• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

Shang

You can't really pay a dozen salaries with Youtube unless you are getting millions of views per video. Video production is expensive, that is why Gametrailers wasn't profitable anymore.

They'd have to be pretty scaled down, yeah. They would probably have to start making just Bosman, Huber Hype, the podcast, countdowns and streams, because they couldn't do stuff like ManUps right without a set. The podcast would probably have to be back to a room like the tiny brick one they started GT Time in. If they went for Patreon, they'd probably also have to do adrolls on the podcast and such. Not easy, not optimal, but it could work.

I just hope they get back together in some fashion, I love these guys and the work they do

wiibomb

Phew, made it to the end. I don't know how many threads I'll be able to read, but I made it through this one. Thanks to everyone who's taken the time to share your memories, from whichever era you started with the site, even if you stopped coming at some point or another.

I've always had a strong sense that God brought me to GT as there were so many varied parts of my past experience that made it a perfect fit when I came there at just the right time for a rare opening. Reading Shane's job description on craigslist was as if it was written directly for me.

In the eight and a half years that I've worked there, I've truly grown as a writer, producer, and eventually a manager. I started at GT from a background that was purely focused on Nintendo and bit by bit, I focused on pushing myself to be just as well versed with PlayStation, Xbox, and eventually PC gaming, and now I bounce between every platform just depending on what game I want to play. Somehow, I became known for my opinions on racing games, and for as long as I could find time, I put my strongest efforts into telling the stories of my favorite game soundtracks and getting composers on camera to tell their own. I still firmly believe that anyone would be hard-pressed to make better pieces on the music in the Mass Effect or BioShock series.

In the early days, Shane was the most influential in shaping my scripts, but as we grew and responsibilities shifted, I learned so much from Ryan, Justin, and Miguel. Even some of the younger writers on our editorial team like Patrick Morales and Michael Damiani were absolute legends, and we were backed up by the tireless work of Johnny Chang, Rich Brown, Megan Rugh, Matt Blair, Jamie Kohler, Kelly Campbell, Brad Winters, Bobby Burns, dang I could be listing people all night.

Safe to say, this team, these people from the last eight and half years, are family. We've been up through the night, sleeping in the office during E3 only to head back out on the show floor the next morning. We suffered together through brutal travel snafus. -- Ryan even bought us clothes once when our luggage got delayed. -- And we had some of the most amazing meals at Gamescom and TGS.

Every one of us was gutted when Shane announced his departure. Geoff stepped in briefly to set a new course while Ryan and Jeremy took the reins to lead the team on a day to day basis, lighting a fire under us to double down on great originals, birthing shows that have carried us to this day like The Final Bosman, GT Time, and Mandatory Update. As we began invading Brandon's VO booth, awkward first pushes like The Final Verdict began to prepare us to get comfortable being on-camera, but make no mistake, that foundation was laid with Shane when he started Invisible Walls and pushed us to write regular staff blogs.

Then came the purchase by Defy. Nothing left me in more shock than to learn that Ryan Stevens and Brad Winters, the men we relied on for direction, wouldn't be coming. Suddenly, Brandon had to take up his role as the founder of the site to lead the few of us selected to stay, and I found myself as the eldest member of the editorial team. Since Brandon had never really been a part of the review or preview process aside from reading scripts, I knew I had to take that weight off his back so he could focus on figuring out practically everything else.

The fact that we somehow reinvented ourselves among moving, changing our entire production pipeline, learning all new equipment and programs, and adapting to a new corporate culture is an absolute testimony to the strength of everyone who came with us. Don and Ian are editing monsters, churning out videos faster than should be possible, yet still they pushed to go beyond that and produce content of their own. Damiani, Elyse and Kyle are creative powerhouses and always kept us from accepting the status quo. Huber and Brad brought much needed enthusiasm to everything they did. Matt Blair worked tirelessly for years well into the middle of the night for far too long and has done so much that should be utterly inappropriate to ask of him. Ben Moore is one of the most fantastic and thoughtful writers imaginable and voracious in his breadth. And Brandon Jones is like a brother now, always leading us through the worst news with positivity and optimism. The dedication to daily programming, streaming, and the passion these guys had to make shows (even when I questioned their ability to fit it in) should not be taken lightly. It will be hard for any team to ever match them.

Right now I am on my honeymoon. I have no idea what's waiting for me when I get back. If the right offers come up, I could easily see myself writing or producing for another outlet, moving to a game studio, or moving outside of gaming altogether. But if someone has a realistic plan to keep this team together, I'd be a fool not to hear it out.

(sorry didn't intend to write a full history of my time at GT, it just came out)

Thank you very much for your words Blood, they are really appreciated from me.

I'm still saddened to see the team disband, I would totally follow all of you wherever you go if you make a new project.

in any case, I wish you all the best of luck.

crimilde

Banned
As far as backups go, the Archive Team are creating an archive.org compatible backup of the site and content. Anyone who is technically inclined and wants to help with the crawl can check this page.

Edit: also check out this interactive progress tracker.

3BNfdil.png

Thanks for the info. Will definitely run the VM to help out when I get back home from work.

Philippo

Think I may have to set up an Imgur account and just hoover up all the GT gifs I see and put them all in one place at some point.

Also make one of the ManUps episode where Elyse talks about Bosman slaying 7 pieces of pusehhhh

An archive of GT gis would be amazing, great idea.

Shikoba

Dang. I found out the news last night. I grew up with gametrailers and gamefaqs as my go to gaming source on the ol' dial up connection. These days I would browse it for Bosman and new trailers. Really sad to hear that GT is shutting down. No more Final Bosman :( Hope everyone at GT lands on their feet doing something they enjoy after all this.

I just found out about this. GT used to be my go-to for reviews and coverage during my college years. Their E3 2015 coverage is the stuff on legends, and the Sony conference brought me such joy to see their reactions.

Godspeed GT.

th4tguy

Has anyone put together a list of twitter handles for GT people, past and present? I'd like to actually follow these guys and gals.

kennyamr

It's Wednesday! Where is the new Final Bosman episode ;_; and where is Huber Hype ;_;
I need more Mandatory Update and GT Time as well as GT Live!
:(

Prompto

Banned
It's Wednesday! Where is the new Final Bosman episode ;_; and where is Huber Hype ;_;
I need more Mandatory Update and GT Time as well as GT Live!
:(
Now would usually be around the time I'd get out of class, buy some lunch, and sit down to watch Final Bosman :(

I still can't process that GT is gone, it doesn't make any sense. I understand that sometimes small businesses go under, but GT was gaming journalism for me. I don't follow any other sites and would check their YouTube channels every day for new content, and that's as a pretty casual gamer myself - I just cared more about their opinions and enjoyed their humour and content far more than from anywhere else.

They were by far the most visibly passionate and upbeat in the business and yet at the same time very balanced and objective, no doubt through the dynamic of the team, but this meant that there was just no contest whatsoever from other outlets in my opinion. Look at GT Time, it managed to be funny and relaxed despite being focused on actual games news that week and without being 90% anecdotes and in-jokes. They got the balance of humour and professionalism perfectly right.

It feels to me like the New York Times just got closed down, meanwhile every tabloid under the sun is still open for business. It doesn't make any sense to me, at all. It's just wrong and a blow to the industry imo.

LiK

I still can't process that GT is gone, it doesn't make any sense. I understand that sometimes small businesses go under, but GT was gaming journalism for me. I don't follow any other sites and would check their YouTube channels every day for new content, and that's as a pretty casual gamer myself - I just cared more about their opinions and enjoyed their humour and content far more than from anywhere else.

They were by far the most visibly passionate and upbeat in the business and yet at the same time very balanced and objective, no doubt through the dynamic of the team, but this meant that there was just no contest whatsoever from other outlets in my opinion.

It feels to me like the New York Times just got closed down, meanwhile every tabloid under the sun is still open for business. It doesn't make any sense to me, at all. It's just wrong and a blow to the industry imo.

