• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George Lucas Making Changes to Star Wars Saga... Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big One

Banned
Anth0ny said:
NEW CHANGE ALERT:

*snip*

You know, this one makes sense. I mean, I always thought R2 should have been better hidden.

ohwaitwhogivesafuck
How the fuck is R2 gonna get out of there? How did he get in there?

Suairyu said:
My apologies. I incorrectly assumed the USA had similar protection laws in place regarding listed sites, properties and works of cultural significance to the rest of the modern world. I am baffled by the US legal system yet again. I hold my hands up and admit it.

We have such laws, but they simply don't involve anyone's private property. We have protected land, buildings, waterways, works of art, etc. If something is protected in a legal sense, it is outright owned by the government. And governments at various levels have the right to force people to sell land.. it's often done to widen roadways or build highways. I do not know of any time when the government has forced someone to sell something historic, but then again, the government would have to pay them the value. Considering the massive value of something like the Star Wars IP, not very reasonable.. nor do I think it's proper to force such a sale.

Other than that, preserving art or history is done by publicly funded groups, who also get some grants from the government. These societies might then purchase some historic something or other.. and by requirement of the grant, have the onus to protect the item.

1 - That's not what a straw-man is.

You are right, I apologize. I hate when people improperly use that term as well. SMACKS SELF

2 - I didn't say the government should take over peoples' IPs. That was entirely your inference.

Well, at the very least you are saying the government would require they release the film in some specific form on modern formats. How would the law be written to require this? Which formats? Would they have had to produce an HD-DVD during it's short lived stay? Would a government body be adopted and paid for to define which standards "classic" works are required to be released on? What if profits aren't made? So they are forced to spend the money by law to release, does the government foot the bill somehow?

3 - My argument remains. Preservation of history and cultural artefacts is almost unanimously agreed as important and morally right by pretty much the entire world. I can fathom no argument as to why films are exempt from this.

Films shouldn't be exempt from this "concept." Which is why we have film preservation societies, film museums, etc. But what you are suggesting isn't really even a preservation of "history." It's a rather specific requirement to transfer a work of art to a modern medium, or face some sort of consequence. That does not even relate all that well to marking a building as protected.

Star Wars in its original form is a historically important work of art that shaped pop culture (and wider culture) in noticeable ways. Preserving that work for others to enjoy isn't a matter of pleasing fans; it's a matter of intellectual compulsion.

And it is preserved in a multitude of ways.. people's memories, toys, posters, VHS tapes, DVDs.. I'm sure someone has a film reel or 2 somewhere?

And I don't disagree.. Lucas should release the original theatrical releases, he's a megalomaniac. But there never should be some legal requirement to do so with private property. There's nothing wrong with putting some public pressure on the guy.. perhaps other filmmakers will speak out at some point. But actually punishing him, taking his freedoms away in some manner, for this action... is ludicrous IMO.

It's just completely random tinkering. Like he's totally bored with it and just fucking around now.

If he's at the point where he's deciding whether or not to stick new rocks in 30+ year old films, maybe it's time to go make a new movie instead?

Just think, he's not even done with the edits. We've unquestionably got a whole host of brand new, insane changes with each "3D" version released. Retrofitting 30 year old films for 3D, that's such a great idea in itself...

Sanjuro

Anth0ny said:
NEW CHANGE ALERT:

r2newshots.jpg

You know, this one makes sense. I mean, I always thought R2 should have been better hidden.

ohwaitwhogivesafuck

for fucksake.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
BocoDragon said:
Isn't that virtually impossible for everyone but those who saw it during it's first or second theatrical run? Pretty sure it was modified the first time it went to VHS?

The opening crawl without the "Episode IV A New Hope" subtitle was finally made available for the 2006 DVD release.

BocoDragon said:
Isn't that virtually impossible for everyone but those who saw it during it's first or second theatrical run? Pretty sure it was modified the first time it went to VHS?

Yup, and there are people who demand that version be released too.

One day he will do a epic seamless branching version with PIP that shows all the changes.

WillyFive

jambo said:
Right hand side?

There's a rock in a way.

He could have gotten in from a big enough hole off-screen to the right of the frame, but why is he in front of a hole where he can been seen, instead of being behind that pillar next to him?

Big One said:
How the fuck is R2 gonna get out of there? How did he get in there?

