• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

The GT staff have a unique skillset compared to many other game media outlets. For example, I wouldn't rule out them opening a video production house the way Area 5 was formed by former 1up employees. That might let them do some podcasting and streaming for fans while also doing work for hire.

Heartfyre

Even though I only had TB and BJ on in the background as I was slogging through the Zelmite Mines in Dark Chronicle, I found that podcast extremely difficult to sit through. Not my cuppa joe. Didn't get the impression from Brandon that it was his either.

With the crew's industry network and their ardent fanbase, massively successful Patreon or no, I'm confident that they'll be able to work something out, even with a smaller crew. They're a capable and creative bunch, and they've had two weeks of ruminating and private correspondence that we know nothing about. We just have to have the same kind of belief that Kyle does before a major industry event!

Hope they figure something out. Hard to believe everyone in that photo will be able to continue together full time. Financially it would be difficult, but I also imagine one or more of them is already fielding offers from other places as well. So I fully expect not to have everyone back, and some of those will be people we don't want to see separated. Excited to see how this all shakes out though, and wish all the best.

Kasper

I could see someone like Brandon dividing his time between "GT" and doing professional voice over work for commercials, etc.

Honestly, I would be fine with just a weekly podcast and then some E3/Gamescom/TGS/etc content like streams and Finale Bets.

This is pretty much what I'm looking for as well.

bengraven

After all the closures of the last ten years I'm never going to believe a gaming media site when they say "this big company that's buying us is going to IMPROVE our site".

LiK

Patreon is a good start but it won't sustain them with the amount of guys they have. I've been listening to KindaFunny podcasts and they actually talked about their business and it seems Patreon is actually not where most of their money comes from. They even said they can survive without it. So I'm guessing maybe Brandon needs to look for an investor or some other forms of sponsorship/advertising to start a new business. But I believe Brandon has the knack for it. Hope they can keep everyone but if they need to start with a small crew then so be it.

I think the GT crew was doing feelers to see what was out there. It's good to know your options. I also think Brandon has been working on something since the news came down, working connections and options from Geoff and other connections. Presented his options to the crew yesterday and if there those who had an interest it's now them taking it to the next step and really making it happening. But as they've commented many times for various KSs or other ventures it's very important to have everything worked out before you announce. Especially if you will be asking people to fund a patreon. That goodwill can turn to venom real quick if you don't have your message, plan put together.

I think they should have skyped him in. It may not be the decent thing to ask of a person, but I believe it would have been the smart thing. I don't know what was going on behind the scenes, but I find it hard to imagine a good reason to not move faster on this (unless there was just tremendous uncertainty and people didn't feel confident moving forward).

I get where you are coming from, and I understand the logistical hurdles. However, from a cold, pragmatic position, I think they should have moved quickly. I hope it is a complete non-issue and this goes swimmingly. But it makes me nervous that they let this much time pass.

It is possible that there were legal reasons for them delaying planning until after their Defy contracts ended (it sounded like they were at least being paid for the last two weeks, though I don't have confirmation).

The other important thing to realize is that most of GT's fanbase sits between the age group of 25 to 40 year olds. I've noticed this from analyzing all GT based content on youtube. I'd rather have a thousand fans in that age group (with jobs/careers etc.) than a fanbase of 10,000 tweens. One can support you where it counts where the other can't. Also, as long as they still live in L.A they can still keep doing GT content even if it's a side job for added salary.

This, and I hope it is true.

sora87

GT tried on Youtube, Twitch, their own site.

Gametrailers as a brand was too late to youtube, the name didn't help either.
Huber alone is pulling in consistently more viewers now on twitch than they ever did as GT, some of his VoDs alone have 1k+ views.

A new brand and fresh start would definitely help I feel.

UrbanRats

Huber alone is pulling in consistently more viewers now on twitch than they ever did as GT, some of his VoDs alone have 1k+ views.

A new brand and fresh start would definitely help I feel.
Also, KoF games don't have that many more views on YouTube than GT had, yet they make a ton on patreon.
The quality of each individual "customer" is more important at this point, than general popularity.
That said, I am also skeptical about the ability of 9 people to live in LA through patreon, and not college kids living on canned food, but adults with families.

