• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George Lucas Making Changes to Star Wars Saga... Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

UrbanRats

mrklaw said:
sounds alright actually. IV and V probably get away with the changes.

Actually, thinking about it, I probably woudn't need very many changes to get a version I'm happy with, and I'd guess that most of it would be trivial to do if I ripped the blurays.

ANH
- remove entire scene with Jabba (would that mess up anything?)
- remove most of the Mos Eisley entrance (stupid Jawa falling off dinosaur thing).

ESB - dont' know whats been changed but I watched the DVD recently and nothing was that jarring.

ROTJ
- remove stupid dance scene in Jabbas palace. Don't think it'd affect much in the flow of things
- remove 'nooo' - should be doable by replacing the audio somehow with the DVD soundtrack.
- do something with Anakin's ghost. This is possibly the most tricky one, not sure how I'd do it.
- possibly shorten the ending with all the flypasts of other worlds
(I don't mind the new soundtrack at the end of ROTJ)
I'm ok with this, do it now, and i'll buy it
Also Han has shoot first, because the character is a scoundrel after all.

ESB had quite a few changes:

-They added that scene with the Wampa
-completly redone Emperor/Vader scene
-Some extra dialogue and yells added to scenes
-Boba Fett's voice was redone
-A scene towards the end where Darth Vader says "inform my star destroyer to prepare for my arrival
-and they redid the external cloud city shots to CGI. I don't even remember what they used to look like anymore.

No idea what has been changed or added for the blu ray version.

Also, aside from replacing yoda puppet with CGI were any changes made to the prequels?

B.K.

Anticitizen One said:
Also, aside from replacing yoda puppet with CGI were any changes made to the prequels?

I saw one other change for Episode I. During the Pod race, there's a shot where the two headed announcer alien's hand intersects with the body. They fixed that.

apana

jaxword said:
You guys DO realize when Lucas dies, there will be even MORE changes done so facilitate his kids making 7, 8, 9.

I remember Lucas said something about how he has ensured that after his death no one will be able to make more Star Wars movies.

JB1981

I think I might actually buy the prequel trilogy to have in HD and just skip the classic trilogy. I like Revenge of the Sith and wouldn't mind having the others in HD. I'm sure the PQ will be great

I just got done watching Harmy's "De-specialized" cut of ANH with my daughter and it was GLORIOUS!

I damn near teared up when the credits rolled.

Major props to Harmy on this. Excellent work.

Nizz

apana said:
I remember Lucas said something about how he has ensured that after his death no one will be able to make more Star Wars movies.
No one will even be able to remake/reboot them?

Medalion

Banned
So according to Curb Your Enthusiasm

George Lucas loves prostitutes

I thought that was evident from the Jabba's palace scenes

Glass Joe

Sorry if this goes slightly off topic, as it's about Star Wars and not the Blu-Rays specifically...

Anyway, I'm watching Empire Strikes Back, and got to the scene were Obi Wan and Yoda are talking, and Obi Wan says "That boy was our last hope," and Yoda replies, "No, there is another." At that moment, they're pretty much writing Luke off as turning to the dark side.

Apparently this "other" is Leia, assumed or defined better in Return of The Jedi.

However, Luke is leaving Yoda to SAVE Leia and Han in the first place. Therefore, if he doesn't leave, the "other" hope would be dead. Also, if Luke leaves Yoda but turns to the dark side, it'd be logical at that moment to predict that Leia and Han would still suffer the same fate.

It seems like an odd thing for Yoda to say under the circumstances. Am I missing something, meaning can someone explain it so it sits better for me?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Glass Joe said:
Sorry if this goes slightly off topic, as it's about Star Wars and not the Blu-Rays specifically...

Anyway, I'm watching Empire Strikes Back, and got to the scene were Obi Wan and Yoda are talking, and Obi Wan says "That boy was our last hope," and Yoda replies, "No, there is another." At that moment, they're pretty much writing Luke off as turning to the dark side.

Apparently this "other" is Leia, assumed or defined better in Return of The Jedi.

However, Luke is leaving Yoda to SAVE Leia and Han in the first place. Therefore, if he doesn't leave, the "other" hope would be dead. Also, if Luke leaves Yoda but turns to the dark side, it'd be logical at that moment to predict that Leia and Han would still suffer the same fate.

It seems like an odd thing for Yoda to say under the circumstances. Am I missing something, meaning can someone explain it so it sits better for me?
They didn't decide that Leia was the "another" until the making of RotJ, maybe? :p

Solo

JB1981 said:
I think I might actually buy the prequel trilogy to have in HD and just skip the classic trilogy. I like Revenge of the Sith and wouldn't mind having the others in HD. I'm sure the PQ will be great

I don't know about that. The CG in these movies was already quite poor in many places when they came out, and thats only going to get worse, and Lucas made some really short-sighted decisions with respect to tech/cameras when he shot the prequels.

Erigu

BocoDragon said:
They didn't decide that Leia was the "another" until the making of RotJ, maybe? :p
I seem to remember something about the original (loose?) plan being to kill Vader in episode VI, but keep the "another" and the Emperor for the third trilogy.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Solo said:
I don't know about that. The CG in these movies was already quite poor in many places when they came out, and thats only going to get worse, and Lucas made some really short-sighted decisions with respect to tech/cameras when he shot the prequels.

hmm, really? I was considering the prequels on the basis they'd at least benefit from some HD glitz, and I don't already have them on DVD. Now might just skip them and get the OT instead

BocoDragon

I've been thinking... I'm sure all of this "release the originals" stuff is playing right into Lucas' hands.

