• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

Justinh

Why did they re-review Bloodborne and give it a 10/10? What's the story behind that?

I just figured it was a joke thing that Ian wanted to do.

Ah! Well, there it is.
Ian can only see games as "the best ever" or "complete garbage"
This makes me giggle.

Sucks I missed the stream, gonna have to check the archives. I'll have to listen to exactly what Shane said, but it seems like a "well, yeah duh" thing to me. I mean, they're going to have to pay people if he was able to hire them and there aren't any ads on the site, so they'd need more subscribers to foot the bill. The community for that site is still kinda small...

yoplay

Sorry, this is the most negative cynical twisting of what Shane said that you could come up with. Sure, some of us have had personality conflicts with Shane, but he has always been genuine and always fought for us. At worst, he's overpromising because he can't guarantee that the team will want to join him.

Regardless of whether some of his remarks rub you the wrong way, everyone should watch the episode when it goes on YouTube. Goes very in-depth with the struggles at Viacom, and answers a lot of questions about why "we" didn't do certain things.It's been a long time coming, and was very glad to hear him put it out in the open.

EDIT - Sorry sentence got thrown in the wrong spot

THIS!!

Shane even talks in depth about Doritos Pope. Some of you can learn some important things about what goes on behind the things if u watch this episode when it goes up on youtube for free.

Sorry, this is the most negative cynical twisting of what Shane said that you could come up with. Sure, some of us have had personality conflicts with Shane, but he has always been genuine and always fought for us. At worst, he's overpromising because he can't guarantee that the team will want to join him.

Regardless of whether some of his remarks rub you the wrong way, everyone should watch the episode when it goes on YouTube. Goes very in-depth with the struggles at Viacom, and answers a lot of questions about why "we" didn't do certain things.It's been a long time coming, and was very glad to hear him put it out in the open.

Was there any particular reason why you guys couldn't clear the air regarding some of that stuff? Some kind of non-disclosure agreement? I'd imaging most people in this thread would rather hear it from you or the other current GT staff, unless Shane has better insight on the whole thing. I don't subscribe to SIFTD so I can't listen to it.

yoplay

Was there any particular reason why you guys couldn't clear the air regarding some of that stuff? Some kind of non-disclosure agreement? I'd imaging most people in this thread would rather hear it from you or the other current GT staff, unless Shane has better insight on the whole thing. I don't subscribe to SIFTD so I can't listen to it.

They will be putting up the episode for free on youtube soon. Keep an eye out for it.

Justinh

Hate to be a bother, but can the good PhD get a GT logo too, please?^^

This doing it for you? Want the other logo, or it placed somewhere else? Bigger?
H4h7Nb5.png

Episode is going to go up for free on YouTube, but no, none of us has the full picture that Shane has except for probably Brad Winters and maybe Ryan Stevens. Rich Brown and Matt Blair could tell you a bunch, Brent Phillips probably has loads of his own horror stories, but Shane just nails the Viacom scenario.

I think many people responding negatively to the SIFTD stream probably tuned in after I left my comment (which I did after he really finished talking about GT). The hiring stuff was in response to the Q and A after, and I would take it with a grain of salt, I think he was mostly outlining his dream of what his new site could be.

Before that, he opened up about the whole corporate backdoor shady dealings that lead to problems while GT was under his watch. Then he hammered on people who use AD block, stating that he saw the numbers before and after. It made me feel guilty.

Overall, he talked more candidly about the whole thing then anything else we are likely to hear, since the current GT crew will probably be under NDAs.

Edit: Huber got me using that phrase, but I don't mean to imply that there was corruption, just differences with the corporate overlords.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

Quoting this for a new page. The Shane-hate here is seriously overblown.

13randO

I think many people responding negatively to the SIFTD stream probably tuned in after I left my comment (which I did after he really finished talking about GT). The hiring stuff was in response to the Q and A after, and I would take it with a grain of salt, I think he was mostly outlining his dream of what his new site could be.

