• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George Lucas Making Changes to Star Wars Saga... Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
NekoFever said:
Apart from a few scenes, Episode I was shot on film. II was shot digitally but only in 1080p, and I'm not sure about III.

yep. at least we won't have to see that shit in whatever 4k home format comes along.

^that shot looks like someone took a pic of their TV.

Snaku

Banned

Medalion

Banned
00301m2tssnapshot000155.png

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Morn said:
They put the originals on the 2006 DVDs because it cost them NOTHING to put the old LD transfers on a DVD.

A HD release would cost them anywhere from 8 to 10 million for the necessary restoration needed on the original negative.
I don't expect a new transfer. I just expect the original versions will show up again on future blu-rays as a marketing ploy. Maybe a cheap upscale from the LDs..

Esiquio

So I'm not super into Star Wars or anything, but I absolutely loved the original trilogy and really enjoyed The Phantom Edit and Attack of the Edit. Is the best possible version of the six movies now going to be the Blu-Ray copies, with the work The Phantom Editor did on EP I + II re-created with the Blu-Ray transfer, and a complete edit of EP III? And then a combination of the LaserDisk/2006 DVD/HDTV rips of the original trilogy, combined with Blu-Ray transfers of the parts that haven't been "messed with in a bad way"? I am very, very interested in this. Sounds like it would be an awesome project to take on.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Here's the HDTV version:
72382483.png

and the Blu-ray:
103em.png

Apparently, Lucas wanted to fix the softness of the original image and as a result, Qui-Gon looks like a wax sculpture. Sigh.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
He looks like CG. Maybe it's fine in motion.

Maybe Lucas wants the CG to clash less with the actors, so he made them look like CG:p

mAcOdIn

He's just trying to make the actors blend in with the CGI, he gave up on making the CGI look real so now he's working to make real people look like CGI so he's got this shit handled guys. Give him one more chance.
Ether_Snake said:
He looks like CG. Maybe it's fine in motion.

Maybe Lucas wants the CG to clash less with the actors, so he made them look like CG:p
Damnit, I was too slow.

NekoFever said:
I ripped the original versions from the 2006 DVDs and converted them for my iPad. Once you've done all the work creating the chapters, filling in the metadata, adding nice original poster art, etc it looks pretty good. I'm surprised considering how low the resolution of the actual video is once it's been cropped and everything.

btMIO.jpg

I've been slowly doing this with my DVD collection, though I have no iPad so it doesn't look quite that fancy.

jett

D-Member
Qui-Gon's beard looks like it's made out of plastic. How can anyone do this to the image quality of a movie? Someone utterly tasteless and clueless worked on the mastering process of this collection.

probably hired cuz he fits the quality of the director, amirite

Risette

A Good Citizen
Morn said:
They put the originals on the 2006 DVDs because it cost them NOTHING to put the old LD transfers on a DVD.

A HD release would cost them anywhere from 8 to 10 million for the necessary restoration needed on the original negative.
Do they really have to restore the entire negative though? Can't they just restore the shots that have been altered and piece them together with the rest of the movies?

JB1981

It may be just that one shot. Many of the other TPM blu-ray pics look quite nice.

- empire is on spike right now. why doesn't comcast carry spike hd? wtf

Zabka

Aigis said:
Do they really have to restore the entire negative though? Can't they just restore the shots that have been altered and piece them together with the rest of the movies?
They need to restart the whole restoration from scratch . Re-scan the negatives at 4K, instead of 1080p, like every other high quality restoration and go from there.

richiek said:
Apparently, Lucas wanted to fix the softness of the original image and as a result, Qui-Gon looks like a wax sculpture. Sigh.
Yeah, the cutscenes in FF Versus XIII look almost better than that >_<

Anth0ny

Awesome quote:

The changes that Lucas has made over the years is the equivalent of someone keying your car. On an intellectual level, you know that the car still works, and its only marred a fraction of a percent of the paintjob. On an emotional level, every time you see it, it's all you can focus on, and it makes you want to rip someone's face off.

Jin34

Ep. 1 looks like it was DNRed to try and remove the film grain in order to look more digital so it would fit more with Ep 2 & 3.

Cheerilee

Glass Joe said:
Sorry if this goes slightly off topic, as it's about Star Wars and not the Blu-Rays specifically...

Anyway, I'm watching Empire Strikes Back, and got to the scene were Obi Wan and Yoda are talking, and Obi Wan says "That boy was our last hope," and Yoda replies, "No, there is another." At that moment, they're pretty much writing Luke off as turning to the dark side.

Apparently this "other" is Leia, assumed or defined better in Return of The Jedi.

However, Luke is leaving Yoda to SAVE Leia and Han in the first place. Therefore, if he doesn't leave, the "other" hope would be dead. Also, if Luke leaves Yoda but turns to the dark side, it'd be logical at that moment to predict that Leia and Han would still suffer the same fate.

It seems like an odd thing for Yoda to say under the circumstances. Am I missing something, meaning can someone explain it so it sits better for me?
Luke didn't save Leia's life in Empire. Lando saved Leia. Luke didn't save anybody. He just walked straight into a trap and got his ass kicked and hand chopped off by Vader and was left for dead, until an escaping Leia went out of her way to rescue him.

