• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Gaming Habits of Teenage Girls (and Boys)" - SHOCKING STATS [video]

extralite

He didn't deny anything, he pointed to the chart he was drawing his conclusion from, and you jumped straight to a mocking tone instead of trying to make an argument without hostility.

If you ignore part of the data to suit your view, then you're ignoring. If you don't admit to it when it is pointed out to you, you're denying.

And I don't appreciate to be told to stop when I'm truthful and be accused of being hostile when I'm also just truthful. If you can't admit the truth, how do you want to discuss something?

Mesoian

If you ignore part of the data to suit your view, then you're ignoring. If you don't admit to it when it is pointed out to you, you're denying.

And I don't appreciate to be told to stop when I'm truthful and be accused of being hostile when I'm also just truthful. If you can't admit the truth, how do you want to discuss something?

You're not being truthful, you're being bearish and opinionated.

And yes, there is a difference.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
Well, opposed to not having it I mean. How it's offered is irrelevant as long as people aren't forced.

And to be fair, MK10 seems to do a good job of that.

Yeah, but after thinking about it the free DLC route might not even be that bad. At least I could see MK10 being criticized for making the default outfits skimpy, but if they then made them unlockables ingame they'd effectively fall back to offering sexualization as a reward. Neutral option would be to to have both unlocked from the start, I guess.

I just didn't like the notion that they somehow have to be separate "products" (even though one is free) to be honest.

Mesoian

Truth is easy to show. You're not even trying. Try actual arguments instead of claims. Quote and show fault.

I mean, as multiple people have explained, your entire hypothesis is based on trusting that an 11 year old understands the concept of slut shaming and has an agenda against artistic freedom. The black and white nature you're taking with words from a child is hurting your argument by default.

I mean, I get what you're trying to say, but you're skirting awfully close to "SJW's killed Saturday Morning Cartoons" level arguing here.

extralite

I mean, as multiple people have explained, your entire hypothesis is based on trusting that an 11 year old understands the concept of slut shaming and has an agenda against artistic freedom. The black and white nature you're taking with words from a child is hurting your argument by default.

You can slut shame without knowing what that is. Once you know what slut shaming is, you should stop doing it. So saying he doesn't understand the concept doesn't necessitate that he isn't doing it.

Also, I stated that he probably just repeats what he heard. Also evident in his faulty application of some arguments.

And again, you don't quote me because it is so much easier to claim me to be wrong when you don't actually reply to what I say instead making things up and argue with something I never even said.

Mesoian

You can slut shame without knowing what that is. Once you know what slut shaming is, you should stop doing it. So saying he doesn't understand the concept doesn't necessitate that he isn't doing it.

Also, I stated that he probably just repeats what he heard. Also evident in his faulty application of some arguments.

And again, you don't quote me because it is so much easier to claim me to be wrong when you don't actually reply to what I say instead making things up and argue with something I never even said.

I didn't quote you because I've already quoted your argument several times. You can just press the previous page button to see my argument restated and you ignoring other people's quite sensible counterpoints.

And, AGAIN, there is a fundamental difference between Slut Shaming and criticising the costumes in a game. It's actually is fairly difficult to take a woman going to a fight in the Venus bikini from DOA5 seriously. And your argument that rights and wants of fictional women, written by men for men, should be respected and embraced because "what if a woman wants to dress that way one day for reasons" is silly, relies on unrealistic hypotheticals, and completely locks common sense and cultural practices in the closet. Literally, your argument hinges on this child's somewhat naive statement of,
" I just thought it's kind of polluting young kids' brains to think this is how they should dress. Like, this is how women will dress everywhere."

Your argument has been parrotting that very statement. "Don't mock or criticize these game characters because someone might want to emulate their appearance one day".

From HAWP to this, she's been pretty cool as a geek figure much like Felicia Day or Wil Wheaton.

She decided to get serious when the shit hit the fan. Interested to see what she does in the future.

UGH

comic sans

it doesn't matter though. it'll just be yet another study to show people the obvious (girls love games), but it's still TOO RISKY TO MAKE GAMES FER EM GUYS.

whatever, industry. the market is there, it's your loss. someone's gonna come in and make a killing by doing it right by women.

The article actually points out the opposite. Games as they are now are universally appealling and the sexism in games is universally unappealing.

There is no need to specialize games for gender, just cut down on the objectification.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You can slut shame without knowing what that is. Once you know what slut shaming is, you should stop doing it.
But he was not slut-shaming. Stop repeating this as if it were fact. It's 100% wrong and you've already been explained why. That you persist in this fallacy only makes you look disingenuous.

Crocodile

I consider these results pretty unsurprising and encouraging :)

I feel a few of the questions, if worded differently, though might have produced different answers. Like nobody would straight up say "I want more sex objects in my games" because they would sound like a giant asshole if they did. However if you were to ask say "which of these designs you prefer" that a lot more answers would trend towards the "classically attractive".

With regards to "that's not what somebody would realistically wear" I feel that matters less and less the more fantastical the universe is. Similar to superheroes and such, a buttoned up shirt or kevlar matters a lot less when you can shoot laser beams out of your hands or eyes :p

The issue with Mortal Kombat, which is what I think it being commented here in a kind of indirect way, is that ALL the female characters are of the "trashy sexy" mold. Like, as an example, I think most people of either gender don't really have too much of an issue with say Mai Shuranai or Angel from the King of Fighters series but if EVERY female from KOF looked like them there would be a lot more complaining. In Mortal Kombat ALL the females are "sexy" and they are all "sexy" in the same way ("trashy sexy"). It's kind of an overload so to speak.

extralite

I didn't quote you because I've already quoted your argument several times. You can just press the previous page button to see my argument restated and you ignoring other people's quite sensible counterpoints.

You know, I repeated and requoted myself quite a bit because apparently it was hard to see. You don't and instead retell further getting away from what was actually said.

I don't want to repeat myself anymore, just be aware that you don't prove someone wrong by incorrectly restating their posts. If you make a claim, deliver proof. If you think you already did, requote or at least link. Like I did.

But he was not slut-shaming. Stop repeating this as if it were fact. It's 100% wrong and you've already been explained why. That you persist in this fallacy only makes you look disingenuous.

Same to you. If you think you made a good point, feel free to quote it.

Phawx

There is some questionable leaps of logic happening in this thread. Let's not forget the burden of proof fellas.

Unless we all just want to argue about our opinions?

berzeli

Banned

I find it quite interesting to see you take such umbrage with a concept which you so clearly don't understand. Slut-shaming has a very specific definition; "In human sexuality, slut-shaming is the act of making, or attempting to make, a person, especially a woman or girl, feel guilty or inferior for certain sexual behaviors, circumstances, or desires that deviate from traditional or orthodox gender expectations, or that which may be considered to be contrary to natural or religious law." (thank you wikipedia) It has less to do with clothing and a lot more to do with behaviour. So criticising a fictional characters outfit is not slut-shaming, however, assuming that wearing revealing clothing makes a woman behave in a certain way is. You are also the one conflating his comment about dignity with sex, thus ironically being the one making the negative connotation to sex. You make assertions based on you interpretation of what he is saying and frankly those interpretations aren't grounded in reality.

Yes, there is a puritanical attitude towards sex in america, and yes games mostly don't deal well with sex (at all). A twelve year old, correctly pointing out that the outfits given to certain female characters makes fuck-all sense given their context is not part of those two issues as such and he sure as hell isn't slut-shaming anyone. Stop being ridiculous.

Mesoian

You know, I repeated and requoted myself quite a bit because apparently it was hard to see. You don't and instead retell further getting away from what was actually said.

I don't want to repeat myself anymore, just be aware that you don't prove someone wrong by incorrectly restating their posts. If you make a claim, deliver proof. If you think you already did, requote or at least link. Like I did.

And now you are simply walking away without ever actually proving your "truth" because YOU don't want to quote posts.

GG.

I think people are getting caught up on the comments made by the kids. Their inclusion wasn't because of some profound wisdom that everyone needs to hear, rather they were just examples of how kids view characters in skimpy clothing. It makes a lot of girls uncomfortable, and it makes a lot of boys lose respect for those characters.

Mesoian

I think people are getting caught up on the comments made by the kids. Their inclusion wasn't because of some profound wisdom that everyone needs to hear, rather they were just examples of how kids view characters in skimpy clothing. It makes a lot of girls uncomfortable, and it makes a lot of boys lose respect for those characters.

And that's really the point here. These are the opinions of children, not people well versed in all things sexism. They're just saying what comes off the cuff, and unsurprisingly, it mirrors a lot of statements said by people who have not traditionally played games "the girls are wearing super creepy outfits, why would they even do that, I'm not gonna bother" or " I wouldn't be caught dead playing this game in front of my girlfriend/wife/daughter".

Nothing in the OP seems particularly crazy, pointed, or offensive.

And yet...Slut shaming.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Same to you. If you think you made a good point, feel free to quote it.
It was right here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=159980254&postcount=188
I said:
There is nothing undignified about a woman dressing skimpily... at the beach, in her home, in the bedroom, at a party, and so on.

But there is definitely something undignified about going into combat while dressed in nothing but a bra*, thong and high heels. And that's why this boy is saying these scantily clad women warriors have no dignity by being designed liked that. Because it's true.

Also berzeli's post right above which thoroughly debunks your assertions.

PtM

Banned
I kinda wonder if Theo is just saying this because he thinks he's expected to have these opinions, or if he really believes this. It's hard for people to be their true selves when put in a spotlight.

I'm not sure self-reported stuff like this really works for some bits. Like the "sex object" stuff - people are going to give the answers that make them look better, but a bunch of them probably go and play that Kate Upton game anyway.
I also don't really like the way this question was worded, how about asking them if they wanted more attractive girls in games? Who is going to publicly say yes they want women to be sex objects in games?
Yes, I don't think this questionaire dug up an actually representative result. Behavioral studies or at least more subtle questions would have been necessary.
Body shaming.
Nope. If you're fetching that far, try "tit shaming".
Or "sexualization shaming".

Mortal Kombat 3, DOOM, and Prince of Persia were some of my first videogames I played as a kid. Parents didn't care back then, they probably don't even now. As long as they know their kid can distinguish reality from super cartoonish fantasy violence. Shit, my 8 year old cousin's dad has let him play Call of Duty, Hitman Absolution, and a few other pretty violent games. He always tells me that each time so I can let him play mature rated games lol like Shadow of Mordor or Bloodborne.
And what's your reaction to that?
Most of the stuff I've seen centered around Cassie, Sonya and Jax's daughter, and I don't doubt that there'll be stuff in the game that's super crazy.

But like, imagine if half the women in MK didn't dress in swimsuits. Imagine how that would shift the visual tone of the game. That seems to be what MK10 is trying to do. And hell, if people want their super skimpy outfits, let it be free DLC. Let's give the people some options!

Why make it free DLC, though? Just having the costume including others already gives you the option.
Yeah, why make it free, hehe?
My points were that he is mixing up fantasy and reality, and that he is slut shaming. I showed both. You need to work on your reading comprehension, really. Instead of distracting from the points you supposedly want to argue with.
With your argumentation, there is no critical reception that couldn't count as slut-shaming.

extralite

I find it quite interesting to see you take such umbrage with a concept which you so clearly don't understand. Slut-shaming has a very specific definition; "In human sexuality, slut-shaming is the act of making, or attempting to make, a person, especially a woman or girl, feel guilty or inferior for certain sexual behaviors, circumstances, or desires that deviate from traditional or orthodox gender expectations, or that which may be considered to be contrary to natural or religious law." (thank you wikipedia)

Theo: "Yeah, a lot more. I would definitely respect the character a lot more for like having some dignity." [<- slut shaming]

He explicitly says he is disrespecting women based on lack of dignity. That is the very definition of slut shaming.
He claims lack of dignity, that causes feelings of guilt (over a supposed moral shortcoming). He disrespects women based on that lack, expressing a gender expectation. Your quote shows that I'm using the term according to definition. Sorry, try again.

With your argumentation, there is no critical reception that couldn't count as slut-shaming.
Please give an example of non slut shaming that is slut shaming according to me.

You don't really address what I say though.

Mesoian

He claims lack of dignity, that causes feelings of guilt (over a supposed moral shortcoming). He disrespects women based on that lack, expressing a gender expectation. Your quote shows that I'm using the term according to definition. Sorry, try again.

Yes, it causes fictional women written by men feelings of guilt. Are you serious?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

I think I understand the spirit of what you are trying to convey here, but I'm not really sure there's enough content to actually back it up.

Yes, it causes fictional women written by men feelings of guilt. Are you serious?

I don't think the argument is so much that a collection of ones and zeroes can be "shamed" but that the young man making the comment may be using the same ideas in real life.

Mesoian

I don't think the argument is so much that a collection of ones and zeroes can be "shamed" but that the young man making the comment may be using the same ideas in real life.

Which, again, coming from the mouth of an ELEVEN YEAR OLD, is a pretty big fucking maybe.

Blanquito

This is a great survey and great findings.

With that said, I don't think I want to get involved with the comments here... I'm going to slowly back away now

And what's your reaction to that?
Nothing. He can handle those kind of games at an earlier age than expected based on ratings. Kids are often underestimated in what they can handle in terms of media anyway. It's not like it's easy to stop kids from playing them, the parents can just buy it for them from the store without needing an ID check. It really depends on the relationship between the parent and the kid of whether it turns out to be a good or bad thing.

extralite

You mean what he says only applies to fictional women and he wouldn't have the same opinion about real women, even though he connects both and discusses fictional women as role models?

Mesoian

You mean what he says only applies to fictional women and he wouldn't have the same opinion about real women, even though he connects both and discusses fictional women as role models?

You're assuming a lot about this child. With your mindset on this, anyone who finds an outfit to be distasteful is accused of slutshaming and bashing women in general. And his statement comparing the characters in question as role models has far more to do with the mindset of coming ill-equipped to an appropriate situation than it does anything to do with one's taste in fashion.

Gnilres

I think it's stupid to think you can make games "for boys" or "for girls". Any game can appeal to any person.

There's no doubt that many female characters are highly sexualized, but some girls may either not care or even PREFER female characters to look like that. (Don't burn me om a cross, I have seen lot's of examples of women who defend sexualized characters). The most common defense is people enjoy playing an idealized version of themselves.

At the same time, as a male, I can enjoy all sorts of games too. Thinking about games as for a specific gender only limits me. It's like people who don't play Mario because it's "for kids".

berzeli

Banned

No i'm not going to "try again" because at this point you have shown yourself to completely dismiss any other interpretations of his words which doesn't 100% match up with yours as untrue. You as I previously stated are the one who is conflating his comment about dignity with sex, you are the one who still doesn't understand what slut shaming is, you are the one who don't understand media vs reality and his comments on those and you are the one who is making some pretty fucking disgusting allegations towards a child based on nothing more than your faulty sense of logic.

Really, your display in this thread is making me want to reach out David Dunning and Justin Kruger and ask them to rename a particular something in your honor.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member

Somewhat nitpicky and overall I agree with you, but I don't think the author's gender really matters. After all, if Ed Boon (or whoever created those characters) was female and everything else about MKX just the same we would likely be having the same argument. And no, I don't mean to counter any of the claims made about the sexualization itself, it's just a trend I've seen (especially used to defend Bayonetta as if the character designer being female means everything's fine.)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I think it's stupid to think you can make games "for boys" or "for girls". Any game can appeal to any person.

There's no doubt that many female characters are highly sexualized, but some girls may either not care or even PREFER female characters to look like that. (Don't burn me om a cross, I have seen lot's of examples of women who defend sexualized characters). The most common defense is people enjoy playing an idealized version of themselves.

At the same time, as a male, I can enjoy all sorts of games too. Thinking about games as for a specific gender only limits me. It's like people who don't play Mario because it's "for kids".

We don't need to burn you on a cross because here are the actual statistics around your claims
i2OoNYDXcSACb.png

ixnQOYngRJyR1.png

So...roughly 50% of girls would like to play as a girl more often, roughly 50% of girls don't particularly care, and the majority of girls think that there are too many sexually objectified women in games

PtM

Banned
Please give an example of non slut shaming that is slut shaming according to me.
How about you give a case of criticised sexualisation which isn't slut-shaming? I reckon that would speed up things immensely.
Well girls like someone like Glados, who can actually speak and has a hilarious personality. Maybe Valve should make more games with talking protagonists.
Why protagonists? I dislike games taking away control for cutscenes and stuff.
You make a claim, you're the one who has to prove it.
My claim is non-existence. How the fuck am I supposed to prove that?

extralite

You as I previously stated are the one who is conflating his comment about dignity with sex
I'm not. He has issues with the sexualized clothing and says the opposite would be dignified clothing. So sex is the origin from which he arrives at dignity.

Theo: "This game, it's called Mortal Kombat. I really like it, but I notice a lot of the female characters are wearing very scantily clad clothing which doesn't make any sense because if you're playing a videogame like that, you expect everybody to be armored because it's a fighting game! If these girls are dressed how we think we they should be dressed, objectified like this, it just defeats the entire purpose of wearing armor. I just thought it's kind of polluting young kids' brains to think this is how they should dress. Like, this is how women will dress everywhere."

Rosalind: "And Theo, if you had a female character that was dressed in the kind of armor that you want to see, would you want to play as that character?"

Theo: "Yeah, a lot more. I would definitely respect the character a lot more for like having some dignity."

, you are the one who still doesn't understand what slut shaming is
I applied the Wikipedia definition (quoted by you) to show that he is in fact slut shaming.

, you are the one who don't understand media vs reality and his comments on those and you are the one who is making some pretty fucking disgusting allegations towards a child based on nothing more than your faulty sense of logic.
If MK tells women to dress like that it tells people to kill each other. BTW, he only dislikes the sexualized clothes, not the violence.

I think he has a problem linking MK with reality. I hope he understands he shouldn't maim people. So why does he expect women to dress like that because of a game?

How about you give a case of criticised sexualisation which isn't slut-shaming? I reckon that would speed up things immensely.

So...roughly 50% of girls would like to play as a girl more often, roughly 50% of girls don't particularly care, and the majority of girls think that there are too many sexually objectified women in games
60% is a whole unit of tens more than 50% and is the majority, as opposed to 50% which isn't. It's worth noting the percentage rises with age.

RawNuts

Theo: "This game, it's called Mortal Kombat. I really like it, but I notice a lot of the female characters are wearing very scantily clad clothing which doesn't make any sense because if you're playing a videogame like that, you expect everybody to be armored because it's a fighting game! If these girls are dressed how we think we they should be dressed, objectified like this, it just defeats the entire purpose of wearing armor. I just thought it's kind of polluting young kids' brains to think this is how they should dress. Like, this is how women will dress everywhere."

Rosalind: "And Theo, if you had a female character that was dressed in the kind of armor that you want to see, would you want to play as that character?"

Theo: "Yeah, a lot more. I would definitely respect the character a lot more for like having some dignity."
I wonder if Theo is speaking from the heart here, or if he is just saying what he thinks is expected of him. While it seems like a mature take on the subject matter, he might be simply trying to emulate what he has heard on the matter from people he respects.
The armor comment seems odd though because many of the male characters fight shirtless anyway.

Wonder how Gaters will react to this. Well most likely poop slinging since they are uneducated monkeys
I was linked here from a pro-GG thread and they're mostly calling it reasonable and a good read.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member

I don't think they wanted it as "proof." We're just trying to get a better understanding of what you consider to be slut-shaming and what not, because, as others have pointed it out, there doesn't seem to be a way of criticizing sexuality without slut-shaming for you.

Actually I'm not assuming anything. I stay very close to what he actually says. All my claims are evident in the quotes, I'm not adding anything that isn't already there.

But you are misinterpreting what he said.
And I just ask a female friend with large chest size, and yes I saw her in bodycon dresses before so she is not your "prude". And you know what? She find the same thing(game with sancity clad women in push-up bra so her breast look larger and bounce more obvious) disturbing. Are you suggesting that she's trying to bodysham herself?

I wonder if Theo is speaking from the heart here, or if he is just saying what he thinks is expected of him. While it seems like a mature take on the subject matter, he might be simply trying to emulate what he has heard on the matter from people he respects.

The armor comment seems odd though because many of the male characters fight shirtless anyway.

Anecdotal, but as somebody who spends a lot of time in classrooms, I can say I'm surprised by how often young teens and preteens hold ideas like Theo's. And a lot of the time, when expressing themselves, they do use other people's language to support their own beliefs. This is simply because it is easier for them to communicate their own feelings by parroting another person who put it in a way they already agree with. As kids get older they become more capable of expressing themselves in their own words, but in the meantime a lot of them do talk like this.

There is an eight year gap between my and my younger sister and when she was that age I would get so irritated with her because it seemed like she didn't have an original thought in her head. It was if her entire personality and the opinions she held were comprised of things she had seen on television and was only capable of repeating somebody else.

As I got older I realized that virtually everybody is informed by media and it plays a huge part in shaping both individual and collective human identity and, as she found herself needing to, she WAS able to take other people's language and improve it with her own.

Theo sounds stilted, but he's probably being honest too.

extralite

I don't think they wanted it as "proof." We're just trying to get a better understanding of what you consider to be slut-shaming and what not, because, as others have pointed it out, there doesn't seem to be a way of criticizing sexuality without slut-shaming for you.
Probably not but I will discuss it if you give a concrete example. Why should criticizing someone for their sexuality ever be okay?

But you are misinterpreting what he said.
And I just ask a female friend with large chest size, and yes I saw her in bodycon dresses before so she is not your "prude". And you know what? She find the same thing(game with sancity clad women in push-up bra so her breast look larger and bounce more obvious) disturbing. Are you suggesting that she's trying to bodysham herself?
I guess she was disturbed because she couldn't help but identify with the character she has no agency over. If it were a real person that made her feel that way and she would tell them it disturbs her she might be body shaming that person though.

Theo makes a general statement about women and video games though, explicitly citing possible bad influence of the game on women. As opposed to your friend, he is judgemental towards women in and out of games.

Edit: Sorry, it's late where I'm at. I need to go to sleep.

PtM

Banned
Theo makes a general statement about women and video games though, explicitly citing possible bad influence of the game on women. As opposed to your friend, he is judgemental towards women in and out of games.
No, he's citing possible bad influence on the expectations towards women.

Saikyo

Well girls like someone like Glados, who can actually speak and has a hilarious personality. Maybe Valve should make more games with talking protagonists.

Maybe for this generation its too hard to imagine and act as the character playing the game, the only right way now it is to fill the game with cutscenes and voiced quips than let the player have his personal view/interpretation of the "blank state" character.

Also RP servers on MMORPGS are waste of time, space and money, lets not do that too.

I guess she was disturbed because she couldn't help but identify with the character she has no agency over. If it were a real person that made her feel that way and she would tell them it disturbs her she might be body shaming that person though.

Edit: Sorry, it's late where I'm at. I need to go to sleep.

She wore plenty of sexy dresses herself, why would you think she would bodysham another person? Let me post her reasoning for you: It is not the body(boots) that disturb her, it is the way they present the characters. It is objectifying, thus disturbing. This has nothing to do with having or no having agency with fictional people. And it is not freaking bodyshaming.

Top Bottom