, etc etc. It's interesting to see someone take away all the masturbatory bragging that makes up the majority of trappers' lyrical content.

Secondly, I'm impressed he produced most of this album himself. We're now at a time where producers are demanding just as much respect as rappers do (see: the kerfuffle when French Montana forgot who produced "Unforgettable", the producers becoming rappers to get their attention) London on Tha Track says it best:
So I feel like being an artist would help my brand way bigger than just being a producer. I want people to know me as a person and not just this piano guy that plays piano. I want people to know when they see me or hear me talk, to know my presence. I feel like being an artist can definitely lead the way and help a lot.
The fact Ugly God produced 7 out of the 10 tracks on his tape is not that significant a feat, but the fact he did so in a sub-genre where production is a bigger factor than who's rapping or about what they're rapping about makes it a much bigger deal.

Overall, it's a lot better than I was expecting but that's not a high hurdle to clear considering I was expecting an hour-long project with a shit-ton of features and Autotune and references to lean and Xans. Hopefully, his next project can impress me more.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I wasn't really trying to listen to this Meek album but I just listened to the intro and

New jewelry, new whips on the way now
Brr, brr, that's yo bitch on the way now
Mama told me if you fall, never stay down
Stand up n***a, I can never lay down
Wins and the losses, it come with being bosses
Shoot a pussy n***a in his head if he cross us
Take that shit to trial if the feds making offers
Five hundred thou', Louis said we lookin' awesome
Swap that Patek for them cuffs, take them off us

made me do the involuntary

RtSPYU.gif

Might have to give it a go. Hearing the Booty Tape is less than a half hour got me to go through that first. And I'm out of new music so I figure I'll do DropTopWop, Good For You, My Moment and maaaaaaaaaaaaybe Wins and Losses too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom