• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto V - Review Thread | Take 2

Am I the only one confused why a publisher would embargo reviews up until the day before release when they know they have a 10/10 title on their hands? Always seems suspicious to me.

A lot of publishers do this actually.

But Rockstar is pretty well-known for being really stingy with review copies and carefully choosing who gets them so I guess it's their way of controlling the narrative.

ironcreed

Banned
Mmm PS3 looks washed out, but on the other hand I don't really trust these vids. Gonna wait for Leadbetter on DF. Seems like a face-off will be on tomorrow at 11.

It is hard to tell with a compressed Youtube video, but the main difference I see is the PS3 version is lighter. Surely not worth splitting hairs over.

Sanctuary

I just don't get the love for this series. I mean, the world building is always pretty top notch, but after the first eight hours or so, the initial novelty of driving around jacking new cars and picking up prostitutes while listening to the mostly hilarious or simply good radio stations wears off. I got super bored with GTA 3 (which is what I bought a PS2 for) really quickly, and I couldn't make it past the ten hour mark in GTA 4.

Help me understand how I'm viewing it wrong.

rottame

GTA is cheap satire. All characters are usually one dimensional representing a specific stereotype to the extreme. Its not some example of amazing writing. Its just trying to be something more than it is.

Taken on a granular level, yes, it may not be the most refined satire. However, the strenght of GTA's satirical attitude is that is so vast and big and pervasive that it becomes more effective. It's like American Psycho: if you take the main character by himself, he is a paper thin parody. But the novel is so relentless, so horrendously violent, so extreme and so absolute in involving the whole main character's worldview that the satire becomes something else. In the same spirit, GTA is a cocaine-fueled, nihilistic, extreme, misanthropic (at least on the surface) tour de force of satire. It's grotesque on a scale that no other game and very few other work of culture managed to achieve.
Also, it's quite fun.

MajorPain

Believe it or not, there are actually people in real life who talk like that.

Don't want to listen to that for 30+ hours. It was a big turn off for me in GTA 4 and will probably be the same this time around if not worse. It would have been nice if they would have added a filter to turn that off. And believe or not not everyone on the street talks like that in real life.

Brizzo24

GT, and I'm sure other news sites, reported that you SHOULDN'T INSTALL the Play Disk. Here's why:

Grand Theft Auto V on the Xbox 360 will come on two discs, one for installation and the other to play/load the game. While the X360 has enjoyed optional disc installs for any game since its dashboard update in 2008, Rockstar is recommending Xbox 360 players that they do not install the "play" disc.

Advice provided in a tweet reply by @RockstarSupport states, "For optimal performance, we recommend not installing that disc. We will have more info on our Support Site at launch."

Video to explain further:

Youtube: http://youtu.be/v0gPB0gdoOM

Jockel

I just don't get the love for this series. I mean, the world building is always pretty top notch, but after the first eight hours or so, the initial novelty of driving around jacking new cars and picking up prostitutes while listening to the mostly hilarious or simply good radio stations wears off. I got super bored with GTA 3 (which is what I bought a PS2 for) really quickly, and I couldn't make it past the ten hour mark in GTA 4.

The writing seems to be a lot better now and the missions are supposed to be diverse and fun.
I wasn't so hot on the older GTA games, but I'm so hyped for V now.

QaaQer

There is no surprise that this game did well with almost every review website, giving this game a 9/10 will end up with a flamewar on the review and death threats from the rabid fanboys.

If review scores are massaged upwards, that is the most likely reason. Tom Chick talked about the venomous stuff sent his way after he gave a 3/5 or something to some Halo-type game. Crazy.

nib95

Banned
Unless there's some deeper narrative involving these things my bet would be that most of these themes will be covered briefly in order to serve some larger crazier storyline or used as one-off lines in the radio station.

We'll see, but consider me skeptical given what they've written before.

I don't think so. It's clear the writers of this game have some serious talent and an eye for particular indirect details or representations.

Honestly, I can see GTA V being a satirical microcosm of Western culture. A bit like The Onion of video games.

KePoW

Banned
Don't want to listen to that for 30+ hours. It was a big turn off for me in GTA 4 and will probably be the same this time around if not worse. It would have been nice if they would have added a filter to turn that off. And believe or not not everyone on the street talks like that in real life.

A filter would be completely unrealistic for a game like this.

Also no one is saying "everyone". I'm sure not every random civilian on the sidewalk in the game cusses. But you don't think the three main characters in this game would be the type to cuss?

Have you ever watched gangster/mafia movies, or movies depicting criminal culture & elements? Lots of cussing in those cultures.

I don't see people complaining about cussing in any movies. Granted that's 2 hours instead of 20, but you have the option of not playing this type of game if it's not your thing.

Loudninja

It is hard to tell with a compressed Youtube video, but the main difference I see is the PS3 version is lighter. Surely not worth splitting hairs over.
I think we seen enough comparison pics and whatnot to know that's not the case.

One is not lighter than the other,actually we have pics of these exact scenes.

j-wood

If all you did was steal cars and pick up prostitutes, you're doing it wrong.

For me, doing things like stealing an RV, driving to the top of the mountain, hitting a ramp and flying off the side, parachuting out just before it explodes, cannot be replicated or enjoyed enough. Even more so when I don't make it out in time and go down in my RV of doom

I'm sure both will be fine. I'm more interested in the framerate of both versions. For me a jerky framerate would be the real killer, instead of a few more leaves on a tree. Anyway, thanks for the vid.

Sojgat

You're not, but you did forget to mention that it all controls like garbage.

Sanctuary

The writing seems to be a lot better now and the missions are supposed to be diverse and fun.
I wasn't so hot on the older GTA games, but I'm so hyped for V now.

Well, the past games always looked like they had all of the right ingredients to get me hooked, yet the end result felt either undercooked or overcooked. I might end up renting this to see if my opinion has changed much. I know many people felt that RDR was "the best game ever" too, and I was instantly bored with it as well. I can't really play through hum-drum gameplay just to get to the story bits that are supposed to be the glue that holds it together.

You're not, but you did forget to mention that it all controls like garbage.

Hah. There's that too, but I thought it was just me sucking with them.

nikos

I really don't want to get this game for 360, but if the PS3 version is missing clouds then I'm left with no choice.

EDIT: They must be dynamic in the comparison video.

Draconian

I have to admit I've not really cared much about the story or writing in these games, just as long as the missions and controls are fun. I just have to laugh in some of these reviews where they try to play up how "epic" the story in GTA IV was.

NeoGiff

I hadn't pre-ordered the game, and was willing to just wait a few days until I could stroll casually into a store and pick up a copy, but this thread forced me to cave in and go digital. Pre-loading now!

In regard to GTAV, it seems that there are very little points of contention amongst the major reviews. It should surely be an almost universal GOTY, then? In comparison, while I love TLOU and think it deserves all of its praise, I can see why some people may not think highly of it. That certainly isn't the case here!

Thank, you R*.

Comparison gif

If this is not OK or not the thread for this let me know and I will remove it.

After staring at the screens for far too long, it's clear the trees look better in that screen shot on the 360 version; but the sand looks better on PS3 (by the fences the sand looks 50% more sandier). Also there is a guy by the fence (center far right) who is in some sort of Death robe on the PS3 version but strips down to his swim shorts for the 360 version.

sqwarlock

Different tastes for different people. I, for one, love the "mindlessness" of GTA games. I can still get hours of joy by loading up GTA IV, entering a few cheat codes, and causing mayhem. I've never been bored by a GTA game, and I don't plan on starting now.

Top Bottom