Vader tortured Han, hoping that Luke would feel it, and hoping the emotion would draw Luke out of hiding and into a confrontation. Maybe not exactly expecting Luke to foresee the torture, but it didn't really matter because Luke still arrived too late to stop it, and Vader didn't really know how far away Luke was or how fast he'd get there.

Yoda foresaw that it was a trap, and he foresaw that Leia would escape without Luke's help. The only difference Luke made by changing the timeline is that Leia didn't have to chase after Boba Fett with only Chewbacca, Lando, and the Millennium Falcon at her disposal. It's possible that if Luke had finished his training and hadn't rushed in to take command of the "save Han" mission, Leia might have traveled to Dagobah to get Luke's help, met Yoda, and started down the path of the Jedi herself.

antonz

The reality is based on the leaks that very little effort actually went into this set. Outside of PR presskit shots the rest of the movies were left alone even if it means one second you see fixed lightsaber and the next 5 minutes goes back to shit lightsaber.

The Blu Rays are a scam of the highest order

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I now have given up all hope that my daughter will ever see a proper version of Star Wars. Thank you George Lucas.

jaxword

One of these days we need to have a Star Wars thread...but set in 1980.

No ROTJ, just ESB and ANH to go on, and theorize based upon those.

It's really interesting to read old threads from 1980 and read people's theories about who The Other is, for example. Or if Vader was telling the truth.

eastmen

Banned
They are investing huge amounts of money into the 3d veriosns of these , your going to see amazing transfers to bluray or the format after that when those verisons come home.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
jaxword said:
One of these days we need to have a Star Wars thread...but set in 1980.

No ROTJ, just ESB and ANH to go on, and theorize based upon those.

It's really interesting to read old threads from 1980 and read people's theories about who The Other is, for example. Or if Vader was telling the truth.
Luke is gonna kill that evil space lord, avenge his dead father, and bone the Princess.

Dead Man

BocoDragon said:
Luke is gonna kill that evil space lord, avenge his dead father, and bone the Princess.
I heard that the carbonight process killed Han. That sucks, I liked him the best of the heroes.

Suairyu

Banned
NekoFever said:
Apart from a few scenes, Episode I was shot on film. II was shot digitally but only in 1080p, and I'm not sure about III.
Episode II isn't even 1080p, it's less than that. They shot at 1440 x 1080 and you probably got a lot less than that ending up in the final image.

Episode III was 1080p.

Those films are going to age horrendously. Hilariously, Episode I will in the future be considered the best looking one in the prequel trilogy. I mean, with all its actual sets it kind of already does to a large degree, but it will be a really jarring difference.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Suairyu said:
Episode II isn't even 1080p, it's less than that. They shot at 1440 x 1080 and you probably got a lot less than that ending up in the final image.

Episode III was 1080p.

Those films are going to age horrendously. Hilariously, Episode I will in the future be considered the best looking one in the prequel trilogy. I mean, with all its actual sets it kind of already does to a large degree, but it will be a really jarring difference.

yeah, once he's chopped out all the actors in photoshop, scaled and rotated them like south park characters to fit whatever stupid CG set he's created, they'll look like crap.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
mrklaw said:
yeah, once he's chopped out all the actors in photoshop, scaled and rotated them like south park characters to fit whatever stupid CG set he's created, they'll look like crap.

I am looking forward to the 3D releases. It will be "Clash of the Titans"-bad.

Suairyu said:

Episode III was 1080p.

I think the difference is pretty jarring already. It's been a while since I watched AotC all the way through but apart from outside on Kamino and maybe the assassin chase sequence n Coruscant I remember the film looking like crap.

NekoFever

The years already haven't been kind to AOTC. I was watching the droid factory sequence for some reason the other day, and it just looks like real-life actors badly composited into a video game. The quality of the CG isn't anything spectacular so it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Most films with a lot of CG nowadays have at least one or two 'wow' moments where there's a certain effect or animation that's done so well that you forget it's not real, but I spend most of the time looking at II and III and being unable not to notice that it's a bunch of people in front of a blue screen.

It's hilariously shortsighted of them to shoot them in only 1080p as well. That's already the standard in the home, and modern digital cinema is way ahead of that, both in production and projection.

Anth0ny said:
Awesome quote:

Nice! *saves*

antonz said:
The reality is based on the leaks that very little effort actually went into this set. Outside of PR presskit shots the rest of the movies were left alone even if it means one second you see fixed lightsaber and the next 5 minutes goes back to shit lightsaber.

The Blu Rays are a scam of the highest order

Pretty much. My cousin phoned me yesterday to remind me that this set was due out soon, and he was obviously really looking forward to watching it, but after bringing him up to date with the last weeks revelations his mood was somewhat dampened.

It's such a shame that over the years, Lucas has gone from being seen as a person who settles for nothing but the best effects in his films, to a lazy shit-bag who is perfectly willing to shove a half finished pile of shoddy garbage out of the door just to make another quick pile of cash.

And that doesn't even take into account his "additions", and how those have affected characters, pacing etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom