• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers to close after 13 years

LiK

could they just do some video streams reviewing some current games? by the time they get back on their feet, those opinions will be old news.

Justinh

Is it safe to assume at this point that the SIFTD isn't going to be uploaded on youtube? Or did I miss it somewhere else?

They did say it'd probably go up, but I think it's probably gotten them more people trying out the site than they expected, so maybe it won't go up.

Honestly, I'd just make a 3day trial. It says "no credit card required" so I think you wouldn't have to worry about getting billed when it's up or anything like that and it's a fascinating watch for someone who followed Gametrailers since back in the day (2006ish).

luchadork

Yeh. But he says he needs money to make streaming a consistent thing then doesn't acknowledge anyone donating. I just feel he'd get more donations and would be able to give me more of the content I want if he brought more attention to the support he's asking for and the support he's getting. It feels weird as fuck to give someone money and for them not to say thanks.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
It was a website for hosting trailers of games before YouTube ever existed. What would you have called it?

Names don't have to be descriptive, especially if you have to differentiate yourself from the crowd. See Google, Apple, Amazon, Samsung... Heck, even NeoGAF isn't really descriptive anymore. Not everyone knows what GAF stands for. It's been so long. But it has more identity than simply being called "Gaming Forum".

With that said, I could understand why you would name your site with such a descriptive name if you're one of the first on the market. I don't remember how crowded the competition was back when Gametrailers appeared though. I'm gonna guess "not too crowded".

th4tguy

yup. i just want to say something though.. why doesnt huber acknowledge donations?
He's streaming through the ps4 so it doesn't tell him when he's gotten one. Once he gets a capture card and starts using OBS he'll see that stuff and can do overlays and things.

rochet

The concept worked great for many years. GT was my #1 source for Gametrailers.
I wish it would have stayed like that. I liked checking out all the new trailers of the week there.

Same, i dunno what site to go to now. Ign and gamespot don't really keep on that many trailers, and youtube I have no Idea who is a good channel.

It makes me sad to see them talking about how they are all looking for different jobs. I wouldn't get your hopes up about the crew being able to stick together. I suppose that's the way it's gotta be, realistically.
Could anyone point out the time of the stream wheree they discussed that?

sora87

The concept worked great for many years. GT was my #1 source for Gametrailers.
I wish it would have stayed like that. I liked checking out all the new trailers of the week there.

Well, they were uploading new trailers all the time, but because of the site player I had to search out most of them on youtube after finding them on gametrailers.com

ito007

yup. i just want to say something though.. why doesnt huber acknowledge donations?
Along with everyone else's responses, he also said that he sees it like a "tip jar" where each donation is a small thanks for his work. he doesn't want to seem like he's begging for money

Along with everyone else's responses, he also said that he sees it like a "tip jar" where each donation is a small thanks for his work. he doesn't want to seem like he's begging for money

And thank god for that. Streamers are so fucking annoying when they spend the majority of time with obnoxious shoutouts to subscribers and tippers every 3 seconds.

Huber's intention of streaming is to keep in touch with his fanbase, not guilt trip them into donating money.

DMiz

It makes me sad to see them talking about how they are all looking for different jobs. I wouldn't get your hopes up about the crew being able to stick together. I suppose that's the way it's gotta be, realistically.

I feel the same. When they started having the discussion about Plessus' job at EGM, and Blood was discussing about how he had his cover letter ready, I figured the immediate future was still centered on getting work no matter where it was (and not necessarily together). Which is totally understandable: they've all got families and rent to attend to.

I imagine that part of their plans is to somehow work out how they can still meet up and host a stream or podcast together, but until we hear official word - which, at this point, is still way better than nothing at all.

luchadork

And thank god for that. Streamers are so fucking annoying when they spend the majority of time with obnoxious shoutouts to subscribers and tippers every 3 seconds.

Huber's intention of streaming is to keep in touch with his fanbase, not guilt trip them into donating money.

They also make enough money to do it full time. I know Huber equated it to working at a coffee shop. But people who work in coffee shops get salaries. Also. They do say thanks when you tip them. Weirdest analogy.

All good. I'll just go with the flow from now on.

Shang

I believe Huber did a stream with pretty much all of the old GT staff on Friday, but I missed it. Does anyone know if there's any way to watch it now?

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Names don't have to be descriptive, especially if you have to differentiate yourself from the crowd. See Google, Apple, Amazon, Samsung... Heck, even NeoGAF isn't really descriptive anymore. Not everyone knows what GAF stands for. It's been so long. But it has more identity than simply being called "Gaming Forum".

With that said, I could understand why you would name your site with such a descriptive name if you're one of the first on the market. I don't remember how crowded the competition was back when Gametrailers appeared though. I'm gonna guess "not too crowded".
It was a perfect name at the time it was founded. I discovered the site in 2003 by searching for 'game trailers'.

Although you guys are right in saying that they were talking about getting jobs elsewhere, they did also indicate that they will be doing something together in the very near future. I can't remember the exact time they state this, but at one point they are discussing the library of games and how some fans have suggested they sell it to raise money but they all agree that this would be useless as they would need the games for the new business.

I still really do hope that they can keep the bulk of the team together and start a new site for themselves.

I believe Huber did a stream with pretty much all of the old GT staff on Friday, but I missed it. Does anyone know if there's any way to watch it now?

You could just go to his twitch channel and look at his archive lol he doesn't have many videos and it is the first one in the archive.

He streamed Dragon Quest VIII with Ben, Brad and Blood

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
It was a perfect name at the time it was founded. I discovered the site in 2003 by searching for 'game trailers'.

Which, again, I'm not denying. When you're essentially the pioneer, it makes sense to name yourself in such a descriptive fashion. I'm just saying that, in the long run, it can be detrimental, for 2 reasons:
- Once there are enough competitors with somewhat similar names, your identity becomes diluted
- If you ever wanna expand the range of services/stuff you do, you're screwed, which is exactly the issue with Gametrailers. They should have changed their name years ago.

I have been rewatching GTs coverage of E3 2015. I really wish they did the same for E3 2013. I would have loved to see their reactions to the Xbox conference and of course the Sony one with the shots at Xbox and FFXV/KH3 reveal. Like how they did with GT Live

Hasney

I have been rewatching GTs coverage of E3 2015. I really wish they did the same for E3 2013. I would have loved to see their reactions to the Xbox conference and of course the Sony one with the shots at Xbox and FFXV/KH3 reveal. Like how they did with GT Live

Yeah, the stuff on Spike TV was technically their coverage though. Bosman talking about E3 2014 sounds like it was far too stressful.

sora87

A former GT intern uploaded their reactions to the KH3 bomb, it's in the community thread

Hasney

Excellent! They actually ask good questions and I enjoy their podcasts. Good choice, Brandon.

Yeah, I'm not actually a fan of their podcast generally, but they let their guest talk and ask pertinent questions (unlike other podcasts) so looking forward to it!

LiK

Yeah, I'm not actually a fan of their podcast generally, but they let their guest talk and ask pertinent questions (unlike other podcasts) so looking forward to it!

I've been catching up to all their podcasts and really enjoying them. funny thing was I decided to really listen to them after GT died.

Uhyve

Did the Gametrailers guys ever do a Shenmue 1 playthrough? I'm not very used to Twitch and I can't seem to find a search function for past broadcasts/highlights.

Edit: In fact, watching the Shenmue 2 stream, they reference streaming Shenmue 1, does anyone have it archived anywhere?

Top Bottom