• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers Thread: Good Night and Good Game

UrbanRats

So anyway... checked my user account at GT.com, and it says i've been a member since 2008.
I actually started using GT a little before that (probably around 2006), on and off for a while, then more frequently around 2009 or so, listening to Invisible Walls, even though i didn't like Shane and Marcus very much.
It became my go to videogame website when Shane left, like for many here, i assume, and i quickly dropped every other videogame site i used to watch, other than it (Giant Bomb and such).

I guess many of us knew this moment was coming, especially after Elyse departure, things did look a bit grim, but it still sucks balls.

As i said some time back, GT wasn't only my "go to" videogame site, but it was actually the only reason a cared about videogame news in the first place.
I don't play games as much as i used to, nor do i care about them as strongly, so now that GT is shut down (unless these folks decide to band together for something else) i guess i'm done with that whole thing.
I mean not gaming itself, but i'm not gonna bother reading gaming news or reviews from another site, and just follow major shifts casually, from neogaf.

The most depressing thing will be following E3 this year, watching the conferences without commentary will fucking sucks, no two ways about it.
To the point where i'm wondering if i'll even bother.

Anyway, i'll keep it short, thanks to all the GT staff (current and past) for all the years of entertainment.

crimilde

Banned
This makes me incredibly sad. I was always looking forward to new content from GT. Goddamn. I really hope they do a Patreon, I'd back it up in an instant.

I can't believe it. Been following GT for 9 years and they have been in their prime for the last 3 years.

Such good times and amazing content and streams. They didn't deserve this at all. Gonna post a little more later on.

Does anyone know the official word? They were saying how excited they were for the year to come only a couple weeks ago?

According to the final stream, Brandon found out this morning and everyone found out shortly after. He alluded to it on Dumb Game Monday this morning, but I don't think Kyle knew anything until after. It appeared to be as much a shock to everyone as it was to us. Brandon got upset during his farewell speech on stream.

WHAT THE FUCK?!?!?!?!?!

I turned on YouTube this morning on my Xbox before getting out of bed and saw a "new" Bloodborne review which gave it the first ever 10. I thought that was a little strange.

Come in to this thread now and hear the worst news ever!

God dammit. Gametrailers is literally the only gaming outlet I bother with, everywhere else seems full of complete try hards.

Gutted. I hope you all find something new very soon.

Best of luck to you all. And thanks for keeping me entertained for years.

Yonafunu

I've been trying to post something here for about an hour now, and it just won't come out the way I want it to, so fuck it.

I just fucking loved everything you guys did. I've been watching GT since somewhere around the middle of the Invisible Walls run, and these past years have been the best yet. Every time I read a new story about something in the industry I immediately think "I wonder if they'll talk about this on GT Time", " I wonder how Kyle feels about this" or "I hope Blood doesn't win this bet again". More than anything GT feels like friends hanging out and talking about videogames, but the remarkable thing is that it made me feel part of the gang. During pretty much every video and show I've been nodding along vigourously, shaking my head in disbelief and laughing my ass off. Thank you for that. Every single one of you. Brandon, Blood, Kyle, Huber, Ben, Brad, Ian, Matt, Don, Elyse, Damiani, everyone. Thank you so much for your enthusiasm, passion and positivity (with healthy doses of cynicism here and there). Thank you for everything, and please don't stop.

PS. Brandon's perfect voice has become my default narration when reading reviews.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
After walking in the door home from work I see the bosman thread up on the front page 2 days early and it's like getting a phone call at 730 in the morning the day after a doctors appointment. You just know it's bad news....

You guys have been a part of my life since I was in freaking high school. Yesterday...me and my daughter watched the Firewatch gtlive to go to bed.

You were my only direct source of gaming news that seemed to really relish in the opportunity to speak and work on something you were truly passionate about and loved. The creativity, intelligence and openness that you approached every show you made with is and always will be a high bar that others will strive for.

The dynamic of this team of people...the plain as day friendships on display and familial like interplay that just seemed to come naturally after being together for so long pulled me in like I was catching up with MY old friends. Every week.

I will miss the everloving shit out of this group and cannot wait to see where each and every one of you end up as im positive it will be great.

Love and respect.

P.S. I've never given money away to the Internet for anything but if you all patreon up I am fucking there in a heartbeat!

Doc_Drop

Fuck..just found this out when I woke up.

Everyone from GT please know what you meant to all of us out there. You have always been the most consistent and entertaining groups out there in the gaming space. All of you have had moments in the sun and no-one will ever forget the momentous E3 live stream.

I would love to think that you will set up shop together somewhere but realise that it's not likely so I hope you can all at least stay together outside of work and move on to great things. I know I will certainly be scanning for your names everywhere.

Good luck going forward, and it really is hard to explain the joy and friendship you guys are able to send down the interwebs into our homes. Thank you

PS. Now you can totally shoot tabletop adventures in your spare time and load on your own YouTube channels....wink wink

sora87

It's all so surreal.
I've watched every stream they've ever done, back when Damiani, Bosman and Ben were trying to make it a regular thing, to now, Brandon saying goodbye. :'(

Yonafunu

I don't want to watch the farewell stream :(

After the Elyse stream I didn't think there'd be another one so soon after it. Fuck everything.

Auctopus

Ok, I've gathered some thoughts.

It's weird to think of a game review site as a big part of your life but I can't really think of GT as anything else now. I've been watching you guys since I was 12-13 and I'm 23 now. A friend asked me about the news this morning and I realised I was orginally watching your videos on fucking dial up, haha. As I said in a previous comment, you have been in your absolute prime these last few years providing my favourite reviews, streams and CONTENT throughout the whole industry. I eagerly anticipated GT time and similar shows every week last year as it was something I could listen to when working a job I hated, being able to listen along to your thoughts and jokes about this crazy industry made those incredibly slow hours pass a little faster. On rainy weekends when I wasn't doing anything, I'd put on a full-playthrough and order pizza, your attitudes and demeanor when streaming were so fun-loving and easy going and provided a respite form a normally cynical part of the game industry. I have a lot more to say but I'm sure so do a lot of others so I'll say if any one of you: Brandon, Blood, Bosman, Huber, Brad, Ben, Elyse, Ian, Don or Matt are in the UK - let Twitter know and I'll happily buy you a pint or two. Don't care how lame this sounds about a website but I fucking love you guys.

Thanks for all the good times, keep it jolly! You guys are the best.

I just watched the final minutes for probably the 5th time. If this teaches us anything, it should be to follow our own dreams and passions because you never know when it's going to vanish. I hate to sound so morbid and dramatic, but it feels like someone died. You're all such amazing people and have helped me through so many things and inspired me to do so much. I really wish someone would just scoop you all up and let you keep doing what you do, but I know it's not likely to happen. I just hope you all stay in video games and keep shining your bright lights in this industry. You're all diamonds to me. I'll see you when the next blood moon rises. Tomorrow is forever all ours. Good night and good game. Fuck the republic and fuck the senate. Hope to see you then, thanks for watching /salute.

I really hope Ben, Brad and Blood pop in here every now and again. Even if it's not an update on your situations, just let us know you're doing alright. You've done so fucking much for us.

So I guess I should ask. What other gaming related stuff do you guys in this thread watch/listen to?

What the hell am I going to do now without GT Time, The Final Bosman, ManUps, Huber Hype?

What a waste!

UrbanRats

I don't want to watch the farewell stream :(

After the Elyse stream I didn't think there'd be another one so soon after it. Fuck everything.

Well at least this'll be the last one you'll have to watch.
P4PYBIi.gif

UrbanRats

So I guess I should ask. What other gaming related stuff do you guys in this thread watch/listen to?

What the hell am I going to do now without GT Time, The Final Bosman, ManUps, Huber Hype?

What a waste!
Nothing.
I watch Karak's "Walking the Walk" videos if the game interests me, but that's it for me.
I'm done with videogames media.
Sorry, if i sound bitter it's because i am.

sora87

What a waste!

The only other thing I watch is Kinda Funny.
There's nothing out there that compares to GT :(

Doc_Drop

What a waste!

That's the thing. Watching all these guys grow in front of the camera, for me at least, was a way of getting to know them and their personalities. Starting fresh with any new teams is going to ring hollow as I felt like I understood the GT crew a lot better.

That said, I guess Funhaus will be it going forward, I started watching them in 2015 due to Elyse and Ian mentioning them and James. I do enjoy their shows but it's not going to fill the void left

Best gaming content by far, gonna miss these guys and the work that they did. Hope they all land on their fight and I wish them nothing but the best. My Thursday nights are gonna be a bit more gloomy without GT Time after a long day of work.

tok9

Forgive my idiocy, but who are the people on the far right? I know the woman is Andrea, and I believe the guy in the big coat is Blair, but what about the other three? The one under Ben, and then the two behind Andrea? This has been bugging me forever.

The guy in the Big coat is Damiani.

The guy under Ben is Blair

The guy in the detective coat is Don.

And unfortunately I'm not sure who the guy with glasses is.

Monkeythumbz

Communications Manager, nDreams
Hi everyone, Ben here. I just wanted to confirm that GameTrailers is shutting down officially today. Everyone is being let go. We all found out mere hours ago, so we're still reeling a bit. Sincerely, thank you all for the tremendous support.

Genuinely saddened by this news. ;_; Wishing all involved nothing but the very best.

Volotaire

Hi everyone, Ben here. I just wanted to confirm that GameTrailers is shutting down officially today. Everyone is being let go. We all found out mere hours ago, so we're still reeling a bit. Sincerely, thank you all for the tremendous support.

I wish you and the crew good luck in all your future endeavours. Thank you for all the content you have provided over the years.

Real bummer stopped going to gaming websites a while ago but I thoroughly enjoyed their youtube content and especially GT Time. Now we'll never get the conclusion to the ongoing sidebets.

Does defy own the final bosman name, I hope not. Favourite gaming related piece of media out there. I'll follow Kyle anywhere though.

And screw the person laying people off on the spot. How about a forewarning so they can get their affairs in order.

No final bets anymore and Ben never got his own show.

To be honest, I am kinda releaved. This was inevitable anyway, I think anyone who followed their content could see that coming.

I see this like the Kojima situation. There are new possibilities, it sucks for now, but I am convinced that these guys will have a better life going independent. At least I hope they do.

I got two hours of sleep, because I didn't want to miss the live stream and downloaded few videos from their website afterwards (60 GB or so).

I still can't believe it. This ain't right. They had no business being that good and it looks like Defy Media agreed with that. Fucking hell.

I got two hours of sleep, because I didn't want to miss the live stream and downloaded few videos from their website afterwards (60 GB or so).

I still can't believe it. This ain't right. They had no business being that good and it looks like Defy Media agreed with that. Fucking hell.

No worries dude, they'll be back. It sucks for now, but they ain't going nowhere. Just give them some time to plan something.

It really fucking annoys me that they weren't told a week or so in advance, so they could say goodbyes properly. So we could get THE Final Bosman, a last Huber Hype, a last GT Time. Let them go out properly.

Not "Oh, pack up your things and don't come back."

Defy cunts!

crimilde

Banned
It really fucking annoys me that they weren't told a week or so in advance, so they could say goodbyes properly. So we could get THE Final Bosman, a last Huber Hype, a last GT Time. Let them go out properly.

Defy cunts!

Yeah the way they handled this is awful. Things like these don't get decided from one day to another, so they must have kept them in the dark and then just pulled the plug. Fucking horrendous.

UrbanRats

Defy cunts!
Yeah that was really weird, the fuck.

Vinc

I didn't subscribe to their twitch channel because I wanted the money I give them to go to... well... them. I hope they make a Patreon.

Top Bottom