• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

I wish they had focused what made them popular. Being an index of game trailers in high quality uncompressed format. When the Youtube revolution happened and we kept getting compressed crap, they should have stepped up to the challenge and defined themselves by their name.

GamerSyde have thankfully filled that gap.

srf

Neo Member
The avatar requests from last night. I hope I didn't miss any.

morgana24nj0d.png

Thank you!

ta9qi

Great read blood, thank you for everything you did and like everybody else hope you guys stick together and we are always ready to back you up, enjoy your honeymoon.
i need a gt logo on my avatar too pls

iNvid02

I wish they had focused what made them popular. Being an index of game trailers in high quality uncompressed format. When the Youtube revolution happened and we kept getting compressed crap, they should have stepped up to the challenge and defined themselves by their name.

GamerSyde have thankfully filled that gap.

it would have ended the same way, luckily they switched to original, personality driven content and cultivated a fanbase.

this is why people, including myself are upset, not that we won't be able to watch some trailers again (everything is on YouTube and for most things it's good enough), it's that we may never see these guys and their shows together again

crimilde

Banned
it would have ended the same way, luckily they switched to original, personality driven content and cultivated a fanbase.

this is why people, including myself are upset, not that we won't be able to watch some trailers again (everything is on YouTube and for most things it's good enough), it's that these we may never see these guys and their shows together again

Agreed, while at the beginning, like 10 years ago or so, I was only visiting GameTrailers for AVGN, trailers and reviews, I have grown so attached to their shows and personalities in the meantime, and that's what makes it so hard.
I was waiting excitedly for new episodes of Huber Hype, GT Time, ManUps, The Final Bosman and Let's Plays each week.

Ochi

Neo Member
I suppose I should post here on Gaf about it, but I have to say I'm gutted by the end of GT.

I'm not sure what I'll do to be honest. Say what you will about their forums and website, but it was home for me and many others and even if those boards stay up into perpetuity it's already begun the process of bleeding out with the announcement.

But I hope that in the wake of this closure more people stop by the place to pay their respects.

Rephil

I suppose I should post here on Gaf about it, but I have to say I'm gutted by the end of GT.

I'm not sure what I'll do to be honest. Say what you will about their forums and website, but it was home for me and many others and even if those boards stay up into perpetuity it's already begun the process of bleeding out with the announcement.

But I hope that in the wake of this closure more people stop by the place to pay their respects.

`this! ..and you're not alone man! a sorrow shared is a sorrow halved!

this is why people, including myself are upset, not that we won't be able to watch some trailers again (everything is on YouTube and for most things it's good enough), it's that we may never see these guys and their shows together again

Yes, I see they had quite a large fanbase. I wasn't a fan, I got my personality driven gaming site kicks elsewhere (GiantBomb and the old Joystiq). For me there was a time when GameTrailers was THE place for GameTrailers, especially around E3s in the mid to late 00s, then at some point it became messy and sluggish and it became a chore to find the videos in the quality I wanted. So my personal experience with what the site became, is negative.

There was 1 show I was interested in for a little bit (because it kept getting posted on GAF). The one with Geoff Keighley, Bonus Round that was it!

Sad to see it go, GameTrailers was a good part of me growing up on my gaming side. It's where I learned of people like AVGN and Keighley, and nice shows like Bonus Round and Live E3 Commentary.

Hope they'll manage to breathe new life to their shows elsewhere!

Rephil

Sad to see it go, GameTrailers was a good part of me growing up on my gaming side. It's where I learned of people like AVGN and Keighley, and nice shows like Bonus Round and Live E3 Commentary.

Hope they'll manage to breathe new life to their shows elsewhere!

exactly this! they brought me into all things gaming 13 years back. its really unbelievable how this ended! i feel like someone close died yesterday..

Hasney

Think I may have to set up an Imgur account and just hoover up all the GT gifs I see and put them all in one place at some point.

Also make one of the ManUps episode where Elyse talks about Bosman slaying 7 pieces of pusehhhh

WillyFive

I'm glad that GT found some great personalities for it's last few years (I love Bosman's show), but GT was bound for disaster before they even came in. During their 2007 heyday, they were a great site and I feel they should have continued and expanded upon that instead of the long series of mistakes that happened afterwards.

- They should have improved their video player to compete with Youtube.
- With their focus on quality footage, their content should have been done like GameXplain does it; do in-depth video coverage of games with good commentary.
- A lot of great talent found their home with their User Videos, they should have provided incentive (much like Youtube does by sharing ad revenue) to keep them there. They would have found themselves with a great haven for them when Youtube started implementing ContentID.
- And of course, everything else their community said they should have done as opposed to nuking them from orbit.

Too bad, though.

Coreda

Amazing. Archive.org has working download links for GT's original 'Homegrown' trailers (the first trailers they performed and edited themselves).