How does he travel on the forest floor of Endor? Ever been to a wild forest? There ain't no paths.

Willy105 said:
There's a rock in a way.

He could have gotten in from a big enough hole off-screen to the right of the frame, but why is he in front of a hole where he can been seen, instead of being behind that pillar next to him?

So he can look out?

Big One

Banned
Warm Machine said:
How does he travel on the forest floor of Endor? Ever been to a wild forest? There ain't no paths.
Yeah but in Star Wars we see him go into that hole.

I wonder if Lucas plans on cutting that scene, and/or someone digitally imposing him into it.

Branduil

Willy105 said:
There's a rock in a way.

Heh, so a change made to "fix" a problem no one complained about results in an even bigger problem. Typical Lucas.

Suairyu

Banned
Willy105 said:
How did he get in there?
The jet boosters allowed him to get in horizontally. Once inside he re-orientated himself. This will be the only mention of R2's jet boosters in the OT.

Suairyu

Banned
Guevara said:
Did R2-D2 always have the jet propulsion feet, or was that an Episode 1-3 addition?
He always had them, per Lucas' amazing original vision, but he only used them in 1 - 3. Honest!

Willy105 said:
Why? He can detect life forms from far away.

Can he? Then why did he get eaten by the creature on Dagobah or have Yoda get the jump on him and Luke? Perhaps he needs line of sight?

JB1981 said:
Obi-Wan's new call to the Tusken Raiders HAHAHAHHA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0EUjobdavw&feature=youtu.be

I actually like that one. Though I've never had a problem with any of the variations. The way his arms flail with the cloak and being shot from distance has always seems creepy to me.

Mael

ah...I remember when Star Wars was cool...The 90's ended with Star Wars too bad they haven't released anything since then...

WillyFive

Warm Machine said:
Can he? Then why did he get eaten by the creature on Dagobah or have Yoda get the jump on him and Luke? Perhaps he needs line of sight?

Dagobah was full to the brim of creatures. Snakes everywhere, things flying around, fish and such below, and he wouldn't have much of a choice in getting eaten by the creature, since his Jet-Boosters weren't added until Episode 1. Also, R2-D2 would have seen Yoda has any other small creature in the area, because that is what he was.

Besides, I remember C-3PO citing R2-D2 to sensing enemies close to them in Endor.

Suairyu said:
He always had them, per Lucas' amazing original vision, but he only used them in 1 - 3. Honest!

They might have taken them out because of incompatibility with X-Wing and Y-Wings. I just made that up of course but it would explain the reason.

Willy105 said:
Besides, I remember C-3PO citing R2-D2 to sensing enemies close to them in Endor.

They have never visualized what his sensors detect. A human and any humaniod alien are about the same size. The Jawa's were small, maybe he needs to actually see what his scanners are sensing? Besides, he is one curious trouble maker droid out for adventure as per the character.

Sorry, the rock scene is the Sand People / Tusken Raiders. which are the same size as a regular humaniod.

Nizz

Salmonax said:
It'd be pretty amusing if they fixed that and not the "force kick" from Jedi. Are they eventually going to CG out the stormtrooper hitting his head?
That would be lol- worthy. And I hope they leave the stormtrooper hitting his head on the door in. They paid a damn homage to that scene in Attack of the Clones, with Jango hitting his head on the door of the Slave One.

jett

D-Member
George Lucas truly has mental problems. Why can't he leave these fucking movies alone? Why can't he change and alter the movies that actually are complete garbage?

RedSwirl

I have defended George Lucas up until now.

I actually like the prequels a lot.

I liked the Special Edition.

I barely even noticed the 2004 DVD edits.

I don't even think the "noooo" in that scene is badly carried out but...

just...

...Goddamnit. I should've known the Blu-Ray would make things harder for us Lucas apologists.

It's truly wonderful to be indifferent to Star Wars. I guess a few years ago this would have pissed me off, but today... meh. Might pick up the blu-rays down the line.

Anth0ny

Wow.

I think it just hit me that possibly the most powerful scene in the Star Wars trilogy has been ruined.

It was so perfect. Vader stares quietly at his suffering son, then the Emperor, and makes his decision. The score. The EMOTION. Fucking great. The fact that he doesn't say anything is what makes it so powerful!

And now it's ruined.

Damn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom