• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Radical_3d

Sure but botw also look way worse than the video that slimy posted, we were discussing if that type of graphic for a game like botw was possible or not.
It was not. If BotW looked worst than the demo and ran like ass, obviously something more complicated isn’t going to cut it. That’s what I meant with my previous post. The open world ness of that game and the sheer draw distances are just too much and very different to be compared to a closed tech demo.
By the way some of you are expecting 4TF for Switch 2 and it’s like, c’mon. It’s Nintendo. You should know better.

KXVXII9X

If you actually played ragnarock, you should know that they don't give you any solution right away, they just give you a basic hint or tell you how you can interact, far from ideal but the level of challenge of actually solving the puzzle is basically the same as nintendo puzzles.

They are both puzzles tailored for childs.

I know you like nintendo aesthetics, but we had this doscussion in the past, you can maintain a similar artstyle and have much better graphic like the already discussed botw vs biomutant.

Like, can you tell what is incredible art design wise in any of these pics??
078b54757e9a175399a062dea2d22770.jpg

3d432d07b36e91958fd0fb281a2f6dee.jpg

bb8a831eac828d8124936a10ba3eecff.jpg

A basic rock formation, a middling enemy model, a purple ray from the sky? A genric space station in the background? A generic lab?

I can pick random screen of fucking starfield that run laps around this stuff.

And it's honestly the same with the zeldas, the textures are so undetailed that everything look like the most generic slop.

What the fuck is impressive in this screen other than low res texture galore?

the-legend-of-zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-image.jpg

I just don't get it, it feels like nintendo fans fill the detail void with their imagination or some shit.

This pic of biomutant looks better than anything you can post of of the 2 zeldas while still being cartoony and far from realistic

txhM3jgPEDhhUKf85Ha2XA.jpg

biomutant-for-pc_9dyq.jpg

I guess it's ok to like lop poly\low res texture graphic, but i can't see the art design prowess neither tbh.

The good looking grass is the saving grace of almost any decent zelda pic.
The art direction, polish, interactivity, and animations blow Biomutant out of the water. More things are being calculated at once with Zelda BotW/TotK due to the physics simulation and powers. I bought and supported Biomutant up till release but that game isn't that polished and wasn't as smooth on my PS4 at the time.

The Switch is running on mobile hardware from 2017. Of course it won't be up to par with what we have now. No one should expect it too.

There is so much more to gaming than visual fidelity. I AM ready for a Switch 2 though and mostly what it needs is higher resolution, better performance, and a loy better antialiasing. With that said, I think it has held up amazingly for a 7 year old handheld console that was made to be economical.

GymWolf

The art direction, polish, interactivity, and animations blow Biomutant out of the water. More things are being calculated at once with Zelda BotW/TotK due to the physics simulation and powers. I bought and supported Biomutant up till release but that game isn't that polished and wasn't as smooth on my PS4 at the time.

The Switch is running on mobile hardware from 2017. Of course it won't be up to par with what we have now. No one should expect it too.

There is so much more to gaming than visual fidelity. I AM ready for a Switch 2 though and mostly what it needs is higher resolution, better performance, and a loy better antialiasing. With that said, I think it has held up amazingly for a 7 year old handheld console that was made to be economical.
Dude this is a topic about graphic, so of course we are gonna discuss mostly about graphic.

KXVXII9X

Dude this is a topic about graphic, so of course we are gonna discuss mostly about graphic.
Then why do so many of you continue to bring the Nintendo Switch into the conversation when graphical fidelity isn't what it is focused on? I frequent this thread often and know the discussions are about graphical fidelity. Can we get back on topic?

GymWolf

Then why do so many of you continue to bring the Nintendo Switch into the conversation when graphical fidelity isn't what it is focused on? I frequent this thread often and know the discussions are about graphical fidelity. Can we get back on topic?
Don't ask me, i didn't brought nintendo or how lazy their devs are, i just joined the discussion.

