• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut for PC | Review Thread

night13x

7800x3D, RTX 4090, 64gb ram. Game runs like a dream on my LG C2.

At native 4k with no upscaling and nvidia AA enabled I get around 90 FPS. with DLSS 2 quality (no frame gen - not needed) I max out my monitor's 120fps. Lat is around 13ms. with no boost enabled.

Anyone play with the HDR settings? Right now leaving it at the 800 nits with 200 whitepaper and seems ok.

Three

Rofif didn't ruin the thread. He just gave an opinion on framegen replying to a post that isn't even about PC specifically and the thread went to shit based on the simple opinion that he doesn't like framegen because it doesn't improve performance if lower latency is what you define as performance. It's not even a controversial take. It's not "PC hating" and he's pointed that out. Of course people took this as a slight on PC though and are mentioning console (which probably will get some type of framegen anyway soon enough).

OverHeat

« generous god »
Rofif didn't ruin the thread. He just gave an opinion on framegen replying to a post that isn't even about PC specifically and the thread went to shit based on the simple opinion that he doesn't like framegen because it doesn't improve performance if lower latency is what you define as performance. It's not even a controversial take. It's not "PC hating" and he's pointed that out. Of course people took this as a slight on PC though and are mentioning console (which probably will get some type of framegen anyway soon enough).
He as some valid point but it’s not the whole story…
Anyways back on topic the game IQ on steam deck is really good I’m impressed by the handheld

Last edited:

Fredrik

Weird, I'm getting locked 60 everything maxed on a 4070 ti super....I changed my computer 2 days agot so I hadn't too much time to test it.
It’s about a minimum fps they registered so maybe it’s a quick drop at a specific demanding spot.
But Topher posted that DLSS can fix it all and push it to 100, so no real worries, yet.

DavidGzz

Gonna double dip if there are some sweet mods down the road. I played this twice(because of the locked cloud saves if you don't have PS plus) so I will wait for now. Enjoy PC folk, it's so good.

yamaci17

friendly reminder that most single player aaa games on ps5 run at 90-100+ ms latency at 60 fps and 150+ ms latency at 30 FPS

GtClgSs.png

even with frame generation and reflex together, it is near impossible to reach console levels of latency unless you completely rely on the Vsync.

as such, coming from a console enjoyer primarily as himself, just don't take him seriously. he's capable of "just" enjoying tons of games at absurdly high latencies but frame generation increasing input latency at a much lower baseline latency is apparently a deal breaker. goes to show how genuine he has to be. don't even be surprised if he ends up saying "but only thing pcs are good for is for lowest latency gaming! I don't want any extra latency at all! pc gaming in shambles again!"

look at him saying "it will look like 150 fps but control like 80 fps". he talks about this when latency probably goes from 20 ms to say 30 ms. by his logic, majority of 30/60 FPS games on PS5 do not feel like 30/60 FPS but instead 15/30 FPS because that is what these latency numbers imply, at least per his logic.

oh also watch him bring up bloodborne and claim how he knows his things and how he loves super low latency gaming. but of course he should be reminded that low latency 30 fps bloodborne is an extreme outlier and that caused the game to have a bad reputation of bad frametimes for almost a decade now.

Last edited:

hinch7

Can icons and trackers on the map and radar be toggled off in anyway? It might sound small but that little change has a huge impact on how much I enjoy open world games.

Also, anyone with a 4070ti able to talk about performance?
With my 5800X3D + 4070Ti. Native 1440P, maxed out with DLAA I get around 100fps. With DLSS 3+DLAA hovering 140fps (13ms lat). Not a massive difference tbh, and not really worth using FG in this game.

Looks and plays so much better than on my copy on PS5. Glad I waited for this port.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Like. You had to stick the needle in there didn’t you? That’s so petty.
I will have no Problem playing at lower fps rather than artificially improving fps while in fact just increasing input delay. Frames are so important to pc gamers they will take worse experience just to have more fps.

And yes dd2 was fine on ps5. I am way beyond being so petty and caring if it’s 30 or 300 fps. I dont care for the most part. Yea. I could play dragons dogma 2 on pc with all the stuttering
You have no problem with fps stutter. But some do. It’s not about being a PC gamer or not, it’s about wanting fast motion to look smooth and clear, same discussion has existed for decades on consoles too.

That said, my target in the living room is 60 fps. I don’t have a VRR capable TV so everything below 60fps is going to double the time a frame is on screen and show as 30fps, which looks like crap imo. And anything higher won’t show unless I go for 1080p120 since my TV can’t do 4k above 60hz.

On the desktop PC I use gsync and a 165hz screen so there it’s a different story. Then it’s just a matter of reaching a level where it looks smooth enough, which is certainly far below 300fps. If I can lock at the screen refresh then I’ll definitely do that but it’s not a requirement.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
friendly reminder that most single player aaa games on ps5 run at 90-100+ ms latency at 60 fps and 150+ ms latency at 30 FPS

GtClgSs.png

even with frame generation and reflex together, it is near impossible to reach console levels of latency unless you completely rely on the Vsync.

as such, coming from a console enjoyer primarily as himself, just don't take him seriously. he's capable of "just" enjoying tons of games at absurdly high latencies but frame generation increasing input latency at a much lower baseline latency is apparently a deal breaker. goes to show how genuine he has to be. don't even be surprised if he ends up saying "but only thing pcs are good for is for lowest latency gaming! I don't want any extra latency at all! pc gaming in shambles again!"

look at him saying "it will look like 150 fps but control like 80 fps". he talks about this when latency probably goes from 20 ms to say 30 ms. by his logic, majority of 30/60 FPS games on PS5 do not feel like 30/60 FPS but instead 15/30 FPS because that is what these latency numbers imply, at least per his logic.

oh also watch him bring up bloodborne and claim how he knows his things and how he loves super low latency gaming. but of course he should be reminded that low latency 30 fps bloodborne is an extreme outlier and that caused the game to have a bad reputation of bad frametimes for almost a decade now.
Yep. Rofif is the guy who says that 30fps with motion blur is great, but all of a sudden, you need 100 fps+ on PC to make frame generation viable. He’s pretty transparent in his double standard.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
PSA for new players: Legends is one of the best MP modes in any game ever made IMO, you just need to find the right people to co-op with.

It's a balls-to-the-wall take on core game mechanics, with ghosts, demons and magic.

The control scheme is a bit different than in the main game so I'd advise playing some of the campaign first.

Raids are fucking incredible, but unless you know them inside-out it's a must to communicate with others, so unmute that mic, play with randos till you meet someone nice and team up.

GymWolf

Gold Member
With my 5800X3D + 4070Ti. Native 1440P, maxed out with DLAA I get around 100fps. With DLSS 3+DLAA hovering 140fps (13ms lat). Not a massive difference tbh, and not really worth using FG in this game.

Looks and plays so much better than on my copy on PS5. Glad I waited for this port.
What are the biggest changes? Isn't the ps5 version already at 4k60?

Does it have noticeably better textures on pc?

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
It’s about a minimum fps they registered so maybe it’s a quick drop at a specific demanding spot.
But Topher posted that DLSS can fix it all and push it to 100, so no real worries, yet.
Yep that's probable, the game is gorgeous anyway, when the title appears after the intro it give me goosebumps everytime.

Zathalus

But that graph shows FG adding 22% in performance mode and 33% in quality mode.
Yes? It's still around 10-15ms in most games and way lower then native (without reflex) or console games. I never said it didn't add anything but the vast majority of people are not going to notice differences that small.

Fredrik

Yep that's probable, the game is gorgeous anyway, when the title appears after the intro it give me goosebumps everytime.
Yeah I played about 20 hours on console, it was always a stunning game. Glad that Nixxes yet again made a great port! I’ll jump in when I have more time for it. Currently going through Forbidden West, ”Samus Returnal”, No Rest for the Wicked, plus a few other games.

Gaiff

Can be, depending on the game. Or depending on how sensitive a person is to latency. Or the monitor that is used.
But the question is FG whether it ads latency or not. And it does ad.
10ms is only ever a problem in competitive shooters and all of them run at 200fps on a coffee maker. Games where it is required tend to be AAA blockbusters that are very graphically intensive and these never become popular multiplayer titles.

No one gave a shit about input latency before DLSS3 came onto the scene. Suddenly, console players care about 10ms when they had been playing with 100+ ms latency at 30fps for 2 decades. It's especially hilarious to see a poster champion 30fps with motion blur turn around and say you need 100+ fps to make DLSS3 viable.

winjer

Gold Member
10ms is only ever a problem in competitive shooters and all of them run at 200fps on a coffee maker. Games where it is required tend to be AAA blockbusters that are very graphically intensive and these never become popular multiplayer titles.

No one gave a shit about input latency before DLSS3 came onto the scene. Suddenly, console players care about 10ms when they had been playing with 100+ ms latency at 30fps for 2 decades. It's especially hilarious to see a poster champion 30fps with motion blur turn around and say you need 100+ fps to make DLSS3 viable.

I'm not defending that non-sense about needing 100+fps DLSS to be viable.

I'm just saying that FG does ad some latency. And that is a fact.
Whether that matters will depend on several factors. But that is a whole different discussion.

Gaiff

I'm not defending that non-sense about needing 100+fps DLSS to be viable.

I'm just saying that FG does ad some latency. And that is a fact.
Whether that matters will depend on several factors. But that is a whole different discussion.
Oh, I know you're not defending it. I'm merely saying that within the context of the discussion, 10ms of latency is never "a lot" when discussing DLSS3. It's a lot when CS2 goes from 7 ms to 17 ms but nobody plays games like that with DLSS3 nor is it needed.

Fredrik

Can be, depending on the game. Or depending on how sensitive a person is to latency. Or the monitor that is used.
But the question is FG whether it ads latency or not. And it does ad.
10ms isn’t even a frame at 60fps.
If the monitor is slow then the monitor is the culprit if the game feels sluggish.
I think my 2017 TV is adding 25ms of latency, the AVR likely add a similar amount. When playing No Rest for the Wicked where the parry is direct and important I play it better on the desktop PC where I have a fast screen. Can’t blame the game or Nvidia for that, the living room setup is the problem there.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Yeah I played about 20 hours on console, it was always a stunning game. Glad that Nixxes yet again made a great port! I’ll jump in when I have more time for it. Currently going through Forbidden West, ”Samus Returnal”, No Rest for the Wicked, plus a few other games.
Oh yeah I saw this gif on another thread here (i think ?) and it really tempted me to double dip on returnal, I love this game and the samus mod would elevate it I believe.

winjer

Gold Member
10ms isn’t even a frame at 60fps.
If the monitor is slow then the monitor is the culprit if the game feels sluggish.
I think my 2017 TV is adding 25ms of latency, the AVR likely add a similar amount. When playing No Rest for the Wicked where the parry is direct and important I play it better on the desktop PC where I have a fast screen. Can’t blame the game or Nvidia for that, the living room setup is the problem there.

Even with CP2077, those 10ms are the best case scenario, at quality mode, it's 15ns.
But with other games, it might be much higher.
Like I said, this will depend on the game. So let's not cherry pick results one way or the other.
It will also depend on how sensitive a person is to latency. On what controller he is using. On the monitor or TV, etc.
There are too many variables to be accountable.

6-p.webp

Fredrik

Oh yeah I saw this gif on another thread here (i think ?) and it really tempted me to double dip on returnal, I love this game and the samus mod would elevate it I believe.
Well worth a double dip imo. It’s my favorite Sony game and Super Metroid is my all time favorite game, so when I saw the Metroid mods I just had to have it on PC too. Been playing it for a couple days now. Still think it’s way too difficult for roguelike gameplay but there are mods for that as well, can make the reconstructor cheaper or even free turning it into a Metroid-like save-room when you reach the point where all you want is beat a difficult boss. There are several different Samus mods, suits from different games. Makes an already awesome game even better!
It’s 40% off on Steam now btw 👍

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Well worth a double dip imo. It’s my favorite Sony game and Super Metroid is my all time favorite game, so when I saw the Metroid mods I just had to have it on PC too. Been playing it for a couple days now. Still think it’s way too difficult for roguelike gameplay but there are mods for that as well, can make the reconstructor cheaper or even free turning it into a Metroid-like save-room when you reach the point where all you want is beat a difficult boss. There are several different Samus mods, suits from different games. Makes an already awesome game even better!
It’s 40% off on Steam now btw 👍
I don't really have a problem with its difficulty, it is just the kind of game that I can play without thinking of anything else during sessions.Just play let the reflexes do the rest.But yeah I had a little trouble at first then I switched the way I played it to :

Watchmen Im Not Locked In Here With You GIF by Legendary Entertainment

And then It became probably one of the best games ever to me.

Denton

- Why is it constantly raining and I have to use flute to ever get sunny weather (only for it to start raining again)

- How can I sleep or rest or meditate to go from annoying night time to gorgeous day time (as long as it isn't raining)

Braag

Dude I don't get it. You seemingly hate all the benefits of playing on PC yet you still own one while dunking on it. I hate playing on switch, so I sold my switch, but I'm not going to keep it just to bitch that I spent the same money for a lesser experience.
You should have kept the Switch so you can delude yourself to think that hating on the system online is somehow justified cause you own one.

Three

Even with CP2077, those 10ms are the best case scenario, at quality mode, it's 15ns.
But with other games, it might be much higher.
Like I said, this will depend on the game. So let's not cherry pick results one way or the other.
It will also depend on how sensitive a person is to latency. On what controller he is using. On the monitor or TV, etc.
There are too many variables to be accountable.

6-p.webp
Winjer, while I agree with your point that graph is measured in "scene fps" and not ms.

Fredrik

I don't really have a problem with its difficulty, it is just the kind of game that I can play without thinking of anything else during sessions.Just play let the reflexes do the rest.But yeah I had a little trouble at first then I switched the way I played it to :

Watchmen Im Not Locked In Here With You GIF by Legendary Entertainment

And then It became probably one of the best games ever to me.
I think it’s brutal. People were complaining about Malenia in Elden Ring and I was like ”Pfff nah that’s a kids game compared to Returnal”. I finished it on PS5 but I still think it’s insanely hard. My arch enemy is Phrike, it’s a total noob gate boss and just comes too early before weapons are upgraded and then it’s a three phase thing with melee and all. I hate that guy.
I was at ”This is a 5/10” before I used the cloud save trick and then it was a 10/10. And with a Samus suit it’s a 11/10! 😁
But enough derailing, sorry

Three

He as some valid point but it’s not the whole story…
Anyways back on topic the game IQ on steam deck is really good I’m impressed by the handheld

Again you're approaching this from a PC vs console perspective with sponsored DF content about reflex. He wasn't saying he thinks console is great in latency he was saying what's the point of measuring 140fps when you're getting higher latency than 60fps native. That's all. He even said reflex without framegen is favourable.

Last edited:
Man I really suck at these games. Tried switching to mouse and keyboard yesterday and had to play a quest battle like 30 times to finish it. But this is a game I feel it's worthwhile to git gud at so I'm gonna invest the time.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
How petty of you to call me names and do this 30fps console bs. It’s fine. I am way past this being so important to me. In fact I was already over fps crap when Xbox 360 was a thing. I just play games.

The irony of you lecturing someone on PC of their experience being “lessened” because of Nvidia’s tech, when you excuse yourself playing at inferior 30fps with motion blur.

“I just play games” only applies to you?

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Funny Face Sneezing GIF by Tennis TV

Ah, sorry, I'm allergic to bullshit. If you knew rofif rofif , you would see that he is looking for this. He has double standards and as soon as he is called out, he stops responding.
So at the end of the day, some of us can't take his bullshit anymore. And then he plays the victim.

Again you're approaching this from a PC vs console perspective with sponsored DF content about reflex. He wasn't saying he thinks console is great in latency he was saying what's the point of measuring 140fps when you're getting higher latency than 60fps native. That's all. He even said reflex without framegen is favourable.
Just why do he care? DLSS3 is used by a lot of people and most of them are happy with the added frames. And the added latency IS NOT PERCEPTIBLE. For real I would love to get some people here on my rig and ask them were it's with DLSS3 + FG and were it's not. I'm sure none of those "expert" could tell the difference. But rofif rofif needs to act like an ass and take everyone from his high horse, complaining about added latency when it is even WORSE on consoles. Just why? Let people play on whatever they want with the quality they want, no needs to act like 'I know, and I am, better than any of you". If someone if happy with + 10ms with also + 70FPS on his game, good for him! He wont FEEL the difference on latency, but he will SEE the fluidity.

So yeah, he searched for it and now he is playing the victim "everyone is mean with me 😭😭😭"

rofif

Banned
The irony of you lecturing someone on PC of their experience being “lessened” because of Nvidia’s tech, when you excuse yourself playing at inferior 30fps with motion blur.

“I just play games” only applies to you?
anecdotal.
I know what I am in for with console games and what to expect. I play on console because I value other things. not just fps.
Besides, 30fps is totally fine. Motion blur is a good thing too when it's proper.
Funny Face Sneezing GIF by Tennis TV

Ah, sorry, I'm allergic to bullshit. If you knew rofif rofif , you would see that he is looking for this. He has double standards and as soon as he is called out, he stops responding.
So at the end of the day, some of us can't take his bullshit anymore. And then he plays the victim.

Just why do he care? DLSS3 is used by a lot of people and most of them are happy with the added frames. And the added latency IS NOT PERCEPTIBLE. For real I would love to get some people here on my rig and ask them were it's with DLSS3 + FG and were it's not. I'm sure none of those "expert" could tell the difference. But rofif rofif needs to act like an ass and take everyone from his high horse, complaining about added latency when it is even WORSE on consoles. Just why? Let people play on whatever they want with the quality they want, no needs to act like 'I know, and I am, better than any of you". If someone if happy with + 10ms with also + 70FPS on his game, good for him! He wont FEEL the difference on latency, but he will SEE the fluidity.

So yeah, he searched for it and now he is playing the victim "everyone is mean with me 😭😭😭"
My last post was yesterday few pages back. Why am I still in your head?
I've only said what T Three explained. The rest is answering to stupid accusations because "you are idiot u play 30fps console games". It's idiotic.
I stopped responding because I went to sleep you dipshit.

I have decades of pc gaming behind me. Who if not me is allowed to comment in thread like this? I still play pc games you know?
I just think nvidia puts wool over pc gamers eyes with this stupid framegen. Monke sees bigger number = better.... while it's completely opposite.
FG is only good if you apply it to 70-100fps base because the the frametimes are already so low. But at this point... why even bother with fg? What's the point seeing higher number and making 70fps frametimes feel like 50fps because that's exactly what it is. This is what my comment was about.

This is really simple. And no. I don't want FG on consoles. I play on consoles exactly because I am allergic to all the pc bullshit.
You pc gamers act all high and mighty about 30 fps or even 60ps to the point you don't even know what you are talking about.
you cannot accept the fact that I have the biggest pc experience out here and that's the reason I am turning down the pc experience.
I chased framerates and perfect frametimes when I was a teenager. It doesn't matter anymore.
People played Ghost of tsushima in in 1080p30fps and had best times of their lives. if you need framegen, upscaling and 170fps to do so, that's your loss really.

And again, this conversation turned to more than it should. You again demonized me.
Pc community is so fucking toxic recently. Is it the money you spend on your rigs?! What's the big deal

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member

Kenpachii

anecdotal.
I know what I am in for with console games and what to expect. I play on console because I value other things. not just fps.
Besides, 30fps is totally fine. Motion blur is a good thing too when it's proper.

My last post was yesterday few pages back. Why am I still in your head?
I've only said what T Three explained. The rest is answering to stupid accusations because "you are idiot u play 30fps console games". It's idiotic.
I stopped responding because I went to sleep you dipshit.

I have decades of pc gaming behind me. Who if not me is allowed to comment in thread like this? I still play pc games you know?
I just think nvidia puts wool over pc gamers eyes with this stupid framegen. Monke sees bigger number = better.... while it's completely opposite.
FG is only good if you apply it to 70-100fps base because the the frametimes are already so low. But at this point... why even bother with fg? What's the point seeing higher number and making 70fps frametimes feel like 50fps because that's exactly what it is. This is what my comment was about.

This is really simple. And no. I don't want FG on consoles. I play on consoles exactly because I am allergic to all the pc bullshit.
You pc gamers act all high and mighty about 30 fps or even 60ps to the point you don't even know what you are talking about.
you cannot accept the fact that I have the biggest pc experience out here and that's the reason I am turning down the pc experience.
I chased framerates and perfect frametimes when I was a teenager. It doesn't matter anymore.
People played Ghost of tsushima in in 1080p30fps and had best times of their lives. if you need framegen, upscaling and 170fps to do so, that's your loss really.

And again, this conversation turned to more than it should. You again demonized me.
Pc community is so fucking toxic recently. Is it the money you spend on your rigs?! What's the big deal

I framegenned 45 fps to 90 fps in pathtracing cyberpunk. It's a fuck ton more smoother then base 45 fps.

Saying framegen is useless is basically saying u never used it.

Framegen is godly to push higher framerates and make the image look and feel a ton smoother.

And that's from somebody that has 30 years experience with PC's.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
I framegenned 45 fps to 90 fps in pathtracing cyberpunk. It's a fuck ton more smoother then base 45 fps.

Saying framegen is useless is basically saying u never used it.

Framegen is godly to push higher framerates and make the image look and feel a ton smoother.

And that's from somebody that has 30 years experience with PC's.
Of course I used it.
45 to 90 is terrible. How can you even play like this.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Game plays like your average Assassin's Creed game, but it's clearly much less bloated. Not really impressed

Playing on Lethal really makes you fedl like you are a sole Samurai agaisnt an army.

And holy shit the game is beautiful, the sunset is the most impressive one i'ver seen in a game

rofif

Banned
Aint terrible, if u think its terrible u never used it.
Not on my own pc. Only on friends 4080. I can only do fsr3 and that's bad.
I will be happy to try maybe with 5080 if I get it.

Anyway. some comparisons are in. It's the not recommended channel but it's all there is so far.

edti: 1 difference. no loading on ps5 but it's not even worth talking about

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Not on my own pc. Only on friends 4080. I can only do fsr3 and that's bad.
I will be happy to try maybe with 5080 if I get it.

Anyway. some comparisons are in. It's the not recommended channel but it's all there is so far.

I think the most u get out of framegen is when your framerate is around the 40>70 range and then apply framegen to get higher framerates like 80 > 100+ range. it goes from kinda jankie towards super smooth.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
I think the most u get out of framegen is when your framerate is around the 40>70 range and then apply framegen to get higher framerates. it goes from kinda jankie towards super smooth.
What I experienced best was with hogwarts legacy going from 100 to close to 200. This really felt good.
around 40 base I felt the lag but it's been a few months since I tried it

Top Bottom