• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport demo coming Oct. 9

Sygma

No you don't. There's an option that brings up the word brake at the bottom of your hud when you need to brake and then the markers tell you where you need to be aiming your car. You can build from there and start to learn.

Hey man, completely unrelated but where did you find the rubberbanding option ?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
so i guess the demo confirms that the only thing you can do offline is arcade. you cant even save or play driving school unless you're online

Hwoar

Got disconnected while it was matching players and now I just have a black screen with a cursor in the middle. Had to force close the game.

Had this at my 2 attempts to play online. Third time is on preparing now but it's going to do the same I think.

Racing line massively hampers engagement.

Those hooked on racing line, just pick a relatively straightforward track e.g. Brands Hatch Indy. Pick a well -handling car (e.g. Porsche gt4 clubbie).

Once you know the corners, start to learn the braking point of each corner, i.e. when do you need to apply the brakes with full force to stop in time, deep into the corner, and be able to then turn and hit the corner apex?

Just work on all the corner entries, get those right so you know all the braking points, only then start to add corner exit, using the full width of the track, smooth gradual throttle to make sure you don't unbalance the car.

That's kind of it! Two biggest tips:
- smooth inputs (steering, braking, throttle)
- vision: always be focused on as far as u can in the distance...totally different to road driving

I often do track days in my Porsche 993, including Brands Hatch, Donnington etc. Works it real life..it'll work in GT!!
That's some great advice. Thanks man.

ghibli99

Got stuck at a 'preparing to match' screen or something while doing practice laps. Can't even quit out of this back to the main menu; have to close the app. :(

Tried my first race against AI, couldn't even get out of 12th place. LOL Maybe GT has just passed me by. I'd actually rather just play DC, which is saying a lot since that isn't even my favorite racing game.

Just got another network error while it was trying to set up the race, thats two in a row, seems they are having issues.

Edit: Now it’s saying server is under maintenance again.

SpecX

Demo downloaded last night and I got 1 race in this morning. This is my first GT game since 5 and holy shit does this game look amazing. The cars actually feel heavy, the environments look great, the sounds are really good. I'm ready to play again, but I'm torn between finishing up Destiny 2 weekly milestones, Battlefront beta, and this.

Seriously, are all the trees 2d in the game?

Both shocked and impressed at the foliage. A lot of the 2d trees look undiscernible from 3d during gameplay.

Although at times it fails and look horrendous

Wow. Not a single frame below 60fps for Pro, and extremely rare dips for base PS4.

We've come a long way from GT6's performance, holy crap.

Yup. This is a really focused, polished and refined GT from everything we've seen thus far. Really looking forward to downloading this at 6PM today.

Mohasus

I understand the purpose of the game perfectly, I just think they removed the best learning tool previous GT had to make people get better and offered poor options in it's place.

That said, time to grind and get better.
if it really were the best learning tool, you wouldn't need it after 10 years of racing games.

Given the online focus of this entry, it is understandable why there is no racing line.

Both shocked and impressed at the foliage. A lot of the 2d trees look undiscernible from 3d during gameplay.

They have a nice trick with the shadowing on them that most of the time looks good, it does fail sometimes though as you said.

alba

Little is the new Big
Just finished all gold in my tests then of course I get the server is under maintenance warning, nooo :(

DieH@rd

Banned
The game refuses to switch to 4K output with my Sony 4K TV. It fired up 4K HQ mode once before public servers went live.

dracula_x

If that's the case why do they even offer a 'framerate' mode on the Pro?

Don't get me wrong, a solid 60fps on the base is absolutely the way it should be, with Pro only adding enhancements.

well, we didn't see all weather effects yet, like fog or rain, so maybe this is why

Crayon

The n100 sport race for me has failed to start every time. 3 tries now. The n300 works great.

This is so different. I'm really liking it.

I don't think the foliage looks great at any point, but they're passably mediocre during races. During replays, it becomes very obvious that they're 2D sprites and makes the game look dated in that respect. But perhaps it helped them reach 60fps. By contrast, I don't actually know if DriveClub trees are sprites or not, but they look good enough and feel cohesive enough with the lighting engine that they've never stood out as odd.

Hwoar

Got stuck at a 'preparing to match' screen or something while doing practice laps. Can't even quit out of this back to the main menu; have to close the app. :(

Tried my first race against AI, couldn't even get out of 12th place. LOL Maybe GT has just passed me by. I'd actually rather just play DC, which is saying a lot since that isn't even my favorite racing game.

Hmm I would try longer and mess with some settings , it doesn't feel harder then DC if you turn a little bit of assists on?

ghibli99

Hmm I would try longer and mess with some settings , it doesn't feel harder then DC if you turn a little bit of assists on?
Yeah, not sure what's going on... DC has never felt "right" to me, but the periphery stuff and various side goals keep each race interesting, at least. GT, for at least the last few iterations, has felt a bit too pedestrian/sterile, and while I can appreciate the pure driving aspect, I might just be at the point where I need more out of the genre. We'll see though. Gonna put more time into it tonight and see how I feel. I do know that I still loathe license-style tests, even though these were easy to gold. LOL

so i guess the demo confirms that the only thing you can do offline is arcade. you cant even save or play driving school unless you're online

No the demo has online checks because otherwise someone can download this and play it forever. The demo will cease to be playable in 4 days.

terrible

Banned
This has the heaviest FFB ever, holy shit. Just turning the wheel is a workout. Changing the settings seemed to have 0 impact on the feel too. Maybe it's a glitch?

edit: and the game crashes when i enter the options menu on the home screen lol

farisr

1) this is still in the game, very much so, just play the game and stop complaining
I'll complain all I want thank you very much, especially if it's in response to someone acting snarky. And I think it's obvious that by campaign in the reply, it was referring to the career mode of old
2) the difference between SFV at launch was skilled players versus casual. There is a group that felt it tedious to go through an Arcade mode to unlock colors and outfits instead of just getting to the reason they bought the game, to play against other opponents online. This was in sharp contrast to people who are intimidated by online play and wanted a meaty SP experience. SFV arcade edition is finally getting both sides what they want.
I really don't see how this is any different honestly. It's pretty much mirroring it quite closely. There is a group that didn't like to play SF arcade? There's a group that didn't like to play GT campaign. There's a group that didn't like to play SF online? There's a group that doesn't like to play GT online. My post was in reference to the Street Fighter V launch, not what is changing about the game. If you notice, people complaining about arcade mode have mostly gone away now that Capcom has officially announced a release date for the mode. Take a guess what's the only way complaints about GT career are going to really go away?
3) you complain a lot and it's annoying...and it's no better than the SFV fans dismissing the SP content as unimportant. A campaign is here in GT, a leveling system, and tons of things to do before you ever go online.
What you're doing is no different than the SFV launch defenders thinking survival, character stories and vs AI in training was enough content for people into SP modes. Fact of the matter is no, this content is not enough for people who were into GT career modes in the past and want one right now. This does not even remotely provide the same experience. Period. And if you want to go there, your constant defense of this game and complaining about people complaining is annoying. If you and others want me and others to stop talking about this, how about trying yourself to not bring up the issue (my posts in this thread in regards to this matter have only been in response to others downplaying the situation. Before that guess what, I have multiple posts in this topic that are strictly talking about the demo and trying to correct misconceptions. So basically:
just play the game and stop complaining

Audioboxer

Says server maintenance for me? I can't do anything right now but watch the sexy screensavers.

lol, this better not have flaky servers at launch after all the transition to e-sports. PD can't afford a Driveclub launch.

Top Bottom