I love your avy

kennyamr

They were by far the most visibly passionate and upbeat in the business and yet at the same time very balanced and objective, no doubt through the dynamic of the team, but this meant that there was just no contest whatsoever from other outlets in my opinion. Look at GT Time, it managed to be funny and relaxed despite being focused on actual games news that week and without being 90% anecdotes and in-jokes. They got the balance of humour and professionalism perfectly right.

man, this.

PaulBizkit

This sucks... A friend of mine recommended me this site back in 2007 and I loved it. Especially for the video reviews.

When Shane left, a new more-human phase started and i liked it too. Thanks to this site i started listening to podcasts like Epic Battlecry.

Such great memories.

Damn, so this blows. E3 won't be the same this year, their enthusiasm was infectious and made those 3 days such a ride.

10 years from now it should have become common parlance to say "E3 isn't E3 without GT", because last year that was exactly the case. They made is legendary status.

Right now I am on my honeymoon.

I'm still gutted at GT closing, but this is what really, REALLY got me upset when I heard that on the final stream, then saw you post via Twitter. Defy could have closed GT at any time. They could have waited, what... 1 or 2 more weeks before handing out the pink slips. But no, they have to do it while someone is on their honeymoon—a joyous occasion, forever tarnished by some corporate stiff with no conscience.

Seriously heartless.

I remember getting bad news during one of my vacations and when I think of that vacation, that gut punch feeling always accompanies those memories. Nice work, Defy. Real classy.

I promptly unsubscribed from every Defy channel I had been following. I know 1 unsubscribe means literally nothing, but I can't support actions like that.

kennyamr

Did you guys even watch the video on the post i quoted? If you did and you are still willing to miss them, i don't know what to tell you.
But please don't call me "troll". This is just my opinion.

Thank you for expressing your opinion.
Yes, we miss them all very much.
and yes, please don't tell me more.
You, however can of course express your opinion in a new different thread you can freely create, I think that would be a place where you definitely won't be confused with a troll.

Prompto

Banned
Did you guys even watch the video on the post i quoted? If you did and you are still willing to miss them, i don't know what to tell you.
Hardly anyone working at Gametrailers currently was around back then. And even then it's just a video of bad opinions mainly by Pachter. Doesn't discredit all the other stuff Gametrailers has done.

wiibomb

gonna bait...

what you saw in that video is something you will likely not understand because these people were doing almost every joke as a half inside joke, GT had an special charm of embracing internal jokes as more and more time passed in their jobs, making a lot of them even cynical.

You most likely didn't get anything because it might be the first and only video you see on GT, these jokes need more than a simple laugh, yet you compare them to... IGN? no sorry, I don't think that fits at all.

Why did you feel the need to offer your negative opinion for a thread dedicated to their leave? People lost their jobs, man. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

The other thing I will say is that video represents a very old GT. The current iteration of the staff was my favorite.

Lemonheap

Banned
Haven't been in this thread for 2 days. Have we learned anything new? After Blood's first post I'm out of the loop. Gimme the brief.

I'm still gutted at GT closing, but this is what really, REALLY got me upset when I heard that on the final stream, then saw you post via Twitter. Defy could have closed GT at any time. They could have waited, what... 1 or 2 more weeks before handing out the pink slips. But no, they have to do it while someone is on their honeymoon—a joyous occasion, forever tarnished by some corporate stiff with no conscience.

Seriously heartless.

I remember getting bad news during one of my vacations and when I think of that vacation, that gut punch feeling always accompanies those memories. Nice work, Defy. Real classy.

I promptly unsubscribed from every Defy channel I had been following. I know 1 unsubscribe means literally nothing, but I can't support actions like that.

A lesson to all of us about the corporate and financial world, a world incidentally on the brink of collapse, after which it will be important for us to remember such lessons.

Naythan

That video is pretty much solely a compilation of Shane Satterfield and Michael Pachter. Both of them have not been a part of Gametrailers for several years and didn't have any role (besides early seeds planted during Invisible Walls) in the more modern, personality-based programming that a lot of people here are mourning.

Your opinion is your opinion but just know that you seem to be really uninformed on why people are actually upset.

Top Bottom