He's shown with the 2006 releases that he is perfectly willing to release the originals as a suppliment (albeit in shit quality... but considering that many here are boycotting the Blu-rays and instead shelling out for the 2006 versions, I'd say it's clearly a selling feature for many people)

....but remember, he put those originals on a double dip of the DVDs.

I'm certain he will release those originals again on future blu-ray releases... And then all these purists will claim victory in getting Lucas to see the light, and buy them out of misplaced gratitude and a sense of pent up demand for the originals.

But in all likelihood... Lucas is already planning to re-release the originals someday... it has nothing to do with your little grassroots boycott. It's just a way to build up demand amongst the hardcore fans, and maybe milk 2 or 3 double/triple dip purchases from them down the line.

I think this whole "changes to Star Wars" is win-win-win-win for Lucas in terms of making money. It's brilliant. He gets to promote ILM's work, he gets to update the look of the films for modern audience expectations, it gets a new selling feature ("Star Wars: With a new hat!").

He gets to milk $$$ from both people who don't care about the changes and want the new shiny, and eventually from those who want the originals when he finally re-releases them as a supplement on some future double dip (most of these purists probably gave in and bought the first release anyway). It's a perfect plan to get people to spend money again and again and again..

Phoenix

Anth0ny said:
Complaining got us a release in 2006. A shitty release, but a release nonetheless.

So I'll keep complaining until we get a good release.

George Lucas: I have altered the series, pray I don't alter it any further.
Fans: This series is getting worse all the time.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
BocoDragon said:
I think this whole "changes to Star Wars" is win-win-win-win for Lucas in terms of making money. It's brilliant. He gets to promote ILM's work, he gets to update the look of the films for modern audience expectations, it gets a new selling feature ("Star Wars: With a new hat!").

except the CG looks absolutely terrible and makes ILM look bad.

BocoDragon

alr1ghtstart said:
except the CG looks absolutely terrible and makes ILM look bad.
That's true but it doesn't even matter. They've established a name for themselves as the go-to studio for inserting new things into old movies... and CG in general.

NekoFever

I ripped the original versions from the 2006 DVDs and converted them for my iPad. Once you've done all the work creating the chapters, filling in the metadata, adding nice original poster art, etc it looks pretty good. I'm surprised considering how low the resolution of the actual video is once it's been cropped and everything.

btMIO.jpg

Morn

Banned
BocoDragon said:
I've been thinking... I'm sure all of this "release the originals" stuff is playing right into Lucas' hands.

He's shown with the 2006 releases that he is perfectly willing to release the originals as a suppliment (albeit in shit quality... but considering that many here are boycotting the Blu-rays and instead shelling out for the 2006 versions, I'd say it's clearly a selling feature for many people)

....but remember, he put those originals on a double dip of the DVDs.

I'm certain he will release those originals again on future blu-ray releases... And then all these purists will claim victory in getting Lucas to see the light, and buy them out of misplaced gratitude and a sense of pent up demand for the originals.

But in all likelihood... Lucas is already planning to re-release the originals someday... it has nothing to do with your little grassroots boycott. It's just a way to build up demand amongst the hardcore fans, and maybe milk 2 or 3 double/triple dip purchases from them down the line.

He gets to milk $$$ from both people who don't care about the changes and want the new shiny, and eventually from those who want the originals when he finally re-releases them as a supplement on some future double dip (most of these purists probably gave in and bought the first release anyway). It's a perfect plan to get people to spend money again and again and again..

They put the originals on the 2006 DVDs because it cost them NOTHING to put the old LD transfers on a DVD.

A HD release would cost them anywhere from 8 to 10 million for the necessary restoration needed on the original negative.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Morn said:
They put the originals on the 2006 DVDs because it cost them NOTHING to put the old LD transfers on a DVD.

A HD release would cost them anywhere from 8 to 10 million for the necessary restoration needed on the original negative.

..which in the grand scheme of things is nothing to them. Financially they'd make that back and way more, and the goodwill from fans would be almost priceless

jaxword

Glass Joe said:

Lucas made up ROTJ on the fly, and was leaving himself openings for future sequel ideas.

NekoFever

THE-Pink-Dagger said:
These horrible screenshots come from rips, not the actual BR, been said at Avs.
Judging by the source address, I think those ROTJ ones are coming from the BD.

This is the post where I got the pic above BTW. More of them there.

Salmonax said:
It looks like an old game being upscaled and smoothed in an emulator.
Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that Lucas jumped on board with digital cameras as soon as he could, leading to Ep.1 being shot at a much lower resolution then normal film (4k)
Its one of the reasons I want companys to start pushing a 4k standard like they did with HD.

NekoFever

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that Lucas jumped on board with digital cameras as soon as he could, leading to Ep.1 being shot at a much lower resolution then normal film (4k)
Its one of the reasons I want companys to start pushing a 4k standard like they did with HD.
Apart from a few scenes, Episode I was shot on film. II was shot digitally but only in 1080p, and I'm not sure about III.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom