• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut for PC | Review Thread

Topher

Gold Member
Too close! 😰
Built a new PC just 2 months ago with a 4080 Super
60.4 fps minimum

ou00T04.png

That's pretty close to what I reported earlier in the thread....

I'm early in the game but I'm getting frames in the mid 60s without DLSS at 4K. With frame gen, over 100 fps. DLSS quality and frame gen over 140fps.

Performance is really good overall, I'd say. Game is gorgeous.

3600X
5600X
RTX 4080
32GB RAM

Topher

Gold Member
Dude I don't get it. You seemingly hate all the benefits of playing on PC yet you still own one while dunking on it. I hate playing on switch, so I sold my switch, but I'm not going to keep it just to bitch that I spent the same money for a lesser experience.

Pretty common tactic for some people to own the thing they hate just so they can trash and also say "I'm a PC gamer" as if it affords them some sort of immunity. We've got a couple of those around here.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I think the sense of adventure is fantastic. There's a lot more than just combat. Lots of exploration, some climbing/platforming, and non-combat side tasks. And I personally think the Assassin's Creed comparisons are pretty shallow. Yes, they're both open world games that have sword/bow combat, horse riding, and checklists, but Ghost of Tsushima is MUCH more artistically impressive, more meditative and deliberate with it's pacing, and has a completely different tone than than AC franchise.
Now some people see what we had been screaming about since it launched on PS4 😂.

Catphish

Had a good experience with it last night, though a possible memory leak at the first temple with all the people. I was talking with some monk, and the framerate tanked. Had to restart.

Aside from that, good times.

Edit: Looks like the memory leak is a thing. People are talking about it on Reddit, and other places.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

4080 laptop, getting at 3440x1440 ultra wide, ~80 fps with dlss quality, dlss + framegen about 120 fps. Happy with it.

Game is absolute gorgeous on a oled screen.

Also lol at the start fight, holy shit that was brutal.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Dude I don't get it. You seemingly hate all the benefits of playing on PC yet you still own one while dunking on it. I hate playing on switch, so I sold my switch, but I'm not going to keep it just to bitch that I spent the same money for a lesser experience.
Interpolation always sucked ass. Just because nvidia or amd does it doesn’t mean it doesn’t add lag.
It makes little to no sense to use it.
I can not be a fan of a feature lol. That has nothing to do with PC hating.

I can't wait to play it later. Probably won't get to it until tomorrow night, but I'm so happy to see the shots people have posted and to read that the performance is so good. I'm so glad I waited for another playthrough.

Puscifer

Interpolation always sucked ass. Just because nvidia or amd does it doesn’t mean it doesn’t add lag.
It makes little to no sense to use it.
I can not be a fan of a feature lol. That has nothing to do with PC hating.
Reflex brings it down to 30-40ms, which is a requirement and it looks fantastic

rofif

Banned
Reflex brings it down to 30-40ms, which is a requirement and it looks fantastic
I know it looks good. I've seen dlss3 in action and I was surprised how well it looks.
But it is indisputable fact that it adds lag.
Yes you can lower it with reflex but you could play at native fps with reflex too

STARSBarry

Gold Member
the main issue I have with the game is it crashes all the time on legends... which makes sense because its the one part that requires a Playstation account to work.

Puscifer

I know it looks good. I've seen dlss3 in action and I was surprised how well it looks.
But it is indisputable fact that it adds lag.
Yes you can lower it with reflex but you could play at native fps with reflex too
If it's under 40ms you're fine and it's 30ms, monitors and television's have similar response and it's kinda silly to say free performance is bad.

Last edited:

Puscifer

It's silly to say this is free performance. Really silly.
It is. At his point dude why even go into PC threads? Just stick to consoles and call it day, sell your pc and get a chromebook to surf the internet. Every benefit and reason people enjoy on PC seems to not be what you want at all, yet, you own one and do nothing but shit threads up about it. Meanwhile, I can turn off DLSS in GoTSU play at native and framegen and get 90s fps at 4K with my 4080, something I CAN'T do on PS5.

rofif

Banned
It is. At his point dude why even go into PC threads? Just stick to consoles and call it day, sell your pc and get a chromebook to surf the internet. Every benefit and reason people enjoy on PC seems to not be what you want at all, yet, you own one and do nothing but shit threads up about it. Meanwhile, I can turn off DLSS in GoTSU play at native and framegen and get 90s fps at 4K with my 4080, something I CAN'T do on PS5.
And yet I know better how this works than you. It really is not that simple.
You are only hurting your experience using this crap but you do you

Puscifer

And yet I know better how this works than you. It really is not that simple.
You are only hurting your experience using this crap but you do you
I'm enjoying what it does for my games, you don't have too. Hell, even from my understanding you don't even own a card capable of framegen so why all this ridiculous concern trolling? You've never seen it action so how can you comment? Because you know how it "works?" I play on a 32 Mini Led 4k monitor and there's times I've literally turned DLSS on and off vs native and I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference, hell, in many games it actually looks better than native and that's been documented. If you don't like it, don't use it, but don't discount the technology cause you don't like it, you're in sour grapes territory.

Last edited:

OneBigPuss

I think there is something wrong with DLSS+Framegen combo on my rig because even tho it showing me more fps i can see and feel that framerate is lower than with only dlss on.

rofif

Banned
I'm enjoying what it does for my games, you don't have too. Hell, even from my understanding you don't even own a card capable of framegen so why all this ridiculous concern trolling? You've never seen it action so how can you comment? Because you know how it "works?" I play on a 32 Mini Led 4k monitor and there's times I've literally turned DLSS on and off vs native and I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in many times, hell, in many games it actually looks better than native and that's been documented plenty of times. If you don't like it, don't use it, but don't discount the technology cause you don't like it, it's sour grapes territory.
You should see clear difference with 32". I saw on 27" 4k but I can see why you might not want to use dlss in some games.
DLSS or FSR2 are not free anti aliasing. Plenty of games on console do fsr2 crap instead of doing 5-10% higher base res with just TAA which would look better than crappy fsr.
Anyway. I am not taking away your experience. I don't have a 4080 but my buddy got one and I played a ton with dlss3 on his pc and fsr3 on mine.

also, one thing I don't like about tone of these type of conversations is "you get out of here because you like consoles and dislike pcs".
If you have a submarine engineer who has been designing submarines for 50 years and he now likes lawn mowers... That doesn't invalidates his experience.
How many console gamers have this? + countless gog games, magazines, old 90s pcs and so on so on. And that's only the latest 3dmark... the one I used after I already was kinda done with pc gaming...
RSuXvUv.png

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Brick wall. You're talking to one. Some people can't help but hate post. Like the people who are complaining about Yasuke but also hate Ubisoft games and will never play them anyway. Dude complains about PC features just to hamstring himself with a much more shoddy version of a game cause of console fanboyism. I mean, he totally sidestepped why he bought a 30fps version of a game when he's so triggered by lag that is virtually indetectable. You know what is super detectable, 30fps vs. 60fps. But nah, it's fine cause console.

Puscifer

You should see clear difference with 32". I saw on 27" 4k but I can see why you might not want to use dlss in some games.
DLSS or FSR2 are not free anti aliasing. Plenty of games on console do fsr2 crap instead of doing 5-10% higher base res with just TAA which would look better than crappy fsr.
Anyway. I am not taking away your experience. I don't have a 4080 but my buddy got one and I played a ton with dlss3 on his pc and fsr3 on mine.

also, one thing I don't like about tone of these type of conversations is "you get out of here because you like consoles and dislike pcs".
If you have a submarine engineer who has been designing submarines for 50 years and he now likes lawn mowers... That doesn't invalidates his experience.
How many console gamers have this? + countless gog games, magazines, old 90s pcs and so on so on. And that's only the latest 3dmark... the one I used after I already was kinda done with pc gaming...
RSuXvUv.png
Except I don't, there is none.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

RSuXvUv.png
Just go play your console version at an horrible 30 FPS in blurry upscaled 4K of whatever game has your preference right now, but stop acting like you are the best PC player in there or that you know better than other.
I'm a PC gamer since 25 years and I'm sure I know a few things too. The added latency is not perceptible. It's just not big enough to be noticed and I play CS and other very competitive games with a 144hz display @144 FPS. I can guess the framerate even without numbers on the top right because of how my eyes are used to fluidity/responsiveness and I'm telling you: you are full of shit.

Now of course, DLSS is not perfect but it's miles better than FSR and in 9 games out of 10 it looks better than native. You could point to a few exception, like you did with GTA 4 and the account liking (strangely you did not respond to my latest comment ;) )but that would just be bad faith.

Complaining about frame gen and then playing on consoles. YOU WISH consoles could do frame gen (and it's probably coming somehow sooner or later).

Rofif: FrameGen is bad! It adds latency and it's not good. No one should use it because I don't like it boooohouuuouuuh PC players keep losing!
Also Rofif: Let's play Forspoken on glorious upscaled 4K and sub 30 FPS. What an amazing game!!

rofif

Banned
Just go play your console version at an horrible 30 FPS in blurry upscaled 4K of whatever game has your preference right now, but stop acting like you are the best PC player in there or that you know better than other.
I'm a PC gamer since 25 years and I'm sure I know a few things too. The added latency is not perceptible. It's just not big enough to be noticed and I play CS and other very competitive games with a 144hz display @144 FPS. I can guess the framerate even without numbers on the top right because of how my eyes are used to fluidity/responsiveness and I'm telling you: you are full of shit.

Now of course, DLSS is not perfect but it's miles better than FSR and in 9 games out of 10 it looks better than native. You could point to a few exception, like you did with GTA 4 and the account liking (strangely you did not respond to my latest comment ;) )but that would just be bad faith.

Complaining about frame gen and then playing on consoles. YOU WISH consoles could do frame gen (and it's probably coming somehow sooner or later).

Rofif: FrameGen is bad! It adds latency and it's not good. No one should use it because I don't like it boooohouuuouuuh PC players keep losing!
Also Rofif: Let's play Forspoken on glorious upscaled 4K and sub 30 FPS. What an amazing game!!
Of course the added latency is there.
I am not saying it ruins your game. I am just saying it’s there. It is a fact.
I find it really strange you guys are eating this nvidia gadgets bullshit so much. It’s predictive interpolation. Like I don’t get what’s so special here.

How petty of you to call me names and do this 30fps console bs. It’s fine. I am way past this being so important to me. In fact I was already over fps crap when Xbox 360 was a thing. I just play games.

Yes. I will play at any fps I want.
The only thing you say is to attack me because I play on console. Meanwhile I am more experienced pc gamer than most of you here. How crazy that.
And it’s that experience which gives me the right to comment. If anyone got the hobbyist cred here it’s me. I am a real enthusiast. Not some blind pc fanboy.

And no. Forspoken got a good 40fps mode and a bit blurry 60fps mode.
Got on ps5 is 4k60. Yes. Upscaled.
I play on console because I like to do so.

rofif

Banned
Pretty common tactic for some people to own the thing they hate just so they can trash and also say "I'm a PC gamer" as if it affords them some sort of immunity. We've got a couple of those around here.
That’s the most idiotic thing I’ve seen today. I would never do that and I had pc first.
All I said was about how I think frame gen is pointless and it really just adds lag.

That’s all. We didn’t need to have this whole big conversation. I clearly don’t hate pc. Only pc gamers

Puscifer

That’s the most idiotic thing I’ve seen today. I would never do that and I had pc first.
All I said was about how I think frame gen is pointless and it really just adds lag.

That’s all. We didn’t need to have this whole big conversation. I clearly don’t hate pc. Only pc gamers
You're concern trolling just to make a point.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Like I don’t get what’s so special here.
Because it's really good. It's as simple as that! Playing Alan Wake II in PT was glorious for example. And I'd add than in some games, Reflex + Boost can get you LOWER latency than native even with FG activated.. How crazy is that?
Interpolation on TV suck ass big time. DLSS is not the same.

How petty of you to call me names and do this 30fps console bs. It’s fine. I am way past this being so important to me. In fact I was already over fps crap when Xbox 360 was a thing. I just play games.
Because you are so over yourself. Step down of your high horse dude.

Meanwhile I am more experienced pc gamer than most of you here. How crazy that. If anyone got the hobbyist cred here it’s me. I am a real enthusiast. Not some blind pc fanboy.
Yeah, what I was saying.

And no. Forspoken got a good 40fps mode and a bit blurry 60fps mode.
Got on ps5 is 4k60. Yes. Upscaled.
I play on console because I like to do so
And that's cool! Good for you and I truly hope you have the time of your life! And I'm saying this in the most genuine way! But please stop the condescending attitude because this is as stupid as a comment can get.

rofif

Banned
Because it's really good. It's as simple as that! Playing Alan Wake II in PT was glorious for example. And I'd add than in some games, Reflex + Boost can get you LOWER latency than native even with FG activated.. How crazy is that?
Interpolation on TV suck ass big time. DLSS is not the same.

Because you are so over yourself. Step down of your high horse dude.

Yeah, what I was saying.

And that's cool! Good for you and I truly hope you have the time of your life! And I'm saying this in the most genuine way! But please stop the condescending attitude because this is as stupid as a comment can get.
Fg adds input lag. Adding reflex to that is moving the goalpost. You can enable reflex without fg for better experience. It’s nothing new.
We should probably finish this anyway. I am stepping away

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Fg adds input lag. Adding reflex to that is moving the goalpost. You can enable reflex without fg for better experience. It’s nothing new.
No shit, but don't act like FG is adding 5 secondes of latency.
99% of games with FG + DLSS quality/DLAA on PC are more responsive than their console counterpart. So why are you playing on consoles again? Not to have better frametimes/latency right? And then I'll ask: why do you care if FG adds latency when it's still better than on consoles...? Stop trying to dunk on the PC gaming community on this site and your trolling, start to act like a grown men.

We should probably finish this anyway. I am stepping away
Mixed Martial Arts Ok GIF by UFC

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Frame gen rules. I don’t use it here because there’s no point but in games like alan wake 2 and cyberpunk path traced it works amazing and adds 0 lag that is noticeable. I wouldn’t use it to play fighting games or competitive shooters but there’s no need to. Hilarious that the same guy who champions 30 fps and 40 fps thinks frame gen is bad.

Top Bottom