• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport demo coming Oct. 9

dracula_x

:)

sGTuRJt.png

kest1Zy.png

---

Mileage Exchange section:

7zM7ga8.png

GRDrJQu.png

I love playing the game and the presentation but idk if I will stick with the multiplayer focus or the scheduled races as it is.

Also rally racing feels broken. Like some values got set wrong. Because that felt like driving a car in gta with low friction.

Really enjoying the game. Presentation is top notch and the gameplay is a blast. Not sure what we actually do with the cars we "own" though considering online racing is just selecting predetermined cars...

A little hesitant still if I will pick this up. Not really digging the lack of a "SP campaign," but what really has me nervous is the online. This game being so focused online means its focus on community is important, and so far my experience with other drivers has been pretty poor. The SR system in theory is good, but I think the execution is really flawed.

Someone brakes late through a corner and runs into the back of me causing me to spin out? My SR drops.
Someone takes out my rear as I move to give them space to pass? My SR drops.
Someone cuts me off as I moving around them and hits me off to the side? My SR drops.

Luckily I've been able to maintain a B still, but it's not very fun losing SR when people are driving crazy, and this has me a bit hesitant on the actual game too. Guess we'll see in the next day or two how my online matches go.

Neith

Banned
I love playing the game and the presentation but idk if I will stick with the multiplayer focus or the scheduled races as it is.

Also rally racing feels broken. Like some values got set wrong. Because that felt like driving a car in gta with low friction.

Indeed, people need to sound an alarm on this portion of this game. The tarmac stuff is amazing. Rally is fucked. You can literally crash all over the fucking map and still get at least a silver lol. I played it a bit in the circuits and I was just laughing.

Feels like ice driving all over the place. They need to really rethink that mode IMHO.

No way the full game is only 43g's. No way.

Driving line is usualy a double edged sword, becuase while it tells you the optimal line, it quickly becoming driving the line instead of the course - and if it's a "dynamic" line, then you battle with when to break instead of using your head and eyes. Better ways to learn exist.

Don't use driving line, use markers and brake indicator instead. It's a middle ground between always on driving line and no guide at all.

Doesn't this game crash for anyone else every time you try to go up the options menu? I want to change to goddamn metric measurements and the game boots me out as soon as I click on he GT logo on the top left corner of the screen!

In sport mode you have entry times, so look at the time and go do something else until it opens.

Then you have qualifying for 10 minutes or so. This is so that you can get to know the car/track better in time for the race and more importantly set a time that dictates the group you will be racing against and your grid placement.

Then the race starts.

It's pretty standard fare for any semi serious online racing event. If you want to jump into quicker more casual races then there are other modes for that in this game.

I've really been enjoying doing the qualifying bits, although so far I've been very surprised at how much lower other people's times are. I usually manage to shave off a few seconds, but other players seem to be able to grind out another 4 or 5 seconds on me for their best times.

I also like how that's consequential, as, like you said, it dictates your group and grid placement. I would like to see how this might be transposed into other competitive online games.

Indeed, people need to sound an alarm on this portion of this game. The tarmac stuff is amazing. Rally is fucked. You can literally crash all over the fucking map and still get at least a silver lol. I played it a bit in the circuits and I was just laughing.

Feels like ice driving all over the place. They need to really rethink that mode IMHO.

I was pretty much on board until the rally racing.

That's going to be a deal breaker for me to have a mode be that messed up.

A little hesitant still if I will pick this up. Not really digging the lack of a "SP campaign," but what really has me nervous is the online. This game being so focused online means its focus on community is important, and so far my experience with other drivers has been pretty poor. The SR system in theory is good, but I think the execution is really flawed.
There's no denying that the "campaign" stuff is lacking compared to what people expect from a modern game, but it's standard content for a GT game. This is the area that needs the biggest overhaul in the next title.