Before that, he opened up about the whole corporate backdoor shady dealings that lead to problems while GT was under his watch. Then he hammered on people who use AD block, stating that he saw the numbers before and after. It made me feel guilty.

Overall, he talked more candidly about the whole thing then anything else we are likely to hear, since the current GT crew will probably be under NDAs.

I feel as though the way he worded his pitch for subscribers could have definitely been taken the wrong way, though. It was more aggressive (for lack of a better word) than it needed to be, especially with nothing on the table at the time.

I am thankful that he aired out past GT headaches. People wanted an answer and he delivered.

caenix

Neo Member
Sometimes I don't agree with Shane's opinions, but have always respected his integrity and him as a journalist.

It is true that opinions can't be wrong. Different people will perceive a game differently and have different opinions. That's why each review from GT includes inputs from several members, trying to reach a common denominator.

I do not think journalists need to always have the most widely accepted opinion; what matters are the argument and thought process that lead to the final conclusion.

joms5

It may be cynical but twisting? The first thing he goes to in that video is give us money and we will "try" and bring over as many people as possible. This is without even knowing whether or not people want to come over nor whether or not the audience wants them to. I would say that's a bit overzealous to immediately turn to people who are clearly upset and emotional about the closing and then make empty promises.

And I wouldn't even say some of his remarks bother me. I think 1 remark of his bothered me. For those interested, it was when he said The Walking Dead isn't even a video game. I thought it was very unprofessional and ignorant. But the reason why I don't care for his "personality" is due to the way he treated people on podcasts. And again I only see what's on invisible walls so he could be a totally cool guy behind closed doors. But when talking about games it was a one way street. A feeling that many have echoed.

This coupled with the fact that there never was an explanation for his departure, and the remarks made by previous gt members in the past made it seem like his was a pain in the ass to work for. Again, he might have been great to work for. I don't know. I can only tell you what i've surmised from past discussions. But enough about that. Just wanted to explain myself. Not a hater, just didn't care for his hard sell.

I also recommend everyone watch the video.

Damn...... I just read this article. I don't know how Jimquisition is viewed around here--and this is the only article I think I've read from there--but what are everyone's thoughts on this??

http://www.thejimquisition.com/2016/02/gametrailers-was-a-victim-of-itself/

Is games journalism truly this fucked? Is anything not involving money these days not fucked?

Shane comments on that article, and expanded on it in the stream. Basically he claims that the real issue isn't YouTube or bottom dollar popular streamers, its lack of the commumers willingness to take tier financial responsibly seriously. While I think his view is heavily influenced by the new business model that his site is trying to pioneer, this whole think has changed the way I am thinking about my relationship to websites.

I am usually just a fly on the wall, just passing through. I don't normally comment in forums or feel like I a part of the real site community. It was different with GT, but that attachment happened over time. It is so gradual that there may never be a specific moment when you say to yourself, "hey, this is special, I need to turn off ad block, or support a Patreon." Of course after GT shuts down, I think "take my money," but I never did become a subscriber to their twitch stream.

GT was way better than an magazine I ever had and it didn't cost me a dime. Print media is hiring because so much web content is faster and free. Sites like GT can be undercut by cheaper stuff all day long, but the cheep stuff is far inferior in this case.

My take away is just that I personally need to consider my relationship with my media more carefully from now on.

Damn...... I just read this article. I don't know how Jimquisition is viewed around here--and this is the only article I think I've read from there--but what are everyone's thoughts on this??

http://www.thejimquisition.com/2016/02/gametrailers-was-a-victim-of-itself/

Is games journalism truly this fucked? Is anything not involving money these days not fucked?

Very good read and gives a good perspective on what is going on. The tide is turning and the whole Games Media market is going through an upheval due to the disruptive nature of Youtube and individual contributors being able to better compete now.

I do think the analysis is a bit harsh on the corporate management in the situation. What exactly do you expect them to do in the face of the new reality? Benevolence and loyalty to their workforce in the face of a failing business model will only hasten their demise. I don't think there is a fix. It will continue to shrink and there will be just a few handful of outlets as Youtuber's continue their rise in prominence.

The reason people are not as receptive to Shane is:
-he can be very "matter of fact", which can come off as arrogant or forcefully domineering.
-he's promising to hire people from GT and asking for our money when we have heard nothing from the GT crew we love. It looks like he's leveraging their unemployment for his gain. Not saying he is, but it makes us hesitant.

I'm very grateful for his open support and openness about GT. I don't wanna make assumptions about it right now, but I'm clinging to hope regardless.

Thanks for this thread and thanks Blood for keeping us company. =)

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Episode is going to go up for free on YouTube, but no, none of us has the full picture that Shane has except for probably Brad Winters and maybe Ryan Stevens. Rich Brown and Matt Blair could tell you a bunch, Brent Phillips probably has loads of his own horror stories, but Shane just nails the Viacom scenario.
Hey Blood, is there any way to restore IW archive with all episodes or they are lost forever? Thank god there's Youtube channel from which we can download almost all of the shows now, but IW archive is nowhere to be found unfortunately, even on the main GT site :-(

Coreda

Bro, that's the old GT. Not the new jolly GT.

I'm fond of the old GT, though not the examples from the quoted video. Bonus Round, the well written reviews (that always stayed the same), the truly superb retrospectives (ditto), and can remember the Handsome Tom era Screwattack prior to the fallout.

Manac0r

Not sure Shane is trying to profit out of GT's demise. It is most likely an emotional response. He would love to offer the crew a place at SIFTD, but cannot sustain such a model as is, but with more support and financial backing he could throw an offer on the table. I think....It was more a gut reaction rather than a scheme to get paid... At least that is what I would like to believe...so I will.

E: any kind soul care to replace my GT logo to the top left please..? Much obliged...

Bittercup

Ok i finished transferring RE2 to youtube.

Here's what I got so far:

RE2 - Full playthrough
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4qsOm_FvoZHcJq2ePjlXTDUkCEuae1Dz

RE3 - Playthrough (1/2 uploaded so far)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4qsOm_FvoZHcJq2ePjlXTDUkCEuae1Dz
Thank you very much! I archived the RE streams after twitch started deleting old videos, but missed to save RE1-3.
I'm glad that at least some of the lost videos resurface now.

E: any kind soul care to replace my GT logo to the top left please..? Much obliged...
herc3irr6g.png

Not sure Shane is trying to profit out of GT's demise. It is most likely an emotional response. He would love to offer the crew a place at SIFTD, but cannot sustain such a model as is, but with more support and financial backing he could throw an offer on the table. I think....It was more a gut reaction rather than a scheme to get paid... At least that is what I would like to believe...so I will.

Right. It just feels "off" and was probably just speaking too soon.

The fact that people might subscribe prematurely just makes it uncomfortable.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Shane was directly responding to numerous people in the chat asking/demanding that he hire the GT guys to do SIFTD content. That's his response, because he doesn't have the money to hire them without substantially more subscribers to provide capital for it. It wasn't a sales pitch, it was his answer to a question.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Are the retrospective videos on youtube for prosperity? Still my favorite content GT ever did, I used to watch them every few months

If the GT crew made their own site I could absolutely see it working - their youtube channels were growing and they have a lot of passionate fans. Even in the last 8/9 months since last E3 they have gotten a lot bigger.

Patreon could be used to get it started and once they are up and running I think they have the quality staff to continue producing great content that would sustain them and draw more fans in. It would be a real tragedy if this family splintered and scattered, and nobody wants to see that happen.

luchadork

The reason people are not as receptive to Shane is:
-he can be very "matter of fact", which can come off as arrogant or forcefully domineering.
-he's promising to hire people from GT and asking for our money when we have heard nothing from the GT crew we love. It looks like he's leveraging their unemployment for his gain. Not saying he is, but it makes us hesitant.

