• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop found out about Microsoft's pre-owned games policy later than we did

jmood88

So the big question is, if taken to the extreme, will publishers support a no used games console that not a lot of people buy or a console that plays used games that they get no profit from that a lot of people buy?
The publishers are the ones who hate GameStop selling their games used.

neptunes

It would be hilarious if Gamestop refused to sell any Xbox ONE related products due to this.
They'd basically lose any potential money to be made on HW and accessories to any other retailer that decides to carry it. Target or Walmart would just get more sales.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
This day keeps getting better and better and better.

I just can't stop laughing.

Savitar

You can certainly bet Gamestop will play up the system negatively while pushing the PS4 when people go to buy it or games. No way are they going to take this laying down....they want their monies.

I'm sure Gamestop was super thrilled to read the news today.

Not being put in the loop is pretty much tantamount to them being excluded from any used game cartel MS plans to implement.

I think MS will create an auction house or store on Xbox Live where people can trade and/or sell their used games which will incur a small percentage fee on every transaction.

ReaperXL7

It's not up to Sony to decided, they can only account for first party.

If every other 3rd party wants to kill used games, Sony will have no choice but to allow them.

Except if Sony ends up with more people on their console then publishers will have a difficult time demanding anything. Your also acting like all publishers/developers believe that used games are the bane of their exsistance. Some actively stand against most forms of DRM. The big publishers are the ones who fight it, but if the PS4 comes out ahead they are not going to ignore that.

The Xbox one section at GS will only be as large as the Vita game display.

Fixed

Empty-shelves-at-a-grocery-store.jpg

This is what Major Nelson said in a blog post:

We know there is some confusion around used games on Xbox One and wanted to provide a bit of clarification on exactly what we’ve confirmed today. While there have been many potential scenarios discussed, today we have only confirmed that we designed Xbox One to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail.

Not sell the console.

They could kill it.

You can't be serious. Gamestop not selling the new Xbox would HARDLY be able to kill the console. It's incredible what people believe these days.

Is this a serious question?

Seriously, most of my in person game purchases take place at Best Buy, and for online it's Amazon. People somehow believed Gamestop was the center of the universe for the retail games business?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
They'd basically lose any potential money to be made on HW and accessories to any other retailer that decides to carry it. Target or Walmart would just get more sales.

Gamestop convinces a lot of people on what consoles to buy in America, believe it or not. There are a ton of people in America that think Gamestop is their only option on launch day for games.

Clevinger

MS started the ball rolling and now the major publishers aren't going to like a system where they get no cut on game resale vs. one where they do.

I don't think that matters too much. It's not like those publishers are going to refuse to make money on PS4 with multiplats if Sony doesn't want to play ball with blocking used games.

neptunes

Except if Sony ends up with more people on their console then publishers will have a difficult time demanding anything. Your also acting like all publishers/developers believe that used games are the bane of their exsistance. Some actively stand against most forms of DRM. The big publishers are the ones who fight it, but if the PS4 comes out ahead they are not going to ignore that.
That hypothetical scenario will only happen if the Xbox version of next gen mulitplatform games barely sell anything(which I find hard to believe)

If the Xbox does marginally well you bet publishers will want more return on their products.

ultron87

How would your console differentiate between a new copy and one that was sold 2nd hand to you (say 2 days after release) ?

All you're really doing is buying a licence which is activated on your console, regardless if its a new disc or 2nd hand. (the disc being just a quick way of installing the game)

Welcome to Nextgen everyone
Microsoft has specifically stated that there is a way to sell your games at retail. So there must be a way. And it is a different scenario than what Phil Harrison was talking about in reference to the fee.

Wow I am surprised they didn't tell Gamestop, in fact it's like they intentionally misled them...

This will be war. I don't really see what MS can offer them to compensate. Even if they split revenue with them (which they will never do) that would still be climbing into your own grave.

I would imagine that Xbox One will not be sold there. Every box Gamestop puts in the market is one more consumer that they will never make any (more) money on.

Haunted

Gamestop (and other brick and mortar's relevancy) is in steep decline, but they still have enough presence and clout now to have a significant impact during the next few years at least.

If all the rumours and preliminary announcements are true, expect pretty much every brick and mortar store worldwide to more prominently feature PS4 and WiiU games in marketing and ads and promos compared to XB1. The used games trade makes up a significant portion of their revenue, the platforms most accommodating to that area of business will be preferred.

Some profit is better than no profit. They do make some money from new games.

You make more profit by finding more room (and better positioning) for products that actually have value.

Gamestop won't stop carrying the system, but it'll be shoved off into a corner, and more retailers (especially those that resell games, see Best buy and some Walmarts) are going to follow.

Darryl

Banned

if gamestop stopped selling it, customers won't necessarily just go to a different outlet. they could just pick up a different console instead.

ultron87

You can trade and resell games as usual, but the new owners will still have to pay a fee to play the game through their account. That is what I am getting out of all this. In other words, it discourages the practice.
The fee they have confirmed is for buying an entirely new license to the game while the original owner retains the ability to play it. That's different than someone reselling it.

neptunes

Wow I am surprised they didn't tell Gamestop, in fact it's like they intentionally misled them...

This will be war. I don't really see what MS can offer them to compensate. Even if they split revenue with them (which they will never do) that would still be climbing into your own grave.

I would imagine that Xbox One will not be sold there. Every box Gamestop puts in the market is one more consumer that they will never make any (more) money on.
I can't see GS totally dropping the XBox, there will still be profits to be made on HW Sales, Accessories, and New games.

They might not position it prominently, but to conpletely drop it? People can still buy PC games there right?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Game Informer would like to proudly present our next cover story on why Japanese made consoles are the best ever*

*Exclusive GameStop skins for Mario coming exclusively this fall!

Talamius

if gamestop stopped selling it, customers won't necessarily just go to a different outlet. they could just pick up a different console instead.

This right here. They'll try to sell you a PS4 or, hell, even a WiiU instead. Anything they can potentially make money on.

Moobabe

I can't see GS totally dropping the XBox, there will still be profits to be made on HW Sales, Accessories, and New games.

They might not position it prominently, but to conpletely drop it? People can still buy PC games there right?

The profit margins on HW sales and new games is minimal - but yes, accessories and add-ons (in addition to pre-owned) are where the money is made.

M3d10n

I just thought of something crazy: what is it does support used games... If they are resold by select partners? Imagine that MS can allow select partners to remotely deauthorize discs by paying a fee, maybe using a specialized unit. This way GS could resell the game and MS would get a cut.

This would explain the need to connect online every 24 hours: to support remote deauthorization.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
When asked about Xbox One's potential second-hand fee, Bartel said the information came "as a surprise" and declined to comment "on speculation."

Gamestop uses the same media and advertising team as the White House.

Top Bottom