SR is... SR. Just keep doing your thing and you'll get sorted out to better drivers after not that long. If you can remain at B it'll eventually work out, but there will always be new players at that tier. Working yourself up to A pretty much instantly clears up the issue. Yeah it's not perfect, and no penalty system could possibly be perfect, but people rightfully have high expectations and would like to see more refinement here. It's waaaaaaaaay better than how it started in the beta, I'll say. In the first versions, it was a scale of 0-100 and you were penalized even for stuff like running off track or clipping a wall by yourself!

IISANDERII

Not really digging the lack of a "SP campaign," but what really has me nervous is the online. This game being so focused online means its focus on community is important, and so far my experience with other drivers has been pretty poor. The SR system in theory is good, but I think the execution is really flawed.
Mine has been great; I race clean so I'm matched up with other clean drivers. It worked great in the private beta as well.

nikos

It seems like people are still being rewarded for driving like morons. I pass cleanly, then they come barreling passed me while smacking into everything a few seconds later. Also feels like I'm accruing penalties and losing positions for being bumped around.

I like the ghosting implementation, but it's hard to tell when you're going to collide with somebody or go through them. I also like the rating implementation, but I seem to lose SR for others knocking me around.

Hopefully the online experience is refined a bit because, other than those who play bumper cars, the setup is actually quite nice.

Aspiring

There's no denying that the "campaign" stuff is lacking compared to what people expect from a modern game, but it's standard content for a GT game. This is the area that needs the biggest overhaul in the next title.

In genuinely curious as to how its lacking? I have yet to touch online and have not even fi ished all challenges available in demo and i got the achievement for hpurs played and it says i have clocked up 8 hours.

I understand im going everything gold and some people may not but even still i would hardly call it lacking, and maybe PD will add in some single player tournaments that are timed as well as online. Who knows

One area in which i am worried is the cars. There really isnt many.

One thing that is slightly weird and is a personal thing is that the rex looks wrong. I dont know what it is....but something seems off. I own both a 2015 and a 2014 stink eye ( this one im dirty isnt in the game, It looks so good in forza) and the interior as well as outside looks off. Shame as obviously my fav car.

EDIT: One other thing i miss is a mode like FORZAvista. Being able to open doors, bonnet and here a small something about the car is such a wonderful touch and would love a mode similar especially considering the small list.

Nightfall

Had about an hour with the demo so far and I'm loving it!

The menus and presentation are great. It's this relaxing and soothing vibe which really gets elevated by the ambient music. You just feel at home and every menu and screen looks like it's made for real car geeks.

The graphics are great, very clean, lighting is fantastic and it runs soooo smooth.

But the actual driving is the absoltely best thing about it. The physics feel great. Even on the pad you can feel the weight of the car, the balance, it's really something.

I'm also enjoying the single player. The challenges are really fun and loading times are not that bad.

I guess it's a full price for me.

farisr

In genuinely curious as to how its lacking? I have yet to touch online and have not even fi ished all challenges available in demo and i got the achievement for hpurs played and it says i have clocked up 8 hours.

I understand im going everything gold and some people may not but even still i would hardly call it lacking, and maybe PD will add in some single player tournaments that are timed as well as online. Who knows
What the campaign mostly consists of in this game was just the intro in past GT game's career modes. That's why it is considered to be lacking. And yes, this many hours did get racked up in the introductory phases in those games as well if you were going for gold.

WoolyNinja

Dammit! Played some more and while a little better than earlier still getting some motion sickness/dizziness!? I don't think this is really the fault of the game as more and more games are doing this to me the older I get. I'm just very depress as this game is so damn good so far.

I'm starting to wonder if I need glasses and any game with thin text is whats setting off my motion sickness as my eyes are trying to focus too much too read it. (Nier Automata was another that messed me up good)

Aspiring

What the campaign mostly consists of in this game was just the intro in past GT game's career modes. That's why it is considered to be lacking. And yes, this many hours did get racked up in the introductory phases in those games as well if you were going for gold.

But there are races integrated into the challenges and literally we got such a small amount of them. We dont know how they will eventually play out do we? There may be say tournaments in the challenges.

Predwolf

For the life of me I can't take a 'realistic' photo in Scapes. It was pretty easy to do in GT4/5, but the car stands out like crazy in this.

Sorry guys, need help, beginner here.

Can't complete beginners 8, there's no way I get in time, I'm watching videos and everyone reach the curve at 72mph at least while I just get there at 65, no matter how I time my start I can't pass 65/66.

Also, I notice on videos that the gas meter is always full while in my case it drops to half as soon as I get control on the car.

Help!?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
i am going to become addicted to sport mode. it is inevitable. so satisfying when matching finishes and you qualified in the top 3. :)

Zok310

Banned
I’m loving this shit cannot put it down, progression feels just right. Only issue there seems to be no more GT tradional campaign which kinda sucks.

Mohasus

Played for about an hour. No crashes, standard PS4.

I really liked what I played, except that rally sucks and the AI is too aggressive sometimes. If I brake late on the inside, I'm getting rear ended 50% of the time. :(

There's a 30 lap endurance race in the beta and who knows what else in the full version.

It's clearly a lot more substantial than we first thought. Probably will last as long as any other GT campaign.

Guys, I can't stop playing this beta. I think I'm gonna try to scrounge some stuff together to trade in so I can afford this next week.

Despite still having some menu-within-menu layout problems, I do think the presentation here is actually quite great. Seeing cars move through the various types of scenery after taking a look at them in the dealership, the music in and out of races, the main menus being alive with information and celebration of things within and without automobile culture in really tactful ways, the graphics, and the handling model that feels more complex and refined than ever but still completely doable to a casual peasant like me in a market where the grand celebration seems to be moving toward the Assetto Corsas and Project Cars hardcore sims, which feel just a bit overly complex and challenging to someone like me who is more into these GT/Forza types of games because of the racing videogame aspect and not so much the deep intricate vehicular celebration aspect...

I mean, I am just a little bummed that the traditional Career Mode is absent to give single player a bit more structure, but the Arcade Single Race, Campaign, and Custom Event all seem to be highly replayable to me in the beta, even with the limited range of courses and vehicles available to me. The AI isn't quite as complex and unpredictable as drivatars in Forza, but it is a huge step up from the basic driving patterns of past GT games -- enough where I'm convinced it's relatively good.

Very, very surprising, and continues to be a positive experience. I had posted my last impression last night as of about 3 hours played, and I've managed to throw in a good additional 5 hours or so. I want to get the full version so I can more readily access more cars and drive more courses... It's shockingly good for a non-traditional GT.

If they do eventually make a GT7 with this game as the baseline, that game is going to blow my mind, I think... But even so, this game is convincing me more and more that it absolutely has a right to exist along the GT release canon.

Mobius 1

Made my first livery, a classic helmet livery from Emerson Fittipaldi for his F7 VGT concept car.

Turned out fairly decent, look it up if you have the car.

Also, join the Gran Turismo Association community on PS4, that’s the GAF crowd from the old NRL.

I really wish they had VR in this demo. I would not be hesitating right now if I knew how VR looked and played/felt. Though, I've been having a blast online and just in awe how amazing the game looks at times.

Played for about an hour. No crashes, standard PS4.

I really liked what I played, except that rally sucks and the AI is too aggressive sometimes. If I brake late on the inside, I'm getting rear ended 50% of the time. :(

I hope people get disqualified for this in online races, it’s dangerous as fuck in reality.

farisr

There's a 30 lap endurance race in the beta and who knows what else in the full version.

It's clearly a lot more substantial than we first thought. Probably will last as long as any other GT campaign.
The 30 lap battle was a surprise, but let's not get too crazy here. The only way that'd happen is if all the missions in stage 7 and 8 were endurance races. People are vastly understating what past GT games' career modes consisted of.

Top Bottom