• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The game has a very limited scope and interactions and still has very low-resolution textures and disappointing foliage. There is something really off about the lighting too.
Its a native 4k 30 fps game on consoles. Just a sheer waste of graphics horsepower that couldve been used to improve visual fidelity.

Hellblade 2 looks a generation ahead of this. just goes to show no engine is magic.

SABRE220

Its a native 4k 30 fps game on consoles. Just a sheer waste of graphics horsepower that couldve been used to improve visual fidelity.

Hellblade 2 looks a generation ahead of this. just goes to show no engine is magic.
Yeah that explains it, I mean it looks decent for that res but yeah clearly they decided to go the lowest effort route. If they just improved the textures for the res it would look good but clearly could have looked a lot more impressive if they targeted 1080/1440p with tuaa lumen/nanite etc.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Some direct feed pictures from Still Wakes the Deep on Series X Quality mode.

The IQ is a little muddy and character models are nowhere near modern games, it's more the atmosphere. The way they use fogging in the game gives me hope for SH2 remake, as in the engine can do it pretty well.

rbQNweb.jpeg

CcJ5ziv.jpeg

VI78JPc.jpeg

vG9rwCF.jpeg

PeteBull

There's no way the GTA6 PS5/XS release game is gonna look like that trailer
Obviously but i wonder how many cuts we gonna get and what exactly they will be, i would guess ps5pr0 version will at least hold that 1440p30 stable, rip series S tho, that thing gonna have switch like resolution or will blow itself up trying ;D

2nd trailer will give us some hints for sure, if game looks just as good/we see actual gameplay then we can keep our hopes high, if gameplay looks nothing like reveal or they still dont show gameplay- then we know something fishy is going on.
Yes. I’m excited for their deep dive video. Those are 1:1 with the final release

You all now what I’m talking about? Where they get some girl or guy with a perfect podcast/radio voice to layout alllll the world and gameplay stuff. I love those

Seems a bit weird to be doubting the GTA 6 trailer now given we've just seen about 10 other next gen reveals that all look varying levels of spectacular. The generation is finally hitting its stride and it's clear now the machines are perfectly capable of great things. Just took a while to get past those cross gen engines.
Is there is one thing, Rockstar delivers when it comes to visuals. Red Dead Redemption 2 is still spectacular. We may be looking at potentially a lower resolution towards the 1080p range but that's about it. This thing has the budget of an Apollo rocket.

It's that crowd density I'm calling bullshit on, sure it'll look a million dollars but it won't look "that" good with "that" level of crowd density, no fucking way

I mean CP 2077 has pretty heavy crowd density and it looks great. that beach shot is just for show and even if it wasnt, at that view, its probably using lowest poly count on models because it wont show detailed faces because its so far away. I do however doubt there will be beaches with 50+ people populating them while you are ramming them all with a truck and 6* police chase. Some shots are made just for opening scenes etc.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

MFS 2024 new info. Thanks to @reksveks on Era.

If the level of visual fidelity was already insane in MFS 2020, now it seems it will rise exponentially. From vegetation, terrain, fauna, people on the ground, ultra-detailed ships, all the oil plants in the world reproduced, lighting, real-time effects... It is clear that DF is going to have a long analysis and surely a serious candidate to better graphics of 2024.

SUMMARY MSFSEXPO video.

Some MSFS 2024 updates out of fsexpo

- 2020 will keep getting updates but won't be monthly.
- 15m players for msfs2020, 1bn flight sessions.
- currently 800 devs across Asobo and partners
- ground is now 3d instead of 2d plus texture.
- can fly through soft body objects and they can tear. More simulation of soft body objects moving.
- real walkable character which you can use in flight checks (got alot of cheers)
- RT shadows
at least on the cockpit panel
- Ropes and everything is simulated in aerial advertising.
- clapping for updated CFD simulation which includes every plane.
- new service/datastream to now include ships that gets updated every 30 secs,
- boats move with the waves aka water is simulated.
- improved rendering of propellers.
- ground deformation now happens and includes the material aka grass flattens and if you stall whilst landing, it has a different impact.
- more animals, more information coming in
- better lighting at sunset/sunrise cause it now better accounts for the atmosphere.
- hot air balloons and blimps obviously included.
- 13 new biomes (mangrove, rainforest)
- seasons now included (knew this before)
- aurora borealis now being simulated

That's it for the trailer walkthrough

Last edited:
More BS from talking heads. They want one console so that they can feed you BS products and there is no other option. The gaming industry is an INDUSTRY for a reason. Competition and options breed better products and innovation. This opinion by Shawn Layden is part of the you will own nothing and be happy agenda…

Last edited:
Cyberpunk is like ac unity npcs don't have daily routine
I mean CP 2077 has pretty heavy crowd density and it looks great. that beach shot is just for show and even if it wasnt, at that view, its probably using lowest poly count on models because it wont show detailed faces because its so far away. I do however doubt there will be beaches with 50+ people populating them while you are ramming them all with a truck and 6* police chase. Some shots are made just for opening scenes etc.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I'm replaying dish2 on pc and there is something in the artstyle of this game that make it look great even if it's pretty old.

How the fuck we went from this to fucking redfall?

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Some direct feed pictures from Still Wakes the Deep on Series X Quality mode.

The IQ is a little muddy and character models are nowhere near modern games, it's more the atmosphere. The way they use fogging in the game gives me hope for SH2 remake, as in the engine can do it pretty well.

rbQNweb.jpeg

CcJ5ziv.jpeg

VI78JPc.jpeg

vG9rwCF.jpeg
Is this one of those UE5 games that look way better in stills than they do in motion because my god that looks stunning.

