• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamexplain Explains the Joy-Con Desyncing Problem

i'm not buying a charging joycon grip just to get around this issue. as far as i'm concerned the charging joycon grip should've been included with the switch. nintendo are at it. apparently the dock is worth £90/$90. yeah right...they could've easily bundled the charging grip in the box. it makes no sense to have a piece of junk plastic instead of one that has a usb port/battery.

Nintendo has been filling people's living rooms and closets full of pieces of junk plastic since 2006 lol.

Lothars

The reason Nintendo hasn't said anything is because it's a tiny bubble of the Switch audience that's actually paying attention to this. If anything, it would be worse if they suddenly issued a press release that was posted everywhere saying "JOY CON PROBLEM WILL BE FIXED DON'T WORRY". Suddenly people who aren't paying attention are like "Wait, what? Problem?"

I think a lot of people are forgetting that this is happening to like, less than 50 people across the internet who have Switches already, PRE-RELEASE SWITCHES mind you (WITHOUT THE ALREADY ANNOUNCED DAY 1 FIRMWARE PATCH).

Sure you could argue that I'm being a Nintendo fanboy I guess, but I'd argue that I'm just not panicking and getting butt-crazy over what will likely be a non issue, either because it'll be fixed or because it just won't affect many people. There was already a guy either in this post or another who went to a Switch event yesterday or today who tested it (after asking the reps) and couldn't make the issue happen. Maybe the press just have an early build or something.

Y'all need to relax.
You have really no idea that this is a none issue especially considering the fact that chances are there are maybe a couple hundred switches releasd. If it's affecting 50 people than that's a significant margin. Now this won't matter at all if it can be patched but if it can't be and it's a hardware issue that is cause for concern. So yes Nintendo needs to address this but with so little switches out. it is a cause for concern.

gundalf

I have watched that video this morning and it seems the Joy-Con does not dynamically compensate the Cross-body Interference effect caused by body tissue (i.e. your hands).

So basically a software bug in the firmware where the Bluetooth stack remains stuck in low power mode, I sincerely hope Nintendo has an update feature in place for Joy-Cons.

We have video evidence that it is possible. When the Joycons are connected to the charging grip, they yield a range that is 46% better than when by themselves. This indicates when they're by themselves, they're transmitting at a far lower power level.

This is the only thought I could come to as well. If the joycons are operating in some kind of low-power mode, and are therefore more prone to losing signal, there's a certain sense to that.

If that's the case, it seems like something Nintendo could fix with a patch then, turning up the low power mode, or removing it entirely, though I also imagine that would change battery life estimates.

Mohonky

Something the Giantbomb guys commented on, when the joycons are connected to the Switch. They are still technically operating wirelessly. I wonder if they arent coming off a low power mode when being disconnected?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Something the Giantbomb guys commented on, when the joycons are connected to the Switch. They are still technically operating wirelessly. I wonder if they arent coming off a low power mode when being disconnected?

Are they? Because the joycons still work in the airplane mode when attached.

Mohonky

Are they? Because the joycons still work in the airplane mode when attached.
Well there are no connectors on the joycons from what I can see to pass a signal through, they have 2 buttons and the LED, but no physical connector to pass a signal by the look of it, so they would have to be? Need a close up

The theory of it being a software problem seems most likely to me. Whether they can fix it with a system update is another thing entirely, but one would assume so. Water molecules absorb 2.4 GHz radio quite well, so to compensate for this you need more power. It seems that this is not working reliably in either Joy-Con at the moment.

Well there are no connectors on the joycons from what I can see to pass a signal through, they have 2 buttons and the LED, but no physical connector to pass a signal by the look of it, so they would have to be? Need a close up
They can charge, why can't they work the opposite way too? There has to be some sort of communication to establish the sync when you rail them on.

Mohonky

The theory of it being a software problem seems most likely to me. Whether they can fix it with a system update is another thing entirely, but one would assume so. Water molecules absorb 2.4 GHz radio quite well, so to compensate for this you need more power. It seems that this is not working reliably in either Joy-Con at the moment.

What frequency does bluetooth operate in?

Edit. 2.4ghz, so going through objects at that distance shouldnt be a problem uless they are running really really low power.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Of course there are connectors to the Switch. The Joycons charge from the Switch and work while in Airplane mode.

Man, waiting for an official answer is excruciatingly more difficult than waiting for the Switch itself at the moment.

This. We know nothing about the cause of the issue. We don't know wether it's software or hardware. We don't if it can be fixed by a firmware update. We don't even know if Nintendo acknowledges the issue. On their side everything may be functioning as planned and they just overlooked the fact that japanese living-rooms are smaller than in other regions of the globe.

We know fucking zip and Nintendo won't say anything until launch for fear of exposing the issue more to the casual audience.

dose

The reason Nintendo hasn't said anything is because it's a tiny bubble of the Switch audience that's actually paying attention to this. If anything, it would be worse if they suddenly issued a press release that was posted everywhere saying "JOY CON PROBLEM WILL BE FIXED DON'T WORRY". Suddenly people who aren't paying attention are like "Wait, what? Problem?"

I think a lot of people are forgetting that this is happening to like, less than 50 people across the internet who have Switches already, PRE-RELEASE SWITCHES mind you (WITHOUT THE ALREADY ANNOUNCED DAY 1 FIRMWARE PATCH)..
Nice try at playing it down,
Yep, pre-release Switch's that Nintendo themselves were happy to send out with this problem (or oblivious to the fact).

Also, 'less then 50 people' because it isn't even launched yet, so I imagine the percentage of those with issues and those without is quite high.

according to Stephen Totilo at kotaku nintendo is aware of the issue and they are looking into it

http://kotaku.com/minor-update-pr-for-nintendo-tells-me-that-the-company-1792726588

nice to hear something about it hopefully its just a bad batch of joy cons

A bad batch? These have to be the end product. It's not like they're sending out unfinished models to press or pre-consumer models. As someone who spent the ridiculous amount on an extra set of Joy-cons and a charge grip (Even with the Visa checkout offer) I'll be pretty pissed off if this is a consistent issue. I'm not going to just go "oh well, I'll just spend an extra $70 for a Pro controller" either because that's absolutely ridiculous. Hopefully they push a firmware update that fixes the issue prior to launch, or I'll likely cancel my extra peripheral orders, and then later demand my Joy-cons that came with my system are replaced. I doubt they would though. How does something like this get through Q/A I wonder.

NoPiece

Of course there are connectors to the Switch. The Joycons charge from the Switch and work while in Airplane mode.

^^ What KingSnake said. Charging = physical connection. There is a small overhang on the bottom of the rail. I'm sure there are contacts there that connect when it slides into place.

Just watched the siftd twitch and shane said that his left joycon doesnt work AT ALL at home. He had to play entirely in handheld mode.

It does work at the office the stream was filmed at though.

They sold me on the switch as a handheld actually, probably wont ever plug it into the TV.

A bad batch? These have to be the end product. It's not like they're sending out unfinished models to press or pre-consumer models. As someone who spent the ridiculous amount on an extra set of Joy-cons and a charge grip (Even with the Visa checkout offer) I'll be pretty pissed off if this is a consistent issue. I'm not going to just go "oh well, I'll just spend an extra $70 for a Pro controller" either because that's absolutely ridiculous. Hopefully they push a firmware update that fixes the issue prior to launch, or I'll likely cancel my extra peripheral orders, and then later demand my Joy-cons that came with my system are replaced.m I doubt they would though. How does something like this get through Q/A I wonder.

its not effecting every joycon European outlets are saying they dont have the issue and today in gamespots livestream they said it never happened. Hopefully it can be fixed with a firmware update at the cost of a little battery life. i'm right there with you i have spent almost 900 dollars on this system for launch and im praying mine are fine in the setup i will be playing it in.

mcmudman

Neo Member
Im led to believe that Pre-Release Hardware units don't have access to the Day 1 update yet. News outlets already confirmed that the Day 1 update will enable the microSDHC slot on the system. I'm not entirely sure if reviewers have access to the Switch's Day 1 update or Zelda's Day 1 update just yet. But the system isn't even out, there's no need to panic right now. Things like this can happen during previews of new hardware. Is this a software or hardware issue, well who knows until March 3rd!! Well actually, Nintendo does! But they haven't been saying much. They need to be more *cough* Direct?!?!

I think a lot of people are forgetting that this is happening to like, less than 50 people across the internet who have Switches already, PRE-RELEASE SWITCHES mind you (WITHOUT THE ALREADY ANNOUNCED DAY 1 FIRMWARE PATCH).

Sure you could argue that I'm being a Nintendo fanboy I guess, but I'd argue that I'm just not panicking and getting butt-crazy over what will likely be a non issue, either because it'll be fixed or because it just won't affect many people. There was already a guy either in this post or another who went to a Switch event yesterday or today who tested it (after asking the reps) and couldn't make the issue happen. Maybe the press just have an early build or something.

Y'all need to relax.

It really wasn't that long ago that lots of people here and elsewhere jumped on Giant Bomb for having the gall to suggest the tracking for PSVR was far from perfect when few (if any) other outlets reported such an issue. Now it is an acknowledged shortfall of the platform. All we can do is wait, see, and be cautious.

It is a poor idea to not publicly acknowledge the problem, regardless of whether or not there is currently a solution.

Which is exactly why they're not doing it.

drotahorror

Im led to believe that Pre-Release Hardware units don't have access to the Day 1 update yet. News outlets already confirmed that the Day 1 update will enable the microSDHC slot on the system. I'm not entirely sure if reviewers have access to the Switch's Day 1 update or Zelda's Day 1 update just yet.

That'll definitely the fix the issue, the microSDHC slot activation.

If a day 1 update was planned to fix this connectivity issue, maybe Nintendo should have sent a note along with all the press consoles that that's a current problem that will be fixed with the day 1 update. Besides the SD card and some online features no one knows what this 'day 1 update' will also provide if anything at all.

Fredrik

It is a poor idea to not publicly acknowledge the problem, regardless of whether or not there is currently a solution.

Which is exactly why they're not doing it.
Maybe it's not fixable and they're betting that not all that many will notice the problem post-launch or hearing about it pre-launch. :/
Wouldn't surprise me if they're thinking that an official response to the concern would do more harm than good unless they say that the issue will be gone after downloading the day 1 patch.

Not sure how they should tackle this if it's widespread and not fixable tbh. Postpone the launch? Launch it broken and recall everything after enough users complain about it? Replace the joycons only? Pretend that nothing is wrong and launch a joycon+ later with a stealth fix while talking about some other added feature?

The Thnikkaman

Neo Member
Really? Even though I'll probably be doing over 90% of my gaming with the Pro Controller I'd be pretty mad if one of the more expensive parts of the product didn't work as intended.

Nintendo tends to be excellent about replacing faulty consoles/equipment. If for whatever reason they can't update the JoyCon Firmware (Seems unlikely to me, I'd have to think they've got a Bluetooth bootloader in there to do so), or it's a hardware issue, I'm sure they'll immediately send out replacements.

Since I have a pro controller already ordered, worst case for me is I use that instead of the joycon to play Zelda. I'm not picking up 1-2 Switch so the loss of a joycon for a bit is NBD for me.

If for whatever reason they can't solve this via firmware update, it's gonna really suck for people that don't have a pro controller while they're shipping out replacements.

Fredrik

Nintendo tends to be excellent about replacing faulty consoles/equipment. If for whatever reason they can't update the JoyCon Firmware (Seems unlikely to me, I'd have to think they've got a Bluetooth bootloader in there to do so), or it's a hardware issue, I'm sure they'll immediately send out replacements.
Have they had to deal with full recalls previously though?

Glass Joe

Seems weird to me that only the press have Switches and we don't have clear answers. For example, why isn't there a member of the press who claims there are no issues and could do a GameXplain style replication to prove it. That would reassure me that there would just be a bad batch instead of a fundamental problem with the technology.

I mean, it's not like it's their job to review product or anything... Seems like every game journalist would be taking this to task for HARDWARE REVIEWS.

Seems weird to me that only the press have Switches and we don't have clear answers. For example, why isn't there a member of the press who claims there are no issues and could do a GameXplain style replication to prove it. That would reassure me that there would just be a bad batch instead of a fundamental problem with the technology.

I mean, it's not like it's their job to review product or anything... Seems like every game journalist would be taking this to task for HARDWARE REVIEWS.

when i watched the hour long gamespot stream about Switch/Zelda impressions....they mentioned the joycon problem, and said that they hadn't experienced it. They didn't know till they read about it online like everyone else

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
when i watched the hour long gamespot stream about Switch/Zelda impressions....they mentioned the joycon problem, and said that they hadn't experienced it. They didn't know till they read about it online like everyone else

That doesn't mean their hardware doesn't have the issue though. Just that they hadn't used them in conditions where the problem presented itself. It seems everyone that's tried to reproduce the problem has been able to.

Glass Joe

Did they try to replicate it? GameXplain's problems are easily reproducible.

mcmudman

Neo Member
Nintendo is aware of the issue. If they publicly said anything that would make it appear as a real issue. Which can be very negative PR for a launch. Especially if its not an actual issue! This is pre-release hardware. Wait until launch to come to conclusions or reactions. I'll be mad if the joycons don't work and will return it. I'll be happy if I never see that issue after I update zelda and my switch with their day 1 patches. Either way, wait until March 3rd. It hasn't launched yet.

Z O N E

Y'all need to relax.

I think YOU'RE forgetting the console is not even out yet, so that "tiny bubble" is actually pretty damn big.

mcmudman

Neo Member
I think YOU'RE forgetting the console is not even out yet, so that "tiny bubble" is actually pretty damn big.

Some people at the preview events haven't seen that problem there at all. The "Unexpected Places" PR tour is still happening. In fact, they've only had one event. The launch is in a week. There's hardware for reviewers that isn't updated yet and hardware at events that haven't shown the issue yet. No need to acknowledge it this close to launch if its not a real issue. Everyone needs to relax and wait until it's either in your own hands during March 3rd. But if you value the opinion of reviewers or people at tours then I totally understand where youre coming from but at least wait until it's in the hands of the mass consumer before we have a meltdown. A meltdown is the last thing they want this close to launch. So just relax and wait the week guys! We don't know if it's good or bad until it launches and how it does afterwards.

Resilient

Some people at the preview events haven't seen that problem there at all. The "Unexpected Places" PR tour is still happening. In fact, they've only had one event. The launch is in a week. There's hardware for reviewers that isn't updated yet and hardware at events that haven't shown the issue yet. No need to acknowledge it this close to launch if its not a real issue. Everyone needs to relax and wait until it's either in your own hands during March 3rd. But if you value the opinion of reviewers or people at tours then I totally understand where youre coming from but at least wait until it's in the hands of the mass consumer before we have a meltdown. A meltdown is the last thing they want this close to launch. So just relax and wait the week guys! We don't know if it's good or bad until it launches and how it does afterwards.

pretty much. good thing this thread has been falling off the front page, so the posters who were turning red in the face chanting "NINTENDO ARE DOOMED" aren't getting their way anymore. the non-response from nintendo is 100% confirmation that they're gonna rectify whatever the problem is with a firmware update.

why bring it up now if they're gonna fix it in a week? just let the hate run it's course and update the thing. tiny bubble ma bros.

M_A_C

I'm not the most pro-Nintendo guy in the world, but have they ever left their customers' asses hanging in the wind when it comes to a major hardware malfunction?

Maybe not, but I have a feeling it won't be seen as a malfunction, just a limitation, like the PSVR stutter/tracking.

Top Bottom