• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

KRaZyAmmo

Totalbiscuit recently did a content patch today on GT closure and will have Kyle Bosman on the co-optional podcast on the 16th.

On mobile, can't get link sorry.

I was looking at the GT Youtube page. More than 500,000 subscribers, its a shame that translated to so few view per video.

The majority still watched the videos directly on the GT site, I believe.

Which I think (?) was better for GT? I'm not sure, they incurred bandwidth costs in that case but didn't have to split ad monies with Youtube.

Shane said their traffic levels would have kept the company viable if not for adblockers.

AAK

One of my favorite retrospectives was the Jak and Daxter one. Anyone manage to salvage that one? It was made super long ago like between 05-07.

I used to watch that one like once a week because of how well it was edited and produced.

The Twitch Chat making a day.

There's also a BringBackGT GoFundMe which is a scam, so watch out.

Dang, I really still feel like a GoFundMe is the best option at the moment, so we can focus on paying homage to the team we all loved regardless of what may come. I looked into it, and I didn't feel like there was anyway to make it legit. If someone close the the team could make a real one, I would readily donate to it!

Darturas

Neo Member
Made this, felt appropriate. Freaking gonna miss these guys...

OziGfe1J71jQk.gif

I hope his streams get archived as I may have to run out soon :(

He said he has a capture rig, but it is at his parents house out of town. He plans to get it up running soon.

Also, no subs until he sets up a partnership with twitch (sounds like a pretty basic thing).

dickroach

I've had the FF7 playthru on in the background the past few days.
just heard Ben mention this podcast, 8 4 Play. I think he summed it up as dudes from the States that moved to Japan to localize games... talking about Japanese games? whatever. never heard of it before. definitely gonna check it out later.

He said he has a capture rig, but it is at his parents house out of town. He plans to get it up running soon.

Also, no subs until he sets up a partnership with twitch (sounds like a pretty basic thing).

To get partnership you have to have a history of reliable viewership. It will definitely be a few months before a partnership happens.

RichieRich

(works for gametrailers)
So glad that Pop Fiction is being preserved. That show was really well done and seemed to have a lot of love put into it.

Does anyone know what it's fate currently is? I tweeted Damiani about this but was unsure if when he left GT if he had to sign some NDA agreement.

Does GT/Defy own Pop Fiction? Is Damiani not allowed to do them on his own?

Blood may have an idea of the ownership of these shows.

Defy owns Pop-Fiction and just about every other show. There are a couple of exceptions I believe, one of said exceptions is Annoyed Gamer, which belongs to Marcus Beer.

Success

Gold Member
I have had many great memories associated with gametrailers. I used to watch almost every video they uploaded about 5-6 years ago. I was not a fan of the more recent gametrailers but would still come back from time to time.

End of an gaming era.

velociraptor

My favourite parts of GT were World Exclusive reveals. The RE5 and GOW3 episodes were great, when we saw brand new footage of these games.

Volotaire

just heard Ben mention this podcast, 8 4 Play. I think he summed it up as dudes from the States that moved to Japan to localize games... talking about Japanese games? whatever. never heard of it before. definitely gonna check it out later.

Yep, 8-4 Play usually have a thread posted on NeoGAF everytime a new podcast is released. Their podcast is also hosted on GiantBomb, after Patrick bought them in.

Alucrid

Banned
It's a great podcast. Only one I went back and listened to all the way through. Don't expect all Japanese all the time though and you'll be fine

Top Bottom