Last edited:

Lethal01

why the fuck am I looking at Nintendo Switch Screenshots in a graphical fidelity thread? Even uprezzed and modded to hell those graphics are PS3 era at best.....

Blame Slimy, He wanted to start a discussion on them. but every time he posts examples of what they "could be doing" he reminds me that in the end, I far prefer those "PS3 graphics" with an aesthetic I actually like just at a higher res and FPS on Switch 2 than whatever he suggests. Don't need a ton of detail just a few good color and shape language choices.

Which is why I immediately care a lot more when a game is mostly realistic, Metroid and doom are still pretty stylized to me.

Is Nintendo exempt from graphical conversations now because they’ve chosen to not prioritize it at all? They’re releasing a major game in 2025 (when the switch 2 supposedly comes out) that looks two generations behind. Metroid Prime used to be awesome looking upon release.

Lethal01

Is Nintendo exempt from graphical conversations now because they’ve chosen to not prioritize it at all?

Yeah, it's pretty silly to start insulting Nintendo devs cause their games look like they are running on mobile hardware since they are. We can mention it, but where does the convo go? "Nintendo should stop making what fans ant their home market support and do what I like while making less money".

I'm happy they continue to actually make choices that do well in the Japanese market unlike Sony

Last edited:
Yeah, it's pretty silly to start insulting Nintendo devs cause their games look like they are running on mobile hardware since they are. We can mention it, but where does the convo go? "Nintendo should stop making what fans ant their home market support and do what I like while making less money".

I'm happy they continue to actually make choices that do well in the Japanese market unlike Sony.
I mean to me it’s worth discussion - no Internet forum discussion is going to move the needle that much - but Nintendo could maintain all the things that are great about their games and push graphics forward. They used to do it all the time… with something like MP4 - it’s releasing in 2025 - why not take advantage of switch 2? I’m genuinely curious why fans don’t hold them to a higher standard.

PeteBull

why the fuck am I looking at Nintendo Switch Screenshots in a graphical fidelity thread? Even uprezzed and modded to hell those graphics are PS3 era at best.....

Ryan Reynolds Want GIF
Its like we would compare bodies of Arnold and CBum and some weirdo posted scrawny old grandpa's pic saying- but look, apreciate his personality =P

PeteBull

Is Nintendo exempt from graphical conversations now because they’ve chosen to not prioritize it at all? They’re releasing a major game in 2025 (when the switch 2 supposedly comes out) that looks two generations behind. Metroid Prime used to be awesome looking upon release.
For now all ninny games give vibes similar to ps3/xbox 360 era graphics wise, which isnt bad for outdated af handheld aka switch, but this topic is about graphic fidelity we expect this gen, not 2 gens ago ;D

Last edited:

Lethal01

I mean to me it’s worth discussion - no Internet forum discussion is going to move the needle that much - but Nintendo could maintain all the things that are great about their games and push graphics forward. They used to do it all the time…

Yes, they used to, but despite tools getting better the cost of making big realistic AAA games has skyrocketed and would just be a huge wall getting in the way of what fans really care about. Not to mention,it would also require them to split their games between a proper home console SKU and handheld which again, would only get in the way of the things most of the fans really care about.

I hold Nintendo to a very high standard when it comes to games, I just don't think super-detailed graphics are that important in stylized games that aren't going for a Pixar style. But honestly I don't really look at any game and think, HOW DARE THEY NOT HAVE AMAZING GRAPHICS.

I am curious How Metroid will look on Switch 2 though. but I'm more just curious and I'm confident it will have a solid upgrade about what new mechanics and gimmicks they got in Switch 2 games.

Last edited:
Yes, they used to, but despite tools getting better the cost of making big realistic AAA games has skyrocketed and would just be a huge wall getting in the way of what fans really care about. Not to mention,it would also require them to split their games between a proper home console SKU and handheld which again, would only get in the way of the things most of the fans really care about.

