• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport demo coming Oct. 9

what do people consider the best version to go for, physical day one edition or digital deluxe? interested in the car selection more than extra credits or helmets etc

Bollocks

We talking about the new Thrustmaster wheel? That thing looks amazing. I just think it's going to be almost half price by start of the new year though.

yes the T-GT

The only thing is I have literally no place to permanently set it up, if I play any other game or use the pc it is in the way lol

FeD.nL

yes the T-GT

The only thing is I have literally no place to permanently set it up, if I play any other game or use the pc it is in the way lol

Get a Playseat Challenge and fold the entire chair + wheel/pedals away and put it in a closet. That's what I do.

magawolaz

FIA Pre-season Championship starts 4th of November: https://www.gtplanet.net/gt-sport-fia-championship-pre-season-starts-november-4/
TP34M7s.jpg
Still not many infos on how it'll work.

EDIT: full launch event presentation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rba0GZshr7k

Gestault

I think we should get a Google spreadsheet going specifically for this game.

Did people end up using the main NeoGAF GTS Discord? The channel seemed...underutilized as of a week and a half ago. I had planned on using that like a username list like in earlier games (and an easy-share for track-time comparisons).

Agreed.

what do people consider the best version to go for, physical day one edition or digital deluxe? interested in the car selection more than extra credits or helmets etc

Do you plan on playing frequently, but also going between this and other games/apps a lot? If so, digital.

For me, anything with a viable MP component = digital. SP focused stuff is all disc.

Did people end up using the main NeoGAF GTS Discord? The channel seemed...underutilized as of a week and a half ago. I had planned on using that like a username list like in earlier games (and an easy-share for track-time comparisons).

Might be useful to share that again? Maybe once the OT is up?

Yen

Bought GT6 before this. 21 updates at about 40GB total, took forever. Then it goes to install them, to discover that there is a max limit to what can be installed at once, otherwise it crashes. Delete everything and start again, 6 patches at a time seems to be the solution. Bloody hell.

King_Moc

Banned
Bought GT6 before this. 21 updates at about 40GB total, took forever. Then it goes to install them, to discover that there is a max limit to what can be installed at once, otherwise it crashes. Delete everything and start again, 6 patches at a time seems to be the solution. Bloody hell.

That can't be right. I installed that on Friday and it worked OK. Was your hard drive close to full?

KdotIX

Might be useful to share that again? Maybe once the OT is up?

Psycho_Mantis has the link and will hopefully put it up for all to see in the OT. Theres a username/handle exchange channel which people can use to swap PSN IDs too.

Dinjooh

Mine was painfully slow and had to apply updates one at a time, but I didn't experience anything like you mentioned.

Smokey

I still have the demo installed. It's the full game install right? When I pick up the game tomorrow , I'd like to avoid the install process again if i basically already have it on my ps4.

Bollocks

What's the point of the 3rd pedal, I set transmission to manual and could shift up and down on the wheel without ever using the clutch. This was with a Nissan GTR. Seeing as the T-GT doesn't come with a separate shifter what's the point of the 3rd pedal?

Or are you supposed to use the clutch with cars who don't use a wheel shifter for authenticity?

What's the point of the 3rd pedal, I set transmission to manual and could shift up and down on the wheel without ever using the clutch. This was with a Nissan GTR. Seeing as the T-GT doesn't come with a separate shifter what's the point of the 3rd pedal?

Or are you supposed to use the clutch with cars who don't use a wheel shifter for authenticity?

Most racing cars use semi-auto transmissions (usually duel-clutch) or sequential manual transmission (with a dog-clutch) so in the majority of cases a clutch peddle isn't necessary. Technology wise we are well past needing to use manual input for gears at all as it can be completely automated based on track data but racing rules prevent this level of automation. The only reason you might use manual transmission with a clutch peddle in racing is if you are using a road car and a fan of outdated technology and want to go slower.

i bet the reviews will be brutal because they will be comparing this to older GT titles

Yup.

Did GT6 reviews (or GT5) harp on the series for becoming too iterative in any way? If so, that could be a great comparison. I've noticed a ton of that dissonance among fans, so I assume a few reviewers probably feel the same.

What is a good option for mounting a steering wheel?

I saw someone mention the Playseat Challenge in a post above. How is that?

Is there a good place to buy that in the UK?

I have a Logitech G25 which I bought when Gran Turismo 5 Prologue was new. Shall I buy a new wheel? I don't really know what is different about all the wheels out there. Can I use the G25 on the PS4 if I wanted to?

(I've previously really only been using the G25 in recent years on the PC where my desk is. My TV isn't in a position to take advantage of the desk for wheel mounting.)

DavidDesu

I'll be joining that. It helps that I set my username up years ago as if I were going to be part of the GT Planet community for GT5... and then I never really got involved very much. GTP_David finally has some point to it again! I'm in UK so UK and Euro GAF will be my competitors.. don't think my ping will be much use against US racers.

Angst

I'll be joining that. It helps that I set my username up years ago as if I were going to be part of the GT Planet community for GT5... and then I never really got involved very much. GTP_David finally has some point to it again! I'm in UK so UK and Euro GAF will be my competitors.. don't think my ping will be much use against US racers.
Ping wasn't a big issue in gt5 as we euros often faced with Americans and Australians
Edit - didn't you use to race with us at the time?

King_Moc

Banned
i bet the reviews will be brutal because they will be comparing this to older GT titles

But this plays a lot better?

Are people really that annoyed at the loss of a load of identikit filler tournaments against poor, rubber banded AI?

I played about 10 hours of GT6 at the weekend, and playing GT Sport and fighting for 12th place with a random French guy was infinitely more exhilarating than the processions GT6 was giving me.

Yopis

Hey does the beta we all downloaded unlock into final version if buying digitally? Or do we need to delete beta and start normal preload.

Getting this digital on psn store. I still have beta download though forgot to delete that.

DavidDesu

Ping wasn't a big issue in gt5 as we euros often faced with Americans and Australians
Edit - didn't you use to race with us at the time?

Using a broadband dongle for the next couple of months. My ping on Rocket League is around 60 to 70ms and I can play fine and competitively at that. Was a bit better when I used to have fibre broadband and ping was around 30ms instead. I hope 60ish ping is ok for this.

When I raced in GT5 in the past there was usually cars pinging around all over the place. I've heard the racing had been much better in GT Sport, as it should be given its the focus of the title now.

Can't wait for clean racing against similarly skilled players to me (I'm decent but probably a few seconds off the absolute top players, and I could get top 50 times on some Driveclub tracks though that's a different beast altogether).

Are people really that annoyed at the loss of a load of identikit filler tournaments against poor, rubber banded AI?

I played about 10 hours of GT6 at the weekend, and playing GT Sport and fighting for 12th place with a random French guy was infinitely more exhilarating than the processions GT6 was giving me.
Who knows really...I’m sure there will be critics on both sides. I think it’ll settle in the mid 80’s...

It’s a quality Gran Turismo IMHO, just very different than the usual.

ty_hot

Servers aren't region locked right? Asking because I don't recall racing against non EU players in the demo.

Somehow I think the matchmaking is based on your account region and not your actual location. I am in Spain and use my Brazilian account (I downloaded the game from the Spanish store though) and I only played against Brazilians, mexicans, Argentineans and lots of American people. (Sport mode)

In the lobbies I only saw European people creating rooms, but I didn't check that more than twice.

Meaning I have no idea if it's locked, but it doesn't make sense.

DavidDesu

I agree with this. I was getting sick of the same old single player of past GTs. Especially when starting off in awful cars, racing against Honda Jazz's or whatever. If the online racing really is as good as it could be, both technically and with the ratings system meaning you're driving against similarly skilled and respectful racers (or not lol), then the actual racing element will finally be incredible which is where I've thought GT (and most other racers) have been severely lacking.

Also looking at the demo and people's impressions of it PD have absolutely nailed a good fluid UI. It looks classy as anything and is quick, which helps to make the whole experience of playing so much nicer and less frustrating than in the past. And while I can't talk for Forza, GT has better looking menus than any other similar racer I've seen on PS4. It feels like a great place to just hang out, view some awesome cars and scenery, muck about with liveries and Scapes, and listen to some chilled music... I can't wait. The lack of content at launch probably will see it being docked a point but on every other count GT Sport seems to have nailed everything.

Who knows really...I’m sure there will be critics on both sides. I think it’ll settle in the mid 80’s...

It’s a quality Gran Turismo IMHO, just very different than the usual.

I think this is what's annoying people, the fact it's so different from the past 6 games in the series, but it's also a chance for them to reinvent the wheel, as it were, and shift their focus to a new type of GT.

There's a guy on Facebook swearing blind telling me there's no single player career and I'm telling him there's the content for single player career just in a different form, so it's hard to get across the fact that it's not actually lacking that content, it's just no longer the main focus.

Yes, I am that annoyed, because I don't want to play against other people. It takes more time and is way too stressful for me after working 12 or 14 hours a day. SP in GT6 would be "fixed" for me if they allowed standing starts in the campaign. GTS having so little SP content is a huge bummer for me, because I like the series. Bought GT5 and GT6 day one and even though I've been burned by those purchases, I'd still be there for GTS, if it had a similar amount of SP content and at least a good 100 road cars.

I don't want them to ditch the focus for GT Sport, but I'd appreciate it if they'd throw users like me a bone and not leave me without an alternative. I've read that they're going to patch more SP content in later, but I'm definitely going to wait for a while. Same goes for the price for the DLC cars.

King_Moc

Banned
I agree with this. I was getting sick of the same old single player of past GTs. Especially when starting off in awful cars, racing against Honda Jazz's or whatever. If the online racing really is as good as it could be, both technically and with the ratings system meaning you're driving against similarly skilled and respectful racers (or not lol), then the actual racing element will finally be incredible which is where I've thought GT (and most other racers) have been severely lacking.

Also looking at the demo and people's impressions of it PD have absolutely nailed a good fluid UI. It looks classy as anything and is quick, which helps to make the whole experience of playing so much nicer and less frustrating than in the past. And while I can't talk for Forza, GT has better looking menus than any other similar racer I've seen on PS4. It feels like a great place to just hang out, view some awesome cars and scenery, muck about with liveries and Scapes, and listen to some chilled music... I can't wait. The lack of content at launch probably will see it being docked a point but on every other count GT Sport seems to have nailed everything.

Yeah, exactly. My only concerns are tracks and cars. My favourite part of the single player was always the license tests, and they look to be pretty good here.

Hey does the beta we all downloaded unlock into final version if buying digitally? Or do we need to delete beta and start normal preload.

Getting this digital on psn store. I still have beta download though forgot to delete that.

The beta file is now useless, the full game is a seperate install.

Top Bottom