• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GQ: "Dwayne Johnson for President!"

Link.

Long so I'll just post two quotes and pictures:

Last June, when The Washington Post published an op-ed suggesting he could be a viable candidate, Johnson posted a screen grab and gave the idea a boost. On Instagram, he called the Post piece “interesting” and “fun to read,” adding that “the most important thing right now is strong honest leadership from our current and future leaders of this country.”

Since then, Johnson tells me, he's given the question more thought. “A year ago,” he says, “it started coming up more and more. There was a real sense of earnestness, which made me go home and think, ‘Let me really rethink my answer and make sure I am giving an answer that is truthful and also respectful.’ I didn't want to be flippant—‘We'll have three days off for a weekend! No taxes!’”

So, after all that consideration, Johnson doesn't hesitate when I ask him whether he honestly might one day give up his life as the highest-paid movie star on earth—which is unquestionably easier, more fun, and more lucrative than being president of the United States—in order to run for office. “I think that it's a real possibility,” he says solemnly.

“How do you think Donald Trump is doing?” I ask.

“Mmm… With any job you come into, you've got to prove yourself. And…” Johnson pauses, performing lightning-fast mental calibrations. “Personally, I feel that if I were president, poise would be important. Leadership would be important. Taking responsibility for everybody. [If I didn't agree with someone] on something, I wouldn't shut them out. I would actually include them. The first thing we'd do is we'd come and sit down and we'd talk about it. It's hard to categorize right now how I think he's doing, other than to tell you how I would operate, what I would like to see.”

“What would you like to see?”

“Right?” Johnson says, laughing. He's obviously a little nervous, plucking at the spandex material stretching across his massive thighs, but he doesn't attempt to end the line of questioning. “I'd like to see a better leadership. I'd like to see a greater leadership. When there's a disagreement, and you have a large group of people that you're in a disagreement with—for example, the media—I feel like it informs me that I could be better. We all have issues, and we all gotta work our shit out. And I feel like one of the qualities of a great leader is not shutting people out. I miss that part. Even if we disagree, we've got to figure it out. Because otherwise I feel, as an American, all I hear and all I see in the example you're setting is ‘Now I'm shutting you out. And you can't come.’ [Disagreement] informs us. The responsibility as president—I [would] take responsibility for everyone. Especially when you disagree with me. If there's a large number of people disagreeing, there might be something I'm not seeing, so let me see it. Let me understand it.”

the-rock-0617-gq-cv01tmjq8.jpg

the-rock-0617-gq-fetraijyn.jpg

Much more at the link.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
He can be such a wimp when it comes to politics. Sorry Rock, but I'm not voting for a carny to replace a carny.

Cagey

Banned
No one would outwork Rocky.

He'd be taking calls at 4am on the DPRK crisis in the middle of the first of his two daily workouts.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
The quotes in the OP sound like a kid bullshitting his way through a question he doesn't know after being unexpectedly called on in class.

I'm inclined to tell all celebrities like Dwayne, that if they are serious, go run for Governor or a Senate seat somewhere first please and show you are serious and can actually govern.

thefro

Trump has a 0.00% chance of beating the Rock. That's really all I care about.

Johnson is a great dude by all accounts and is super smart/hard working.

No thanks. He's a Republican, isn't he?

Registered Independent per the article.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'd take a Chris Evans​ over The Rock. The latter is just way too amicable. I have no idea what he really thinks about anything. At least with the former, he isn't afraid to just say what he actually believes. I mean, this is a puff piece but The Rock just strikes me as a fence sitter who's afraid of disrupting his cash flow by putting the actual thoughts out there.

There's nothing glamourus about state and local politics. It's often shitty and miserable and a lot of the work is boring and difficult.

But people should have to go through it before we just thrust them to the highest office just because they seem cool or whatever.

The presidency has always been a popularity contest but I'd prefer if it stayed a popularity contest amongst people who are actually qualified

UrbanRats

Why would he do this though? When you run for president, everyone will comb through your life bringing out every little dumb shit you did or said in the sun, it sounds like a major pain in the ass that could ruin your image, especially if they make you look like an idiot when it comes to various socio/political issues.
And in the end if you lose, you just look like another clown, if you win, you actually have to run the country, which itself is probably soul crushing and stressful.

Just why would you do this, if youre already at the top of stardom?

There's nothing glamourus about state and local politics. It's often shitty and miserable and a lot of the work is boring and difficult.

But people should have to go through it before we just thrust them to the highest office just because they seem cool or whatever.

The presidency has always been a popularity contest but I'd prefer if it stayed a popularity contest amongst people who are actually qualified

Stayed?

-griffy-

Banned
The quotes in the OP sound like a kid bullshitting his way through a question he doesn't know after being unexpectedly called on in class.
Sounds more like a global superstar who has an incredibly diverse fan base, trying to delicately phrase his answer so as to not overtly anger any one political group.

Acorn

He's in his position partly by not being disagreeable with different market segments.

It is pussy, but he's got movies to sell to fascists too...

The bar keeps getting lower. "Homeless Man on Street considered for democratic presidential candidate"

Oh wait that doesn't jive because you have to have a good amount of money these days.

Like the core principle is having cash.

Second being some form of celebrity.

I suppose Gordon Ramsay and Simon Cowell are foreign born, that's too bad. Gordon Ramsay would make a great president, yelling at the press "You donkey!"

Top Bottom