• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop found out about Microsoft's pre-owned games policy later than we did

dab0ne

No. Then Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, Future Shop, etc would get a larger sure of the passed up revenue. It would be suicide for GameStop.

On new systems.

I say they only deal in used X1 consoles. They would keep their profits then.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
It's probably just because I'm dumb but why would this kill their business? People are willing to buy used games at GS for $5 off the new price. So if the fee for a used game is say, $10, which I would think is on the high side, all they would have to do is sell their game for $15 less, which would still give them a good profit.

That won't happen. Whatever the fee is (assuming it ends up being a small fee, like say $10), GameStop will just take $10 off trade in values. If you got $20 for the game before, now you'll only get $10. Then GameStop can sell the game at the same price they did before.

Gamestop hardly has that kind of clout.

People will just go to Walmart.
Keep telling yourself that. GameStop is such a small store that devs constantly act like GameStop is robbing them.

This move by MS is a direct shot across the bow for GS. I don't think ms has a lot to gain from upsetting a retail distributor but its very obvious they're using the xbone as a dd service with physical media as a delivery method.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Publishers are going to have a rude fucking awakening when they realize millions of people only can buy new games because the resale value of their used games isn't artificially crippled by this bullshit.

Hope they are happy with 40% less new sales to go along with lower used sales.

That won't happen. Whatever the fee is (assuming it ends up being a small fee, like say $10), GameStop will just take $10 off trade in values. If you got $20 for the game before, now you'll only get $10. Then GameStop can sell the game at the same price they did before.
What about 3 year sports game? You'll negative money for trading them in...I can imagine someone bringing in a whole bag of games and getting literally nothing in credit for them due to the sports games cancelling out any credit.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I applaud MS for testing this out.

Used games should never be ruled out but the devs and publishers should ABSOLUTELY be getting a cut of every resale.

Why. That's just stupid.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Publishers are going to have a rude fucking awakening when they realize millions of people only can buy new games because the resale value of their used games isn't artificially crippled by this bullshit.

Hope they are happy with 40% less new sales to go along with lower used sales.

Exactly. I don't know why folks/devs/publishers have a hard time figuring this out. People sell used games to buy new games. It supports the industry. Take that away and suddenly, you're not going to be selling a lot of new games. It's as simple as that.

Stupid stupid publishers.

Exactly. I don't know why folks/devs/publishers have a hard time figuring this out. People sell used games to buy new games. It supports the industry. Take that away and suddenly, you're not going to be selling a lot of new games. It's as simple as that.

Stupid stupid publishers.
Yep. I have never bought a used game but I have exchanged my old games so I can buy a new one. If I can't do that then I'll be buying less new games.

Yep. I have never bought a used game but I have exchanged my old games so I can buy a new one. If I can't do that then I'll be buying less new games.

Exactly what I do. I never buy used games, however I trade all of my used games in exchange for the newest title. With that option taken away from me, I"m going to be alot pickier with what games I decide to spend my money on. $60 is alot to ask from someone when there are new games coming out weekly. I can see alot of games selling alot less than the numbers we're seeing now.

Personally for me, if I see a new game for $60 and a used game for $50-$55, I'll always pick up the new game. Only times i've bought a used game were for years old titles.

cyberheater

Yep. I have never bought a used game but I have exchanged my old games so I can buy a new one.

Exactly what I do. I never buy used games,

Yes but someone at some point has to buy your old games for the whole system to work. It doesn't matter if you sell used games to buy new games or sell used games to buy used games. It all supports the system and in the end supports the devs.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I applaud MS for testing this out.

Used games should never be ruled out but the devs and publishers should ABSOLUTELY be getting a cut of every resale.

Why? You bought it, it's yours, you should be able to resell it.

Do you send off a check to the original manufacturer when you sell a car? What if I bought a second hand LEGO set, should I toss off a check to LEGO for the rights to use those btis and bricks?

Top Bottom