I hold Nintendo to a very high standard when it comes to games, I just don't think super-detailed graphics are that important in stylized games that aren't going for a Pixar style. But honestly I don't really look at any game and think, HOW DARE THEY NOT HAVE AMAZING GRAPHICS.

I am curious How Metroid will look on Switch 2 though. but I'm more just curious and I'm confident it will have a solid upgrade about what new mechanics and gimmicks they got in Switch 2 games.
Well that’s my other issue with the trailer itself - I saw nothing different gameplay wise. I’m sure there will be something that sets it apart - but the trailer itself was disappointing on that level as well for me.

Either way - I just would like to have the experience, however unrealistic it is, of looking at a Nintendo game and be blown away like I used to be. They can get a lot out of the hardware they do have, particularly with their art style - so my hope is even though switch 2 may not be competing with the ps5 on a technical level - with Nvidia, and Nintendo magic they can get something out there that looks genuinely amazing. MP4 I guess is just not gonna be that game

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
They can get a lot out of the hardware they do have, particularly with their art style - so my hope is even though switch 2 may not be competing with the ps5 on a technical level - with Nvidia, and Nintendo magic they can get something out there that looks genuinely amazing.
What MP4, and switch games in general have done, is bust the myth of Nintendo devs magically extracting more out of their hardware than other devs. It's been proven to be nonsense. The wii u was supposedly more powerful than the ps3 and 360 GPUs and it didnt translate to better looking games. Same goes for switch, at least in docked mode. There is no nintendo magic. no secret sauce. they are bound by tflops (or in their case gflops) just like everyone else and they dont have the graphics talent of Guerrilla Games, Naughty Dog, Rockstar, Epic Games, SSM and other big studios of that generation. Hell, even 343i was doing some amazing stuff on the Xbox 360.

Dont expect much from switch 2. Nintendo's magic comes from game design talent, not graphics fidelity. Those graphics guys left nintendo a long time ago.

Lethal01

What MP4, and switch games in general have done, is bust the myth of Nintendo devs magically extracting more out of their hardware than other devs. It's been proven to be nonsense. The wii u was supposedly more powerful than the ps3 and 360 GPUs and it didnt translate to better looking games. Same goes for switch, at least in docked mode. There is no nintendo magic. no secret sauce. they are bound by tflops (or in their case gflops) just like everyone else and they dont have the graphics talent of Guerrilla Games, Naughty Dog, Rockstar, Epic Games, SSM and other big studios of that generation. Hell, even 343i was doing some amazing stuff on the Xbox 360.

Dont expect much from switch 2. Nintendo's magic comes from game design talent, not graphics fidelity. Those graphics guys left nintendo a long time ago.

Yeah, There is no magic Nintendo devs are fantastic but all they can do is get the most out of their hardware, which is why they have the best-looking games on their machines, but it's still limited by that machine. That and they use visual styles that don't need to be super detailed.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

Definitely downgraded, but I don't care - Still looks very solid, and fucking FUN.
The amount of enemies on screen is also impressive. This game looks good.

An actual, regular multuplayer mode too, not some GAAS shit or battle royal. Straight up team deathmatch and CTF.

Day 1.

Definitely downgraded, but I don't care - Still looks very solid, and fucking FUN.

An actual, regular multuplayer mode too, not some GAAS shit or battle royal. Straight up team deathmatch and CTF.

Day 1.

This looks like everything I’ve been waiting for. Clearly next gen but the game is a fleshed out shooter with sp/co-op/mp all in one package just like the old days. Almost looks to good to be true

So now the dust has settled a bit, what do we think were the best next gen graphics shown across the various events? Lots to go at, but my top 5 would be something like

Lego Horizon Adventures
Doom
Dragon Age
Assassin's Creed
South of Midnight

I'd probably have had Phantom Blade 0 in there but the footage is such bad quality it's hard to tell how good the visuals really are.
Where is Fable? Wow.

Because there should be a certain standard, no matter the art style. Weak hardware and low resolution in 2024 doesn’t cut it, aliasing and outdated visuals don’t cut it either. Imagine PS2 fidelity on all of your AAA switch games, is that “ARt StYL3” or weak hardware and lazy devs?

Last edited:

Lethal01

Because there should be a certain standard, no matter the art style. Weak hardware and low resolution in 2024 doesn’t cut it, aliasing and outdated visuals don’t cut it either. Imagine PS2 fidelity on all of your AAA switch games, is that “ARt StYL3” or weak hardware and lazy devs?

I want to agree but also I hear people claiming that SOuth of midnights viruals aren't a stylistic choice and Nintendo would totally be going for detail realism if not for their hardware.

Nintendo needs higher res, stable framerate and less pop in those things certainly aren't stylistic choices.

Outside of that I'm pretty sure something like super mario wonder looks exactly how they want it to regardles of hardware

Last edited:
I want to agree but also I hear people claiming that SOuth of midnights viruals aren't a stylistic choice and Nintendo would totally be going for detail realism if not for their hardware.

Nintendo needs higher res, stable framerate and less pop in those things certainly aren't stylistic choices.

Outside of that I'm pretty sure something like super mario wonder looks exactly how they want it to regardles of hardware
I agree, just look at the Horizon lego game. Visuals like that with path tracing look CGI….

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I agree, just look at the Horizon lego game. Visuals like that with path tracing look CGI….
I’m actually surprised to see how good it looks on the switch. Yes it looks phenomenal on the ps5 but switch version without lumen still looks excellent. It’s probably the best looking switch game since the first Mario vs rabbids game that was made on Massive’s snowdrop engine.

Metroid has no excuse looking like that.

Lethal01

I’m actually surprised to see how good it looks on the switch. Yes it looks phenomenal on the ps5 but switch version without lumen still looks excellent. It’s probably the best looking switch game since the first Mario vs rabbids game that was made on Massive’s snowdrop engine.

Metroid has no excuse looking like that.

Prime 4 is more technically impressive. But the rabbid artstyle covers technical shortcomings since it's aiming for something simple.

mariorabbids2.jpg

The same goes for Lego Horizon, which looks similar to the new Zelda, it's a lot easier to get away with low resolution textures when you are dealing with objects that are literally a single color.

Again this is why artstyle is so important.

Last edited:

peish

Gold Member
Metroid Prime looks like dog shit. Looks worse than KZ2 and other PS3 era shooters. Any hope that Nintendo devs would take full advantage of the switch 2 is now gone. Nintendo devs are just as lazy as Sony and MS first party devs were at the start of the gen with all the cross gen and remake trash thrown our way from 2020-2022.

Just awful stuff. Game started dev in 2020. When next gen consoles were out. Shouldve never targeted base switch specs. If these devs had any shame we would be getting a game that looks at least as good as Killzone shadowfall based on the leaked specs for switch 2. Shameful stuff.

Never played a fps metroid games, but that looks janky in terms of graphics and gamplay

Check out "Still Wakes the Deep" that was released yesterday. It has a very successful setting using Unreal Engine 5.

Within the Walking Simulator genre, it is one of the ones that I am liking the most along with the Kona 2 that I recently finished.

Nice this is on pc gamepass iirc, will give it a try, Phil’s GP philosophy ftw

IDWhite

I'm not defending Nintendo developers, but you need to take into account that they are heavily limited by the console 25.6 GB/s of bandwidth and the low power budget. On Ps3 and Xbox 360 you have more than double on memory bandwidth and dedicated designs on CPU and GPU. At that time console hardware was the most powerful on the market and devs make a lot more code to the metal.

I've said it multiple times: The era of super optimized engines with handcrafted code to specific hardware is over. Although we continue seeing some devs making some things more specific to certain hardware they do not reach the same level as before. Now all machines are converging to PC paradigm.

GymWolf

Day 1.

Super meh.

Hopefully the game is not just fighting mindless hordes all the time.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

Blame Slimy, He wanted to start a discussion on them. but every time he posts examples of what they "could be doing" he reminds me that in the end, I far prefer those "PS3 graphics" with an aesthetic I actually like just at a higher res and FPS on Switch 2 than whatever he suggests. Don't need a ton of detail just a few good color and shape language choices.

Which is why I immediately care a lot more when a game is mostly realistic, Metroid and doom are still pretty stylized to me.

I think at this point he basically just has to spew out some laughably hyperbolic nonsense about "lazy devs" or whatever on pretty much a daily basis, basically regardless of the subject matter. He can't really complain about current gen games anymore given that nearly everything shown recently looks excellent, so I guess Nintendo and their anti-fidelity mania is all he's got left.

Hunnybun

Well it's just a stupid discussion to have.

They've chosen their path and its working spectacularly. It is what it is. It's pathetic to complain about it afresh each time they do exactly what we already knew they were gonna do anyway.

Well it's just a stupid discussion to have.

They've chosen their path and its working spectacularly. It is what it is. It's pathetic to complain about it afresh each time they do exactly what we already knew they were gonna do anyway.
It worked spectacularly for the Wii and the switch. Remains to be seen how it will work in the future. I did not expect Metroid prime 4 to look that dated at all. Switch 2 releases next year I would’ve figured they’d have made it a launch title and a switch 2 showcase

Hunnybun

It worked spectacularly for the Wii and the switch. Remains to be seen how it will work in the future. I did not expect Metroid prime 4 to look that dated at all. Switch 2 releases next year I would’ve figured they’d have made it a launch title and a switch 2 showcase

Well that just comes down to a bad prediction on your part then.

The game has been in development for years and has obviously gone through some troubles. Unless they'd specifically rebooted it as a cross gen effort there was no reason to think it was anything other than a seriously delayed Switch One title.

Darsxx82

So now the dust has settled a bit, what do we think were the best next gen graphics shown across the various events? Lots to go at, but my top 5 would be something like

Lego Horizon Adventures
Doom
Dragon Age
Assassin's Creed
South of Midnight

I'd probably have had Phantom Blade 0 in there but the footage is such bad quality it's hard to tell how good the visuals really are.
Fable, MFS 2024, PerfectDark, Expedition 33, Wukong, Stalker 2... I think can look better than these games in the list. (Fable for sure)

PeteBull

Lego Horizon Adventures
Doom
Dragon Age
Assassin's Creed
South of Midnight

Doom looked trully next gen, but still, new mgs3 remaster outlassed the rest imo :p

MDSLKTR

Gold Member
Check out "Still Wakes the Deep" that was released yesterday. It has a very successful setting using Unreal Engine 5.

Within the Walking Simulator genre, it is one of the ones that I am liking the most along with the Kona 2 that I recently finished.

This sold me on a download. I am currently enjoying Hellblade 2, will check it out while still in a walking sim mood.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I'm just going to chime in and say that while Still Wakes the Deep looks decent, it's not particularly impressive at all on a technical level. Lots of muddy textures, inconsistent LOD, poor character models, etc... It's the art direction that largely carries this one.

With that said, it can definitely be pretty at times. A few of my shots:

53806226716_20eb6dd5dd_o.png

53806554179_cf7db8cd43_o.png

53806469613_11e63b8b62_o.png

Last edited:

PeteBull

The game has a very limited scope and interactions and still has very low-resolution textures and disappointing foliage. There is something really off about the lighting too.
Lets wait till actual release, to me it looks either pc version trailer or straight up bullshot, thats how good it looks, especially that native 4k full fat sharpness, not some pixelated blur like in hellblade2 which was even more limited scope/interactions and yet got big praise here :p

Top Bottom