• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

Okay. That wasn't worth the back and forth, lol.
yeah it really wasn't lol
Cersei not killing Tyrion makes sense if you follow her logic of protecting what's most important to her (the baby). You can see how she so wanted to kill him (she visibly scowls when she has the Mountain back down), but doing so would almost assuredly result in her ass being wiped the fuck off of the face of the earth. If she kills him, the only play she has is to quickly kill or imprison everyone at the Dragons Pit. Dany dies in the process and Drogon would probably turn KL to ash. Dany somehow survived, and she'll probably turn the Red Keep to ash. Either way, Cersei dies.
that's true. Cersei may be fucking evil but she's not a complete idiot. Killing Tyrion would just spark up the war again, right in the capital.

ComputerBlue

Gold Member
Anybody ever wonder how this dude made it South of The Wall???

I've seen the pilot probably 6-7 times and I never questioned it until now.

GameOfThrones_Trailer01_Screencap_02.jpg

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

The White Walkers showed him the secret passage through the wall (same one they were going to use before Tyrion gifted them a dragon). Come on now, you think they were going to keep one of the Watchmen alive and not help him make his way south lol? I still don't understand why they let him go, other the need for Ned to execute a shaken and truth telling man.

ComputerBlue

Gold Member
The White Walkers showed him the secret passage through the wall (same one they were going to use before Tyrion gifted them a dragon). Come on now, you think they were going to keep one of the Watchmen alive and not help him make his way south lol? I still don't understand why they let him go, other the need for Ned to execute a shaken and truth telling man.

He was their crow raven obviously. Someone had to announce the return of the WW's.

Still don't answer my question though, if dude can get around, the Wildlings could have done just the same instead of scaling the fucking thing.

devilhawk

I always figured he went through a stationed castle and then bailed without telling anyone. Doesn't make the most sense but is more likely than him climbing it.

ComputerBlue

Gold Member
I always figured he went through a stationed castle and then bailed without telling anyone. Doesn't make the most sense but is more likely than him climbing it.

Which brings us to question why the Wildlings, scaled the damn thing, scouted it and still insisted on attacking the only manned castle, castle black, instead of going through any of the other unguarded ones.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Which brings us to question why the Wildlings, scaled the damn thing, scouted it and still insisted on attacking the only manned castle, castle black, instead of going through any of the other unguarded ones.

Because that's what the plot wanted? How else would we have gotten the greatest character to grace this show if the Widling didn't do exactly what they did?

Edit: shit, I double posted while thinking I was editing :(

It's been over a week since the finale, so this thread is being moved over to the Community forum until next season. If any major news comes up (casting, S8 premiere date, etc...), feel free to make new threads for new news in the regular OT. I'll try and post some of the minor stuff in this thread in the interim. In the meantime, same rules as before apply in this thread. If you have any questions, send me a PM.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I can't tell if that's Pod or Gendry. They both look like larvae stage Christian Bale

the first time Sansa threatened to kill Petyr, he played it off pretty cool with a ready-to-die attitude. But then when she calls him out for all of his bullshit in Winterfell's great hall he is reduced to being on his knees begging for his life

Massa

That's another thing, I was really surprised to see Cersei did not have it in her to kill Tyrion. Why did she spare him? The only thing I could think of is the thought going through her head "this is too easy..." and she plans to give him a much more painful death in the future

If she had killed him Daenerys would've destroyed her right then and there.

Hydrus

This move to community really hurts :( GoT is really finished for a long time. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck! But I will continue to keep this thread alive! Even if no responds to me! :(

leng jai

I gave up on buying the blu rays after season 3. Just going to wait for the whole thing to end and buy whatever mega set they inevitably put out.

Well the finale was mixed for me. A few developments that I have been expecting for a while. I liked the way LF was offed, although I predicted it when the conflict between Sansa and Arya first arrived. Jon and Dany getting it on, Jon's name revealed. The wall breaking was something I expected as well, so happy it has happened - although pissed such a beautiful wall was broken down. Good to see Jaime finally grow a spine as well.