I'm very grateful for his open support and openness about GT. I don't wanna make assumptions about it right now, but I'm clinging to hope regardless.

Thanks for this thread and thanks Blood for keeping us company. =)

i dont like his personality. he comes across as cynical and jaded. the entire antithesis of why i like the GT crew. some people like that sort of schtick (just look at giant bomb's popularity on this site). but its not what i like about GT. GT are awesome because they are jolly, enthusiastic. they are like your happy friends that you want to hang out with because they are fun. shane is like a battle hardened oldschool journalist who knows everything and will tell you why the current situation is shit. i legit dont think ive seen him smile. honestly, if i want to watch a jaded old fuck who hates gaming i'll watch colin moriaty.

anyways. just my shit opinion about someone i've never met.

Gun Animal

inside joke, Huber's been obsessed with the fact that we've never given a 10 for months. Ian can only see games as "the best ever" or "complete garbage"

A half-joking first ever 10/10 is probably the best possible way GT could have ever gone out. The most upsetting thing about this to me is that you all didn't get any warning ahead of time to end things on your own terms, but I'm glad Ian had the chance do something dumb like that at the last minute.

Two Words

This is the difference between old GT and new GT that I really liked and I wouldn't want to change if they join SIFTD.

Old GT seemed to focus so much on the negative fan reactions. It seemed like the majority of the time they would talk about public reaction, it was to talk about how so many people had some crazy or stupid opinion. The usual "It's the internet, ofcourse they're idiots/crazy".

New GT seemed to focus on the positives of the fans. They tried to be more inclusive on the users' input and tried to focus on the better voices in that group.

It was always annoying to listen to podcasts where people constantly preached to the choir about how awful some subset of the users are.

I agree on the points made about the more recent GT.

Was fun reading Ian and Elyse's responses and genuine kind words on Mandatory Update comment sections. Was cool seeing Bloodworth and Ben explaining and discussing things in comments. Was cool seeing Kyle feature comments in episodes.

luchadork

why would they need to join another site anyways? that seems like jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire. the same old shit as before. just get that patreon up and running and we'll build our own GT with blackjack and hookers. total control.

Shane was directly responding to numerous people in the chat asking/demanding that he hire the GT guys to do SIFTD content. That's his response, because he doesn't have the money to hire them without substantially more subscribers to provide capital for it. It wasn't a sales pitch, it was his answer to a question.

I'm glad at least a couple people here are familiar with the idea of context.

Ochi

Neo Member
Everyone.

Just because Shane is in charge of siftd doesn't mean he inserts himself into every aspect of the site.

For those asking "why should the current GT go back to Shane instead of going it on their own?"

First it's important to realize it's actually expensive to start from nothing, and the current editorial staff at GT is composed of people who are not web designers.

Next is the importance of bonds and human capital.

There are several ex GT folks at siftd that have been sorely missed at GT during various stages of it's lifetime.

Consider the following:

Employment is better than unemployment

GTs "best years" involved a lot of backend support that was all laid off during first transition to defy. When bloodworth said Ian and Don are editing monsters, know that that's because they basically edited EVERYTHING on the website, audio, visual, etc.

GT was on it's way to offering it's own subscription model beyond just twitch thanks to the website being a technical offshoot of the escapist which has the escapist publisher club. That got nixed by defy before the tech staff could implement all the features of the current site.

The vast consensus is that the most glorious builds of the GT website were under Brent Phillips (Ultimatebrent) but they were left unfinished due to Brent leaving viacom owned GT. Siftd is built by Brent and is basically the ultimate form of the original GT as it offers pretty much all the features of the older GT websites and more.

I can probably think of some other good reasons, but I am inclined to agree with the wait and see what GT folks say. This is only the most apparent of the offers thrown out for then.

Top Bottom