Link to their very first in-house GTA 3 trailer they spoke about on the Twitch stream. Only the WMV version is up, though the original was the MOV version, apparently.

dpdN67f.png

Surprisingly good quality for a 360p video from 2001.

There's several individual and co-ordinated efforts happening. If you search "mega" in this thread, you'll find some backups now. If you want to help out, check this:

http://www.archiveteam.org/index.php?title=GameTrailers

Yup. This is how to preserve it for the future.

bunch of stuff
genuinely sad to hear your site got closed down, that was pretty much my main site gaming site the last 6 months or so. There wasn't a single person on that site that i didn't like.Would always be looking forward to a a new GT time to come out and I thought the last few Mandatory Updates were also awesome because it was more like the type of random conversations I would have while just hanging out with my friends. I even had a few dreams about working with you guys because everybody seemed like a lot of fun to work with.

Anyways, since you made a comment about listening to possible solutions for keeping everybody together, I am gonna repeat the patreon suggestion. I would definitely pay/support it , you guys are awesome together

Ochi

Neo Member
- They should have improved their video player to compete with Youtube.

- A lot of great talent found their home with their User Videos, they should have provided incentive (much like Youtube does by sharing ad revenue) to keep them there. They would have found themselves with a great haven for them when Youtube started implementing ContentID.

- And of course, everything else their community said they should have done as opposed to nuking them from orbit.

Too bad, though.

It always kills me a bit to hear and read comments like this, because despite the truth behind it, it doesn't address the level of autonomy and control GT should've had, but didn't.

Almost every decision and turn the site took that people didn't like had it's roots with troubles at Viacom.

Janky video player? Viacom.
Site redesign in 2012? Viacom.
Shane Satterfeld leaving? Dissatisfaction with Viacom
The end of major development on the website after 2009? Basically Viacom

Ironically the perception that GT was big was partially due to that corporate synergy, but that wasn't forever. GT couldn't be 2006-2010 forever.

And in the time since then it's been a cruel winnowing, followed by the actual hope earlier this winter with the final divorce from Viacom manifesting in the form of a new website only to be shut down.

You can't really pay a dozen salaries with Youtube unless you are getting millions of views per video. Video production is expensive, that is why Gametrailers wasn't profitable anymore.

I understand, but they are well known, they have the fans, so if they went their own ways maybe they can try to get together every week or so and just sit an review and discuss games like i said nothing too fancy, a gopro and talk. Little by little maybe their channel can become big.

I dont know maybe because they are the last of their kind i dont want it to end.

Glass

Damn, so this blows. E3 won't be the same this year, their enthusiasm was infectious and made those 3 days such a ride.

Doc_Drop

Archive team are over halfway done with the total archive!

http://tracker.archiveteam.org/gametrailers/

getting through about 10,000 items (including pages don't forget) per hour.

I'm not sure I understand what I'm looking at, is this a real-time representation of collecting and archiving that people are doing? Will it result in a website hosting the files or will it be like an archive that people would be able to download.

I understand, but they are well known, they have the fans, so if they went their own ways maybe they can try to get together every week or so and just sit an review and discuss games like i said nothing too fancy, a gopro and talk. Little by little maybe their channel can become big.

I dont know maybe because they are the last of their kind i dont want it to end.
That would be something next to a normal job then, I really doubt something like that can become a regular job in these times. If you need let's say 8 people fulltime, I think you'd need at least 30.000 in revenue a month, maybe more. Then you need all the initial investment for equipment, hosting (Youtube is free, but you can't place your own ads in front of it), technical development, travel cost, etc. And that is going into how you would even get ad revenue going or sponsor deals.

Archive team are over halfway done with the total archive!

http://tracker.archiveteam.org/gametrailers/

getting through about 10,000 items (including pages don't forget) per hour.

Neat. Will set a warrior up when i get home from work.

Do they provide the videos later on a site or something? Don´t really know about them.

Basically. It'll all be available at https://archive.org/details/archiveteam somewhere when finished.

Well, got my answer lol.

JakR

What better step into the world of neogaf than to show my respect for the gametrailers crew. :)

I really hope we see all of them again. In a perfect world they go independent and ruling on their own.

NuttSack

Thank you for stopping by and thank you for everything you ever done with GT.
When I used to listen to Invisible Walls as a teen and heard your voice, I always said to myself : " Hey, it's the car guy ".
I even remember you replying to one of my comment in the GT forums about worst Box art covers when I put a picture of the original Megaman cover.
Even through the course of the last few years I saw you replying to me about different antics that I wrote like whether we would see the Guitars shirt again.
Enjoy your honeymoon, it's a one in a lifetime experience....for some...but enjoy as much as you can.
We will be here, following you and supporting you wherever you go.
Just like F-Zero GX, you're a 10/10!

Top Bottom