On the other hand, the whole Dragon pit story line, including the abduct a white lead up, was atrocious and pointless. Why would anyone in anyway trust Cersei is beyond me. And also the ridiculous notion that she had more leverage than Danny considering the disparity in their forces. Tyrion has been a terrible tactician this season, and I am not sure why they are following his ideas. They have been uniformly terrible. His acting has still been good, it is just the writing this season has plummeted. It has become a character drama, where the producers seem to have certain scenes in mind and they tie them together, to the detriment of the plot. It also has acquired a villain of the week style, with Cersei being set up as the final villain of the week - with this season her poor situation being reversed by many instances of good fortune, all for the purpose of resurrecting her as a worthy foe...

Honestly, Dany should have called a trial by combat to settle things, which Cersei would probably have stupidly accepted, then they could have had Drogon versus the mountain. Well, again, they seem to have tilted so much in Cersei's favour this season just for the scenario they want to see play out.

Anarion07

As for the deserter.
He returned to Castle Black and probably the same night just left, like Jon did that one time. It's not like he was a deserter when he returned to the castle.

As for the unmanned castles..
The tunnels in unmanned castles are probably just closed/collapsed when they are abandoned, so it makes sense to attack castle black from the south to (hopefully) take it over and just open the door for the rest.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I gave up on buying the blu rays after season 3. Just going to wait for the whole thing to end and buy whatever mega set they inevitably put out.

Yeah, its a better way then buying every year an again downgraded box with not matching designs. I really dont understand boxdesigner, they must hate collectors and make changes that nothing match up on purpose.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
So with my show favorite now dead, I have been thinking about positive ways to remember Littlefinger. I have been very disappointed by his lack of ambition over the past season or two, but now I think the show undersold them by reducing his screentime dramatically.

Littlefinger took over the Vale and was grooming Sansa to become the heir of Winterfell. Had he succeeded, he would have proposed so that he indirectly would rule over the entire North. After that, I wonder how he would have attempted dealing with Dany and Cersei to eventually claim the Iron Throne. Shame we will never know!
Yeah they really jettisoned his character after the vale. They should have added 'making creepy faces from the shadows and hiding a little piece of paper' to his list of crimes.

If you are being held by the federal government as a high-value prisoner, then yes, it does come down to your prime minister.

Sansa was a prisoner of the Lannisters. Tyrion, as the head Lannister in charge of KL, was responsible for keeping her prisoner (note that, in S2E1, he points out that Cersei was supposed to capture both Sansa and Arya, and with Arya missing, Tywin will be angry with her).
I am not seeing talking shit to Cersei = him keeping them as captors. They talk shit with snide remarks all the time. I do see your pov, I just don't see Tyrion holding someone like Sansa who he's shown to be the most empathetic towards in the entire show. Of course Tywin would be pissed, but that's a Tuesday for them.

Thought experiment: Varys brings Tyrion word that Sansa is planning to escape. Does he:

(a) do nothing and let her leave.
(b) stop her from leaving because she's a Lannister prisoner.

Hint: the correct answer is (b).
Ehh maybe. Personally, I think he would let her go if he knew she would safe. I don't know why you're acting like Tyrion is the ultimate obedient son. Tywin said don't screw around and with their whore history, he still brought Shae to KL. After they won the war and Tywin became the hand, he said next whore he finds in his bed will be hanged. Did Tyrion listen? No.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.

Most likely he went South through one of the abandoned castles, similar to how Bran went North and Sam journeyed back to Castle Black.

The other idea would be that the went back to Castle Black, lied and ran out the doors.

Either way, it sure is convenient that he ran into Ned Stark only miles from Winterfell =p

I wish Jon made it back to Winterfell by the end of the season. I hate that we have to wait till next season for his reunion with Bran and Arya.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I wish Jon made it back to Winterfell by the end of the season. I hate that we have to wait till next season for his reunion with Bran and Arya.

They had to keep one reunion for the last season I guess after we had Arya, Sansa & Bran this season and Jon & Sansa last year....

Bran & Jon going to be as awkward as we can imagine though.

"Bran, it's so good to see you!" -Jon
"Your name is not Jon. You're Aegon Targaryen. Your mother was Lyanna Stark and your father was Rhaegar. You're the true heir to the Iron Throne." -Bran, said with the most emotionless voice & face possible.
Jon :

They had to keep one reunion for the last season I guess after we had Arya, Sansa & Bran this season and Jon & Sansa last year....

Bran & Jon going to be as awkward as we can imagine though.

"Bran, it's so good to see you!" -Jon
"Your name is not Jon. You're Aegon Targaryen. Your mother was Lyanna Stark and your father was Rhaegar. You're the true heir to the Iron Throne." -Bran, said with the most emotionless voice & face possible.
Jon :

I just hope theres another amazing version of the Stark theme during Jon and Aryas reunion. "Home" from this seasons OST is fantastic. I always get choked up ;_;

Hydrus

How exactly is a show like this filmed? Like how does it work with different directors and stuff? Like do they film each episode in order? Seems like it would cost a ton to travel to the same locations over and over. It would also seem hard on the actors and crew to shoot a scene then have a new director walk in and direct an entirely different scene right after.

How exactly is a show like this filmed? Like how does it work with different directors and stuff? Like do they film each episode in order? Seems like it would cost a ton to travel to the same locations over and over. It would also seem hard on the actors and crew to shoot a scene then have a new director walk in and direct an entirely different scene right after.
They get into it a bit here from the directorial side, at least.
How did you approach shooting “The Spoils of War”?

We get all the scripts for the season more than a year before we start shooting anything, and that’s vastly helpful, because it allows for huge savings in the physical production. The company only has to move 40 trucks and 150 crew members to some remote beach in Northern Ireland once, and then three or four, maybe five director/DP teams will come in and share that crew on that one location, because they’re all out there shooting at the same time. So when we were in northern Spain last year, we shot sequences for multiple episodes, because those scenes would be in the same location. It saved us flying the director back to Spain later, for half a day’s work.

Why don’t they have one director shoot all the Dorne sequences, one director shoot all the North sequences, and so forth? It seems like that would be more consistent and involve less moving around.

Probably a lot of producers would like that! But the Directors Guild of America rules are very strict about a director having authorship of an episode, and the result is that even if you only have one page to film, maybe four hours of work in Dubrovnik or something, according to the letter of the law, they have to fly the director there to direct that sequence. Of course sometimes a director will ask another director who’s already there to do it for them. There’s a fair bit of that sort of switching around.
It's a huge logistical puzzle that they have to work out every year - mobilizing the cast and crew so they can get everything done in a reasonably efficient manner.

Hydrus

They get into it a bit here from the directorial side, at least.It's a huge logistical puzzle that they have to work out every year - mobilizing the cast and crew so they can get everything done in a reasonably efficient manner.

Thanks. Seems pretty hard on the actors to have to shoot that much stuff out of sequence with different directing crews. It would definitely screw with my head.

Jon and Arya reunion will be one of the best moments ever

Hopefully, it will be well-done.
I expected a very poignant reunion between Arya and Sansa but we ended up with a sweet yet awkward encounter ( albeit I reckon it was realistic and I was satisfied with it )

I personally do not think it will be as good as the Sansa & Jon reunion because that one basically set the standard for the consequent stark reunions we thought we would never have in the long run. It was a first after six seasons and I think the best part of it was the fact that both Sansa and Jon were the most distant " siblings " in the family but that didn't stop them from embracing each other after everything they've been through. That scene always gets me. Sansa finally found shelter and peace and it's cool that she's been the main stark sibling in all encounters.

Surfinn

Hopefully, it will be well-done.
I expected a very poignant reunion between Arya and Sansa but we ended up with a sweet yet awkward encounter ( albeit I reckon it was realistic and I was satisfied with it )

I personally do not think it will be as good as the Sansa & Jon reunion because that one basically set the standard for the consequent stark reunions we thought we would never have in the long run. It was a first after six seasons and I think the best part of it was the fact that both Sansa and Jon were the most distant " siblings " in the family but that didn't stop them from embracing each other after everything they've been through. That scene always gets me. Sansa finally found shelter and peace and it's cool that she's been the main stark sibling in all encounters.

What if they met on the battlefield? Would be a pretty incredible moment

Top Bottom