Unfortunately, after Hellblade 2 i have zero desire to play through another walking simulator so will pass on this.

Darsxx82

I'm replaying dish2 on pc and there is something in the artstyle of this game that make it look great even if it's pretty old.

How the fuck we went from this to fucking redfall?
Different Studios. Arkan Austin previously used Cryengine for Prey and Redfall uses UEngine4. Dishonored 2 used VoidEngine which is a modified version of IDtech5 and was developed by Arkan Lyon (Blade)

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Is this one of those UE5 games that look way better in stills than they do in motion because my god that looks stunning.

Unfortunately, after Hellblade 2 i have zero desire to play through another walking simulator so will pass on this.

It's a very good looking game, but has that "AA" feel. Textures lack detail when you look at them up close and character models are bad. But honestly it's frequently pretty stunning for what it is. It interestingly looks better and better the further you progress in the game.

Here's some of my shots on PC:

53812910223_ba38b02489_o.png

53812910433_86880ee2bb_o.png

53811739022_cd88487e0a_o.png

53812666476_f3ed5a8d16_o.png

53812666741_54cc826d12_o.png

SlimySnake

More BS from talking heads. They want one console so that they can feed you BS products and there is no other option. The gaming industry is an INDUSTRY for a reason. Competition and options breed better products and innovation. This opinion by Shawn Layden is part of the you will own nothing and be happy agenda…

The cross gen collusion from both MS and Sony at the start of this generation was basically the first step to this. They realized that they dont need to have high end AAA next gen exclusive software to sell their expensive boxes. Currently there is no competition with Nintendo effectively conceding the console market to focus on low tier handhelds, and MS effectively conceding to Sony through sheer incompetence.

i would not expect the PS6 until 2028 and i would not expect PS6 exclusive titles until 2031. Zero competition means zero incentive to push the bar.

Wait till you play it on 4K, even just a 32" display.....

it will look like a game, with all the gamey visual flaws.
most games i play (aside from some UE5 exceptions) look better on my tv than they do in gifs, youtube videos and even screenshots. The lack of HDR, addition of compression artifacts and loss of all kinds of detail from volumetric effects to small geometric detail completely undersells most games.

I find that gifs make last gen games or even PS360 era games like killzone and uncharted look better because they hide the lack of detail in those small aspect ratios. GTA6 actually looks very gamey compared to UE5 demos and other games, and thats by design. They are focusing on delivering an unprecedented amount of detail. Be it in terms of NPC density or just sheer level of detail packed in every shot. Flamingos, convenience store objects, packed strip clubs, beaches etc. it already looks like a game, just one with the most insane level of detail we've ever seen.

amigastar

The new MSFS 2024 will look incredible i'm sure.
The new simulator will feature an entirly 3D ground environment, utilizing Azure AI to create detailed landscapes with trees, rocks, and grass. This is a significant step forwards from MSFS 2020, that features a 2D ground “with a texture” on top, according to Asobo’s Sebastian Wloch.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

The water in UE5 looks like shit, it looked like shit in Hellblade 2 too, smeary 240p choppy mess.
I actually thought that the waves looked excellent. The streams in some of the levels looked way better than they do in other games as well. They felt like actual water flowing, not a bad texture. Did you play on series s by any chance?

You can see the streams here on the left.
oeNno0Q.gif

Waves are even better than HFW which had the best waves tech.

xCbESWi.gif

I also really like the water in Brothers which to me is the second best looking UE5 game after hellblade 2.

I8zwJTg.gif

mrqs

This shot looked uneblievable

9adb4810c078bf4002e030486168f014
I'm still really questioning if they can actually get that much stuff on-screen at all. Looks like something that could be really downgraded by the game release. The amount of characters and things is a bit too insane to find believable imo.

amigastar

I'm still really questioning if they can actually get that much stuff on-screen at all. Looks like something that could be really downgraded by the game release. The amount of characters and things is a bit too insane to find believable imo.
Yeah, it may have been tweaked for the trailer, it doesn't guarantee it will look the same in the final version.

I actually thought that the waves looked excellent. The streams in some of the levels looked way better than they do in other games as well. They felt like actual water flowing, not a bad texture. Did you play on series s by any chance?

You can see the streams here on the left.
oeNno0Q.gif

Waves are even better than HFW which had the best waves tech.

xCbESWi.gif

I also really like the water in Brothers which to me is the second best looking UE5 game after hellblade 2.

I8zwJTg.gif
The waves looked great but there was no interactivity at all which made it a little less impressive

SlimySnake

indie devs have figured out the NPC numbers on modern CPUs.

battlefieldAztec.gif

IIRC, matrix UE5 demo had 35k pedestrians being governed in realtime by their system. I think Rockstar with their 3000 devs probably have even better systems to handle the insane number of NPCs and NPC variety we saw at the beach and strip clubs. That said, with RDR2 and even GTA5, they had a lot of scripted stuff for pedestrians which is something no other dev can do.

winjer

indie devs have figured out the NPC numbers on modern CPUs.

battlefieldAztec.gif

That game only runs the closer NPCs to the player on the CPU.
The rest is procedurally generated on the GPU. A bit like geometry instancing, but with animations.
But that means that most NPCs don't have the same level of physics and AI as the CPU managed NPCs.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
GTA6 is the one game I have faith in not being downgraded at all.
You need 4 things to make next level games.

Talent. Budget. Team size. Ambition.

They have all 4.

Especially budget and team size.

Their budget is going to allow them to do things people think are impossible

Top Bottom