I honestly feel that a siftd acquisition is on its way. I get that they have a relationship that comes from their common work on GT, but I hope they may stay as far as possible from that.

Hasney

I honestly feel that a siftd acquisition is on its way. I get that they have a relationship that comes from their common work on GT, but I hope they may stay as far as possible from that.

Why? They're a startup. They don't have that much cash to suddenly add a bunch of staff.

Even Pachter is probably doing it for free like he did for GT.

joms5

I'd pay 10/15 bucks a month just for TFB, Final Bets and GT Time

I would want to wait to see what content they produce, if it's enough, and if they can stick to a consistent schedule.

I wonder how many of the shows they can take with them? If any.

Engell

I would want to wait to see what content they produce, if it's enough, and if they can stick to a consistent schedule.

So that is like a chicken and the egg situation..
I trust them, and this will be the first thing i will support ever, if possible from day 1.

Rozart

I don't know how many of you are familiar with FarFromSubtle/VideoGamesAwesome but would the subscription model that Fraser from VGA has set up be enough to sustain the GT crew as a whole? That alongside Patreon/Youtube.

I'm so desperate for GT Time, I'm suffering through Total Biscuit just to hear Brandon Jones. This show is so wretched! Why are the shows 3 hours long?!?!?!?!?

RichieRich

(works for gametrailers)

The Viacom vs Google lawsuit is to blame for that. During the lawsuit, all Viacom properties were forbidden to use Youtube as a revenue stream and/or promotion.

joms5

So that is like a chicken and the egg situation..
I trust them, and this will be the first thing i will support ever, if possible from day 1.

Yes and No.

It really depends on what they charge. It's it affordable then I'll take a risk. But if they go the $30-$50 range i'd first like to see if there's value attached to it.

Plus I'd like to make sure all the personalities I like are there.

The amounts of times that they have slated others for the way they have announced Kickstarters and such like, there is no way they say anything until everything is in place.

They're not daft.

10 seconds into the podcast with Brandon and they're making obnoxiously long grudge noises.

"Professionals"

I tried, I swear I tried and I couldn't... such a disperse and nonsensical show..

man, how I miss GT Time

f878be9057f5f018eafedd1b7bef729b3fdfe68c.jpg

Poor, poor Brandon. And they're talking about the same Street Fighter V gripes as last week with Kyle Bosman. UGH!

th4tguy

f878be9057f5f018eafedd1b7bef729b3fdfe68c.jpg

Poor, poor Brandon. And they're talking about the same Street Fighter V gripes as last week with Kyle Bosman. UGH!

It's a sad time to be a human. People all around are showing, with their money even, just how stupid most of us are. In and out of the gaming industry.

sappyday

Can't they go the Giantbomb route? Make their own site and stuff. They have talented writers among the staff and it'll help bring more of the behind the scenes people like Don and Matt.

I could definitely see Kieghly helping them on whatever they start up, hopefully.

Why? They're a startup. They don't have that much cash to suddenly add a bunch of staff.

Even Pachter is probably doing it for free like he did for GT.

What about siftd trying to rope in all the gametrailers fans? The investment could pay off for siftd, and it's not like the gt guys have a lot of options right now, sadly they are at their cheapest.

We must be bold and we cannot waver in our faith. When the time comes, and it will, we will show them what beauty bois are made of.
We will face down oblivion, and we will scream "es tut mir leid".

This hype will not perish from the earth, and our jolliness will remain undimmed before the breaking of the world.

What about siftd trying to rope in all the gametrailers fans? The investment could pay off for siftd, and it's not like the gt guys have a lot of options right now, sadly they are at their cheapest.
Siftd can't. They don't have the revenue to do it, since they're a small startup that just launched about a year ago and rely on a subscription model, plus they don't run ads or put any of their shows on other platforms except Pachter Factor.

sora87

We must be bold and we cannot waver in our faith. When the time comes, and it will, we will show them what beauty bois are made of.
We will face down oblivion, and we will scream "es tut mir leid".

This hype will not perish from the earth, and our jolliness will remain undimmed before the breaking of the world.

Let Strength be granted so the
internet
world might be mended...

Top Bottom