• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Just did probably the most cinematic combat sequence ive ever played in a video game. You fight maybe 20 enemies 1 on 1 but after every enemy take down you get other NPCs coming in for an assist or some other stupendously animated takedown. It is effectively a 10-15 minute setpiece that goes in and out of cutscenes without ever cutting. I dont like one shot takes in games anymore but this is why those one shot takes were created. It feels cohesive and for once cutscenes dont take you out of the gameplay experience. The fact that each of these takedowns is unique means they basically mocapped a long 10-15 minute battle and then stitched it together seamlessly with gameplay.

Yes, it helps that the game looks flawless during these combat sequences. It legit feels like you are playing a movie. I honestly dont think ive been this impressed by a realtime setpiece/cutscene since those TLOU2 chase scenes. It makes the 1v1 Abby vs Brute fight look like childs play. Took 4 years but TLOU2 has finally been topped in terms of cinematics and setpieces. This is fucking insane.

They do a couple more tracking shots and i dont think i will ever get over how awesome they look. I hate the walking gameplay and nearly quit the game last night after another hour long walking sequence but im glad i stuck around. This isnt just a new industry benchmark, it is cinematic excellence on a level rarely seen even in movies.
Yep. That’s the sequence I was talking about. I played that high as hell and my jaw was on the floor.

There’s an equally if not more impressive one later on as well.

The final bit of the game was fucking awesome.

But this is what I had in mind when I read 1 VS 1 combat. If done right , there should be nothing that comes close to that level of viscerally intense combat

I don’t think it’ll be touched until TLOU 3

nemiroff

Gold Member
Nah, gameplay is a part of a discussion about graphical fidelity in... games.
Especially when it comes to the topic of how cohesive the entire thing feels.

"nobody cares" except all the people in here discussing it, if you aren't interested feel free to get out.
Yup. If that's the discussion you want in a thread dedicated to graphics because the forum doesn't have enough of it everywhere else, then you can be sure you can have the fuck at it alone. Enjoy your well-earned farce buddy.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yup. If that's the discussion you want in a fucking graphics thread because the forum doesnt have enough of it everywhere else, then you can be sure you can have the fuck at it alone. Enjoy your console wars buddy.
the offtopics agenda guys weren't the one steering the discussion into more of a gameplay type of discussion

We often talk a bit about gameplay if it is related to the graphic or animations.

The whole topic is very discussion fluid :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yep. That’s the sequence I was talking about. I played that high as hell and my jaw was on the floor.

There’s an equally if not more impressive one later on as well.

The final bit of the game was fucking awesome.

But this is what I had in mind when I read 1 VS 1 combat. If done right , there should be nothing that comes close to that level of viscerally intense combat

I don’t think it’ll be touched until TLOU 3
Yep. They do a pretty good job of mixing in different types of enemies. There was one who was like those sekiro guys who landed like 5-6 attacks in a row. I mostly only parry instead of dodge so it was an awesome clash of swords. I think the combat mechanics wouldve made for a very fun melee combat game if they had gone that route, and expanded upon your arsenal by giving you Mace, Hammers and Axe weapons like your enemies wield. But i guess they wanted to make a walking game with like one combat encounter per hour so this is what we get. Maybe even some mini bosses with multiple health bars a la sekiro which had a similar 1v1 combat focus most of the time.

It's really frustrating because the action setpieces is where this game truly shines. The animation work during combat is amazing. They shouldve kept walking to 10% and setpieces and boss fights to 90%. not the other way around. The tornado setpiece was also very cool.

Last edited:

Lethal01

Yup. If that's the discussion you want in a thread dedicated to graphics

Thanks, I'm more than happy to stop this thread from becoming a place to just praise tech demos and point to them as what games should be instead of actual games.

Feel free to make a thread about the best graphics in cutscenes but this thread likes to go a bit deeper.

I’m not sure how you can be a graphics whore and say Hellblade 2 combat sucks? Doesn’t make any sense

These visuals should be the benchmark moving forward for combat based games
The visuals in the combat are phenomenal - it looks so incredibly good - but the combat itself feels like a glorified QuickTime event to me. Give me soul caliber/mortal Kombat, dmc or dark souls esque combat with these graphics this generation and I’ll be happy

DanielG165

NIfXTNE.jpeg
433czNy.jpeg
warCZCS.jpeg
XBBkCQV.jpeg
zWtLFJs.jpeg

This game man… Goodness gracious. That very bottom shot by the way? That’s gameplay. That was simply me taking the shot while Senua and her ally were talking, but I had full control over the former whilst they conversed. Again, that is RAW gameplay, and yet it looks essentially the exact same as the cutscene shot right above it.

Unbelievable.

With the graphics of HB2? Mmmm, I don’t see how feasible that is for this generation, honestly.
Why not? It’s just two people on screen and a background. I’m kinda confused why Hellblade 2 is considered so impossible to achieve by people. It seems to me a lot of the gameplay limitations were developers choice, like a lot of the environment seems like it could feasibly be explored if the developers let you, it’s all modeled, and those rapid environment changes that happen in a split second shows they could potentially have more going on right? Idk maybe I just don’t understand how this works

Also: I can’t believe Tekken looks the way it does, they could’ve achieved near this level if they tried harder I feel like

Last edited:

setoman

It’s crazy how none of these studios copy what works from each other. Hellblade 2 has to be one of the worst “game”. Yet has the best graphics ever.

How is this even possible? All through out the tech world you see rampant copying, Google, Microsoft, apple, Samsung does not do anything without the other copying it right away.

Yet you have the first 30 mins or so of this game basically you pressing the forward button to climb. Like WHAT???

Why not just copy and implement the well establish good climbing mechanics in games like tomb raider, uncharted, etc?

The same goes for combat

This is high ranking idiocy in the game studio industry.

Last edited:

hussar16

I’m not sure how you can be a graphics whore and say Hellblade 2 combat sucks? Doesn’t make any sense

These visuals should be the benchmark moving forward for combat based games
How can hellblade 2 be a benchmark when it was made and optomized to run on series s .that means it is not what it was suppose to look like .fist trailer show visuals above what we got on release

Yup. If that's the discussion you want in a thread dedicated to graphics because the forum doesn't have enough of it everywhere else, then you can be sure you can have the fuck at it alone. Enjoy your well-earned farce buddy.
A little side discussion isn’t derailing the thread when it goes along with graphics discussion. We don’t need arguments in here between us. Let’s keep cool and continue having discussions. Thanks :)

SlimySnake

It’s crazy how none of these studios copy what works from each other. Hellblade 2 has to be one of the worst “game”. Yet has the best graphics ever.

How is this even possible? All through out the tech world you see rampant copying, Google, Microsoft, apple, Samsung does not do anything without the other copying it right away.

Yet you have the first 30 mins or so of this game basically you pressing the forward button to climb. Like WHAT???

Why not just copy and implement the well establish good climbing mechanics in games like tomb raider, uncharted, etc?

The same goes for combat

This is high ranking idiocy in the game studio industry.
Ninja Theory dont need to copy anyone. they made enslaved and dmc. they know how to do platforming. they just didnt want to do it with this game.

i think this game is made by some nutjob at the top who hates gameplay. he wanted his 'vision' and that vision is a walking simulator while some cunts constantly bitch in your ear.

Heavenly sword, enslaved and dmc were not like this. they were all combat focused games, enslaved less so than the others which are action titles with no platforming, but enslaved had the perfect combo of story, setpieces, platforming and combat. They were up there with Uncharted 2 and 3 in terms of perfecting that combat, setpiece and platforming loop. they know how to make this game. they just didnt want to which is even worse imo. no one should be making a game like this in 2024.

Ninja Theory dont need to copy anyone. they made enslaved and dmc. they know how to do platforming. they just didnt want to do it with this game.

i think this game is made by some nutjob at the top who hates gameplay. he wanted his 'vision' and that vision is a walking simulator while some cunts constantly bitch in your ear.

Heavenly sword, enslaved and dmc were not like this. they were all combat focused games, enslaved less so than the others which are action titles with no platforming, but enslaved had the perfect combo of story, setpieces, platforming and combat. They were up there with Uncharted 2 and 3 in terms of perfecting that combat, setpiece and platforming loop. they know how to make this game. they just didnt want to which is even worse imo. no one should be making a game like this in 2024.
Every game isn’t going to be the same…

How can hellblade 2 be a benchmark when it was made and optomized to run on series s .that means it is not what it was suppose to look like .fist trailer show visuals above what we got on release
Visuals really aren’t far off at all from that initial trailer aside from water fx, the character models and environment are the same

I don’t even understand what they were going for with her constantly chatting in your ear. It’s not effective. Honestly the entire story wasn’t that good. Which if you’re gonna be a movie game at least make that part interesting.

SlimySnake

So visual novels and Telltale games are not games, based on what you say.
Nah they have constant gameplay as you are always making choices and engaging in adventure elements. I love adventure games like heavy rain, and Detroit. Beyond i didn’t like much but it has far more gameplay in every scene compared to hellblade 2 which goes an hour without anything happening. You press up and that’s it.

Hellblade 2 seriously ruined all other games for me.. The visual bar is just so far ahead of anything ever released visually that everything else just doesn't cut it. Rumor has it that GeOW 6 looks even better, not sure how they can pull that off but if anyone can do it it's the Coalition.

Interesting technical informations about Kingdom Come: Deliverance 2 :

Perhaps the most interesting were the statements regarding the technical side. Klíma, like many other developers, mentioned the limitation of the Xbox Series S and its 10GB of memory. So Warhorse's goal was to make the game 25% bigger, since XSS has 25% more memory than PS4/XONE.

Players on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X can expect 4K resolution (whether it's native, we'll have to wait, but I'd assume some upscale) and 30 FPS . The Xbox Series S will also offer 30 frames per second, but in 1440p resolution .

The positive news is that, according to Klíma, the game is now running stably above 30 FPS, and it looks like the optimization is doing very well. In any case, only one mode will be available, so unless the developers decide to unlock the frame rate, we will still have to put up with a limit of 30 frames per second on consoles. However, given the ambition and size of the project, this was to be expected, and 60 FPS was probably never on the table.

https://wccftech.com/kingdom-come-deliverance-2-scope-impacted-xbox-series-s-4k-30-fps/

Last edited:

Represent.

Hellblade 2 seriously ruined all other games for me.. The visual bar is just so far ahead of anything ever released visually that everything else just doesn't cut it. Rumor has it that GeOW 6 looks even better, not sure how they can pull that off but if anyone can do it it's the Coalition.
link to these rumors?

Represent.

SlimySnake

Perhaps the most interesting were the statements regarding the technical side. Klíma, like many other developers, mentioned the limitation of the Xbox Series S and its 10GB of memory. So Warhorse's goal was to make the game 25% bigger, since XSS has 25% more memory than PS4/XONE.
This sounds ridiculously stupid. Im guessing something got lost in translation.

SlimySnake

I .... don't really see the correlation? Not a developer but I believe the entire game world is not residing in memory at the same time, that's what culling and tiling is used for.
well, more streaming tech than culling and tiling which is basically done on the GPU while the data remains in the vram. But to say you will only make the game 25% bigger because there is 25% more vram is dumb. The world can be streamed in from the SSD as you traverse through it. With new streaming tech and 50-100x faster ssd speeds, even streaming should be a non-issue.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
well, more streaming tech than culling and tiling which is basically done on the GPU while the data remains in the vram. But to say you will only make the game 25% bigger because there is 25% more vram is dumb. The world can be streamed in from the SSD as you traverse through it. With new streaming tech and 50-100x faster ssd speeds, even streaming should be a non-issue.

Yeah, very likely something got lost in translation.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Just did probably the most cinematic combat sequence ive ever played in a video game. You fight maybe 20 enemies 1 on 1 but after every enemy take down you get other NPCs coming in for an assist or some other stupendously animated takedown. It is effectively a 10-15 minute setpiece that goes in and out of cutscenes without ever cutting. I dont like one shot takes in games anymore but this is why those one shot takes were created. It feels cohesive and for once cutscenes dont take you out of the gameplay experience. The fact that each of these takedowns is unique means they basically mocapped a long 10-15 minute battle and then stitched it together seamlessly with gameplay.

Yes, it helps that the game looks flawless during these combat sequences. It legit feels like you are playing a movie. I honestly dont think ive been this impressed by a realtime setpiece/cutscene since those TLOU2 chase scenes. It makes the 1v1 Abby vs Brute fight look like childs play. Took 4 years but TLOU2 has finally been topped in terms of cinematics and setpieces. This is fucking insane.

They do a couple more tracking shots and i dont think i will ever get over how awesome they look. I hate the walking gameplay and nearly quit the game last night after another hour long walking sequence but im glad i stuck around. This isnt just a new industry benchmark, it is cinematic excellence on a level rarely seen even in movies.
Is this Hellblade 2? I put it down an hour in, but this makes me want to pick it back up if so.

Yes, that section/sequence is fucking awesome.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
A slight tangent to the discussion, something that I thought was interesting in the last DF video.

One X is running native 1080p, Series S is running native 720p but using up-scaling (DF did not clarify which method, could be FSR2, could be something else. But perceptibly there's very little difference between the two.

Shows that high native pixel counts are kinda useless with modern up-scaling solutions, even the ones that don't require dedicated hardware like DLSS.

YgnHL5q.png
cBgCO2M.png

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
A slight tangent to the discussion, something that I thought was interesting in the last DF video.

One X is running native 1080p, Series S is running native 720p but using up-scaling (DF did not clarify which method, could be FSR2, could be something else. But perceptibly there's very little difference between the two.

Shows that high native pixel counts are kinda useless with modern up-scaling solutions, even the ones that don't require dedicated hardware like DLSS.

YgnHL5q.png
cBgCO2M.png

It's easy for upscalers to make static images look good.

Games in actual motion is a totally different conversation.

SlimySnake

Well, yeah of course, I was talking about the consoles.
Why would you expect 60 fps from consoles? In most cases, devs have to sacrifice half of the GPU horsepower to double the framerate and even then its not enough, and other graphics concessions have to be made that ultimately make the game look last gen as fuck as we have seen so many times this gen. RT is typically the first thing to go. Then level of detail and volumetric effects. And then the resolution is halved. And thats the best case scenario. Most games in the 60 fps modes are dropping to 720p and their reocnstruction techniques introduce all kinds of pixel crawl and ghosting that coupled with all the dialed down effects just completely removes the next gen sheen of these games.

I am convinced that most gamers have such a low opinion of graphics this gen because they are playing these games in shitty 60 fps modes.

Top Bottom